1       2       3              2971      
       2973              5885       5886       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2972 #1 · p.2972 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
I like this one better. I've been playing with silverFX myself the past few days. I've found it's easier to get good contrast in without absolutely crushing the blacks. And that's the reason I like this one more, I can see detail in the framing trees on the left and right. In the original conversion, I felt as though they were too dark and it made me claustrophobic.

On the flip side, I'd have burned everything else in and leave only the sliver of silver (alliteration!) flashing in the river as the main attention-grabber. Heh, we're really a diverse group in here

Aug 01, 2013 at 02:44 PM
adh67
• • •
p.2972 #2 · p.2972 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

I downloaded the silver ex software to try it out. It certainly has many sliders and adjustment options. Following a tutorial I re-edited my B&W. My first try with this software. Any better?

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v102/p1796131287-5.jpg

I really like this one, not bad for a first try.

Bert

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:49 PM
adh67
• • •
p.2972 #3 · p.2972 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Another species eating fruits of Callicarpa reevesii:

Palm Tanager, under light rain

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5452/9405920401_5eb82794dc_b.jpg
Palm Tanager eating Callicarpa reevesii fruits under light rain by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 ais EDIF + tripod, ISO 800, f/8 at 1/400s; ~ 40% crop.
Even under rain these guys need to eat

Your Bird shots are excellent ! The rain drops give it a little extra.

Bert

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:52 PM
adh67
• • •
p.2972 #4 · p.2972 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yesterday evening my wife and I went to see a football (soccer) game in San Francisco between Italian side Juventus and Engilsh side Everton. It was a good game and I had brought along the 200mm F4 Ai and was able to get some pics from the stand. I had to crop a little bit to get better framing, but was happy with the results.

Bert

Bert de Haan

Bert de Haan

Bert de Haan

Aug 01, 2013 at 04:08 PM
adh67
• • •
p.2972 #5 · p.2972 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

These two were taken with the 200mm f4 Ai during the day in SF yesterday. The first one from my office window (a dirty window) and the second during our walk from my office to the SF Giants Stadium (AT&T Park) where the game was held.

Bert

Bert de Haan

Bert de Haan

Aug 01, 2013 at 04:13 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2972 #6 · p.2972 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
SilverFX does indeed have a lot of sliders, etc. I guess once you are proficient with it, it becomes second nature. For me, I just use a modified workflow in Photoshop:

1. shoot 2 or 3 raw files and bracket via exposure comp, shutter speed, etc.
2. open in Photoshop as layers in a single file
3. use hue saturation layer adjustment to take all of the saturation out, rendering a BW file, and flatten each layer
4. auto align layers, placing the lighter layer on the bottom
5. use masks, or the eraser to let the light layer bleed through (up) to the
...Show more

I'm glad this works for you, but it sounds like way too much work. For me at least. I rarely spend more than 5 mins editing a single photo, though spot removals can take some time.

Aug 01, 2013 at 04:17 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.2972 #7 · p.2972 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
I'm glad this works for you, but it sounds like way too much work. For me at least. I rarely spend more than 5 mins editing a single photo, though spot removals can take some time.

Same for me. I try to avoid using PP as much as I can. I only use it for straightening and some quick exposure or WB adjustment. Not even sharpening for me either. I spend enough time on computers for my daily full-time work

Aug 01, 2013 at 04:44 PM
mp356
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2972 #8 · p.2972 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Yes, a LOT better. The first one you lost a lot of detail in the shadows, especially in the trees in the foreground. There's also a lot more overall tonal range. I'd say very good job on your first image with SEP. I also like the trees in your last set, very nice light coming in.

+1 Ray. First the D600, then the tripod, and now SEP. What next Ray?

Aug 01, 2013 at 04:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2972 #9 · p.2972 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm with you Dylan, both in terms of shooting and in terms of processing. I like using Lightroom in large measure because I can so readily make adjustments on both the level of the photo and when necessary portions of the image with the adjustment brush. I did some layer work last evening on a photo Rinie took with Nikki and was happy to have the ability to do so in Photoshop, but that is much too labor intensive for me. Taking multiple images at different settings doesn't work quite so well when shooting without a tripod either. I'm typically moving too fast to consider adding a tripod to the mix. Of course, Ray's recent work with his new tripod does make me think about it for some of the shooting I do.

Definitely different strokes.

Aug 01, 2013 at 04:54 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2972 #10 · p.2972 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm with you Dylan, both in terms of shooting and in terms of processing. I like using Lightroom in large measure because I can so readily make adjustments on both the level of the photo and when necessary portions of the image with the adjustment brush. I did some layer work last evening on a photo Rinie took with Nikki and was happy to have the ability to do so in Photoshop, but that is much too labor intensive for me. Taking multiple images at different settings doesn't work quite so well when shooting without a tripod either. I'm typically
...Show more

I mean, I get it. Some shots require a bit more work in terms of PP. I have at times spent a couple hours on a photo. It is not fun for me, and in the end I stopped enjoying those photographs for what they are. When I look at them now, all I can see is the PP effort.

For the vast majority of my photos, spending more than 5 minutes tweaking them will not increase their appeal. They either had something worthwhile in them to begin with or they didn't. The way I shoot, and the subject matter I choose, I don't need layers to get the value out of them.

As for editing the way that I do, I quite enjoy it.

Different strokes indeed.

Aug 01, 2013 at 05:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DTOB
• • •
p.2972 #11 · p.2972 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And as the discussion has been dealing with PP quite a bit lately, I think it would be interesting if we were to post up a completely RAW file, before showing our finished work, and have others have a go at editing it the way THEY see it. Once a few people have submitted, then we could post our own finished version to see how they stack up.

Any interest?

Aug 01, 2013 at 05:12 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2972 #12 · p.2972 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

stedge wrote:
oh, and another cheap option would be a 50-135 ais 3.5 (you could grab for 130 bucks give or take), and then one wide lens (your 14 or 20) or a wider zoom like a 28-50 3.5 ais. You are done, and all MF. If you want longer add the third lens (your 70-300 or a 180, for example).

So many options, and many will work.

I am not going to buy any lenses for this - it's not like I don't already have enough to choose from .

In 2010 I did this type of hike with a D90 body carrying the 18-55VR and 55-200VR and used them about 75/25%, stitched a bit here and there, but never got it to work well in the dark, or with long exposures, since I left the tripod at home. Still, most of the time I was quite happy not to have all that extra weight in my pack.

Taking the two zooms and nothing else will definitely do the job. Any change to that AF kit has to make up for the extra weight with added capabilities (and with that I mean more than being able to post to this thread ).

The 14mm is pretty unique with the extreme field of view and adds night skies at short shutter times none of the other wide lenses I own can muster. It also is sharper than any Nikkor I own.

The 20mm would be a little wider than the 24-85 and more general purpose than the 14mm, but no night skies with that thing - the 24-85 is sharper than the 20mm wide open.

55mm mostly adds low DOF, but how often do you use that shooting grand landscapes in the High Sierra? the f/1.2 to make up for low light is not really that useful compared to the VR and AF in the zoom. Still, if I were to use the 20 and the 55 instead of the 24-85mm, I'd only add half a pound. There's the loss of VR, but not much else, especially if I bring the 70-300mm on top of the MF lenses. Not using zooms and VR may even save me battery power (can anyone confirm that?)

The longer MF lenses really don't offer anything over the 70-300mm than saving a few ounces, but removing the long range. When the first bear walks across the trail I'll regret not having a 300mm... so 105 and 135mm will not go on the hike.

The final decision will come Monday afternoon when I am putting the full pack on my back to head out.

Edited on Aug 01, 2013 at 05:54 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2013 at 05:17 PM
stedge
• • •
p.2972 #13 · p.2972 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yeah, you're right.

Wish I could go on a hike like that. Have a grand time and look forward to your photos.

Aug 01, 2013 at 05:25 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2972 #14 · p.2972 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, wow, love the "jungle-shot"! It works great in B&W and your Silver-Efex-conversion looks very good.

Many great contributions, will look deeper onto the last few dozen pages later.

Here's another image from the southern part of South Sweden, amazing to my eyes how closes to the sea the houses were built:

no SEP on board unfortunately, in-camera-conversion, 180/2.8ED + D3s

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:11 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2972 #15 · p.2972 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

I downloaded the silver ex software to try it out. It certainly has many sliders and adjustment options. Following a tutorial I re-edited my B&W. My first try with this software. Any better?

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v102/p1796131287-5.jpg

Ray, I like how this came out also. Only thing I might have done is after playing in Silver effects, I might have used the dodge tool and lightened up the water just a tad to bring the eyes there. Otherwise, great work.

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:16 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2972 #16 · p.2972 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
And as the discussion has been dealing with PP quite a bit lately, I think it would be interesting if we were to post up a completely RAW file, before showing our finished work, and have others have a go at editing it the way THEY see it. Once a few people have submitted, then we could post our own finished version to see how they stack up.

Any interest?

I am game! I went ahead and stayed with CS5.5 for now and I am going to download the trial of Lightroom and give it a whirl.

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.2972 #17 · p.2972 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanx for your encouragement MDoc

Was back on the street again ..... it's oh so hot and humid for the UK

Anyway was looking for love .... and found some

The first guy obviously loves his bike more that his girl. 180mm f4 ISO 640 1/640th

The second shot ..... well what can you say ??

Ain't love blind ..... or is it grand !!

Again with the 180mm @ f4 ISO640 1/1600th

Steve

Stokesey 2013

I so love my bike !!

Stokesey 2013

Love is blind !!

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:25 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2972 #18 · p.2972 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

I am game! I went ahead and stayed with CS5.5 for now and I am going to download the trial of Lightroom and give it a whirl.

be prepared for a shock in performance. At least on computers with a decent video card, CS5.5 and CS6 are way faster than any version of Llightroom. It is one way Adobe makes sure they sell some CS or now CC licenses by not using the GPU in lightroom.

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:42 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2972 #19 · p.2972 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
be prepared for a shock in performance. At least on computers with a decent video card, CS5.5 and CS6 are way faster than any version of Llightroom. It is one way Adobe makes sure they sell some CS or now CC licenses by not using the GPU in lightroom.

I have absolutely no issues with any version of LR or it's performance on my machine. Even my poor old dual core laptop with 4gb of ram can get the job done, albeit in a slower fashion.

What is it that you do in LR that is so taxing?

*edit* for reference, I should mention that my current desktop is a hexacore i7 overclocked to 4.2ghz, 12gb ram, GTX 560ti for video and a few SSD's, one of which holds my OS and my LR catalogue.

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:50 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2972 #20 · p.2972 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
I have absolutely no issues with any version of LR or it's performance on my machine. Even my poor old dual core laptop with 4gb of ram can get the job done, albeit in a slower fashion.

What is it that you do in LR that is so taxing?

*edit* for reference, I should mention that my current desktop is a hexacore i7 overclocked to 4.2ghz, 12gb ram, GTX 560ti for video and a few SSD's, one of which holds my OS and my LR catalogue.

I don't think Kevin has an overlclocked hexacore i7 I don't even know what a hexacore is and I work with high end CPUs at work all day long

Try for example a 400+ pixel adjustment brush in CS6 and then in lightroom. My system is slower than yours and will do these things in realtime in CS6, while in LR it is completely unusable. TheGTX470 makes all the difference in CS6, as I see rarely more than 30% CPU on my old i7 860 (wth SSDs), while in Lightroom it's pegged doing these things, cutting out the audio in a music player even, 12GB RAM win7 enterprise edition. A friend has a dual core computer and he was unable to use LR at all, while CS6 works fine for him using the built in Intel HD video GPU. Getting CS6 was cheaper for him than to build a faster computer (we buy CS6 at academic price, so as usual, mileage may vary, but for me it's a $50 difference between CS6 and LR)

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password