Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2974      
       2976              4069       4070       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2975 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ronny and Scott.

Ray, rich colours with the 16/3.5;
James, lovely cat captures;
Ronny, each new flower from you is a delightful vision;
Curtis, congrats on the new lens and loved the debut set

A detail of central shot of the last sequence:
Rufous-bellied Thrush eating fruits

Rufous-bellied Thrush eating fruits by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 800mm f/5.6 ais ED + tripod, ISO 1250, f/5.6 at 1/160s, ~5% cropped. Cloudy day, the high ISO was needed.
Exif showing a 400mm is wrong, because I forgot to change the lens on the non-CPU menu of the camera.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2975 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Ron, Ronny, Jose and Scott
Curtis it looks like you have discovered another Nikkor beauty. Great captures especially the Bee
Jose great shot of the thrush, so sharp

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2975 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, congrats to your 300/4.5 H! I'm glad it works well for you (except for the long minimum focusing distance, but I'm sure you'll get over this issue with some tubes soon). There are some "H's" over here, one example in very nice condition, but too expensive for occasional just-for-fun use (250 Euros) and 2 modest priced examples look to worn for my taste (battered Ai-lenses are okay for me, the classic pre-K-lenses should show some patina, but no scratches, so to speak).
But I'm not in a hurry and with a bit of luck I'll find one of these classic Nikkor's.

Jose, the trush (sequence and single shot) is captured in your typical, wonderful manner. I like your approach to show behavior and habitat of your "subjects" and not just the beauty.
Btw, thanks for your PM regarding the 200/4Q, but it's much less hassle for me to buy kinda common lenses over here in Europe (no custom fees or import tax if I buy within the EU).
Thanks for your comment on the green apples in B&W ;-) The grain was added in PP - SilverEfexPro offers excellent control over faked film-grain. Not only the grain-size can be adjusted over a really wide range, it's acutance is also adjustable (think supersharp "Agfa-Rodinal-grain" vs the soft grain of a slightly mis-focused enlargement).

Scott, thanks for your comment on the minigolf-shot!

Ronny, the middle shot of your last flower-set is absolutely outstanding, and your standard is sky-high already

James, the jumping kitten reminds me in it's hilariousness of an Elliot-Erwitt-classic.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2975 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A mixture between "urban landscaping" and "rust-o-graphy" from today. An old and abundant district-heating-pipe that caught my interest some years ago already.
Shot handheld with the PC 85/2.8D, framed a bit too tight (a bad habit) and with too much swing (or tilt). It was about 4 degrees here, about 2 degrees would have been enough to lay the plane of focus along the pipe. Should use the tripod + LiveView more often...

Unbenannt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D3s, PC 85/2.8D wide open

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2975 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, the shots of birds feeding you've been posting of late are jaw dropping good. I know this is your passion as an ornithologist but your skill with camera and lens combines your passion for birds and your passion for MF shooting. You contribute much to this thread. And to remember you arrived only a few months after we began. I guess we should consider you one of our founding members...

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2975 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It says a great deal about your love of photography Georg that with a kit of lenses required for your professional work, you indulge yourself and entertain us by shooting with MF gear. I understand how you'd limit the money you invest in these old lenses. And, yes, you're subject to VAT as well as import duties if you shop outside the EU. I complain if I have to pay sales tax of 8%...

I'm sure that you're aware of the venues where you can find used gear in Europe. I visited a shop in Delfthaven outside Rotterdam when visiting Rinie. She has also sent links to a couple of websites she's used. With patience I'm sure you'll find what you're seeking. I feel quite fortunate to have been as successful as I have in using E-Bay, but there are a great many lenses passing through that site. The key is to know the market well enough that one doesn't get sucked into over priced gear. That happened to me once early in the process, but I'm not likely to go there again.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:02 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2975 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Jose, the shots of birds feeding you've been posting of late are jaw dropping good. I know this is your passion as an ornithologist but your skill with camera and lens combines your passion for birds and your passion for MF shooting. You contribute much to this thread. And to remember you arrived only a few months after we began. I guess we should consider you one of our founding members...

I couldn't agree more! Jose, your images have always been a source of inspiration to me.

After my last vacation, I am going to be selling off a lot of my gear, starting with lenses. I will be posting them for sale here next payday (so I can pay for the ability) but if any of you are interested in anything in my kit shoot me a message. I know there are some newcomers here...

As to why. I spent a day with just my D7000 and my 50/1.8E (my lightest lens) and ended up with neck pain (using a VERY comfortable neck strap). A day with my 80-200/4.5 (PK13 in my pocket) landed me with neck and back issues and the need for meds. (5 minutes into my trek with the 135/2.8Q, I put it back into its bubble). I knew this day was coming, was hoping to hit 50 first...but this is my reality (I am 39). Too many injuries to my spine along with a defect and I can't take the weight anymore. I will be posting a few images from my vacation in the coming days, my only keepers were from early on in the day. After an hour or so, I was no longer stable and unless I was in the 1/2000+ shutter speed, I was blurry. I was able to try a monopod, but it was something else to carry...not really viable.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:09 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2975 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few from Colonial Williamsburg. Thanks for looking.
Scott

50 1.4 SC

28 2.8 ais

28 2.8 ais

50 1.4 SC

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.2975 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oh no, look who got an evening off and remembered he had some MF glass? I wish I had slept more than an hour last night they may have been better. I almost forgot how to MF these things! All with the 105MM F1.8 and of my favorite subject who after almost 30 days of being sick is back to being himself.

MJO_2594 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

MJO_2596 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

MJO_2601 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

MJO_2606 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

MJO_2613 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

Matt

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:19 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2975 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi Matt
Welcome back to the NMFAS thread. Glad you hung onto a MF lens.
Scott

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2975 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks folks for the comments on the 300 H. I'm aware when walking with this lens that it is a bit heavier than its more recent brethren, 1100 grams versus 800 since I don't have the tripod collar. It is doable, but frankly, I like the feel of the newer lens

Here are a few photos from my ramble downtown this afternoon. I stopped by Seawood Photo and asked that the lenses I put on consignment be returned to me. The owner exercised his option of paying me 60% of the value he'd ascribed to the lenses. Frankly, it was a mistake to take that route but then again, I don't spend any money there since I shop online, and I'm happy for him to make something out his dealings with me.

All shot wide open, hand held.

Roses in front of town hall.

This is a new wine bar. I assumed this was a family celebrating together. I was standing across the street.

This is another angle of the Indiana Jones statue.

I was able to catch one reasonably sharp photo of this cocky crow dancing along the top of the fence at the back of Imagination Park.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:39 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2975 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Thanks folks for the comments on the 300 H. I'm aware when walking with this lens that it is a bit heavier than its more recent brethren, 1100 grams versus 800 since I don't have the tripod collar. It is doable, but frankly, I like the feel of the newer lens

Here are a few photos from my ramble downtown this afternoon. I stopped by Seawood Photo and asked that the lenses I put on consignment be returned to me. The owner exercised his option of paying me 60% of the value he'd ascribed to the lenses. Frankly, it was a
...Show more

Nice series with the 300 Curtis. The strutting crow definitely has some attitude!

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:44 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2975 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I agree with Curtis. Jose, you take awesome bird photos. I'm always fascinated by how similar they look to some north American birds, and even the plants are novel to me. I shared the bird addiction, but even with AF lenses I rarely did as well as you do with manual focus glass.

CGrindahl wrote:

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:48 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2975 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, I'm sorry to hear of your health challenges. It is essential that we live within the limits of our capacity. Doing otherwise is a recipe for suffering. It seems the simple act of carrying a camera, even with the lightest lens, is more than your body can tolerate. That can be a difficult reality to accept, but such is life. It is a very foolish person who disregards the messages coming from his or her body. I'm glad you're listening. Whether photography will continue to be part of your life is a call only you can make. Perhaps you'll become one of those smart phone photographers or you'll find a point and shoot that will tickle your fancy. I have a friend whose damaged knees makes it difficult to get around, but he still takes pleasure in shooting with a small Panasonic that allows him to get up close and personal.

Good luck on your journey. Needless to say, you're always welcome to participate on this thread. We know that in your heart you are one of us....

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:50 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2975 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, I like how you captured the birds attitude. "Cocky" is so apt.

CGrindahl wrote:

Here are a few photos from my ramble downtown this afternoon. I stopped by Seawood Photo and asked that the lenses I put on consignment be returned to me. The owner exercised his option of paying me 60% of the value he'd ascribed to the lenses. Frankly, it was a
...Show more

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:52 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2975 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Matt for brining Brandon back to this thread. Your devotion to him is inspiring to us all. I'm so glad you found that lens in your camera bag. I know the journey with your son will continue to challenge you and your wife. It will be love that carries you through. Wonderful to see your work on the thread again.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:53 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2975 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Inspired by the old chess set Curtis showed us, I took some shots of mine, which I got almost 40 years ago. These are with the TC-16a with the 55mm f/1.2, tripod and remote release here. EXIF is all goofy because of the TC. This one was shot at f/11 I think, 6 seconds exposure

and a very different view at f/1.2, again with the TC-16a, which makes this a pretty nice fast portrait lens, but it was pretty dark so this image still required 1/4 sec of shutter

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:53 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2975 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
Curtis, I like how you captured the birds attitude. "Cocky" is so apt.

I'd like to say it was intentional James, but I was doing the best I could to get ONE photo in focus as this bird strutted along the fence top. This was dumb luck... but cocky is definitely the word to describe his antics.

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 01:55 AM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:55 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2975 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Something I'm very proud to get out here, that I helped record this year. Song is a favorite of mine, and also my husband's favorite song. The musicians are all local. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cABVKIPk_u0&hd=1

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.2975 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis I love that wine shot. Great timing and focus through the glass. From such a distance that can be hard to do!

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:57 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password