1       2       3              2975      
       2977              5887       5888       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2976 #1 · p.2976 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
...Curtis - I like the dropbox idea, but how exactly does it work?

I created a Dropbox folder with the title "MFNG Shared" and sent an email to you, Ray and Rinie. I included in the folder a photo taken during the time Nikki was in Rotterdam. Perhaps you recall the photo of Nikki standing atop of post with a barge named Nikki tied up behind the lens. This is a photo Mark has suggested might be the last photo in the book he has proposed to commemorate the Great Lens Adventure. Rinie asked me to process the image which has rather challenging light. Here is what the original and finished product look like.

I envision that folks who decide to participate in this adventure, to upload the completed PSD file to the Dropbox folder, then to do what I've done here... post a smaller jpeg showing the original and the processed image AND to describe what was done.

I began in Lightroom and uploaded this image to Photoshop twice, one treatment with significantly increased exposure and a touch of clarity and the second with a bit a darkening and saturation increase after reducing luminance in the blue channel. In Photoshop I placed the lighter version on top of the darker version and erased the light sky to reveal the darker sky of the underlying layer. No rocket science here.

Later, out of curiosity I went back into Lightroom and used the graduated filter on the lighter version to see if I could more easily darken the sky while maintaining the lighter foreground. Neither Rinie nor I was as happy with that result as with what I share above.

I don't pretend to be a master at post processing, though I enjoy doing it a great deal. Others are certainly welcome to play with this image, OR to add their own NEF image to the Dropbox folder for others to play with. Anyone interested in playing should send me a PM with your email address. I have addresses for those who participated in the Great Lens Adventure, but I wouldn't presume to contact anyone who hasn't expressed an interest in playing.

And remember, this isn't a competition, but rather an opportunity to share with one another how we approach images. I'm always open to learning something new and trust there is a great deal of experience on this thread that is worth tapping into. Anyone want to play?

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:02 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2976 #2 · p.2976 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I created a Dropbox folder with the title "MFNG Shared" and sent an email to you, Ray and Rinie. I included in the folder a photo taken during the time Nikki was in Rotterdam. Perhaps you recall the photo of Nikki standing atop of post with a barge named Nikki tied up behind the lens. This is a photo Mark has suggested might be the last photo in the book he has proposed to commemorate the Great Lens Adventure. Rinie asked me to process the image which has rather challenging light. Here is what the original and finished product look
...Show more

Definitely, sign me up! I too have a Dropbox account, I will PM you my account so you can add me...just need to remember which email I used for it.

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:23 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2976 #3 · p.2976 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Kevin, not to shabby for the 50 e!

The pink rose above is with the 80-200 with a full stack of Vivitar extension tubes. F/8 and ISO1250, handheld.

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:24 PM
adh67
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2976 #4 · p.2976 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I created a Dropbox folder with the title "MFNG Shared" and sent an email to you, Ray and Rinie. I included in the folder a photo taken during the time Nikki was in Rotterdam. Perhaps you recall the photo of Nikki standing atop of post with a barge named Nikki tied up behind the lens. This is a photo Mark has suggested might be the last photo in the book he has proposed to commemorate the Great Lens Adventure. Rinie asked me to process the image which has rather challenging light. Here is what the original and finished product look
...Show more

Looks like a fun project. I would like to play along, I will send you a PM with my details.

Bert

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:30 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2976 #5 · p.2976 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Very fascinating! I have so many questions.
They don't fly away?
Oh the wonderful macro opportunities
I wonder how they do in the heat too
Are those gourds in #4? I may have seen larger ones before, at least 6inches tall
Never seen them so small, are they for keeping insects within?

I can't quite imagine how loud the katydid sounds are
No video function on your FM2? *cough cough*

Thank you! No these bugs don't fly away as I dont think they have wings. I dont think there are many macro opportunities unless you buy one. The market is *extremely* crowded, noisy, and VERY smokey with dozens if not hundreds of people smoking. The vendors would not tolerate you sticking a lens up to their prized insects.

Yes those are gourds seen in one shot. No idea what those are for but you can find them all over Shanghai in all sizes.

I'll check the manual again but I didnt see a video function on my new FM2. The sound of hundreds of these bugs chirping away is very impressive. I dont know how people can work there day after day. I got a headache just from a 30 minute visit!

Thanks again,

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:34 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2976 #6 · p.2976 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Tom I was so intrigued by the insects that I didn't look at the deatil in the colour picture. Quite awesome reflections. Do you go along with the view that digital has now caught up and passed film?

That's a bit of a loaded question there. In terms of resolution, today's digital cameras have caught up to 35mm film. In terms of dynamic range, I am not sure. I rarely ever blow highlights shooting negative film. I dont even think about it much. With my digital cameras, I am *always* on guard to protect the highlights because they are the first thing to go. If you ignore your highlights with digital, you blow them pretty easily outdoors. Negative film has enormous dynamic range.

I shoot medium format film also and here the resolution can stand up with most digital cameras. If I ever get my dream camera, a 6 x 7 format, then digital will struggle to keep up.

Digital in my opinion has not caught up with film in terms of aesthetics. I was a happy digital shooter until I stumbled into the film thread over in the Alt forum. WOW, those images touched me deeply. I never saw such color, tonal range, etc, out of digital images. I lurked in that thread for a good YEAR until I finally decided to go back and buy a film camera. I shot that together with digital for a good year until I decided to drop digital completely and concentrate on film. There was just no question, I liked the output from film much better over my (cough!) NINE other digital cameras.

So in summary, I dont think digital has any catching up to do with film and vice versa. They are two different mediums that can stand on their own based on their own merits. It's a personal decision what to shoot all based on what output (and input) you want. One person paints with water colors, another person with acrylics. It's up to the artist to determine their medium.

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:43 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2976 #7 · p.2976 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Not much work this week with camera and lenses, only some quick photos.

Here's one with the 10.5cm 2.5 with the PK-11A:
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/sa_maryland_fotofun/Flowers/Flower1_zps3d0446fa.jpg

And one with the 35 1.4 N, also with the PK-11A:
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/sa_maryland_fotofun/Flowers/Marigold_zps69534503.jpg

These are exceptionally beautiful photographs!

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.2976 #8 · p.2976 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanx again folks you are the most welcoming group of MF users I have ever come across.

I just can't leave the 180mm alone at the moment. A little less obvious than the 200mm f2. And a bit easier to carry around.

Another street pic from today.

180mm @f4 ISO 320 1/400

He gets a good tune out of a Fender on the street.

Steve

Stokesey 2013

Blending tunes on a Fender bender

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:51 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2976 #9 · p.2976 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
The pink rose above is with the 80-200 with a full stack of Vivitar extension tubes. F/8 and ISO1250, handheld.

Sorry, should of looked better.

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:54 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2976 #10 · p.2976 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Excellent shot of the fender! You can "hear" the blues coming out of this image.

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2976 #11 · p.2976 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Out with the old, in with the new. Here's a scene of an old Shanghai neighborhood being demolished. The Chinese have a religious attachment to their home as usually they are passed down from generation to generation. One of my coworkers, who just retired at 70 years old has lived in the *same* house his entire life. Yes, it is that extreme here.

So when demolition comes around, there is often fierce resistance to moving. Here you can see most of the neighborhood turned into rubble, yet some are refusing to move and are still living there. Their entire front yard and back yard has been pounded into rubble but they dont care. They are not moving. It takes a lot of work from the government to convince people to move and often they make their life miserable to try to speed up the process.

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:58 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.2976 #12 · p.2976 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A couple more from the streets of Manchester UK today on Picnic in Town event.

First one seems to be the battle smoke over the square invaded by Americans who want to 'get Piggy with it'

180mm @ f4 ISO320 1/400th

Second image is the cause of the smokin' hot scene

180mm @f4 ISO320 1/800th

Steve

Stokesey 2013

Smokin' hot

Stokesey 2013

My meat is well done man !!

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:03 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2976 #13 · p.2976 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Loving your work Steve. You're definitely making my case for not investing in the 200 f/2. The 180 f/2.8 AI-s is a wonderful lens that as you note is fairly light and wonderfully sharp even wide open. There is nothing to dislike about the lens and a great deal to appreciate. I bought a MINT condition copy of the lens with its original box for $300. I love the lens... I think I'd better take it out of the cabinet and do some shooting... Thanks for the inspiration.

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:19 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2976 #14 · p.2976 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What a world in which you live Tom. It is hard to imagine raising insects for sale at a market like the one you shared with us. Fascinating... Not surprising that older areas are being cleared when there is so much new construction for so huge a population. It is projected that in the next sixteen years there will be 1.5 BILLION more people on earth, so we can expect more and bigger cities everywhere. From figure I'd seen China will not be leading the way in this expansion. Rather India will surpass China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation

Not that this is a race and not that huge cities are desirable, but there has to be some place for these folks to live and cities have increasingly become home. You're actually living in one of the petrie dishes from which we'll learn the impact on humans of living in such crowded conditions. Of course, you plan on leaving in the not too distant future with 22 million Chinese left in the Shanghai region to fend for themselves...

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:38 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2976 #15 · p.2976 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Good point Curtis. I'd love to see where these insects come from. They are certainly not being caught in the wild (there is no wild land in most of eastern China.) Someone out there is farming these insects, producing millions of them!

Yes, India is going to pass China in population in the not too distant future. Not something to be proud of. A lot of people in the west rip China for their 1 child policy, but something HAD to be done to stem the enormous population. The resources that 1.1 billion people need every day is staggering.

Millions upon millions of rural Chinese are moving into cities and yes, they need a place to live. The old fashioned low rise apartment won't do it. You need endless blocks of towers to house all those people.

Here's the view out my daughter's bedroom window. Just a tiny sliver of Shanghai and you can see dozens of towers. And I live way out in the boonies...in the suburbs. Downtown it is FAR more congested.

FM2 w/24 f/2 lens shooting Fuji 400H film.

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2976 #16 · p.2976 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, some great shots this week!

Peter, looks like a very inviting patio. Really like the look of your 28/3.5PC shots.

David, I sorta like the look of the cheesy glass garden ball.

Jay, great flowers.

Dylan, cool bike shot and the one of the man in the camouflage pants is excellent.

Molson, I like the cat shot, "lipstick" and all.

Welcome Steve. Very fine street shots and a great kit of lenses. I think you're going to be another bad influence.

Philippe, wonderful photos from Switzerland!

Americo, congrats on your new tripod. Great flower shot.

Leighton, I really like the one of the napping vendor in b&w.

Curtis, very nice shot of the "modest" white yacht.

John, I like the subtle, layered look you achieved on the Rankin Ridge shot.

Ray, terrific work with the b&w landscape, and the ones from Circle Bar Ranch are top notch.

Ron, very nice colors of the honeysuckle.

Jorge, great portrait work with the 50/1.2.

Bert, very nice action shots with the 200/4.

Georg, even without SEP, I really like the look of the seaside pano with the 180/2.8.

Chuong, great portrait!

Samy, gorgeous flowers.

Mark, happy day after Swiss National Day! Terrific fireworks.

RM, really interesting shots from the insect market.

Kevin, gorgeous rose!

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2976 #17 · p.2976 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Inspired by Ray and Americo's recent work, here's another one from the tripod brigade.

Table Top Reef Nikon D800 Nikkor 105mm 2.5 ais 1.6s f8 ISO 100

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2976 #18 · p.2976 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Good to see you back on the thread Jeff and to have your photography appear. I didn't comment on the pelican shot but I love it. I'll look forward to seeing more of your work now that your medical procedure is behind you. Have fun shooting.

Thanks so much Curtis. In your honor, here's one where I tried to emulate your terrific flower shooting style.

Emulate is such a great word, much better than copy or steal.

Bird Nikon F100 Nikkor 180mm 2.8 ais Velvia 50 film 1/500s f2.8 ISO 50

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:41 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2976 #19 · p.2976 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:
Inspired by Ray and Americo's recent work, here's another one from the tripod brigade.

Very nice. Love the pastel colors.

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:42 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2976 #20 · p.2976 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

WOW!!!! Jeff thats fantastic!

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:53 PM
       2977              5887       5888       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell