1       2       3              2986      
       2988              5888       5889       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2987 #1 · p.2987 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
I will have to try them, the difference must be at large apertures, have a hard time believing they will be much better than the nikkors at 4, 5.6 and 8.

That's right .. zeiss strength is how the draws,microcontrast and bokeh
They are not better than nikon at low aperture
Then, you always ask yourself if it is worth the difference in money ?
Up to each individual to decide
Nikon has many good lenses that are just as good and maybe even better
But just the biggest difference I think is how is draw and a bit of 3D
feeling that one can get at large apertures

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:44 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2987 #2 · p.2987 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tom, I had occasion when shooting with an acquaintance who lives quite close to me whom I met on FM, to try some exotic lenses. He has deep pockets that permit him to acquire an extensive collection that included both Zeiss and Leica gear. On this particular day i shot with his Voigtlander 125 f/2.5, Zeiss 100 f/2, Zeiss 50 f/2 and Leica 90 f/2. I loved them all but I wasn't so blown away by any of them that I concluded I needed to expand my kit.

Some time ago a fellow then active on FM at my urging did a comparison of the Zeiss 100 with Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI-s. It was quite a delightful experiment in part because so many Zeiss fans were convinced they would tell the difference between the two lenses. They couldn't.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/940602/0?keyword=useless,exercise#8885589

I wouldn't for a moment suggest that Zeiss makes other than stellar lenses. The question is simply whether what you get from the investment is worth the money. Ronny shoots with both Nikon and Zeiss and frankly, I can't imagine he gets better images out of his 100 than he does from his 135 f/2 or his 180 f/2.8. In my hand, the Zeiss 100 offered nothing in terms of craftsmanship that improves on the 105 f/1.8 AI-s. It has a shorter focus throw but that is about it. I bought the Nikon for $495 and the ZF version of the 100 would be eight or nine hundred dollars more.

Ronny is right, the 35 f/2 is the best bargain among Zeiss lenses. If you want to give them a spin that might be a good place to begin given how you shoot. The 21 has always intrigued me but I don't love that focal length enough to invest that kind of money. The 100 at ZF.2 is over $1,800, which simply isn't going to happen for me. The three most expensive MF Nikkors I own cost less than that. I'd hardly trade my 35 f/1.4 AI-s, 85 f/1.4 AI-s and 135 f/2 AI-s for a single Zeiss lens.

To that you could add that I'd rather spend time on this thread than in the Alternative Gear forum. Yes, there are nice folks hanging out all over FM but this is home... at least for me...

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:42 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2987 #3 · p.2987 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray uploaded his image from a few days ago to the Dropbox folder and I tried my hand at processing the image. Here is the original followed by Ray's treatment and then my attempt.

In Lightoom 5 I increased exposure, then used the graduated filter to darken the sky and add a touch of saturation. Then I increased clarity slightly. In Photoshop I simply reduced size and made a pass with Smart Sharpen before saving. I didn't use any adjustment brushes or apply shadows and highlights. The colors in Ray's image pop a bit more. I did nothing with foreground luminance or saturation. Interesting...

Edited on Aug 05, 2013 at 08:08 AM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:04 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2987 #4 · p.2987 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, I am at work now so have not looked at your link yet but will do so in the near future. I know that I can spot a Zeiss image almost every time. For whatever reason, my eyes are quite sensitive to the Zeiss drawing style. It is very beautiful. That said, the amount of $$$ that those lenses cost is definitely a reason to pause and truly contemplate the value that they offer. The 21mm Distagon is the big pull for me. I am amazed at how much glass Zeiss packed into that design. It is an amazing lens. I'm not sure if an $1800 lens works on 35mm film (cost benefit analysis). Shooting digital, I would have no problem buying that lens.

I understand your resistance to buying an Alt lens because it would take you out of here. Social forums can be a big part of photography. Being in a non English speaking environment, forums are FAR more important to me than most I think. All day long, I am immersed in Chinese. I need an outlet for English!! The #1 reason why I am here in the Nikon MF thread is that I finally had to leave Fuji cameras behind because I simply could not take the rabid drooling fan boys inhabiting DPR's Fuji forums. It just became so infantile there that all the fun was lost. If I dared stay anything that indicated a Fuji camera was not #1, savage and vicious personal attacks were hurled at me. I was shooting medium format film at the time and so went full time with that and somehow along the way, stumbled into buying an FM2. Funny, right now I cannot even remember what pushed me into buying the FM2. It was a completely spontaneous purchase.

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:05 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2987 #5 · p.2987 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Geraldine would say the "devil made you do it..."

Good night all... it is past 1 a.m. and well past my bedtime...

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:12 AM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2987 #6 · p.2987 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

An advantage with Zeiss 100MP is macro ..(even if it has only one magnification 1:2)
but of course you can some of it using tubes on nikon 105 135 180mm or a Nikon macro lens

Have seen that comparison to .. 100MP isn't Zeiss best portrait lens..I think that 85P and also 135f2 sonnar work's better for what kind of shot's
just as Curtis says .. You can get many prime Nikon for just one Zeiss 100MP
so you most always ask yourself if it is worth the difference in money ?
and I just love my MF nikon with 135mmf2 and 180mm ai-s
But I love with my zeiss lens to
But zeiss 35 f/2 is the best bargain among Zeiss lenses I think

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:26 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.2987 #7 · p.2987 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Tom, it has to do with the total aesthetic experience, at least that is how I find it. I turn the focusing ring to bring the image into focus in the viewfinder. I turn the aperture ring at the lens as well. It feels just right. I'm not rushing, I'm deeply into the experience, a sort of Zen moment. The lens feels solid in my hand, the metal cool to the touch, the focusing ring well damped, the aperture ring with solid clicks. I really don't enjoy AF lenses any longer. I know they are useful in some situations, but
...Show more

That kind of sums it up nicely, except that you forgot to mention that these lenses are often a lot smaller then their AF counterparts which also is a blessing for camera bags.

Any opinions on the 200mm f4 Ai lens? (the non-macro lens)
I saw a pair of them at a local photo shop for $100 each and they appeared to be in good shape. They are quite small for a 200mm focal length and have the slide-out lens hoods.

Would I better invest in a 180 f2.8?

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:57 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2987 #8 · p.2987 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
That kind of sums it up nicely, except that you forgot to mention that these lenses are often a lot smaller then their AF counterparts which also is a blessing for camera bags.

I saw a pair of them at a local photo shop for $100 each and they appeared to be in good shape. They are quite small for a 200mm focal length and have the slide-out lens hoods.

IMHO, YES!!!

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:31 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2987 #9 · p.2987 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67 wrote:
A few more from this morning, I had to crop a little as I couldn't get to close with the 200mm F4 Ai.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/82/845282.jpg
Bert

Bert, all of these are outstanding, but this one is my favorite, well done!

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:34 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2987 #10 · p.2987 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:

I'll second Leighton's comment Buddy, though since he's man a few words and I can't help writing many words, I'll say a bit more on the subject. The 200 f/4 AI or AI-s, as Bert keeps demonstrating, is a really wonderful lens. I paid $89 for the copy I bought on E-Bay so the price you're quoting is definitely in the ballpark. The lens is relatively small given its focal length which contributes to a challenge when using it, at least in my experience. If you're on a tripod, no big deal, but if you're hand holding, the lens doesn't offer much weight or mass to help steady you. You need impeccable technique to get sharp images. That is one reason I was so smitten with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd I bought earlier this year. It is a bigger, heavier lens that balances on my D700 perfectly... much like the larger, heavier 180 f/2.8 AI-s ED which has long been a desert island lens for me.

I don't think anyone who shoots with the 180 will give it other than a stellar review. It is sharp wide open and performs beautifully with tubes and teleconverters as well as bare. And it remains an incredible value for the money. Prices will be higher where you are but I've bought two copies each for $300, the last in pristine condition with its box and insert.

Were I in your situation I'd go for the 180 unless you really need to stay small with your kit. In that case you'd want to stay away from the older Q.C. lens. Here's an old photo that Leighton used on the blog showing the first lenses added to my kit. The 180 is at the right with the 200 standing next to it, just to give you a sense of scale...

Happy shopping.

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zichar
• • • •
p.2987 #11 · p.2987 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I remember that one very well Curtis. I don't suppose you've ever done one with the whole lot on a single plane like that? 36

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:37 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.2987 #12 · p.2987 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I wholeheartedly agree with Curtis on the 180mm.

It is a must for any serious Nikon MF lens user. Slightly larger than the 200 f4 but a lot smaller than the 200mm f2

So discreet for the street shots, wonderful bokeh, a fabulous portrait lens. And tack sharp. What's not to like ?

Here are a couple more from the 180mm

The street fender, shows of the DOF on this magnificent lens wide open.
180mm 2 f2.8 ISO320 1/640th

The audience listener
180mm @ f2.8 ISO320 1/160th

Steve

Stokesey 2013

Street Fender tuning board

Stokesey 2013

Absorbed audience - or Tired and emotional ?

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.2987 #13 · p.2987 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Something for the weekend sir??

180mm @f4 ISO320 1/640th - PS 5.5 Adjustments - Black and White - Green filter

For consenting people only of course.

Steve

Something for the weekend sir?

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.2987 #14 · p.2987 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

While I was playing with the guitar - I thought - why the hell not !!!

So a mixed Fender - c&c welcome

Used 180mm @f4 ISO320 1/2000th

Steve

Stokesey 2013

Mixing the Fender

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:48 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.2987 #15 · p.2987 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That's a very odd tuning peg position. Looks like he is playing with a left-handed guitar
Based on his position of the chord he is playing, I think the body is right-handed but with the left head. Kindda cool since it throws you off by looking at it.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:14 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2987 #16 · p.2987 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Steve, love the "Barber"-shot ;-)
Georg (MF-Nikkor-shooter from Germany).

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:23 PM
stedge
• • •
p.2987 #17 · p.2987 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

he's doing a pseudo- Hendrix thing - hendrix took a right-handed strat and flipped it over so he could play leftie.

This gent has a right-handed guitar with a neck flipped over - or maybe just the headstock, who knows.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2987 #18 · p.2987 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My base camp is here in Champex, Switzerland
28/2.8 ais

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:37 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2987 #19 · p.2987 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philippe, magnifique work in "Suisse". I'm not talking about just the scenery above, but also about the previous images from your vacation-destination.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:51 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2987 #20 · p.2987 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny the bees are terrific and the flower - outstanding!
Samy love the bokeh play. Looks nice stopped down
Dean those shots are fantastic
Bert your hummingbirds are out of this world good and worth another look

Scott great work with the polariser it made quick work of that sky.
Curtis the banjo player is great. The detail especially in the finger picks is amazing! I love bluegrass and you have captured it perfectly.
Dylan the man on the bench is perfectly exposed. Look at the detail in the wood - well done
Philip beautiful shot of your baby
Rafael I really enjoyed your ship photos - feels like I am there
Steve I am usually not a fan of selective color but that shot is amazing
Phillippe what a vista. Just an amazing place on earth to be. You lucky guy!!!!

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password