Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3012      
       3014              4239       4240       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3013 #1 · p.3013 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I came to the same conclusion some time ago inspired by Dean who was adding mint copies of lenses to his modest kit. I replaced a 28 f/2 and 180 f/2.8 when I found like new copies of each and when shopping generally looked for the cleanest copy I could find. Of course, the earlier the version, the older the lens, the challenge in finding an EX+ lens with the AI conversion kit is significant. That led to buying two mint copy pre-AI lenses after already owning converted copies of the same lenses, then swapping out the aperture ring. That
...Show more
I kind of have the opposite mindset. I think the pristine ones are fine and beautiful to look at, but its the beaters that tug at me. I would rather have one that looks well used, as long as the glass is clean and the aperture works as it should and it can focus properly, than a brand new one. Why? When I go shooting and lack inspiration, I will think about the lens I am shooting through and what it might have seen in its life. Usually get inspired there. A new lens (of this variety, MF) just doesn't feel right to me.

Jul 08, 2013 at 04:44 PM
jaredvanb

p.3013 #2 · p.3013 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I kind of have the opposite mindset. I think the pristine ones are fine and beautiful to look at, but its the beaters that tug at me. I would rather have one that looks well used, as long as the glass is clean and the aperture works as it should and it can focus properly, than a brand new one. Why? When I go shooting and lack inspiration, I will think about the lens I am shooting through and what it might have seen in its life. Usually get inspired there. A new lens (of this variety, MF) just doesn't
...Show more

This is pretty damn deep in itself... Makes one think a little bit...

Jul 08, 2013 at 06:41 PM
MarkdV
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3013 #3 · p.3013 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One quick one of some more Edelwiess. I have no idea what the insect is, but loving the 135mm + tubes combo. foreground sharpness and smooth silk for a background.

Jul 08, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3013 #4 · p.3013 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mark I can't believe you get edelweiss in your balcony : in my mind these flowers usually grow at an altitude of mini 2000 m.

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:15 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3013 #5 · p.3013 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Mark I can't believe you get edelweiss in your balcony : in my mind these flowers usually grow at an altitude of mini 2000 m.

1800m is the quoted altitude for them, but I'm at 500m and it grows like crazy. It's the first thing I grew here and it keeps flowering every year. I've lived with this plant longer than with my wife.

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:00 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3013 #6 · p.3013 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Is it GMO edelweiss ?

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:07 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3013 #7 · p.3013 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nah…at least I've never seen it wandering around like a triffid. It's just like me, stubbornly happy far from home.

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:11 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3013 #8 · p.3013 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

hello everyone, I am back! Well, I am sort of back! I have just re-purchased the awe Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AIS, to pair to my Nikon D800, I am sched to get today, and I can't wait! I also finally got both my Metz 60CT-1's! I sure hope I can make decent images! I would past some Rollei 6008 Pro. film shots, but, rules are rules! xD I can't wait, and hopefully, i dont spam!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1223786/999999#lastmessage

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:15 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3013 #9 · p.3013 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
hello everyone, I am back! Well, I am sort of back! I have just re-purchased the awe Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AIS, to pair to my Nikon D800, I am sched to get today, and I can't wait! I also finally got both my Metz 60CT-1's! I sure hope I can make decent images! I would past some Rollei 6008 Pro. film shots, but, rules are rules! xD I can't wait, and hopefully, i dont spam!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1223786/999999#lastmessage

Welcome back! The sophisticated Rollei 6008 is my dream machine;-)

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:18 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3013 #10 · p.3013 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Andy, that 55/2.8 Micro-shot looks great!

Thanks for the comments on the fisheye-shot!
Here's another one from yesterday, a flower or something green close to a flower ;-)

45 PC-E wide open

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3013 #11 · p.3013 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Welcome back! The sophisticated Rollei 6008 is my dream machine;-)

its an awesome work of art, now, i just need to make it shine!

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:41 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.3013 #12 · p.3013 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sorry for the flowers, but trying to see which of these len's are my favorite. Is there a way to adjust focus with a MF lens to a specific camera? Can you fine tune like a newer lens? Is there a resource on why certain MF len's were made? what purpose? thanks again for a great thread

50 f 1.2 lens at f4

NIKON D600    50mm    f/4.0    1/640s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:50 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3013 #13 · p.3013 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm afraid Andy its all on you. Thats not to say there can't be problems with the lens itself though I've had no apparent problem with any of the lenses I've bought over the last three years. You're shooting with the D600 that has an excellent viewfinder. The best thing to do is practice, practice, practice. With time it becomes much easier, at least it will if you have a steady hand and decent eyesight.

And please don't apologize for posting flowers because if that were objectionable on this thread, I'd be in big trouble because i love to shoot flowers. In fact, I'll add another just so yours won't feel lonely on this page...

Shot with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd with a 20mm Vivitar extension tube at f/5.6.

Edited on Jul 09, 2013 at 06:37 AM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:35 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3013 #14 · p.3013 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice shot Andy. Are all the lenses in your profile MF lenses? Impressive collection.

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3013 #15 · p.3013 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

If you're looking for a backstory, Nikon's The Thousand and One Nights (ala Arabian Nights I presume) page has quite a few tales to tell

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:29 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3013 #16 · p.3013 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's a couple from the 55mm micro as a portrait lens from a lazy Sunday at the playground

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:01 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3013 #17 · p.3013 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

I kind of have the opposite mindset. I think the pristine ones are fine and beautiful to look at, but its the beaters that tug at me. I would rather have one that looks well used, as long as the glass is clean and the aperture works as it should and it can focus properly, than a brand new one. Why? When I go shooting and lack inspiration, I will think about the lens I am shooting through and what it might have seen in its life. Usually get inspired there. A new lens (of this variety, MF) just
...Show more

I'm in this camp too. As long as the glass is clean, and the mechanics works as new, the appearance matters not. I'm impressed at how some pro photographers bang their gear around, not caring at all how it looks. Thom Hogan took a shot of a motor cross bike blasting by him at very close range. It was kicking up dirt and rocks like crazy, delivering 5 direct hits to the glass of his Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 lens. What did he do? He kept on shooting and then wiped down his lens once done. Amazing. I lost a lot of my gear appearance obsession once I figured out it had nothing to do with photography.

Also, as you said, the history of a lens is told by its bumps and bruises.

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:18 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.3013 #18 · p.3013 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, yes all manual focus lens's. Bought a bag of gear from a neighbor who hadn't used it for years. He still had the 28 mounted to his FM2! I love the workmanship and the feel and was really shocked by the performance. When I stumbled on this thread, it kind of fueled the fire, so I bought a few more from guys right here!

Chin- Thanks for the link, exactly what I was looking for. beside using these lens's, it is kind of cool to know why they were made. Why 43-68 zoom for example?

Curtis- thanks for the fellow flower shot, your lighting is also spot on!!! Much to learn for me.

George- love the 16 mm shots, great view of a beautiful place

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3013 #19 · p.3013 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
I'm in this camp too. As long as the glass is clean, and the mechanics works as new, the appearance matters not. I'm impressed at how some pro photographers bang their gear around, not caring at all how it looks. Thom Hogan took a shot of a motor cross bike blasting by him at very close range. It was kicking up dirt and rocks like crazy, delivering 5 direct hits to the glass of his Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 lens. What did he do? He kept on shooting and then wiped down his lens once done. Amazing. I lost a lot
...Show more

Ahh rattymouse, that's exactly what I remind myself with too when using the 14-24mm - Thom Hogan and that motorcross shot! Haha as they say, great minds, great minds

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:22 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3013 #20 · p.3013 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I've really been enjoying your work Mark. Who would have thought the 55 micro lens would make a fine portrait lens? And your work with tubes is first rate. Keep em coming...

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password