FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2984      
       2986              5891       5892       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2985 #1 · p.2985 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I understand Ray that every dollar counts. I'm shooting with a 12 mepapixel camera so the demand for more hard drive space is minimal compared with what D800 and even D600 users experience. Leighton makes the case about as well as it can be made in terms of the advantages of shooting RAW, but if you're content with how you handle files, so be it. NO ONE has yet complained about the high quality of what you've shared on this thread. I stopped shooting JPEG very early in my digital days and can't imagine doing it any other way the shooting RAW. Funny that Peter mentions having taken 14,000 shots in six years. I have 44,545 photos in Lightroom and that includes ONLY what I've shot since moving to Nikon 3 and a half years ago. My Canon photos are still on a hard drive and that is another 30,000 photos still remaining after repeated cycles of culling.

Yes, I could certainly get rid of a few files and reduce the load but frankly, disk space is pretty cheap and getting cheaper. But that is me.

Share files when you have your Dropbox account established. We'll still play if you're willing...

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:41 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2985 #2 · p.2985 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lovely set Scott. Farmer's markets are always great places to take photo. The polarizer yielded some very saturated colors that look wonderful. Love the shot of the peach vendor... bokeh play always makes me smile...

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:43 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2985 #3 · p.2985 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another musical group performed this Sunday at Creekside Park in San Anselmo and I stopped to listen and take a few photos. This was a much more laid back event with families resting on blankets, often with their children and listening to a bit of bluegrass music offered by a group of well seasoned performers. There was no edge to this music as I experienced with Bonnie Hayes last week. I'll begin with a closeup that sets the stage... a fellow plucking a five string bang... Shot with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd, then converted in Silver Efex Pro 2 after a bit of tweaking in Lightroom 5.

This is a down payment... more will follow.

Aug 04, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2985 #4 · p.2985 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Fantastic shot!

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:12 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2985 #5 · p.2985 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I understand Ray that every dollar counts. I'm shooting with a 12 mepapixel camera so the demand for more hard drive space is minimal compared with what D800 and even D600 users experience. Leighton makes the case about as well as it can be made in terms of the advantages of shooting RAW, but if you're content with how you handle files, so be it. NO ONE has yet complained about the high quality of what you've shared on this thread. I stopped shooting JPEG very early in my digital days and can't imagine doing it any other way the
...Show more

Interesting that you are a former Canon shooter Curtis. Did you still have a mothballed Canon now or in the past did you ever try to adapt any of these Nikon lenses to a Canon? The EF mount is so much more versatile than the F mount when it comes to lenses that one can use. If I ever do return to digital, I am struggling with which camera to go with, Canon or Nikon. I have a ton of Canon lenses in storage that are quite good. And I can mount all my F lenses on any Canon so there seems to be all the favor going that way instead of with a Nikon.

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:44 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.2985 #6 · p.2985 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Not sure if I've posted this one...perhaps...

In any event, I have reprocessed it in SilverFX and I much prefer the results to my previous edit.

55/1.2 wide open:

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:50 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2985 #7 · p.2985 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Interesting that you are a former Canon shooter Curtis. Did you still have a mothballed Canon now or in the past did you ever try to adapt any of these Nikon lenses to a Canon? The EF mount is so much more versatile than the F mount when it comes to lenses that one can use. If I ever do return to digital, I am struggling with which camera to go with, Canon or Nikon. I have a ton of Canon lenses in storage that are quite good. And I can mount all my F lenses on any Canon so
...Show more

I shot with Canon for five years with a progression of cameras, ending with the 5D. I gradually built a very nice kit with a dozen lenses, nine of which had the red ring around them. A friend who is an accomplished photographer bought a D700 after years shooting with large format film camera and was so smitten with this digital camera that I bought one just to see what the fuss was all about. At the time I didn't sell and Canon gear but I did stumble on my first Nikon MF lens, the 105 f/2.5 AI-s and soon was hooked. I had not gotten into alternative lenses with Canon, though I was aware that many folks were. The combination of the D700 which is an outstanding camera, much better than the 5D, and the incredible manual focus lenses available for a pittance, I began selling my Canon gear to finance my Nikon adventure. I sold the Holy Trinity and the 28-70 f/2.8L as well as the 5D last year.

If you want to play with lenses from other systems, the Canon system my be preferable, but I'm content with Nikon. Of course, having accumulated 37 manual focus lenses, there really isn't too much I'm curious about trying. I don't think I'll embark on another adventure with manual focus lenses and may not buy another camera. The D700 is just about perfect for what I do...

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:03 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2985 #8 · p.2985 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Andre. On a slow Sunday this seems about the only thread that is moving. Glad you stopped by.

Here are a few more photos from today. Honestly, I can't imagine doing this kind of shooting in any way other than black and white. The setting is not that appealing and the cacophony of colors in what the band members are wearing detracts rather than adds to the scene. These were all processed with Silver Efex Pro 2. I'm really happy I made that investment. If anyone is looking for the software, do a search for a discount coupon because they are available. You can save 15%.

All shot with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd. I think I'd better pull the 135 f/2 AI-s out of the cabinet. I've been enjoying this focal length a great deal. Besides, we've got to keep Leighton's eye on the ball...

I love bluegrass music and these guys were very good. What a pleasurable way to spend an afternoon.... good music and a camera in hand. I was the only person shooting and I wandered around shooting to my hearts content. Great fun!

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:11 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2985 #9 · p.2985 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dyan, I didn't comment on your shot with the 16 of the stairwell. That is a delight, a real feast for the eyes. Glad you're enjoying SEP. It really is a perfect tool for the kind of work you do. The guy on the bench is a case in point... gritty urban scene you do so well. Love your work.

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:17 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2985 #10 · p.2985 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I shot with Canon for five years with a progression of cameras, ending with the 5D. I gradually built a very nice kit with a dozen lenses, nine of which had the red ring around them. A friend who is an accomplished photographer bought a D700 after years shooting with large format film camera and was so smitten with this digital camera that I bought one just to see what the fuss was all about. At the time I didn't sell and Canon gear but I did stumble on my first Nikon MF lens, the 105 f/2.5 AI-s and
...Show more

WOW, you WERE quite a Canon shooter. I *adore* my Canon 85L despite not having shot with it for over 5 years. I still have it in storage and give it an exercise every once in awhile. But I dont shoot with Canon seriously anymore. I could not part with it even though it is worth slightly more than what I paid for it.

I am not terribly interested in cameras much, only lenses. I dont see much difference between a Canon 5D, 5DII and D700, D600. I could go either way without any stress. It's all lenses for me. I have no problems spending money on lenses, but really resist buying cameras. This "new" Nikon FM2 that I shoot now is one of the few cameras I have fallen in love with. It is so darned tiny!! Very easy to travel with. I really wish I brought it London and Paris with me a few months ago. Such a shame that I chicken'ed out.

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DTOB
• • •
p.2985 #11 · p.2985 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Dyan, I didn't comment on your shot with the 16 of the stairwell. That is a delight, a real feast for the eyes. Glad you're enjoying SEP. It really is a perfect tool for the kind of work you do. The guy on the bench is a case in point... gritty urban scene you do so well. Love your work.

Thanks Curtis. Really means a lot.

The only problem is that I'm having a hard time leaving anything in colour these days!

I've recently added a link to my Flickr on my profile. I had abandoned it long ago, but since they have upped their storage and allowed higher resolutions, I am back on it. If anyone is curious about the other things I've been shooting lately, namely with my x100s, please feel free to poke around.

I've been checking out others from this thread as I see them. Everyone has really great profiles that pop.

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:27 AM
philipj
• • •
p.2985 #12 · p.2985 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This thread is really rolling. Fantastic images being posted by everyone!

A couple of my own with the 28mm f/2.8 AI-s, one stopped way down, one wide open.

Kromer Radio by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Grapes in Trinity Bellwoods by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:27 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.2985 #13 · p.2985 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Also, I should say, those bluegrass shots are really top shelf. You seem to have caught perfect moments in each. I can almost hear them and I would have loved the opportunity. I'm glad you had a chance to attend and share the spoils.

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:28 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.2985 #14 · p.2985 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yes! Phillip added me as a contact! I really like your photos, shame you don't have the time you used to to post here, but now I'll be checking out your recent stuff on the big F.

I've got one more to post, then it's off to hang with the wifey:

55/1.2

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:43 AM
philipj
• • •
p.2985 #15 · p.2985 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm still lurking a lot, I just don't have a ton of time to take/post my own photos, nor comment on the photos of others for the immediate and foreseeable future. Pro tip: don't have a baby, finish a PhD, and plan a giant move all in the same time period if you value your hobbies and/or sanity.

Really enjoying what everyone else posts though, even if I don't get to contribute as much as I used to. This is the best photography thread on the internet, no question.

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:50 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2985 #16 · p.2985 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
WOW, you WERE quite a Canon shooter. I *adore* my Canon 85L despite not having shot with it for over 5 years. I still have it in storage and give it an exercise every once in awhile. But I dont shoot with Canon seriously anymore. I could not part with it even though it is worth slightly more than what I paid for it.

I am not terribly interested in cameras much, only lenses. I dont see much difference between a Canon 5D, 5DII and D700, D600. I could go either way without any stress. It's all lenses for me.
...Show more

The 85 f/1.2L is my all time favorite lens. I'd bought all my lenses except the 17-40 used and found great lenses at outstanding prices. It wasn't easy to walk away from all of that, but the Nikon 85 f/1.4D is hardly chopped liver and when I sold the last of my Canon kit I invested that money in the more expensive, fast MF lenses, including the 85 f/1.4 AI-s, 105 f/1.8 AI-s, 135 f/2 AI-s, 35 f/1.4 AI-s. I've definitely been happy with my Nikon kit. I understand your feelings Tom, but I've found my home, which is probably reflected most clearly in this thread that is approaching its third anniversary. Photography has become a delightful social venture for me, much enhanced by the community of folks who love these lenses and enjoy sharing their work. We've created something quite wonderful here, so no going back for me...

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:52 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2985 #17 · p.2985 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
I'm still lurking a lot, I just don't have a ton of time to take/post my own photos, nor comment on the photos of others for the immediate and foreseeable future. Pro tip: don't have a baby, finish a PhD, and plan a giant move all in the same time period if you value your hobbies and/or sanity.

Really enjoying what everyone else posts though, even if I don't get to contribute as much as I used to. This is the best photography thread on the internet, no question.

There is light at the other end of the tunnel Philip. On August 18 the friends I've mentioned to you before will hold a first birthday for their son Ansel combined with a housewarming for their recently rented home. Jesse has been doing a post doc at University of California in San Francisco but within the last week accepted his first job outside academia with a biotech company that is a ten minute walk from their new home. He's a few years ahead of you in the process, but I imagine there will be a new job and a completed thesis for you in the near future. You've got your priorities straight. And don't worry about us, we'll be here when you once again have a free moment to share photos, unless Fred pulls the plug on this website, which I seriously doubt will happen. And you're always welcome.

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:00 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2985 #18 · p.2985 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

The 85 f/1.2L is my all time favorite lens. I'd bought all my lenses except the 17-40 used and found great lenses at outstanding prices. It wasn't easy to walk away from all of that, but the Nikon 85 f/1.4D is hardly chopped liver and when I sold the last of my Canon kit I invested that money in the more expensive, fast MF lenses, including the 85 f/1.4 AI-s, 105 f/1.8 AI-s, 135 f/2 AI-s, 35 f/1.4 AI-s. I've definitely been happy with my Nikon kit. I understand your feelings Tom, but I've found my home, which is
...Show more

A shame that Canon users cannot regress back to their manual focus lenses on their EOS cameras. As a film shooter, I probably should have bought a Canon AE-1 or something like that. I am sure those FD lenses are much cheaper than their Nikon equivalents since their customer base is so much smaller. Still, I am pretty happy with the Nikon lenses that I have picked up and am wondering when/if the next one will come. I found a 20mm f/2.8 AIS lens for $250. I can't tell if it is damaged in any way. It has to be at such a low price. I really enjoy the 24mm lens that I have but am tempted to try even wider.

With 37 lenses you have to be able to answer a question I thought of. Are there any bum MF Nikon lenses? So far everything I read shows that most of these lenses are pretty amazing performers. Is it possible that EVERY one of them are? Or did Nikon put out a bum lens every now and then, and should be avoided? I dont count zoom lenses since I will never, ever buy a zoom. I just dont like 'em.

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:19 AM
zippy_monster
• •
p.2985 #19 · p.2985 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
A shame that Canon users cannot regress back to their manual focus lenses on their EOS cameras. As a film shooter, I probably should have bought a Canon AE-1 or something like that. I am sure those FD lenses are much cheaper than their Nikon equivalents since their customer base is so much smaller. Still, I am pretty happy with the Nikon lenses that I have picked up and am wondering when/if the next one will come. I found a 20mm f/2.8 AIS lens for $250. I can't tell if it is damaged in any way. It has to be
...Show more

Canon had an FD to EOS adapter that works for longer lenses (quite well apparently. You can also get FD to EOS adapters that function as short extension tubes. Or you can get FD to EVIL adapters (where FD lenses have probably seen the most popularity recently).

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:23 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2985 #20 · p.2985 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

zippy_monster wrote:
Canon had an FD to EOS adapter that works for longer lenses (quite well apparently. You can also get FD to EOS adapters that function as short extension tubes. Or you can get FD to EVIL adapters (where FD lenses have probably seen the most popularity recently).

Yes, mirrorless folks can use the FD lenses, but I dont think that's terribly popular and I am not interested in crop factors anymore.

Very few EOS folk put FD lenses on their cameras, except the long telephotos since that is the only adapter that does not cause a serious reduction in IQ/usability.

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:30 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password