Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3077      
       3079              4321       4322       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3078 #1 · p.3078 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter - I must say these car images are great!

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:25 AM
pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3078 #2 · p.3078 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
John, I can see what you mean. Cutting a rectangle out of the center of that shot would take away much more than the 'ears' detract.

I've never done any stitching, I am presuming that doing a similar shot with a rectilinear lens would give you less 'ears' to chop off? How would the shot differ in looks if you had done it with a 20mm?

There is some twisting along the edges when stitching with the 20mm or a 14mm, but not as extreme as the above panorama. If it is blue sky that is missing, I usually do content aware fill instead of cropping, but if there are large chunks of image missing like in John's image, that doesn't really work. I just shoot extra coverage whenever possible on panoramas, and usually frame each image vertically with plenty of overlap when using wide lenses, so you don't lose much when you crop. One thing to watch out for is the horizon line when you don't have a tripod - it's easy to wander up and down and then you have to crop to get it in a rectangular frame again.

I love how clean and smooth these panoramas look - calm waters and sky.

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:31 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3078 #3 · p.3078 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
I had just one - from the same angle, full frame here, no crop
600mmm f/4.0 at f/8.0 1/800s ISO 200

While looking for the above image, I found another really sharp image, but the fringing was really tough to remove. I had to get creative to get a clean image from this RAW file since you can't do local CA corrections in Camera Raw

When I finally got rid of all red and purple fringing, the driver's helmet paint and some of the thin red stripes next to the orange on the main body of the car suddenly had gray outlines. Even
...Show more

Hi Peter,
I think your friend (with the excellent taste in names) will certainly want a print of this one, it's great. The work on the CA correction is really good too, excellent thinking. Yes, I don't think you can do layers in LR. I think in LR5 there is a function that can let you do some of the same things through a different method, but I have yet to play around in it properly.

I haven't commented on them yet, but your track day series are excellent. Thanks for sharing but also at the same time your thoughts on the TC16A and also about your technique. It's sharing like this that can really help people like me improve our technique and certainly it gives me the confidence to try something new.

KR,
Mark.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:25 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3078 #4 · p.3078 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John, lovely shots you have been posting coming from the snowy mountains. Lovely, cools me off just looking. I'm glad the family made it to the top and got to appreciate the view.

Americo - Nice shots based on the radio play.

Leighton, as a New Zealander I can appreciate some fine lamb. I hope the taste test was as delicious as the photos.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:29 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3078 #5 · p.3078 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here are some from the 180mm (still loving this lens) and the 24mm for the first & last shot. I think with the 85mm in the middle it makes a nice trinity of lenses to carry around, just add tubes and the TC201 and sorted for any eventuality.

Guess which country I was in...

Another Lily

Possibly the stupidest birds alive, the Moorhen.

Flowers with the 180mm

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:36 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3078 #6 · p.3078 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
There is some twisting along the edges when stitching with the 20mm or a 14mm, but not as extreme as the above panorama. If it is blue sky that is missing, I usually do content aware fill instead of cropping, but if there are large chunks of image missing like in John's image, that doesn't really work. I just shoot extra coverage whenever possible on panoramas, and usually frame each image vertically with plenty of overlap when using wide lenses, so you don't lose much when you crop. One thing to watch out for is the horizon line when you
...Show more

Excellent advice!

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:03 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3078 #7 · p.3078 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Here are some from the 180mm (still loving this lens) and the 24mm for the first & last shot. I think with the 85mm in the middle it makes a nice trinity of lenses to carry around, just add tubes and the TC201 and sorted for any eventuality.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/83/840683.jpg

Nice Ursa Major!

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:04 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3078 #8 · p.3078 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the lamb comments everyone, it WAS delicious!

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3078 #9 · p.3078 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Another 3-image pano with the 16/3.5 AI - you get more than 180 deg. FOV for sure.
Sometimes I like to keep the "ears" that PTGui Pro leaves behind because I just hate clipping off stuff from a scene like this.

Morning shot looking straight North across the Straight of Juan de Fuca towards Vancouver island. Love mornings like these with the clear blue sky and a calm ocean with a somewhat low tide.

Very nice John, now see if you can do a 360.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3078 #10 · p.3078 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
600mm with TC-16a f/8.0 1/640s ISO 400

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/600mmf4.0/DSC_3941_web.jpg

I actually like this angle better than the "Dutch angle" ones. But I know you had to provide those for publication purposes.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.3078 #11 · p.3078 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/81/840681.jpg

Love this Mark! Obviously you've never raised domestic Turkeys. When they're young and you raise them in a pen outside, if a thunderstorm comes up, they will actually look up with their mouths open and drown! Don't believe me? Google it.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3078 #12 · p.3078 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ok, it's time for true confessions.

Since Ratty (Tom) has come out of the closet, it's time I did. My first name, and the one I go by around these parts is Tom (which a few of you already knew). Leighton is my middle name and you all know me by this and here's the reason why. When I first registered on some forums back in 2004 the name Tom was all used up in all it's different configurations. So I chose my middle name of Leighton. Even on DPreview Leighton was used so I had to settle for Leighton W. There, I feel better and I'll be able to sleep at night once again!

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3078 #13 · p.3078 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Ok, it's time for true confessions.

Since Ratty (Tom) has come out of the closet, it's time I did. My first name, and the one I go by around these parts is Tom (which a few of you already knew). Leighton is my middle name and you all know me by this and here's the reason why. When I first registered on some forums back in 2004 the name Tom was all used up in all it's different configurations. So I chose my middle name of Leighton. Even on DPreview Leighton was used so I had to settle
...Show more

Hilarious! Always room for more Tom's.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3078 #14 · p.3078 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I got my first roll of slide film back from the lab today. A day early! Provia 100F, shot through the Nikkor 24mm f/2.0 AIS lens.

3 scenes from Jing'an Park.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3078 #15 · p.3078 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
I got my first roll of slide film back from the lab today. A day early! Provia 100F, shot through the Nikkor 24mm f/2.0 AIS lens.

3 scenes from Jing'an Park.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2853/9362418281_6be12fa699_b.jpg

I like this very much.
Completely different look from your camera. I used some Provia in my day but I never liked it as much as Kodachrome 64 or Velvia.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3078 #16 · p.3078 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yes, I am absolutely in love with this film. Oh. My. God. The COLORS! Last week I bought 10 boxes of Ektar negative film for color work. DANG!! I wish I waited a week as I would load up like crazy with Provia. I gotta burn through this Ektar film, FAST.

I love the shot with the two men cooling off in the park (it was over 100 F and 75% humidity!). So much contrast in there amongst the color.

Thanks for looking! More coming......

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3078 #17 · p.3078 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks John and Leighton,

leighton w wrote:
Love this Mark! Obviously you've never raised domestic Turkeys. When they're young and you raise them in a pen outside, if a thunderstorm comes up, they will actually look up with their mouths open and drown! Don't believe me? Google it.

That sounds pretty stupid. Ok, the Turkeys might just win it.

This mama had a young (days old) chick with her. In the 3 days i was there she lost the chick 3 times. She led it up to a flight of stairs and then flew to the top, the chick of course was not big enough to follow and got left behind, had to be rescued so I built a small book staircase for the chick to climb up. Next day the chick got down onto the swimming pool which had a cover on it but then couldn't climb off again because of the large gap between the cover down at water level and the ground level around the pool. The chick decided the best place to hide from rescue was the pool filter, just as we got the filter cover off she took off and eventually finally my wife managed to catch it and lift her out of the pool. I don't know how on day 3 the chick got onto the trampoline, it defies logic, but it did, not easy to catch (actually, easy to catch, hard not to accidently step on).

The are related to a species back in NZ called the Phukehko (Ben would also know this bird as the Purple Moorhen) which are similarly spectacularly stupid.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3078 #18 · p.3078 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I like this very much.
Completely different look from your camera. I used some Provia in my day but I never liked it as much as Kodachrome 64 or Velvia.

I agree, this is a great image Tom. I look forward to seeing some more.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3078 #19 · p.3078 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you. Here are some more. Across the street from Jing'an park is Jing'an Temple. This is a Buddhist temple located in the super rich downtown area of Shanghai. It is pretty tacky from the outside (lots of stores built into the temple walls), but inside, not too bad.

First, from the outside.

From a distance....

Close up....

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.3078 #20 · p.3078 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I like this very much.

I also didn't know you could shoot scenes like this with Provia. The third frame is my favorite, too.

I used to shoot Provia and Velvia exclusively, because the car colors really pop. Portraits were a problem with those films, very saturated and red, but we already had photoshop to correct some of it (version 4...). Scanners have come a long way, too - shadows usually were dark with little or no detail We used that sometimes as part of the signature of slide film, dropping backgrounds into solid black, but that got boring after a while.

Velvia was my favorite film, because I lean towards the extreme rendering it provides, but I shot Provia about 90% of the time. You could push it one stop without too much penalty, which was a huge thing when shooting racing. Shadows got quite muddy, though. I never shot the new version of it, but I assume it is a much better film now.

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:16 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password