Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2996      
       2998              4236       4237       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2997 #1 · p.2997 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You've found the right place Jared. I was initially surprised when this thread didn't die a slow death as so many do but I've since come to understand that there is a very deep affection for both manual focus photography and for these beautifully crafted lenses. I didn't understand that when I first began building my kit. But I do now and in many ways have been humbled by the fact that I stumbled into a deep reservoir of respect and affection for these lenses. Now I simply get to enjoy the work of others who've been attracted to this thread. We're approaching SIXTY THOUSAND posts on this thread. WOW!

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:02 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2997 #2 · p.2997 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Thank you Jared.

Yes we are lucky Curtis that we can slow down and take time to get exactly what we wanted by using these old wonderfully made and cheap lenses. By the way Nikon is not charging to work on the 15mm 3.5 again after I complained about remaining haze after their first service, hopefully they will replace the element and be done with it.

That's great news Rafael. Of course, you've made a serious investment in that lens. It is nice to know that Nikon is willing to meet you there. Their bread and butter may be the latest and greatest, but their reputation is built on the lenses we've all be enjoying. I hope they appreciate how much advertising we're giving them...

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:06 AM
Diallo_Jamal

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2997 #3 · p.2997 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'd like to thank all who have contributed to this thread as well as those who started and maintained its early days, without this thread, I may have never discovered the joys of vintage glass.

I bought a 55 3.5 micro and 105 2.5p and have been absolutely delighted with their performance, and both have created as much excitement/engagement as the purchase of any modern glass.

DSC_8924 by Diallo Jamal, on Flickr 105 2.5p does well focused to infinity

DSC_9610 by Diallo Jamal, on Flickr 55mm 2.8 captures the building I work in on a bike parked outside

DSC_8742-7 by Diallo Jamal, on Flickr I noticed the 55mm has significant veiling flare when shooting into the sun, so I tried to use that to create a bit of a dreamy look in this shot

DSC_8525 by Diallo Jamal, on Flickr First day with the lenses, couldn't wait until I finished work to mount and shoot with them. Very pleased with the sharpness and bokeh of the 105

DSC_9366-1 by Diallo Jamal, on Flickra coworker asked me to take a few pics of her new engagement ring, thankfully I had the 55 3.5 at the ready. The focus wasn't perfect, but I am pleased for quick and dirty shots taken while I had code running (I have cleaned my sensor since these were taken)

DSC_9377-7 by Diallo Jamal, on Flickr

I've thoroughly enjoyed the lenses which I purchased for a song, and look forward to further exploration of Nikon's manual glass.

Edited on Jul 04, 2013 at 05:44 AM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:21 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2997 #4 · p.2997 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Again we are honored that a new member of FM has chosen to make his first post on this thread. Welcome. Is your first name Dialla? It is the custom for those who participate on this thread to add your first name to your profile so we can call you by your first name. I'd invite you to do so.

Also, you will need to figure out how to post images from Flickr. Quite a few participants of this thread use that hosting service so there surely is an easy way. I expect someone will come along and give you guidance.

Finally, the two lenses with which you've begun your manual focus journey are excellent choices. I'm delighted if we inspired you and am even more happy that you chose to present yourself on the thread. Please join in the conversation and share more of your work with us. Few among us are professionals and those that are are remarkably generous with their support. The rest of us are pursuing our passion and using this conversation to increase our understanding about these lenses and to improve our skills in using them. I'm happy you've chosen to join us. Welcome.

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:21 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2997 #5 · p.2997 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
That's great news Rafael. Of course, you've made a serious investment in that lens. It is nice to know that Nikon is willing to meet you there. Their bread and butter may be the latest and greatest, but their reputation is built on the lenses we've all be enjoying. I hope they appreciate how much advertising we're giving them...

I have known this lens has haze for a long time, not fungus, a bad coating, decided to fix it because in due time Nikon will stop servicing the 15mm, figured it was a last chance. The kicker about our spreading the good word about Nikon MF lenses is that Nikon does not make any money off them anymore!

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:30 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2997 #6 · p.2997 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Mark, I prefer the B&W-version. The color-version would work better without the red stuff in the background. Converting this image to B&W solves this issue. I hope that isn't too critical, I don't wanna hurt your feelings or so, just my thoughts.

Thanks Georg,
I appreciate the feedback and for sure it isn't critical at all. It's great to find out what could be done better to improve my photography and processing.
Danke und Gr!

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:33 AM
Diallo_Jamal

p.2997 #7 · p.2997 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Again we are honored that a new member of FM has chosen to make his first post on this thread. Welcome. Is your first name Dialla? It is the custom for those who participate on this thread to add your first name to your profile so we can call you by your first name. I'd invite you to do so.

Also, you will need to figure out how to post images from Flickr. Quite a few participants of this thread use that hosting service so there surely is an easy way. I expect someone will come along and give you guidance.

Finally,
...Show more

Many thanks for the warm welcome, I do appreciate it. My first name is Diallo, and I will add that to my profile as you suggest.

I've been very much inspired and have literally read hundreds of the pages of posts which are present in this particular thread, and viewed likely viewed thousands of images. I've been very impressed by the images I have seen, and learned a great deal from the reading I have done.

It is due to this thread I was able to hone in on these particular lenses, and their quality has enhanced my appreciation for nikon glass. I knew about extension tubes prior to discovering this thread, but would have never thought of purchasing prior to my exploration here, and now have a set of extension tubes I hope to put to good use.

Again many thanks to you, and all who have posted here. You've increase the enjoyment I derive from photography, and have opened my eyes to new aspects of it.

Cheers,

Diallo

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:35 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2997 #8 · p.2997 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Diallo, it is folks such as yourself, who've been inspired by this thread that make this whole adventure worthwhile. For many who have joined out conversation, is has been about renewing their relationship with lenses they knew from times long past. But then there are those like myself and like you, who are discovering these lenses for the first time. It is all quite magical that we've found one another and that we can play together. Again, welcome. I love the fact we have people from around the world who've joined this conversation. I look forward to getting to know you as this conversation continues.

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:49 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2997 #9 · p.2997 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The more the merrier - welcome Diallo - looking forward to seeing your contributions to this thread.

- John (currently in South Dakota on vacation and trying not to melt in the heat)

Jul 04, 2013 at 06:16 AM
jaredvanb

p.2997 #10 · p.2997 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Diallo, it is folks such as yourself, who've been inspired by this thread that make this whole adventure worthwhile. For many who have joined out conversation, is has been about renewing their relationship with lenses they knew from times long past. But then there are those like myself and like you, who are discovering these lenses for the first time. It is all quite magical that we've found one another and that we can play together. Again, welcome. I love the fact we have people from around the world who've joined this conversation. I look forward to getting to know
...Show more

I concur. I am really glad I found this thread as it will enable me to learn more about these wonderful lenses, see great images taken by talented people with lenses I am eager to learn about as I am brand new in the world of the MF Nikkors and share my passion for photography with friendly, like minded people from around the world.

Hoping to get out later today to do some shooting with my 50mm/1.8E so that I might have something worth sharing with everyone.

Cheers for now,
Jared

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MarkdV
• • •
p.2997 #11 · p.2997 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi Diallo,

A great selection of shots from two lovely lenses. Your first shot is very moody and your third really turns what many would think is a a weakness into a strength. Both those photos really make me think of some of the great street photography of the late 70's / early 80's.

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:30 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2997 #12 · p.2997 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Welcome Diallo, would love to see more from the big apple. Looks like you may be interested in street shooting, I love looking at street shots. I think because they're SO different then what I normally see around here.

Jul 04, 2013 at 09:41 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2997 #13 · p.2997 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

More excellent images - unfortunately have to be quick today so can't compliment individuals.

Welcome Diallo - I've loved this thread and community since inception and I'm sure you'll enjoy it too. As you've discovered it's not all about photography but also camaraderie - perhaps because thought has to go into lens selection, aperture and focus we seem to be in less of a hurry here and have learned to get to know each other and to care for, and about, each other.

To our American family - happy Independence Day.

Jul 04, 2013 at 10:49 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2997 #14 · p.2997 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jaredvanb wrote:
I concur. I am really glad I found this thread as it will enable me to learn more about these wonderful lenses, see great images taken by talented people with lenses I am eager to learn about as I am brand new in the world of the MF Nikkors and share my passion for photography with friendly, like minded people from around the world.

Hoping to get out later today to do some shooting with my 50mm/1.8E so that I might have something worth sharing with everyone.

Cheers for now,
Jared

Hi Jared,

Hope you get the chance to do some shooting and look forward to your contributions on this thread. just a quick question, do you know our other local Saffa, Peter? He's only 1200km down the N1/N9 from you.
I joined this thread 364 days ago and found the people here to be very supportive, helpful and incredibly talented. I hope your experience is as positive as mine.

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:11 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2997 #15 · p.2997 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Apologies for the junk email, trying out to link photos from flikr...let's see if this works.

Can anyone else see a photo there?

(for some relevance - 180mm + TC201; the guy stood there for about 10 minutes looking like he was going to dive into the water but never did).

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:45 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2997 #16 · p.2997 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Photos's definitely there, Mark is that you in Lieutenant Land?

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:31 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2997 #17 · p.2997 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some from the 10.5cm 2.5 P.

With PK-13 at f/4:

With PK-13 at f/11:

And the 10.5cm 2.5 P without extension tubes, at f/5.6:

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:39 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2997 #18 · p.2997 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Photos's definitely there, Mark is that you in Lieutenant Land?

Thanks Samy,

No, it's not me. Similar hair though, except I cut all mine off and these days look almost like a normal person.

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:42 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2997 #19 · p.2997 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Some from the 10.5cm 2.5 P.

With PK-13 at f/4:

Very nice, love the first one, very subtle and effective

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:55 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •