1       2       3              2985      
       2987              5886       5887       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2986 #1 · p.2986 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I love bluegrass music and these guys were very good. What a pleasurable way to spend an afternoon.... good music and a camera in hand. I was the only person shooting and I wandered around shooting to my hearts content. Great fun!

Excellent series capturing the mood and feel of the music very well. I know what it is like being the only shooter around, very very relaxing. I had a lot of that in Paris a few months ago. I found many of the large cathedrals that I entered were almost totally empty!! Amazing have such a large building all to yourself. I would walk the whole building in peace taking pictures, not a sound to be heard. There are a lot of advantages to getting an early start to the day while everyone else is sleeping!!

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:33 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2986 #2 · p.2986 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I love bluegrass music and these guys were very good. What a pleasurable way to spend an afternoon.... good music and a camera in hand. I was the only person shooting and I wandered around shooting to my hearts content. Great fun!

Excellent series capturing the mood and feel of the music very well. I know what it is like being the only shooter around, very very relaxing. I had a lot of that in Paris a few months ago. I found many of the large cathedrals that I entered were almost totally empty!! Amazing have such a large building all to yourself. I would walk the whole building in peace taking pictures, not a sound to be heard. There are a lot of advantages to getting an early start to the day while everyone else is sleeping!!

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:33 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2986 #3 · p.2986 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you everyone for the kind words on the 16mm car shots, it was a challenge and I was not happy with the outcome, fisheyes do challenge creativity.

Rectilinear wide angles are so much easier to use

Here is a 15mm 3.5 ais well focused on D800

Dedicated to those who lost a loved one to the sea.
100% crop

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Turret number 2 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Turret number 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:09 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2986 #4 · p.2986 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
...With 37 lenses you have to be able to answer a question I thought of. Are there any bum MF Nikon lenses? So far everything I read shows that most of these lenses are pretty amazing performers. Is it possible that EVERY one of them are? Or did Nikon put out a bum lens every now and then, and should be avoided? I dont count zoom lenses since I will never, ever buy a zoom. I just dont like 'em.

I haven't bought Nikon MF lenses randomly, but have chosen lenses that have been well reviewed or recommended by folks whom I respect. None of the lenses I own has disappointed me in any way. What HAS surprised me is that a number of lenses that didn't get great reviews have proved to be stellar. Jose recommended the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd lens that Bjorn Rorslett gave a poor rating and it has been amazing, much as Jose suggested. Quite a few folks have been surprised by the quality of what are generally considered marginal lenses. The 100-300 f/5.6 AI-s was created at a consumer lens but Ray did such outstanding work with it that I gave it a try and was very pleased. The nice thing about these lenses is that they can be bought at a reasonable price, so experimenting is not an expensive proposition. Shooting Canon I paid well over a thousand dollars quite a few times. That was one of the things that blew my mind when I began the Nikon adventure. I bought the 105 f/2.5 AI-s for $197 and it blew my mind. I bought a 20 f/2.8 AI-s, with the last serial number listed on photosynthesis, a 28 f/2.8 AI-s and 50 f/1.2 AI-s, all in pristine condition for $875. I know I got a great deal, but coming from L lenses, these beauties are a steal. Not one of the Canon lenses I bought cost as little as that 105. I'm a happy camper.

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:16 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2986 #5 · p.2986 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Agree completely at what a steal these lenses are compared to not only Canon but just about everyone else, including Nikon's G lenses! I have the Nikon 24mm f/1.4 G lens and I paid $2000 for it. Now I have a 24mm f/2.0 lens which I paid around $400 or so (cant remember). That's a HUGE price to pay to gain one stop, AF, and marginally better IQ. The size difference between these two lenses is pretty comical too.

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:29 AM
adh67
• • •
p.2986 #6 · p.2986 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Andre. On a slow Sunday this seems about the only thread that is moving. Glad you stopped by.

Here are a few more photos from today. Honestly, I can't imagine doing this kind of shooting in any way other than black and white. The setting is not that appealing and the cacophony of colors in what the band members are wearing detracts rather than adds to the scene. These were all processed with Silver Efex Pro 2. I'm really happy I made that investment. If anyone is looking for the software, do a search for a discount coupon because they
...Show more

I agree on the B&W choice , I think it gives a lot more character to the images. I downloaded the demo of SEP and really am liking it, I may have to buy the full product after the trial expires.

Bert

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:40 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2986 #7 · p.2986 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My kit... missing three lenses...

Needless to say Tom, I started this thread because I so loved these beautifully crafted lenses. I just pulled the f/1.4 AI-s out a cabinet next to where I sit. Modern lenses don't come close to this quality of manufacture. I can't imagine I'll ever own a G lens for the simple reason I love controlling aperture at the lens, not with a camera wheel.

Mid-range telephoto lenses...

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:45 AM
adh67
• • •
p.2986 #8 · p.2986 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few more from this morning, I had to crop a little as I couldn't get to close with the 200mm F4 Ai.

Bert

Bert de Haan

Bert de Haan

Bert de Haan

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:45 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2986 #9 · p.2986 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Bert, #'s 1,2, and 4 are spectacular! Well done and thanks for sharing.

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:53 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2986 #10 · p.2986 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow...that's a staggering collection you have there Curtis. What lens is the big fat one, in the middle of the first picture? It is hard for me to read on my crappy Dell work laptop.

I am like you in that I like to use a real aperture ring. Yet I dont understand why that is so important. I can easily control the G lenses on a wheel. It is VERY fast and just as accurate. So I am confused why using an aperture ring is so pleasing. Yet I do not deny that fact!

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwoodard
• • • •
p.2986 #11 · p.2986 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Bert, #'s 1,2, and 4 are spectacular! Well done and thanks for sharing.

Totally agree, #2 is essentially my bucket list shot of a hummingbird.

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:24 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2986 #12 · p.2986 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tom, it has to do with the total aesthetic experience, at least that is how I find it. I turn the focusing ring to bring the image into focus in the viewfinder. I turn the aperture ring at the lens as well. It feels just right. I'm not rushing, I'm deeply into the experience, a sort of Zen moment. The lens feels solid in my hand, the metal cool to the touch, the focusing ring well damped, the aperture ring with solid clicks. I really don't enjoy AF lenses any longer. I know they are useful in some situations, but I prefer the experience of shooting with an MF lens designed to be worked with my fingers.

The fat lens is the 500 f/8 Reflex lens. I don't often mount it, though the addition of a monopod some time ago made using it possible. Hand holding that lens is an exercise in frustration. It is the POOR man's 500mm option, though we had a participant on the thread from Italy who did some amazing work with that lens.

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:32 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2986 #13 · p.2986 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I can imagine the frustration that 500mm coupled with f/8 can bring. Sounds nearly impossible to hand hold with film due to low available ISO values. Today's ISO6400 and up make it more possible I suppose.

I can understand exactly what you are saying about the manual lenses. It makes intellectual sense with focusing, since that is a skill that one must practice. Selecting an aperture is just a mechanical motion. But I do feel the same as you do.

Ever try a Carl Zeiss lens? I am always tempted to try one of those out. I get into BIG trouble looking at the Zeiss threads and Zeiss groups over at flickr. With Zeiss, the cost/benefit ratio goes out the window and since you never picked up one, I am guessing if you had tried one, it did not make economical sense based on the reward. A lot of Canon and Nikon folks dismiss Zeiss lenses, but I find the images that they produce to be quite unique, different from any other lens camera combo. I am so tempted to try the 21mm Distagon. I really should avoid such as it is a very expensive lens. It would be more than a bit foolish to pass up on the value that these Nikon lenses offer.

Funny, I doubt a lot of these lenses were considered value purchases back in the day. I am sure they were quite expensive too!

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:46 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2986 #14 · p.2986 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A long posting but hope worth it, still on the 15mm fest, Peter Oosty go get it.

Went to the port of Los Angeles, San Pedro, huge facility but not the prettiest, interesting yes, pretty no. San Diego bay is pretty and the beautifully restored USS Midway sits among parks and piers with little or no fencing, as a carrier it has lots of open space and is used for Basketball games the president attended and many city functions. It is possible to get a whole picture of the Midway from adjacent parks although I have none to show. This will give you an idea:

Midway 11 Nikkor 8mm Fisheye Nikon f2.8 1:2.8 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The poor USS IOWA is to me a more interesting ship, obsolete as it was built, but such a beauty. It is not manicured but in decent shape, its wood planks half rotted but the remainder of the ship in reasonable shape. This ship was active until the 90s and last fired its cannon in anger during the first gulf war. It is a sister ship to the USS Missouri, which is in Hawaii, and was next to it in Tokyo bay during the signing of the armistice.

There is no good place to get a picture of the whole ship. Did my best, too much fencing.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The business end, 16 inch guns sending a bullet measured in tons.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Bussiness end by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A crop, no offense in pointing it at you

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Bussiness end crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This is what the 16 inch cannon delivers and the gunpowder sacks that are loaded behind it to propel.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Bussiness Payment by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The captain's chair in the bridge

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Bridge by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A Crop

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Bridge crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The armored conning tower within the bridge, the armor is the thickness you see in the door, meant to take a direct artillery hit.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Bridge Armored Conning by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Two gun turrets and the bow from the bridge

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Bridge looking forward by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And the inevitable kiss of memories.

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.2 ais D800 BB61 USS Iowa Kiss by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on Aug 05, 2013 at 02:15 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:47 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2986 #15 · p.2986 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stellar battleship pics!!! The view the captain had from the bridge during a battle must have been amazing. So much history there. Once I was on the USS Iwo Jima while docked in Norfolk. A gust of wind nearly blew me off the deck into the water!! A scary moment for sure.

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:51 AM
drlouis

p.2986 #16 · p.2986 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Welcome DrLouis. That's a great introduction. Beautiful shots and i am sure you will love the 300

Ray

Yes welcome DrLouis, I really like the second shot. very nice!

Bert

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words everyone, it's very much appreciated. I was drawn to this thread by the images and the camaraderie. A very pleasant thread you all have going here.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:20 AM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2986 #17 · p.2986 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
I can imagine the frustration that 500mm coupled with f/8 can bring. Sounds nearly impossible to hand hold with film due to low available ISO values. Today's ISO6400 and up make it more possible I suppose.

I can understand exactly what you are saying about the manual lenses. It makes intellectual sense with focusing, since that is a skill that one must practice. Selecting an aperture is just a mechanical motion. But I do feel the same as you do.

Ever try a Carl Zeiss lens? I am always tempted to try one of those out. I get into BIG trouble looking
...Show more

Try one .. And once you made.. ​you are stuck
Zeiss 21 is very good .. try to get one used...
One that I think you should try is Carl zeiss Distagon T * 2/35
very good and not very expensive used (in Zeiss dimensions)
And Zeiss 85 P 1.4 pure magic;-)
Also 100MP... but it's pretty expensive even used and so is 21mm
50 planar 1.4 and 50 MP is great lens to
are many goodies if you want and can afford .. but of course they are expensive
I bought one lens at a time and when used i good condition (so it took a while before I saved up)

have 21mm and 35 f2
50MP and 100MP and 85P

Edited on Aug 05, 2013 at 05:57 AM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:35 AM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2986 #18 · p.2986 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stunnig again Bert

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:36 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2986 #19 · p.2986 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Try one .. And once you made.. ​you are stuck

That is what I am VERY afraid of.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:59 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2986 #20 · p.2986 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
That is what I am VERY afraid of.

I will have to try them, the difference must be at large apertures, have a hard time believing they will be much better than the nikkors at 4, 5.6 and 8. The quality of the photos seen with them may be more a reflection of the people who buy them and how they do photography.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:28 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password