Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3013      
       3015              4794       4795       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3014 #1 · p.3014 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

amlsml wrote:
...Curtis- thanks for the fellow flower shot, your lighting is also spot on!!! Much to learn for me...

In bright light I'm using spot metering which with MF lenses requires using the center focusing point. If light is variable on the subject, I'll generally use exposure lock on the brightest area. There is quite a bit of talk about dynamic range in both the D800 and D600 but the D700 is no slouch. It I get even moderately close with metering I typically can create an acceptable image in post. On the occasion of this shoot at Marin Art and Garden Center it was extremely bright, middle of the day bright. Even at f/5.6 on that shot I was at 1/3200th of a second. Here's a yellow flower that took 1/5000th of a second at f/5.6 with the same setup.

Spot metering can be a lifesaver in very bright conditions.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:32 PM
designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3014 #2 · p.3014 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hello all!

I am thinking of getting a 20mm, which, to me, is the widest I want to go without worrying about angles, etc. I had a brief fling with the Rokinon 14mm - enough to realize it was too wide for my tastes/skill set.

Nikon MF lenses at 20mm include 2.8, 3.5, and 4. I think I have read most of the reviews readily available via Google, and have come away with no clear favorite, other than that the 2.8 is much more expensive than the others.

Moving up the focal length ladder, I have lenses in 28, 35, and 50, MF and AF, that are fast, so I am really looking for sharpness and landscape out of this one.

I know you have opinions!

Thanks...

David

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:46 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3014 #3 · p.3014 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

David, the only one of these that I have seen where I liked the SOOC rendering was the 20/3.5 @ f/5.6. It was an early lens on a D700. I don't remember who posted them or if I saw them here, but I filed that one away in my brain as one to look for. I know, I don't have any hard data, but I specifically remember that I wanted to try the 3.5 if the opportunity presented itself.

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:01 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3014 #4 · p.3014 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I've really been enjoying your work Mark. Who would have thought the 55 micro lens would make a fine portrait lens? And your work with tubes is first rate. Keep em coming...

Thank you Curtis. Between yourself, Kevin and Ronny I am certainly not short of inspiration to keep working with the tubes.
The 55 is an amazing lens and if you're lucky, as I was in the first photo, the bokeh characteristics can be quite successful. It can get a bit jittery if the background is too cluttered, it starts to get this way in the second photo but certainly not too extreme, but as Leighton pointed out to me it's a solid performing landscape lens and obviously it's micro capabilities round out it's usability greatly. I confess it's often replacing the 50mm 1.2 as my walkabout ~50mm (unless I have something specific in mind) at a much lower price.

Briefly on the subject of tubes, does anyone use the M2 tube? It's meant to be designed for the 55mm 3.5 but can it be used with the 2.8?
Thanks.

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:02 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3014 #5 · p.3014 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The older tubes have always confused me, in particular, which tubes will mount on a modern DSLR camera. I bought a set of Vivitar tubes intended for Nikon but it wouldn't mount. Then I noticed the set of Vivitar tubes I already owned that mounted without a problem was designated for AI lenses. In the same way a pre-AI lens won't mount without risk of damage, I wonder whether older extension tubes represent the same challenge. I imagine Georg or one of our other more knowledgeable friends will have an answer to your question.

With regard to lenses, I took find myself drawn to 55mm rather than 50 but the lens I turn to is the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd with its scalloped focusing ring. I love shooting with that lens.

Happy shooting Mark.

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:12 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3014 #6 · p.3014 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, it may have been Peter from Madison whose photos you're referring to. He has posted quite a few excellent images with the D600 and 20 f/3.5 AI-s. In terms of value for money that is a great choice. I'm very content with my 20 f/2.8 AI-s which Bjorn gives highest marks to at this focal length. I even got it at a great price, but only as part of a three lens package. I know the price I paid for the 20, a 28 f/2.8 AI-s and a 50 f/1.2 AI-s was great but I'd be guessing if I ascribed a value to any of those three lenses. Sometimes we get lucky. The 20 had the last serial number then listed on photosynthesis so it was a recent purchase by the seller. That made me smile as well.

I appreciate your sentiment about shooting with lenses that wear their history proudly. I was a history major at university and often think in those terms as I encounter the world. But the aesthetic experience of these lenses engages me as well. I started this thread as much because of my appreciation for the craftsmanship of these lenses as their performance. That both are part of the same package is worth celebrating.

Needless to say we have a variety of responses to these lenses. There is no one size fits all. I may love looking at mint condition beautiful lenses, but I love shooting with them too. I think we have a good thing going here.

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:24 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3014 #7 · p.3014 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Kevin, it may have been Peter from Madison whose photos you're referring to. He has posted quite a few excellent images with the D600 and 20 f/3.5 AI-s. In terms of value for money that is a great choice. I'm very content with my 20 f/2.8 AI-s which Bjorn gives highest marks to at this focal length. I even got it at a great price, but only as part of a three lens package. I know the price I paid for the 20, a 28 f/2.8 AI-s and a 50 f/1.2 AI-s was great but I'd be guessing if I
...Show more

Yes! It was Peter... I thought he shot a D700... No matter.

On the subject of early tubes, I want to say the M2 will mount, but not meter properly. I can confirm that tomorrow. The smallest K-tube I believe will also mount. The rest mount like Pre-AI, potential to break stuff. What I have noticed is the AI ring on my D7000 has a little more play in it than my PK13's ring does. I can mount my Pre-AI 35/2.8 directly to my D7000 and the aperture ring slips under it Ok. If I mount to the PK13, it's tight and I have to make sure my aperture changes register (the tab will stay stationary when I increase aperture).

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Kry27
• •
p.3014 #8 · p.3014 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Incredible atmosphere, Mark.

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:44 PM
Kry27
• •
p.3014 #9 · p.3014 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I do not know whether you mind if I post pictures myself, as I've not been a very communicative member of this thread so far, considering the daily exchange between all the skilled photographers. Sometimes I don't know...

I enjoy posting, I enjoy looking at your pictures... I just cannot reply to everyone, you guys are so fast.

But you can be sure I've recommended this thread to so many people just to look at - the work shown in here is so stunning. Some of you have been taking pictures for ages, since longer ago than when I used to fart into pampers... And it shows you know your business! (I am 35 btw.)

May I dare to show you a few more from my weekend hike in the Swiss alps?

MF glass to the mountain goes ...

After the hike over the pass and a night spent in the alpine hut (SAC) "Piz Terri", we continued a bit more easily.

Plaun la Greina:

Nikon D3 - Nikon 50mm 1:1.2 MF lens
50mm, 1:8, 1/1000, ISO 200, A, Matrix - 1/2

50mm, 1:11, 1/350, ISO 200, A, Matrix - 1/2

50mm, 1:8, 1/500, ISO 200, A, Matrix - 1/2

50mm, 1:16, 1/250, ISO 200, A, Matrix - 1/2

And finally, descending to Blenio, into the wonderful Ticino, the Italian speaking part of Switzerland:

50mm, 1:16, 1/125, ISO 200, A, Matrix +/- 0

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:58 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3014 #10 · p.3014 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kry27 wrote:

I do not know whether you mind if I post pictures myself, as I've not been a very communicative member of this thread so far, considering the daily exchange between all the skilled photographers. Sometimes I don't know...

I enjoy posting, I enjoy looking at your pictures... I just cannot reply to everyone, you guys are so fast.

But you can be sure I've recommended this thread to so many people just to look at - the work shown in here is so stunning. Some of you have been taking pictures for ages, since longer ago than when I used to fart
...Show more

Very nice series Roland. I like this last image the best. That road in the valley looks like a fun bike ride, downhill!

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • • •
p.3014 #11 · p.3014 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Hello all!

I am thinking of getting a 20mm, which, to me, is the widest I want to go without worrying about angles, etc. I had a brief fling with the Rokinon 14mm - enough to realize it was too wide for my tastes/skill set.

Nikon MF lenses at 20mm include 2.8, 3.5, and 4. I think I have read most of the reviews readily available via Google, and have come away with no clear favorite, other than that the 2.8 is much more expensive than the others.

Moving up the focal length ladder, I have lenses in 28, 35, and 50, MF
...Show more

I own the Rokinon 14mm, and just like you, I find it very special purpose. I love it, but I use the 20mm much more (the 14mm is sharper, much sharper, and probably sharper than any 20mm Nikon ever made).

I only used the f/3.5 and like it a lot. Pretty much covers that focal range for me and I am not planning on ever getting one of the other 20mm lenses. It is so small and light compared to e.g. my 14mm f/2.8 that when I go into the backcountry, the 20mm will always make the cut, while sharper/fancier glass will stay behind due to weight. Another good thing is that I paid $99 plus shipping for it. Seller must have been hating that auction outcome, because it's worth about twice that final auction price.

I've posted dozens of images taken with it this spring - somewhere 200-300 pages ago

examples

a little flare in this one

the lens is also known as the "poor man's fisheye" - I'll never buy the 16mm or any of the circular fisheyes, so I need to cheat with the 20mm (this is a 2x3 stitch of 6 frames)

and one for sharpness - this is handheld, but resting arms on a concrete wall - iso 360 f/8 1/30s

full size here

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:21 PM
designdog
• •
p.3014 #12 · p.3014 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow - that first one is just what I am looking for! I would have kept the Rokinon 14, but I realized it would be one of those 3-4 times a year deals. So I bundled up all three of my Rokinons - 14, 35, and 85 and sold them for a Sigma 35 1.4. This is like the adage about a 12 cylinder engine: you have to own one. It will be a shootout between that and my Nikon 28 1.8G.

When I recently evaluated my lens collection, in view of the above, the one that stuck out most for inactivity is my most expensive: the 24-70 2.8G. I just never use it. Prefer the 35/85 combination, or 28/50/105 in MF. I am thinking strongly of parlaying that lens into a Nikon 35 1.4/85 1.4 AI-s combo, giving me all of the classic Nikon AI-s lenses from 28-180mm. (If I want a zoom lens I prefer the 25-50 or the 50-135 AI-s lenses.)

But thank you for that input. I expect to move on the 20mm in a few days.

Jul 09, 2013 at 05:13 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3014 #13 · p.3014 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Wow - that first one is just what I am looking for! I would have kept the Rokinon 14, but I realized it would be one of those 3-4 times a year deals. So I bundled up all three of my Rokinons - 14, 35, and 85 and sold them for a Sigma 35 1.4..

Interesting how shooting habits are different. A 35mm lens is something I have absolutely no use for - seems to be a focal length I avoid instinctively. Looking at the exif of my 24-85mm from recent months, I think I use it around 24 and at 50 and 85, but rarely anything else.

I have the 14mm and the 85mm Rokinon, yet never even lost a moment of thought on getting the 35mm, but I would like to try the 24mm f/1.4 - it's just too darn expensive for the few times I want to shoot stars. The 20mm would get much more use, as I like wider over faster at that focal range.

Jul 09, 2013 at 05:37 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3014 #14 · p.3014 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DDog I have the Nikkor 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4 and they make a killer combination albeit quite expensive. I saw KEH has the 35mm 1.4 AIS in ex condition selling at around $600 and the they have a 85 1.4 AIS like new for $919.00 and an ex for $700. All I can say is that I am glad I got mine when I did.
My main kit consists of the 16mm 3.5, 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 135mm 2.8 and 300mm 4.5. All of these perform beautifully on the D600

Jul 09, 2013 at 05:48 PM
designdog
• •
p.3014 #15 · p.3014 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Saw those as well. Pending my decision to sell the 24-70, my 35/85 setup is still pretty good, although not MF: Sigma 35 1.4/Nikon 85 1.8G.

While many reviewers will claim that these are the two best lenses available for these focal lengths, I still would like to have their counterparts in Nikon AI-s...

Jul 09, 2013 at 05:55 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3014 #16 · p.3014 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
DDog I have the Nikkor 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4 and they make a killer combination albeit quite expensive. I saw KEH has the 35mm 1.4 AIS in ex condition selling at around $600 and the they have a 85 1.4 AIS like new for $919.00 and an ex for $700. All I can say is that I am glad I got mine when I did.
My main kit consists of the 16mm 3.5, 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 135mm 2.8 and 300mm 4.5. All of these perform beautifully on the D600

Ray, you NEED the 180mm 2.8 ED!

EDIT: I see in your profile you have the AI version.

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:06 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3014 #17 · p.3014 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Ray, you NEED the 180mm 2.8 ED!

EDIT: I see in your profile you have the AI version.

I have considered selling the 180 2.8 AI and the 135 2.8 and maybe a couple of others and getting an ex version of the 135mm 2.0. I just don't seem to use the 180-200 lengths. If I do want that length I can add a TC-14A to the 135 2.0 and get 190 2.8

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:10 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3014 #18 · p.3014 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is not a repair thread, but there is surely interest in Manual Focus lens repair. I had sent my 15mm 3.5 ais back to Nikon in California, as it is the only lens I own that failed to work well with the D800. I also own a 15mm 5.6 that is excellent with the D800. After Nikon cleaned the 15mm 3.5, it worked quite well, but still showed haze in one element.

I sent the pictures below to Nikon, one is the 15mm 3.5 with the remaining haze, and the other my perfectly clean 15mm 5.6. Upon Nikon seeing these pictures, I was provided a no charge return shipping label and a no cost repair estimate.

Last Friday I had a call from a Nikon Service supervisor with a repair technician on the side, the supervisor seemed a little upset because the lens was passing all their testing, but they could not fully repair it for lack of lens parts and he was not sure which element the haze was on. The technician identified the lens group with the haze, I basically asked them to do the best they could. Today checking on the lens repair status it shows "On Hold for Parts".

We will see what develops, hopefully they found lens elements somewhere but I will not know until I get it. I felt this was the last chance in time to get this lens to perfection, before all parts become unavailable, after that in a dry climate it should last 100 years more. (No kidding, I use 54 year old Nikon F lenses that are like new)

nikkor 15mm 3.5 needs further cleaning by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikkor 15mm 5.6 perfectly clean by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:59 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3014 #19 · p.3014 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very interesting discussion about focal-lengths here lately!
My 2 european cents: A 28mm is the only classical wide-angle I can imagine, while the 35 already belongs to the "normal" focal-lengths, in fact I think it's the most normal focal length available for FX ;-)
To "grab" a given scene quickly nothing beats a 35mm-lens in my opinion, eyes/brain and camera/lens tend to sync better with this focal-length compared to a 50mm lens. The use of a 28mm or 24mm might work well for crowded or confusing scenes - the wider lens can capture stuff that happens outside of the conscious perception, but still plays a role in the decision to trip the shutter (sorry for my confusing English).
The 18-24mm-lenses are already superwides in my opinion, it's hard to hide the superwide-look with the 20/18mm's, while the 24mm can show two faces. Carefully used it can render scenes in a very natural looking fashion; it can also be used for some steep-perspective-shots with much more drama in the composition ;-)
I see a lot of similarities between the 50/55 and 85mm-lenses. The 85 is just a rather long normal lens in my opinion. Their field of view is much more concentrated than the humans cursory view. Result is in many cases an image that will look more "composed" than the more real-life 35mm-shot.

Others might have a completely different look on focal-lenghts and their uses, the words above are just some highly subjective thoughts.

Jul 09, 2013 at 07:37 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3014 #20 · p.3014 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Inspired by Scott's Tres-Hombres"-comparison of the 105/2.5 with the 105mm-Micro-Nikkor's I've dusted off my old 105/4 Micro. A classic lens, classic tunes (ZZ-Top are permanent passengers in my old car :-) called for a classic camera as well. Still lacking a real wet darkroom I let the FM2 in the cabinet and picked up my mad-acting D2h that worked without errors today.
Still love the handling of the D2h, but the tiny and pixelated display is showing the age of this camera more than it's other technical specs. The finder is in my opinion the best of the DX-Nikon's I've used so far, better than the one in the D7000.
Focusing was still not easy, a breeze moving the tiny test-subjects was not a help too.
Anyway, here are two snaps from this midmorning. Very gentle processing of the small files, I like the D2h's colors.

D2h, Ai-Micro-Nikkor 4/105 wide open, the rendering of the background is a bit harsh for my taste

this bud belongs to a poppy (I think), D2h +105/4 wide open too
I like the background here ;-)

Jul 09, 2013 at 08:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password