1       2       3              3030      
       3032              5890       5891       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3031 #1 · p.3031 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kry27 wrote:

I hope I will enjoy it. It works on my D3 without anything changed, but I got questioned whether these have to be modified (at the mount) to work properly on newer cameras. If so, I think it's already been done. Here it is:

I don't know whether they have to be modified and that had been done before. I mounted it, and it works "as is/as bought".

Here it is:

The aperture seems to work flawlessly on the D3:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/krypton/quick/3D3_1882.jpg

Nikon D3 - Nikkor 35mm 1:2 MF lens - Nikon SB-26
35mm, 1:22, 1/180, ISO 200, M, Flash

Roland, this needs no modification as it has the AI mount already on it. Nice looking lens.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3031 #2 · p.3031 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One more from the Fair for now. Farm kid version of quality time with their animals. Taken with the 50/1.2.

50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Kry27
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3031 #3 · p.3031 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Roland, this needs no modification as it has the AI mount already on it. Nice looking lens.

Now that means it's been "ai-ed" by someone, as it was originally NOT built that way?

I guessed right then no modification being needed. They had a similar looking 200mm there.... hmm...

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.3031 #4 · p.3031 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
One more from the Fair for now. Farm kid version of quality time with their animals. Taken with the 50/1.2.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3744/9514372457_540d7f41f1_c.jpg

Outstanding!! I love a good cow pic. Here's an oldie from me (sorry it's with all Canon gear. I'm keeping it small for that reason).

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:05 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3031 #5 · p.3031 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kry27 wrote:
Now that means it's been "ai-ed" by someone, as it was originally NOT built that way?

I guessed right then no modification being needed. They had a similar looking 200mm there.... hmm...

Nikon made AI conversion kits for many of their older pre-AI lenses to permit owners of those lenses to upgrade them for use on their newer cameras. Typically, when you see "rabbit ears" with holes in them, it means the Nikon AI conversion kit was installed. Essentially, the aperture ring is replaced. Here is a link to a kit now offered for sale on E-Bay to show you what they look like.

Nikon AI Conversion Kit

Unfortunately, these kits have been out of production for a long while, so it is practically impossible to find a kit for a popular lens. That leaves buyers with two options. I personally buy used Nikkor lenses that have already been converted WITH the Nikon kit. But it is possible to buy a pre-AI lens that has NOT been converted, and then to have the pre-AI aperture ring cut down so it will fit on modern DSLR cameras. Here's a photo of what that might look like...

Clearly you need to know what you're doing if you tackle this yourself. (Jose on this thread has done so with care and skill and has even shared photos of his work.) But there are folks who will make the modification for you.

You may wish to familiarize yourself with the website so many of us consider the bible on Nikon lenses. Here is a link.

photosynthesis.co.nz

There you will find information on the original lens you bought. Here is a photo of an unconverted lens. Note the solid "rabbit ears."

Part of the pleasure of shopping for these lenses is learning about such details, which is much complicated by the fact Nikon made so many versions of these lenses, each with subtle differences. Happy reading and happy shooting Roland...

Note that the person responsible for this website is also a Roland...

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:50 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3031 #6 · p.3031 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Roland, the best way to narrow down when a lens was made is to look at this page on the site Curtis pointed out.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#135

Specifically, yours seem to be have been made around 1968 or 1969. From this site, there were 18 variants of this lens manufactured between 1959-1983. That number is only surpassed by the 105 2.5 lens, which had 20 variants built between 1959-2005.

This website is a gem for those of us who get lost in such details.

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:26 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3031 #7 · p.3031 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

@Curtis, those solid rabbit ears are typical for some of those older Nikkor lenses. If a Nikon 105 P-C lens has the more modern "see-through" rabbit ears, does that mean its either Aied (or someone changed the rabbit ears for whatever reason imaginable?)

Im asking because the 105 f2.5 Ai-S I bought turned out to be a dud. I returned it to the seller for a refund and now have a lead on a 105 f2.5 P-C, but the auction doesnt show pictures of the mount.

The $25 PN-11 I shot on Monday arrived today. Its in near mint shape and works perfectly with my 55 f3.5 micro Nikkor

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:45 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3031 #8 · p.3031 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love the light in this one, and her expression.

leighton w wrote:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3744/9514372457_540d7f41f1_c.jpg

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3031 #9 · p.3031 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Gstaad, 28/2.8 ais

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:04 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3031 #10 · p.3031 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Buddy, this is at the heart of buying older lenses. We use the photosynthesis website to do our research. We typically begin with the serial number because as Samy notes, there are so many different versions of these lenses, especially the 105 f/2.5. The P.C. is the next to last pre-AI version of the lens and unless it has been converted, it will not mount on your DSLR. I look for the rabbit ears as an indicator of the AI conversion kit having been installed. I doubt anyone would install the ears without the kit but it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with what the different mounts look like. This can be helpful...

http://www.momentcorp.com/review/nikon_mf_lens_versions.html

Here is a photo I've posted before that shows the 105mm lenses in my kit...

The P.C. version is second from the right. You will note that it has a second row of small aperture numbers. The AI-s lenses at the left and right edges come with those numbers when new. The two middle lenses, the P on the left and P.C. on the right have been converted with the Nikon kit.

There are no kits available for these lenses, at least not that I've found. This means that if you buy an unconverted kit, the aperture ring with need to be machined. We've seen Jose do some fine work with such conversions so I know they can be done with precision and care. The lenses deserve no less than that if they require such treatment to be used. Unconverted lenses may be used with other systems and with older film cameras, so conversion isn't necessary for these lenses to have a long life.

Good luck finding your lens. The 105 is a great lens to have in one's kit. It was my first MF lens and started this whole adventure for me...

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

saph
• • • •
p.3031 #11 · p.3031 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Trying to get through at least the last 10-15 pages, may take a while Saw the discussion on the Nikon 35 1.4 pre-G version. The one I have is one of the older variants - 35 1.4 N. As Georg said a page or 2 ago, it has a "built-in" yellow filter, leaving a yellowish cast giving it an antique film look. Not everyone's cup of tea, but in some cases it works well. It certainly has the coma drawback Philip pointed out, for overcoming those issues the Sigma art and the 35 1.4G are probably good bets.

I am not using these lenses professionally, otherwise my choices may be different.

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:56 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3031 #12 · p.3031 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Buddy, this is at the heart of buying older lenses. We use the photosynthesis website to do our research. We typically begin with the serial number because as Samy notes, there are so many different versions of these lenses, especially the 105 f/2.5. The P.C. is the next to last pre-AI version of the lens and unless it has been converted, it will not mount on your DSLR. I look for the rabbit ears as an indicator of the AI conversion kit having been installed. I doubt anyone would install the ears without the kit but it is a good
...Show more

Again thank you for the very precise answer

I found the photosynthesis site while searching for a 28mm. Bookmarked it right away because its very complete and looks to be the most reliable source in these matters.

With serialnumber 565488 it is a P.C Auto lens. Thank you for your pictures and that link though. I was able to confirm it was factory Aid (by the looks of it)

Heres some playing around with tubes

D300 with 55 f3.5 Ai @ f11 with PK-13 and PN-11 stacked

D300 with 55 f3.5 Ai @ f8 with PK-13 and PN-11 stacked

D300 with 55 f3.5 @ f3.5 with PK-13 and PN-11 stacked

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:16 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3031 #13 · p.3031 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Don't forget Buddy that we're also sharing tube work on this thread...

Shooting with Tubes

I love close work like this...

The PC version of the 105 f/2.5 comes with the latest optical design and lens coatings... hence the C added to the designation. So from the perspective of performance it will be equivalent of the AI or AI-s version. There also was a K pre-AI version as well. The last copy of the lens I bought is the earlier P which has a different optical design. I like them all. Good luck getting the lens you want. Kit building really is forever. :

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:24 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3031 #14 · p.3031 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
The PC version of the 105 f/2.5 comes with the latest optical design and lens coatings... hence the C added to the designation. So from the perspective of performance it will be equivalent of the AI or AI-s version. There also was a K pre-AI version as well. The last copy of the lens I bought is the earlier P which has a different optical design. I like them all. Good luck getting the lens you want. Kit building really is forever. :

That is good to know. It doesnt have the telescoping hood but the lens Im looking at comes with a separate HS-4 hood. I think that for a manual focus lens a smooth focus ring is important enough to send lenses back until I find one I really like.

Ill have a look at that tubes thread. I always liked the PK-13 ring on various lenses. The PN-11 seems to be a bit more tricky but it offers great opportunities. The 55 is a bit short though. The 50 f2 Ai doesnt have the focus range to be of much use so Ill see what the 80-200 Ai-S can do with a PN-11

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:31 PM
bruni
• • •
p.3031 #15 · p.3031 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Gstaad, 28/2.8 ais

ha ha ...haven't seen those blacks for a while Phillippe

ben

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3031 #16 · p.3031 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
ha ha ...haven't seen those blacks for a while Phillippe

ben

Obviously, you've been sleeping for quite a while -)

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:58 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3031 #17 · p.3031 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few with the 400 5.6 ED AIS and last one with the 85 1.8 HC.

Leighton fishing..

Leaf partly in water

Lily

Rose

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:47 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3031 #18 · p.3031 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
A few with the 400 5.6 ED AIS and last one with the 85 1.8 HC.

Leighton fishing..
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/sa_maryland_fotofun/LakeSide/Fishing_zps83e9569e.jpg

I wish! Great set Samy.

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:07 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3031 #19 · p.3031 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I wish! Great set Samy.

Hemingway, is that you? Rockwell? Maybe it is Leighton after all!

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:13 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3031 #20 · p.3031 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, the fisherman (is "angler" a term used in the US?) looks really relaxed. Just like Leighton I wish I could sit there...
It's a very nice shot, love the punchy colors and contrast.

Buddy, I hope your next 105/2.5 will be in a better working order.

Philippe, love the colorful Gstaad-shot.

Leighton, very nice picture of the farm-kid! The highlights are tamed down a bit too much for my probably strange taste (hope you don't mind this remark).

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password