Upload & Sell: Off
p.3006 #1 · p.3006 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Ray, loved the B&W portrait and the "fountain" perspective;

Ronny, stunning flowers as always;

RM, great B&W street shooting and lovely family;

Samy, loved your last 35/1.4 and 85/1.8 HC work;

Alan, what a awesome family portrait;

Rafael, great "selfie" and lovely family.

From the epiphyte pollinators session, this is a stingless bee, looking for flowers but there are only flower buds and green fruits

Stingless bee on Aechmea bromeliifolia flower buds by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 (in DX crop mode) + Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 ai-s hand held, ISO 1250, f/8 at 1/200s; ~ 60% crop of the already cropped DX mode.
Below the bee there is a "dead flower" becoming a green fruit. This bee is just 5-7mm in lenght.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:15 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3006 #2 · p.3006 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael, so good to put a face to a forum friend, thanks! And what a beautiful family.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.3006 #3 · p.3006 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks

Grest shot Samy, John ,Ratty,Pillippe ,Rafael, Jose ,chin and Ray

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:23 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3006 #4 · p.3006 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2828/9469989035_a3ab343601_b.jpg

"Hello Mr. Bee, may I take your picture?" "Sure!" says Mr. Bee, then strikes a pose. "Click!" Awesome shot!

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:32 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3006 #5 · p.3006 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is a Fleur-de-lis knocker I found on eBay for $12, I like it, sadly, my handheld photo blur does no justice!

_AJR2296 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:37 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.3006 #6 · p.3006 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rodriguez, you say things like "my handheld photo blur does not do it justice". I am afraid it has little to nothing to do with shooting hand-held.

A tripod is not required for a shot like this. Sure you could use one. Or you could use a faster shutterspeed than 1/25th of a second.

According to the details on flickr, you shot it at 1/25th, ISO 200, f1.4 on your 85mm. Bumping up the ISO to 800 would have allowed you to shoot at 1/100th of a second while providing the exact same exposure and likely eliminating all motion blur (providing you are practicing proper camera holding techniques).

In addition to the motion blur, this shot looks to be out of focus. Trial and error I suppose with that f-stop at that distance.

I know you have said in the past that you are not interested in learning from books and such, but you could still try and find your own ways of learning from your mistakes (unless you truely don't see them as mistakes...in which case, carry on I suppose).

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3006 #7 · p.3006 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Like it, Americo : the Fleur de Lys was the symbol of the French monarchy for around 1000 years. The three petals of the flowers represent faith, wisdom and chivalry.

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:51 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.3006 #8 · p.3006 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
"Hello Mr. Bee, may I take your picture?" "Sure!" says Mr. Bee, then strikes a pose. "Click!" Awesome shot!

+1, excellent.

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:54 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3006 #9 · p.3006 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Rodriguez, you say things like "my handheld photo blur does not do it justice". I am afraid it has little to nothing to do with shooting hand-held.

A tripod is not required for a shot like this. Sure you could use one. Or you could use a faster shutterspeed than 1/25th of a second.

According to the details on flickr, you shot it at 1/25th, ISO 200, f1.4 on your 85mm. Bumping up the ISO to 800 would have allowed you to shoot at 1/100th of a second while providing the exact same exposure and likely eliminating all motion blur (providing you
...Show more

I was just going to suggest the same. With that 85mm, I wouldn't shoot anything under 1/100th to keep motion blur in check. Your D800 has amazing range in its ISO, so let that ISO free. I have seen acceptable noise from the D800 up to ISO6400. Play with it, you can get some stellar results with that gear.

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:57 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.3006 #10 · p.3006 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Like it, Americo : the Fleur de Lys was the symbol of the French monarchy for around 1000 years. The three petals of the flowers represent faith, wisdom and chivalry.

Also, the Quebec Nordiques.

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3006 #11 · p.3006 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Also, the Quebec Nordiques.

VIVE LE QUEBEC LIBRE !

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:00 PM
huddy
• • •
p.3006 #12 · p.3006 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Wow Alan! Eli is absolutely beautiful as is your wife. You guys really seem to have this whole parenthood thing down pat. I'm very impressed.

I guess when baby needs a new pair of shoes dad needs to find summer employment... But with a new baby, Malachi with a great name, dad needs to pull out the D700 and put it to work. Looking forward to more photos from your lovely family Alan.

Curtis, the D700 and 50/1.2 have been hard at work for awhile as my Pentax 67 was laid up for awhile after the mirror flew off. It's back, but I expect the Nikon to do most of the heavy lifting with the 50 and 105 and occasionally an AF 28 may find it's way onto the camera. I'll be trying to drop by from time to time. I wouldn't go so far to say that we've figured out parenting yet though... we still have much to learn!

rattymouse wrote:
Congrats on the new baby Huddy!! No better subject for taking pictures than a new addition to the family. May your baby enjoy a long prosperous and happy life!!

Thank you very much Tom. I have the same hopes for him and no desire to point the camera elsewhere.

rattymouse wrote:
Sayings like that rub off on you after many years here.

I can't imagine having a child 2 years out of college. My wife and I waited 5 years after getting married. I was 33 years old when our first child hit! She would have been happy earlier, but not me. I needed to grow a bit more.

Other than my parents, most of our family tends to start having children by 21-22 so I guess it is quite the norm for us! We are hoping to have as many more as God will bless us with, as we do love children!

DTOB wrote:
Alan, huge congrats. Beautiful family you've got going.

Dylan, many thanks!

jhinkey wrote:
Alan - I must say that is one of the best candid shots I've seen in quite a while. She's laughing and not looking a the camera while he's got the greatest smile and is looking at the camera.

Obviously you know when to trip the shutter . . .

John thank you very much! I got a lot better in my discipline of waiting for the so called 'decisive moment' by shooting a Leica, and I like to think that it carried over a bit now that I'm primarily shooting the D700 again. Too bad a D700 doesn't have the M6TTL's lack of vibration. Being able to shoot at 1/8 and 1/15 without VR and still get sharp shots spoiled me.

Zichar wrote:
Grats Alan!

>>

I don't have a Christian name. I'm Chin, and I sometimes get mixed up with Chuong. Doesn't bother me one bit

Thank you Chin!

leighton w wrote:
Congratulations Alan! Nice of you to drop by. I hope all are doing well.

We are all well here. Good to see all the familiar faces!

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Alan lovely family photo

Philippe, thank you very much!

asiostygius wrote:
Alan, what a awesome family portrait;

Thank you Jose!

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:10 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3006 #13 · p.3006 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:

Thank you! There will be more to come as soon a I can gather all the parts!

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:17 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3006 #14 · p.3006 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:

According to the details on flickr, you shot it at 1/25th, ISO 200, f1.4 on your 85mm. Bumping up the ISO to 800 would have allowed you to shoot at 1/100th of a second while providing the exact same exposure and likely eliminating all motion blur (providing you
...Show more

I think what I should have stated is that my arms gave up, and my tipped toed 5 foot 6 stature couldn't frame the Fleur-de-lis as well as it deserves! The odd part, is that I hung it up! lol

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:19 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.3006 #15 · p.3006 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
I think what I should have stated is that my arms gave up, and my tipped toed 5 foot 6 stature couldn't frame the Fleur-de-lis as well as it deserves! The odd part, is that I hung it up! lol

I guess as long as you are having a good time.

Did the shutter speed thing make sense at least?

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:21 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3006 #16 · p.3006 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
I guess as long as you are having a good time.

Did the shutter speed thing make sense at least?

yes, plenty, i thank you kindly! i tend to do things on a whim, and, well, i am forgetful of these type of things!

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:45 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3006 #17 · p.3006 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Look what my friendly neighborhood FedEx Man brought me!

a.Rollei.Brujo-9 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:46 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3006 #18 · p.3006 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Today I finally found some time to play around with the 28mm Ai lens.
I use the lens with a Nikon D300 so it loses somewhat of itīs wide character and works more like the 45mm pancake lens.

Since I like that field of view I had fun making a few quick snaps.

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:49 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3006 #19 · p.3006 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Both excellent shots Buddy but I'm especially fond of the first one. We can easily construct a story out of that one. I think the D300 can handle the lens but as John reported some time back, it doesn't have the greatest viewfinder for working with MF lenses. It will love you film cameras however... Happy shooting and congratulations.

Aug 09, 2013 at 09:04 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3006 #20 · p.3006 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Both excellent shots Buddy but I'm especially fond of the first one. We can easily construct a story out of that one. I think the D300 can handle the lens but as John reported some time back, it doesn't have the greatest viewfinder for working with MF lenses. It will love you film cameras however... Happy shooting and congratulations.

Thnx. Yes, I also like the first one better. There actually is quite a story behind that one but if youīre willing to give it a try you can tell me the story you see in that picture Iīm a curious person by nature.

I didnīt really experience a problem focussing on the D300. Even when focussing close with the aperture wide open focus was there where I wanted it. Agreed the FM2 split focus thingy is a blessing

Aug 09, 2013 at 09:21 PM
1       2       3              3005      
       3007              5885       5886       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3005      
       3007              5885       5886       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password