Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2975      
       2977              4375       4376       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2976 #1 · p.2976 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter, that is an amazing chess set. Wow! And the second image really is a delight. I'll have to try a teleconverter on a shorter lens. You're being very creative, which I like a great deal. You da man, Peter...

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:58 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2976 #2 · p.2976 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Aw Kevin, how horrible that you have to give up something you love to do. and do well. Unfortunately, neck straps put a lot more pressure on the neck, too. If you were sticking to paved paths, I'd suggest a rolling cart/bag to carry the gear.

kwoodard wrote:
After my last vacation, I am going to be selling off a lot of my gear, starting with lenses. I will be posting them for sale here next payday (so I can pay for the ability) but if any of you are interested in anything in my kit shoot me a message. I know there are some newcomers here...

As to why. I spent a day with just my D7000 and my 50/1.8E (my lightest lens) and ended up with neck pain (using a VERY comfortable neck strap). A day with my 80-200/4.5 (PK13 in my pocket) landed me with
...Show more

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.2976 #3 · p.2976 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Aw Kevin, how horrible that you have to give up something you love to do. and do well. Unfortunately, neck straps put a lot more pressure on the neck, too. If you were sticking to paved paths, I'd suggest a rolling cart/bag to carry the gear.

I know you "pain' all too well. I am lucky to be able to force my way through the pain and still work, but for how long is only anyone's guess. Take a rest, try some therapy, and see what happens.

Matt

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:05 AM
pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2976 #4 · p.2976 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Peter, that is an amazing chess set. Wow! And the second image really is a delight. I'll have to try a teleconverter on a shorter lens. You're being very creative, which I like a great deal. You da man, Peter...

I'm actually bored out of my mind - we've had constant rains here - and I can't get the long lens out to shoot anything, so when I saw the chess set I finally had a reason to shoot something. Most of my recent weeks were spent re-editing hundreds of old images, which is the curse of finally figuring out how to properly process a raw file. It'll take me months, but right now discovering amazing images in what I thought was low quality stuff from camera bodies I long sold in disappointment is almost as much fun as taking fresh photos. I almost feel like I should have kept my D7000 now, as my increasing pile of lenses is really asking for a second body at times.

And then there's another trip to the mountains approaching very rapidly - 6 weeks to go and I have a zillion logistic things to sort out for this one. So I am procrastinating, I guess, by shooting the old chess set, a product of China before they became a high tech manufacturing country.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:08 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2976 #5 · p.2976 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Something I'm very proud to get out here, that I helped record this year. Song is a favorite of mine, and also my husband's favorite song. The musicians are all local. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cABVKIPk_u0&hd=1

Well done Laura. That is such a wonderful project and I can see why you were thrilled to be a part. I absolutely loved it! Thank you for posting this.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:19 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2976 #6 · p.2976 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott that is a terrific set of photos. Looks like you had a great time. The bokeh on the last to photos sings to me - well done!
Peter what a beautiful chess set and wonderfully photographed. Nice work.
Matt it is great to see you and I am very happy that your "favorite subject" is feeling better. You are missed.
Curtis I like this angle of the statue much better. Very nice shadows and light play.
Kevin I am so sorry to hear that your situation has taken a turn for the worst. You are in our prayers.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:27 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2976 #7 · p.2976 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Well done Laura. That is such a wonderful project and I can see why you were thrilled to be a part. I absolutely loved it! Thank you for posting this.

I'm with Ray, this is fantastic. So beautifully produced with a wonderful message for us all. Thanks for sharing his.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:44 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2976 #8 · p.2976 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sometimes boredom is a great inspiration Peter. I'm glad you're taking advantage of it... I always say that with an MF lens and an extension tube, every occasion has the potential for excitement...

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:45 AM
raboof
• • •
p.2976 #9 · p.2976 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Big baby wrap. She is no longer a baby but still wants to be one...

50mm f1.8 Ai-S

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:02 AM
DesertDiesel

p.2976 #10 · p.2976 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

ONLY if he was driving his wife!!!!

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwoodard
• • • •
p.2976 #11 · p.2976 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I appreciate the sentiment everyone, I really do. I am looking into other options and don't plan on giving up on photography. We will see where the wind blows me and I will be around until/if everything sells. Who knows, I might find something that works and I don't have to get rid of the larger gear. I am open to ideas.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:23 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.2976 #12 · p.2976 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some really great images in this thread, I will post some of my manual glass. no where near the caliber of what is being posted, took this today with a 20 mm f4.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:48 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2976 #13 · p.2976 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I appreciate the sentiment everyone, I really do. I am looking into other options and don't plan on giving up on photography. We will see where the wind blows me and I will be around until/if everything sells. Who knows, I might find something that works and I don't have to get rid of the larger gear. I am open to ideas.

You say something like that with a bunch of men around and you'll surely have a plethora of suggestions... Men are problem solvers. If you doubt me, just ask our wives and girl friends... "Stop trying to fix it and LISTEN to me..."

I wonder if there is another kind of strap that can better distribute weight. I've heard good things about the Black Rapid strap but have no first hand knowledge about it. Of course, switching systems and moving toward a mirror less camera might be the solution. I appreciate that such a move might be expensive and beyond what your budget can tolerate.

It is good to remain open to possibilities... what in 12 Steps is called "meeting life on life's terms." I like that phrase. It is apropos regardless of the challenge we face at the moment. Keep us informed Kevin.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:50 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.2976 #14 · p.2976 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

k woodward, why not try a Nikon v-2 with the converter to use all your glass? May be much lighter, also there are all kinds of window mounts, tripods etc, maybe you could fashion something so the weight is off your frame. Hope you feel better!

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:53 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2976 #15 · p.2976 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

amlsml wrote:
Some really great images in this thread, I will post some of my manual glass. no where near the caliber of what is being posted, took this today with a 20 mm f4.

We learn by doing Andy. This is fine image from a lens not often associated with that kind of shooting. In my experience, we learn by seeing what others create, then emulating them. Gradually, we develop our eye and our skills both with the camera and in post processing. We are blessed on this thread to have some exceptionally good photographers, which is surely an inspiration. That all these folks are so generous makes for a perfect environment in which to experiment and learn. You found us, so now all you have to do is keep coming back, keep sharing your work and keep viewing what others are doing. I'm glad you found us.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:54 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2976 #16 · p.2976 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wonderful! Great editing - both audio and video. Thanks for sharing it.

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Something I'm very proud to get out here, that I helped record this year. Song is a favorite of mine, and also my husband's favorite song. The musicians are all local. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cABVKIPk_u0&hd=1

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:58 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2976 #17 · p.2976 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, Curtis is right...the men will make problem solving suggestions. I think it is an old man conspiracy - they never told us when we were young all the crap our bodies were going to go through. I had to let go of my 500mm afs when diabetes, and very painful peripheral neuropathy came into my life. I figure any day vertical is a good day...pain or not. So here are my suggestions...don't hang a camera on your neck. I hate neck straps, and always just carry it in one hand...usually with the neck strap wrapped a few times around my wrist. Get rid of the equipment that is too heavy. All my camera bags except one are on wheels (Lowepro...check my reviews on my site). Get really really good shoes. Get really really good shoe inserts.. Try some homeopathic things...glucosamine (works a bit for me...don't know how). Eat good healthy food. I assume you have been doing most of these already, but the distraction from the pain - is a good way to deal with it. Hang in there - you are still a young buck, and the future could be quite different from how it is today.

kwoodard wrote:
After my last vacation, I am going to be selling off a lot of my gear, starting with lenses. I will be posting them for sale here next payday (so I can pay for the ability) but if any of you are interested in anything in my kit shoot me a message. I know there are some newcomers here...

As to why. I spent a day with just my D7000 and my 50/1.8E (my lightest lens) and ended up with neck pain (using a VERY comfortable neck strap). A day with my 80-200/4.5 (PK13 in my pocket) landed me with
...Show more

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:19 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2976 #18 · p.2976 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
The fellow in the image is the son of the woman on the left. He and his wife are new vendors this year selling Pupusas. I think I've shown them on here before. I liked how he was looking at his mom in this image.

Ask for a pupusa de loroco Leighton.

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:35 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2976 #19 · p.2976 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the kind comments on the steam tractors Georg, Leighton, Ray.

Mark, love the Breizhiang beach photo.

Ronny, you do wonders with the 135 and the flowers.

Ray, the 16mm 3.5 contiues to amaze.

Jose, interesting Rufous-bellied Thrush, you are outstanding at focusing that 800mm.

Cool cat Jim.

Glad your H lens is a performer Curtis, they the most performance for the money in a 300mm.

Very nice colonial series Scott.

Matt, so good to see you and your son.

Peter is sticking the TC16a behind every lens he has, it is funny 'cause I did it too.

Beautiful colors Andy.

Hang tough Kevin.

My 15mm 3,5 came back, it took 13 days exactly from mailing to receiving, sent it to Nikon for repair as it did not perform well on the D800, the 15mm 5.6 was much better.

I bought both of these for $600 each a long time ago. never quite liked the 3.5, but was happy with the 5.6. I could see a strange light haze in one element of the 3.5 and the photos on the D3 were good but just so, when the D800 came in the 3.5 was evidently lacking resolution.

Nikon charged $450, which seemed steep for cleaning and I thought they would replace a bad element. Well, they did not, they only cleaned it. Under sunlight it looks perfectly clean with all coatings fine. Under my LED torch you can still see the lightest trace of the haze in one single surface. Nikon listed as a fungus repair (it did come from florida) Disappointed they charged so much for what was essentially cleaning. When I sent my 8mm 2.8 they only charged $80, and there were dead animals in it.

The good news is that the lens is performing now. The 3.5 cannot be used at 3.5, this is true for all of the 3.5s, both can be used at 5.6. they hit their stride at F8 and F11.

The 5.6 is sharper in the center, the 3.5 is sharper in the edges. Both are very sensitive to where you focus them and focusing too close will ruin most of the image, even as your focal point is sharp. The word bokeh does not exist in their world. They have a lot of curvature or field and you need to know how to place the curvature of field onto your subject to get the best image.

These lenses are now going for well over $1000 and I would not recommend them, unless you are a strong collector as well as user.

These lenses also flare and produce ghost with gusto. They are not in the same league as the 16mm 3.5, or the 20s.

Having said that, you can produce mighty fine images with them.

Here are the lenses, a sample pretty image with the 15mm 5.6, and two full resolution samples at f11 from both, go to flicker for full res if you have time to waste like me

nikon 15mms by Rafael CA, on Flickr

san juan capistrano 15mm qdc ai f5.6 at 11 nikon nikkor D3 9 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 at f11 d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 5.6 at f11 D800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Added this full res sample of the 3.5 at f/8 with the sun in the frame.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 at f8 sun in frame d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 02:22 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 05:09 AM
lucdeschepper
• •
p.2976 #20 · p.2976 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

...Show more

Kevin, sorry to read about your physical problems. I'm more or less in the same boat due to a knee injury I endured in my early twenties. I'm fify-five now and for some years it's difficult to walk around with my dslr kit. That's the reason I shoot mainly with my lightweight Fuji mirrorless cameras X100 and X20. Perhaps that's also an alternative for you? Or perhaps even better an Olympus OM-D which has excellent built-in stabilisation? I wish you all the best coping with your neck and back issues!

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password