Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3020      
       3022              3822       3823       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3021 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations, Nano-coating and stuff like this. I've mentioned my new-found passion for Nikon's Tilt-lenses and he laughed: „Yeah, Scheimpflug rules!”. He told me about his job and said that some un-coated lenses had been reported in my neighborhood and he was looking for these and other subjects. An sunbeam coming out of a maple-tree caught his attention and I quickly took a picture of the officer. Shortly afterwards his radio called him away.
I better don't show him this image, I might get another fine ;-)

D700, PC 28/3.5 wide open and at minimum focusing distance

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3021 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hahahaha and you always ask us to forgive your English as it's terrible tsk tsk

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3021 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Love your avatar, Peter -)
Do you really have a child in France ?

Thanks Phillippe - yes, Ingrid's daughter who is "my step daughter" and her fiancee have a restaurant, Le Delice in Les Houches which is near Chamonix Mt Blanc. We'll be there from 6 to 11 September this year and are looking forward to it. They've had the restaurant for a month and are getting very nice reviews so far.

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3021 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton - I knew it would appeal to the stalwarts from the South

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:10 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3021 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
I've updated my profile too and chosen an appropriate avatar

Thanks Peter. I loved your introduction back when we were first getting to know one another and certainly welcome your expanded profile. You are a fine companion with whom to share this wonderful thread. Your keen insights and witticisms are always appreciated. I also appreciate your work with the D200 that gives us an opportunity to see your beautiful corner of the world.

And great avatar... you in fine form.

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3021 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Took out the "old" 50 f2 H lens that I recently ai'd. IMO this lens has amazing quality in it's rendering and very smooth bokeh. Some examples from this afternoon.

Winter sunshine from near our house - 5 shot pano

NIKON D200    50mm    f/5.6    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Pine bark with #1 tube

NIKON D200    50mm    f/2.0    1/640s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aloe wide open

NIKON D200    50mm    f/2.0    1/2500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

100% crop blue flower unknown species

NIKON D200    50mm    f/2.0    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3021 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations,
...Show more

One of the funniest posts ever on this thread... Wonderful Georg and if ANYTHING puts the lie to you repeated comment about not knowing the English language very well, this posts does so. Really fun...

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:21 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3021 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yes, Peter, the 50 f/2 really sparkles. Talk about value for money. I bought a mint copy of the H.C. for $56. It is a beautiful little lens and you demonstrate its capability. Lovely set of images.

Wouldn't it be lovely if you and Philippe could meet during your visit to France? It seems every meeting between participants of this thread has proved to be pleasurable. The way you two banter back and forth I imagine you'd have a great time over something with alcohol in it... Wish I could join you.

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:25 PM
jaredvanb

p.3021 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter, love the first shot of the bay... Nicely done! Brings back memories of when I used to visit my grandparents across the bay in your photo...

I did not get any time to go shooting today, but I did try my hand at my first MF sunset shot... I realise now I porbably should have stopped down to f/11 or so to get the foremost tree nice and sharp...

50mm f/4 1/3200sec ISO 125.

Winter Sunset by jared.vanbergen, on Flickr

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:40 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3021 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations,
...Show more

Oh my Lord Georg! I spit water all over my monitor reading this. Great picture and hilarious story. Your English is just fine my friend, just fine.

jaredvanb wrote:
Peter, love the first shot of the bay... Nicely done! Brings back memories of when I used to visit my grandparents across the bay in your photo...

I did not get any time to go shooting today, but I did try my hand at my first MF sunset shot... I realise now I porbably should have stopped down to f/11 or so to get the foremost tree nice and sharp...

50mm f/4 1/3200sec ISO 125.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3794/9263591448_204616156e_b.jpg
Winter Sunset by jared.vanbergen, on Flickr

I really like this shot, very moody.

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3021 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the bio Jared. That was exactly what I was hoping for... both a bit about yourself and about your passions wherever they may life. For years i drove a white 510 Datsun station wagon that was absolutely a champ. I owned it during the years when I was putting an addition on my home in Vallejo, CA where I both worked and lived before moving to Marin County. I carried a hundred sheets of sheetrock on the top of that car and carried sand and gravel in the back... I think I worked it to death. I replaced it with a white Toyota Corolla station wagon that I drove for years as well.

There are a few of us who've been into cars, none more so than Ron who rebuilt a number of old cars. He did serious restorations. During my youth I dropped new engines in a couple of cars, a 1955 Chevy BelAire coupe and a 1956 Corvette roadster. I appreciate anyone who finds pleasure in tinkering with cars. At this point in my life, I want nothing more than a car that starts when I turn the key. That said, I drive an Acura coupe with a five speed transmission. I still enjoy driving.

Lovely photo too... a rather stunning sky. Glad you found us.

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:53 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3021 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Okay Kevin... time for your bio. You've become a stalwart of this thread and we definitely need to get to know you a bit better. Adding a bio to your profile allows us to keep that information available for new folks who show up on the scene. Since we're neighbors... lets be friends...

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:01 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3021 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
...Show more

Very funny indeed Georg!

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:11 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3021 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks for the bio Jared. That was exactly what I was hoping for... both a bit about yourself and about your passions wherever they may life. For years i drove a white 510 Datsun station wagon that was absolutely a champ. I owned it during the years when I was putting an addition on my home in Vallejo, CA where I both worked and lived before moving to Marin County. I carried a hundred sheets of sheetrock on the top of that car and carried sand and gravel in the back... I think I worked it to death. I replaced
...Show more

+1 Yea Datsun! I used to have a Datsun B210.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:12 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3021 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chin and Georg are INVITED to create more descriptive bios in their profile page. Come join us guys. We know a little bit about each of you but it would be great to have something on the record that folks who are new to this site can refer to as they get to know us. You might even surprise the old timers as well with little known facts about yourself. You can check out my profile, or John's or Peter's.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:22 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3021 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:
Thanks much for the kind comments on the Fourth of July shots.

Scott, your treatment of the industrial light fixture is very nice.

Jeff, your WA image is a real winner. Nicely done.

Thank you for the comment.
Scott

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:25 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3021 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A quick DIY post - in case you want to protect your old Nikkors and not pay incredible prices for custom jobs at Lenscoat (that's what they offered me after they sent me a non-fitting set for my "old" lens), you can easily make these covers yourself.

I bought two running feet of the fabric and now have enough material to cover all the lenses I will ever own, and you can keep cutting these things exactly to your liking and buy the neoprene fabric you like. I chose a pattern that is light for hot days, but reverses to classic black on the other.

All it takes is what's in this photo, plus a razor blade for the holes you may need and some double sided tape for pieces that need some help to stay in place

Pix taken with the 105mm f/2.5 and 55mm f/1.2 (the tools)

Fabric from this place, the glue (which is really liquid neoprene and bonds permanently) came from REI, where they sell it to fix wetsuits. Total cost of my materials was about $40. The brand name guys charge $120 for one large lens cover.

Another one I did to practice - for the 70-300 ED VR

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:28 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3021 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Scott - That 105/2.8 would make a great alternative to the 2.5.

My thinking exactly. I like that I can get up close without tubes.

BTW, wasn't it enough that we posted our mug shot standing side by side at the market. Now Curtis wants a full bio!

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:28 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3021 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
...Show more

Love it! Your English is just fine Georg.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:30 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3021 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Okay Kevin... time for your bio. You've become a stalwart of this thread and we definitely need to get to know you a bit better. Adding a bio to your profile allows us to keep that information available for new folks who show up on the scene. Since we're neighbors... lets be friends...

Will get right on it. Hope to have it up later today.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password