Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              4298       4299       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

camerapapi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

These are some of the sharpest, more colorful photos I have seen in this forum.
Any questions about the quality of Nikkor optics?

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

camerapapi wrote:
These are some of the sharpest, more colorful photos I have seen in this forum.
Any questions about the quality of Nikkor optics?

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I can only guess that these wonderful lenses fell out of favor with the vast majority of photographers because AF shooting doesn't require the same degree of concentration as MF shooting. I know for those who've shot for decades, manual focusing is second nature. I was shooting yesterday afternoon and friend who'd observed me shooting before exclaimed, "You're shooting manual!" and proceeded to tell me about his long lost Nikon kit. Obviously my left hand turning the lens gave me away.

I can't help but wonder how many of the folks posting images from the MF Nikkor lenses are actually still shooting with them. Quite a few photos posted have been recycled through other threads and could have been taken long ago. For me its all new and refreshing, reinvigorating my photography. I'm now an apostle...

From this morning, taken at the Marin Rowing Club with the 28 f/2.8 AI-s at f/4.

Edited on Oct 07, 2010 at 03:29 AM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis.
Iam still using mine, not every day, but often Last week i took one AF lens and four MF lenses to the New Jersey State Fair.
Cheers
Harry

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:47 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I can only guess that these wonderful lenses fell out of favor with the vast majority of photographers because AF shooting doesn't require the same degree of concentration as MF shooting. I know for those who've shot for decades, manual focusing is second nature.

I'm not sure I could ever claim it's "second nature" for me, but with some practice and nice bright viewfinders it's surely possible to get sharp shots consistently, even with moving targets. Granted this isn't Dwayne Wade, but kids' street ball does require some degree of quick left hand focussing...

200/f4 AI

My ONLY real beef with this lens (200/f4 AI) is the fact that it's anything but macro in the close focus distance. This was about as close as I could get here:

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:47 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dj dunzie.
A set of Kenko extension tubes would be a happy addition to your lens arsnel. They are great problem solvers.
Harry

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:51 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DJ - Absolutely, you were able to keep up with this youngster, or at least your lens with a little help from you left hand kept up... You're right, of course, this lens has a long minimal focus distance... of course, that can work well if what you're shooting is up in the air.

I hadn't entered the lens into the camera as yet so the EXIF is screwed up, but this WAS shot wide open with the 200 f/4 AI-s that i came upon for the princely sum of $89 Buy it Now on E-Bay. That no doubt spurred my interest in these manual focus lenses.

Edited on Jun 02, 2012 at 03:51 PM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Dj dunzie.
A set of Kenko extension tubes would be a happy addition to your lens arsnel. They are great problem solvers.
Harry

I'm educable... could you give a brief primer on how one would use tubes with this lens and what the benefit would be?

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:00 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Dj dunzie.
Harry

You know what you may be right. I've looked at them previously and just figured with a 150EX Sigma I have my macro covered anyway, although still to play with some real close ups with various lenses might be worth looking at again.

Aug 24, 2010 at 01:18 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Extension tubes are awesome on a macro set up.

Aug 24, 2010 at 01:37 AM
ecidi
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
That is brilliant.

Thanks CGringahl

Aug 24, 2010 at 01:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The Sigma is pretty darn sweet without the tubes... this is only in this thread because, well I manually focussed it...

Likely the sharpest lens I've ever used.

Aug 24, 2010 at 01:47 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have a set and the 200 f/4 AI-s. I'll have to give it a whirl tomorrow and see how it works.

dj dunzie wrote:
You know what you may be right. I've looked at them previously and just figured with a 150EX Sigma I have my macro covered anyway, although still to play with some real close ups with various lenses might be worth looking at again.

Aug 24, 2010 at 02:41 AM
shmn
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

All these photos just go to show (yet again) that the latest and greatest equipment isn't necessary for good photos...it's all about the user.

Aug 24, 2010 at 02:59 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I visited another of the communities near where I live this evening and took a few more shots with the 28 f/2.8 AI-s at f/4, 50 f/1.2 AI-s at f/1.4 and 135 f/2.8 AI at f/2.8. Here are three, one from each lens...

Edited on Aug 26, 2010 at 05:00 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2010 at 05:54 AM
---XR---
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

shot from some bigger Ai-S Nikkor gold- 400mm 3.5

Aug 24, 2010 at 05:56 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'd love to see what you get with that lens and a tube. Have fun playing!

Aug 24, 2010 at 05:57 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

---XR--- wrote:
shot from some bigger Ai-S Nikkor gold- 400mm 3.5

All right! That's some serious glass. I can't really tell at this size, but it looks awfully sharp... Thanks for stepping in.

Any 600mm AI-s shots out there?

Aug 24, 2010 at 06:03 AM
dgjean
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I don't have a 600 but the 400/5.6 Ai does pretty good hand held:

Nikkor 400/5.6 Ai

Canal Grande, Venezia by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

And the 500/8N Reflex Ai-S hand held from the deck of a vaporetto:

Reflex-Nikkor 500/8N Ai-S

St. Mark's Basin, Venice by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

Edited on Oct 09, 2011 at 06:27 PM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2010 at 06:28 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

When our paths cross on the board Donald, I know I'm up too late, unless of course you're traveling and perhaps in this country for a visit. I have a friend in the Netherlands whom I'll be visiting in early September and when we contact one another on Skype it is invariably her getting ready for bed as I enjoy my day or me getting ready for bed as she gets ready for work. It is about that time...

I wanted to comment on these photos before doing so. I love them both. That the second was taken with a long, slow lens from a moving boat makes it all the more impressive. But then I've really enjoyed all the images you've posted with this unusual lens. As I mentioned, it was stumbling on one such image that led me to your photostream where I searched out all of them. That is a strange, marvelous lens.

I love the first photo as well. The tight composition with the two boats, one sharply rendered, the other softly blurred against that gorgeous backdrop. It is a long time since I last visited Venice but these distinctive facades stay in my mind. I also recall vividly the pedestrians rushing to work in the morning along narrow walkways between buildings at a pace that was remarkable for someone leisurely enjoying the place. Venice surely is one of the magical places on this planet.

Now to bed... Thanks for posting your work!

Aug 24, 2010 at 07:00 AM
Robb Mann
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 50 f1.2 is quickly becoming my favorite lens. It's so easy to focus and so versatile on the D700.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password