Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3070      
       3072              4068       4069       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3071 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So funny to see two 16mm shots arriving, one taken with a DX camera that has practically no linear distortion and one taken with an FX camera that gives us fisheye deliciousness. Of course, we know that from your experience Ray with the D7000. Clearly, this is a very useful lens. It is in my camera bag... now needs to get on the camera...

Jul 23, 2013 at 03:15 AM
MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3071 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So true Curtis. I loved it on my D7000 and even more on my D600

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:29 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3071 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I love the 16mm, optically a gem, and am learning to love the 15mm, not as good but so straight!

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 a place to read in San Diego by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 a place to read in San Diego 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 a place to read in San Diego 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:26 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3071 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Your shots with the 15 f/3.5 are exceptional Rafael. The minimal distortion at that width is remarkable. Your most recent photos, first of the autos and then of this ranch are a delight. You have lenses in your kit that no one else in our assemblage have, so we rely on you to entertain us. When it comes to wide, you're THE MAN...

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:02 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3071 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

If you need some more 16/3.5 space warping here's a few more from last week . . .

NIKON D800    16mm    f/8.0    1/350s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D800    16mm    f/8.0    1/30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D800    16mm    f/8.0    1/350s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D800    16mm    f/8.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:14 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3071 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Scott and RM.

RM - Don't see too many with the 85 f2, thanks for sharing these. Do you remember if the first of these was wide open?

Scott - Being an Architect, it's no wonder you liked Williamsburg so much.

Dylan - Good use of the 16, even caught your finger.

Rafael - It's amazing how straight that 15 performs.

John - I like the Walla-Walla. We just harvested a whole bunch of Walla-walla onions yesterday!

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:52 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3071 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just caame across this New York Times photoblog - Photographing the part of Buddhism that can't be seen.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/the-inner-lives-of-buddhist-monks/?src=twrhp

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3071 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Scott and RM.

RM - Don't see too many with the 85 f2, thanks for sharing these. Do you remember if the first of these was wide open?

Thank you. That shot was either f/2 or f/2.8. I dont think I have shot much more stopped down than that.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3071 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Just caame across this New York Times photoblog - Photographing the part of Buddhism that can't be seen.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/the-inner-lives-of-buddhist-monks/?src=twrhp

What a fantastic article. Truly outstanding find. Thank you for sharing! I have photographed Buddhist temples all across Asia. Far more than I can count, and sadly far more than I can remember. I wish I had the names of all the temples I have been to. I've been to 30 or more temples in Japan alone, 20 or so in Thailand, 10-15 in Taiwan, 10 or so in Singapore, around 15 in Korea, 50 or more in China(!) and one in the US (my home temple, still the finest temple I've ever seen).

I of course agree when the author wrote, "he discovered that Buddhism and photography have much in common, including observation, empathy and being fully in the moment."

That [to me] is what film photography is all about, being in the moment. I take the shot, and it's done. No chimping, no checking, no reshooting. For me, digital photography became a way to lose the moment. Always chimping after a shot, always shooting more than necessary, coming back from a day's shoot with hundreds of photographs, filling up hard drive after hard drive with tens of thousands of images.

I wanted to get back to the meditative style of photography and digital was not leading me there. Somehow I stumbled onto a Nikon FM2 and peace returned!

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3071 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:

rattymouse wrote:
What a fantastic article. Truly outstanding find. Thank you for sharing! I have photographed Buddhist temples all across Asia. Far more than I can count, and sadly far more than I can remember. I wish I had the names of all the temples I have been to. I've been to 30 or more temples in Japan alone, 20 or so in Thailand, 10-15 in Taiwan, 10 or so in Singapore, around 15 in Korea, 50 or more in China(!) and one in the US (my home temple, still the finest temple I've ever seen).

I of course agree when the
...Show more

Interesting article, and interesting perspective you have on photography RM. But for me, I'm just the opposite. Digital has made me MORE into photography than I ever was with film. Having the freedom to shoot as much as I like without the worry of spending the money for film and processing. I'm also very much into the post production side of this art, probably as much as the picture taking itself. I did develop B&W myself in the old days, but color developing was out of my reach.

I say all of that to say this...photography is different for all that enjoy it and there's no wrong way, it's all good.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rattymouse
• • • •
p.3071 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

In no way do I project my needs or habits onto anyone. This is all a very personal decision, for everyone.

Digital was so expensive for me it was not even funny. Canon 5D w/ 20mm, 35mmL, 50mm, 85L, 100 macro, 300L. I couldnt be happy with all that for more than a few years. Then I bought various non DSLR Fuji cameras...no luck there. Then got a Fuji S5 Pro SLR w/4 Nikon AF lenses, which kept me going for all of 2 years. All the while getting a Fuji X100, X10, and XF1. And a Sigma DP2M.

None of that gear could get me to where I wanted to be. None of it.

Since shooting film, I have bought TWO cameras. My Fuji GA645 and Nikon FM2. Total price, $600. I'm two years into this with the GA645 and have no itch to move on. At all. The cost of these manual focus lenses are just hilarious compared to my other lenses. My Canon 85 L alone cost more than my 4 AIS lenses!! Same thing with my Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 lens.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3071 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
In no way do I project my needs or habits onto anyone. This is all a very personal decision, for everyone.

Oh, I didn't think that for one minute. I was simply saying what I found freeing in photography. In fact, I have the utmost respect for you and other film shooters that keep that era alive. I think it's great that you and others share your work with film, it certainly has a look all it's own. And one I very much enjoy looking at.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3071 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Oh, I didn't think that for one minute. I was simply saying what I found freeing in photography. In fact, I have the utmost respect for you and other film shooters that keep that era alive. I think it's great that you and others share your work with film, it certainly has a look all it's own. And one I very much enjoy looking at.

Yeah, that's another unexpected side benefit, a connection to a bygone era. We are seriously in danger of losing part of our photographic heritage if Fuji and Kodak cease making film. Hopefully Ilford will hang on longer, but the future for Kodak and Fuji is not at all certain. I want to make images with silver halide film while it is still available.

Now is the golden age to be shooting film. The cameras are dirt cheap, and made waaay better than anything today. I could throw my Nikon FM2 down a flight of stairs and I bet it would still work. The camera is a tank. Incredibly wonderful holding that metal camera. Mine took a big hit from the previous owner, with a nice dent on one side. My Fuji GA645 was a $1600 camera back before digital. I bought it in mint condition for $400. What an absolute bargain. A roll of Kodak or Fuji color film costs $2 still for the general purpose films. The pro films are a bit more. Only slide film is very expensive. Sadly those days seem to be coming to a close. Medium format slides are just stunningly beautiful to look at. There is no digital equivalent there.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3071 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:

leighton w wrote:

rattymouse wrote:
Yeah, that's another unexpected side benefit, a connection to a bygone era. We are seriously in danger of losing part of our photographic heritage if Fuji and Kodak cease making film. Hopefully Ilford will hang on longer, but the future for Kodak and Fuji is not at all certain. I want to make images with silver halide film while it is still available.

Now is the golden age to be shooting film. The cameras are dirt cheap, and made waaay better than anything today. I could throw my Nikon FM2 down a flight of stairs and I bet it would
...Show more

I know what you mean about the build quality. I had the F3 and to this day it remains my favorite camera to hold and operate. I made the mistake though of buying the motor drive, it was so cool, but man did THAT burn up a roll.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3071 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Regarding Film and it going to the wayside: Is that not the way of things? Look at the golden age of sail, chariots, or any other human technology. Something "more efficient" (notice I did not say 'better') comes along and people move to that and the old technology is supplanted with only a few practitioners who keep it alive for nostalgic reasons.

Except for the reducing number of available films and processing centers, I can see where it is the "Golden Age" of film ... at least for a short time longer.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3071 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Awesome two shots of a Mclaren Peter. Best car livery EVER.

thanks - the red and orange of these cars is very difficult to get right in post - it's so saturated, you have to back off the exposure quite a pit, or you blow out detail in these areas.

600mm f/4 with TC-16A again, ISO400

There was an old Indycar in the same color scheme, but it only ran one lap. Old cars do have a lot of issues - this one didn't run for very long either:

The detail in these images at full 960mm is stunning, well beyond anything I ever saw on a film scan taken with similar lenses in the 90s. A D600 sensor is so ridiculously ahead of slide film, I can see the lint on the sock of the driver where he has the toe cut off the shoe. I don't miss film any longer.

Sometimes you nail a shot and you immediately see in camera RAW that this one is a winner. So far I think this is the sharpest shot I took in that corner:

100% crop shows what I am talking about - tape and stone chips on the mirror, wrinkles in face, every detail of the helmet, it's all there:

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:12 PM
designdog
• •
p.3071 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Time to give a little back to this forum.

I have a copy of the Thom Hogan Complete Guide to the D700 (DVD and printed To Go manual) as well as the Nikon D700 book by David Busch. All are in as new condition. Since I now have a D800, and the respective editions for that camera, I certainly don't need these.

So I offer this at no charge to anyone here. Just estimate the shipping costs, paypal me, and I will box them up and send them to you. Be realistic, as the book is big and heavy.

First come, to my PM, first served...

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:23 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3071 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
That [to me] is what film photography is all about, being in the moment. I take the shot, and it's done. No chimping, no checking, no reshooting. For me, digital photography became a way to lose the moment. Always chimping after a shot, always shooting more than necessary, coming back from a day's shoot with hundreds of photographs, filling up hard drive after hard drive with tens of thousands of images.

I resemble that remark (except for the chimping - no time for that, I am still shooting). Thing is, there were hundreds of images in my life while shooting film when I failed in that moment, and found out a week later that I should have taken another one. Not sure what's so bad about avoiding that. It's the difference between a poorly exposed or motion blurred failed photo and having a good image. I'm not attached to film, probably because I spent thousands of dollars a year on it even when I tried to conserve it (due to cost). I'm also not attached to the process of taking photos on film or digital - I'm a 'whatever works' guy and use whatever tools are available to me in a given situation (if I can afford it). The end result is what I am after, not some special experience while pushing that shutter button.

Also, I have tens of thousands of film scans filling my hard drive, and I wished I had more time to scan the rest of them, but a lot are on c41 negs and it's a lot of work. I shot c41 negs because I simply couldn't afford to shoot slides in that volume, and scans of negs were acceptable at the time. Now I pay the price that I can't even see the images unless I spend hours and hours with the film strip holder in the scanner (slides go in a stack feeder and I walk away). Maybe when I retire, I'll finally get through this pile of then historic footage.

Perhaps I'm just too pragmatic about the process of taking pictures. Even in the film days, I figured shoot as much as you can, because you won't get a second chance after the race is over. I really see nothing wrong with taking a lot of images. The hard part is to edit out the good stuff, but I'd rather do that after I shoot and make sure I do indeed get the good stuff. If I was conserving disk space, I certainly wouldn't have taken the white car shot above - it never was interesting in its real racing life, and it's not the prettiest of race cars, but I do get my kicks out of having recorded an image that is technically near perfect, and that after having been away from this type of shooting for a dozen years.

Now, when I shoot other subjects, it is much more of a one shot one image thing, with very little technical challenge. I chimp only to see a histogram at best, since I don't have handheld light meter.

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:36 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3071 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:

Since shooting film, I have bought TWO cameras. My Fuji GA645 and Nikon FM2. Total price, $600. I'm two years into this with the GA645 and have no itch to move on. At all. The cost of these manual focus lenses are just hilarious compared to my other lenses. My Canon 85 L alone cost more than my 4 AIS lenses!! Same thing with my Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 lens.

there are clearly different perspectives on this, and that's because of how we use our cameras. Back in my film days, I used to shoot $600 of film in a single weekend, making film and processing my most expensive photographic expense each year. Now that digital is finally as good and better than film, I actually see a D600 as a money saving camera, and it costs the same as my EOS-1n bodies used to cost!

I stopped taking pictures between 2001 and 2008 because a) high quality digital was expensive, and more importantly b) it wasn't as good as film. Now digital is better and cheaper. Shooting film for me will be a nostalgic experience from here on, similar to firing up your old fossil fuel car for a spin around town will be in 20 years or so.

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:56 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3071 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

I know what you mean about the build quality. I had the F3 and to this day it remains my favorite camera to hold and operate. I made the mistake though of buying the motor drive, it was so cool, but man did THAT burn up a roll.

I bought the motor for it, too... and for a while I was considering to buy this little attachment:

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password