Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3005      
       3007              4068       4069       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3006 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matt OHarver wrote:
If that is the one from KEH avoid it! I purchased it some time back and they described it way differently. After receiving it I felt I was nearly going to rip the mount off my camera. They happily took it back, and sold me a buttery smooth one for a whole lot more money.

The one they have has a serious tight spot as if something is bent/misaligned, and would require major overhaul with parts to fix to a usable condition.

The glass and body are in great shape though on it.

Matt

Thank you for your reply. No, I am not talking about one in KEH. I live in China and found this lens in a shop here. The tightness that I felt focusing the lens was nowhere near as bad as what you describe. It is quite tight, but still not difficult to focus. The tightness is also constant, not with a tight spot as your KEH sample had.

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:51 PM
philipj
• • •
p.3006 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My guess is it just needs a re-greasing of the helicoids, but it's hard to know for sure. See if they will let you return it if that's not the issue, and get it checked out by a shop that does a good CLA.

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3006 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Thank you for your reply. No, I am not talking about one in KEH. I live in China and found this lens in a shop here. The tightness that I felt focusing the lens was nowhere near as bad as what you describe. It is quite tight, but still not difficult to focus. The tightness is also constant, not with a tight spot as your KEH sample had.

OK I am glad it's not. KEH still has the same one I bought and that is the exact price $550 that they have it listed at. I just didn't want someone to have to go through the disappointment that I did upon receiving it.

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:05 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3006 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
My guess is it just needs a re-greasing of the helicoids, but it's hard to know for sure. See if they will let you return it if that's not the issue, and get it checked out by a shop that does a good CLA.

Good suggestion. Thank you. The store offers a 3 month warranty, but I would doubt that anything could go wrong in such a short period of time.

There are repair stores in this mall and i can stop by and ask for their opinion on this issue. There is a very fine nice smooth focusing sample in the store too, but for $100 more.

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:06 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3006 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

If the 85 1.4 can be fixed at a reasonable price, it may be quite a bargain if the rest of the lens is in really good shape.

Philip, very nice scene again from Zurich, love the colors and light on and through those banners.

Here's another try with the 35 1.4N + PK-11A combo, this one at f/8:

Edited on Jul 06, 2013 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

rattymouse
• • • •
p.3006 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matt OHarver wrote:
OK I am glad it's not. KEH still has the same one I bought and that is the exact price $550 that they have it listed at. I just didn't want someone to have to go through the disappointment that I did upon receiving it.

Thanks for your concern. Interesting that they are the same price!

anthonysemone
• • • •
p.3006 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

85/1.4 shows up here on FM now and again. I just scored a helluva copy for just a bit South of $600. Snagged it as soon as I saw it. The gentleman who sold it was astute enough to post a picture with the serial # showing so that it was possible to confirm clearly that it was Ai-S. Now, if I had a Nikon body, I'd be able to start posting pics here Actually come Monday I'll have an F4 I can do that with

Curtis, it's all your fault

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:17 PM
rolubich
• •
p.3006 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hallo everybody,

I have just came back from some days off, I have had a quik look at the last pages: some really great stuff.

Here are three pictures, one for each lens I had with me.

20mm f/4

4200x2800

28-50mm f/3.5

4200x2800

75-150mm f/3.5 E

Full Res

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:47 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3006 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Roberto, welcome back. Superb pictures each one of those three at the beach. That sunstar with the 28-50 is perfect.

Samy

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:26 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3006 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Flower in direct sunlight with 35 1.4N + PK-11A, f/8:

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

amlsml
• • •
p.3006 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some really spectacular shots in here!!! The MF bug continues, A 16 3.5 fish on a d600 . not sure what the Bug is, but likes the curve of the lines. Even tries a handheld , backdoor fireworks. Thanks for a great thread. Andy

NIKON D600    16mm    f/5.6    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    16mm    f/3.5    1/640s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    16mm    f/5.6    8s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:42 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3006 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
I am guessing that's a single exposure on the 16mm, although John will need to confirm. At that wide of an angle, I believe you can get away with a 30 sec image without stars forming trails.

Samy has it right.
Fisheye and a single exposure. 30 sec leaves slight trails, but they are hard to see unless zoomed in to 100%..
Not my best night sky image for sure!

And yes I have two 16/3.5's because I know I'll drop one some day or scratch the front element sticking it too close to something.

John

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3006 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

anthonysemone wrote:
85/1.4 shows up here on FM now and again. I just scored a helluva copy for just a bit South of $600. Snagged it as soon as I saw it. The gentleman who sold it was astute enough to post a picture with the serial # showing so that it was possible to confirm clearly that it was Ai-S. Now, if I had a Nikon body, I'd be able to start posting pics here Actually come Monday I'll have an F4 I can do that with

Curtis, it's all your fault

Keep THIS one Tony and you won't have to worry about conditions in the marketplace... And you're welcome...

I know you're journey has been complicated but I'm delighted you feel ready for another round of manual focus shooting with a Nikkor lens mounted on you Nikon camera body. I've not experienced the whole film to digital thing but quite a few folks posting here do that so a bright guy like you can surely make it happen. And welcome back...

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:50 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3006 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Samy has it right.
Fisheye and a single exposure. 30 sec leaves slight trails, but they are hard to see unless zoomed in to 100%..
Not my best night sky image for sure!

And yes I have two 16/3.5's because I know I'll drop one some day or scratch the front element sticking it too close to something.

John

You also have two John because you love that lens... let's get serious here...

You are the culprit when it comes to this lens, not me. And as we've seen over and over again this little lens is great. And I really enjoyed this night sky shot, even if it wasn't your best. Keep em coming...

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3006 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

amlsml wrote:
Some really spectacular shots in here!!! The MF bug continues, A 16 3.5 fish on a d600 . not sure what the Bug is, but likes the curve of the lines. Even tries a handheld , backdoor fireworks. Thanks for a great thread. Andy

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/33/832733.jpg

Love this shot Andy and would really enjoy seeing a larger image. Most of us tend to post at 1000 pixels at the long side. I'd encourage you to create a larger file of this image and post it on the thread Ray started on the Nikon forum for fireworks shots. This is a really sweet image, demonstrating what Georg said about showing the ground by using wider lenses. We're not going to see much wider than what you've done here. First rate work.

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:55 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3006 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

B&W version of the flower macro with 35 1.4N + PK-11A, which I am going to cross post to the Shooting with Tubes thread. At f/8:

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:59 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3006 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wonderful set Roberto. Doesn't appear to be a bad place for a holiday. I keep hearing from my friend Rinie about her latest excursion and can't help but be envious of folks living in Europe who seem more inclined to take holidays than most Americans. I think Rinie has 56 days off during the year in addition to weekends. She also can "buy" additional time off, so she generally has 70 days in which to play. Of course, I'm retired so I can't complain but it sure would have been nice during my working career when I had more disposable income to have had the time to do more traveling. You appear to be living the good life Roberto. Wonderful!

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:01 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3006 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I like them both Samy... and I definitely am enjoying your tube work. You don't list all your MF lenses in your profile so I'm left to appreciate what is in your kit an image at a time as you list the lens used. The 35 f/1.4 N is a very sweet lens that I'd be tempted to buy except for the price and the fact that with the AI-s already in my kit I have that focal length covered. But I guess price is the key issue because I've certainly been willing to duplicate focal lengths before, sometimes multiple times. But $500 is a bit too steep a price at 35mm. I love what you're doing with that lens though. I'll appreciate it vicariously...

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.3006 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks

Great flower shot Samy
Great set Roberto

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:28 PM
franche63

p.3006 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

sorry guys can't remember all names,but ALL pictures in this forum are wonderful! Long life to our beloved MF lenses

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password