FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2987      
       2989              5889       5890       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2988 #1 · p.2988 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis you did a great job with my photo. I will have to find a photo that requires a lot more of your expertise. I can't wait to see what Leighton does with it.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:00 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2988 #2 · p.2988 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hey all, have a question for you. I have accumulated quite a number of lenses, all with strengths and weaknesses, and I think I need to cull the flock a bit. What I am looking to do is get a faster 50 than I currently have. I would love to get a 1.2 in either the 50 or 55 flavor. I would essentially use it to replace my current line up of 50's (except my 55/3.5 macro). What would you suggest? I don't want to break the bank on cost and I really do love the look/feel of the older glass with the scalloped rings. I also like how the older glass renders (my 28/3.5 and 35/2.8 are the old style and love how they render, same with my second gen 55/3.5 and my Nikkor-Q 135). I know the AIS are beautiful, but command the price to go with it... Opinions please.

Great work the last few pages. Ronny, you are turning into the "bug-in-flight" (BIF) master! Bert, you could give a clinic on how to shoot hummingbirds. I have not seen a shot that I didn't love. Phillippe, great work from the Alps. Ray, always love your work and the tripod shots are amazing... I know I am forgetting some, but stellar work all around.

I love that we have some film shooters here too. Payday next week I hope to pick up a roll of Ilford HP5 to put through Harold (my Nikkormat). I need to replace the foams, but they aren't completely degraded yet so I might be able to expose a few rolls.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2988 #3 · p.2988 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Ronny the bees are terrific and the flower - outstanding!
Samy love the bokeh play. Looks nice stopped down
Dean those shots are fantastic
Bert your hummingbirds are out of this world good and worth another look
Scott great work with the polariser it made quick work of that sky.
Curtis the banjo player is great. The detail especially in the finger picks is amazing! I love bluegrass and you have captured it perfectly.
Dylan the man on the bench is perfectly exposed. Look at the detail in the wood - well done
Philip beautiful shot of your baby
Rafael I really enjoyed your ship photos
...Show more

Ray - you have phrased this so elegantly. All I can say is "Encore"!

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2988 #4 · p.2988 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Hey all, have a question for you. I have accumulated quite a number of lenses, all with strengths and weaknesses, and I think I need to cull the flock a bit. What I am looking to do is get a faster 50 than I currently have. I would love to get a 1.2 in either the 50 or 55 flavor. I would essentially use it to replace my current line up of 50's (except my 55/3.5 macro). What would you suggest? I don't want to break the bank on cost and I really do love the look/feel of the older
...Show more

Kevin - you've shown yourself to be very handy at lens repair. Why not search out an old non ai 55 1.2 (if you can track one down) and ai it yourself? There's very little to it and you may be rewarded with something special.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:29 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2988 #5 · p.2988 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, I found my AI'd 55/1.2 S.C. on Kijiji (kinda like craigs list up here, but owned by ebay) for $325 I think. Maybe even $300.

It isn't the prettiest lens to look at, and it has a small nick on the front element. But for the money I couldn't say no.

It is pretty heavy compare to my 50/2 AI. And it is limited in it's usability at 1.2. Sure, you can make photos with it, but you get some pretty heavy haloing in certain light.

All this said, it is my favorite '50', and I've got a few.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:36 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2988 #6 · p.2988 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Kevin - you've shown yourself to be very handy at lens repair. Why not search out an old non ai 55 1.2 (if you can track one down) and ai it yourself? There's very little to it and you may be rewarded with something special.

I have considered that. A lot of the 55/1.2 I have seen have been commanding really high prices, enough that I can spend a tad more and just get one that is already converted.

Which versions of the 1.2 do you prefer? I do shoot a lot in less than favorable lighting, so opening up to 1.2 or 1.4 would be handy (1.8 on my E works, but is grainy at ISO6400, would love to bring ISO down, can't use flash)

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:48 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2988 #7 · p.2988 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, the 55/1.2 (a late Ai-model in my camera-bag, couldn't find the "cool" SC-variant) is my favorite "50" and I have a few too ;-)
I can't speak for others but found focusing the super-fast 50's on a D7000 to be challenging to say the least.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:53 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2988 #8 · p.2988 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some vacation-snaps from the Baltic Sea. Nothing special, just the stuff I like to see and capture:

remains from the past in a Swedish fishing harbour, PC85/2.8D

a beautifully restored fishing boat, Sweden, PC85/2.8D

Sailing-vessel from the Netherlands are a daily sight here, PC85/2.8D too, all in-camera-RAW-conversions

Edited on Aug 05, 2013 at 07:02 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:55 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2988 #9 · p.2988 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Kevin, the 55/1.2 (a late Ai-model in my camera-bag, couldn't find the "cool" SC-variant) is my favorite "50" and I have a few too ;-)
I can't speak for others but found focusing the super-fast 50's on a D7000 to be challenging to say the least.

I already know that it will be hard to focus, but historically, I will focus around 2.8 then open it up to shoot. How much brighter will I be with a 1.2 over a 1.4? I know the math difference from 1.8 on, below that I don't quite know if its a 1/3 stop or what. I ask because I have a very nice 50/1.4 K variant that I can either convert myself or bite the bullet and get the AI kit (which is $50 now, those kits are going up in price now everywhere for the 'good' kits). What do you think?

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:02 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2988 #10 · p.2988 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I think Peter gives you great advice about doing the AI conversion yourself. As Jose has demonstrated it is possible to do it with care resulting in a very clean look. You'll always pay a significant premium for the 50 f/1.2 especially if you go for the AI-s with nine aperture blades. But the 55 f/1.2 has great character that I personally enjoy. That lens definitely makes its way to my camera more often than does the 50,

Here's a link to a 55 f/1.2 S.C. pre-AI lens at a fair price, though shipping from Japan adds $40 to the cost. I don't know this vendor but I do know that the one time I bought a lens from Japan it was a wonderful experience with the most professional packaging I've ever experienced.

Nikon 55 f/1.2 S.C. Pre-AI for $299.00 on E-Bay

Good luck sorting it out Kevin.

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

georgms
• • • •
p.2988 #11 · p.2988 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I already know that it will be hard to focus, but historically, I will focus around 2.8 then open it up to shoot. How much brighter will I be with a 1.2 over a 1.4? I know the math difference from 1.8 on, below that I don't quite know if its a 1/3 stop or what. I ask because I have a very nice 50/1.4 K variant that I can either convert myself or bite the bullet and get the AI kit (which is $50 now, those kits are going up in price now everywhere for the 'good' kits). What
...Show more

Kevin, I've never compared the fast 50's for their actual light-transmission (hard to do that, because of the vignetting and stuff like this). I would just say "about half a stop brighter than the 50/1.4's im used too use".
I love lenses with a special rendering, the last bit of resolution is nothing I worry about for casual shooting. That's why I love the 55/1.2 so much, for more critical use the more modern lenses work better (better correction I assume).
Wide open the 55/1.2 renders a given scene more dreamy than the 50/1.2 or the modern AF-S lenses (based on casual shooting with just 1 example of a 55/1.2, maybe better examples are out there).

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:16 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2988 #12 · p.2988 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I already know that it will be hard to focus, but historically, I will focus around 2.8 then open it up to shoot. How much brighter will I be with a 1.2 over a 1.4? I know the math difference from 1.8 on, below that I don't quite know if its a 1/3 stop or what. I ask because I have a very nice 50/1.4 K variant that I can either convert myself or bite the bullet and get the AI kit (which is $50 now, those kits are going up in price now everywhere for the 'good' kits). What
...Show more

I think before you invest $300-400 you should get the 50mm 1.4 converted. It has amazingly thin DOF and the bokeh is wonderful. It might just be what you are looking for

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:22 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2988 #13 · p.2988 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, sell me the cap for your 16.

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:45 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2988 #14 · p.2988 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Ray, sell me the cap for your 16.

Only if I can find a mint one

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:55 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2988 #15 · p.2988 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
I think before you invest $300-400 you should get the 50mm 1.4 converted. It has amazingly thin DOF and the bokeh is wonderful. It might just be what you are looking for

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v82/p1763152978-5.jpg

You know, I think I will do that. I need to clean up one of my definite sells and get it advertised. Do you think I should buy the AI kit or convert? I feel weird taking a file to an otherwise EX+ to LN- lens. Plus, I cannot find my flat file, I think someone might have borrowed it.

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2988 #16 · p.2988 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

thank you Georg and Ray

Nice set, Georg. As always it emerges really much poetry from your images.

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:16 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2988 #17 · p.2988 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some vacation-snaps from the Baltic Sea. Nothing special, just the stuff I like to see and capture:

This brought to mind, when Bram Stoker's, Count Dracula came to England, for some reason! Great capture!!

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:19 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2988 #18 · p.2988 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Tom, it has to do with the total aesthetic experience, at least that is how I find it. I turn the focusing ring to bring the image into focus in the viewfinder. I turn the aperture ring at the lens as well. It feels just right. I'm not rushing, I'm deeply into the experience, a sort of Zen moment. The lens feels solid in my hand, the metal cool to the touch, the focusing ring well damped, the aperture ring with solid clicks. I really don't enjoy AF lenses any longer. I know they are useful in some situations, but
...Show more
the solitaire wrote:
That kind of sums it up nicely, except that you forgot to mention that these lenses are often a lot smaller then their AF counterparts which also is a blessing for camera bags.

Any opinions on the 200mm f4 Ai lens? (the non-macro lens)
I saw a pair of them at a local photo shop for $100 each and they appeared to be in good shape. They are quite small for a 200mm focal length and have the slide-out lens hoods.

Would I better invest in a 180 f2.8?

CGrindahl wrote:
I'll second Leighton's comment Buddy, though since he's man a few words and I can't help writing many words, I'll say a bit more on the subject.

Happy shopping.

Who didn't know that!

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2988 #19 · p.2988 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

50/1.8 ais :

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:20 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked