kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2970 #1 · p.2970 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Another species eating fruits of Callicarpa reevesii:

Palm Tanager, under light rain

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5452/9405920401_5eb82794dc_b.jpg
Palm Tanager eating Callicarpa reevesii fruits under light rain by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 ais EDIF + tripod, ISO 800, f/8 at 1/400s; ~ 40% crop.
Even under rain these guys need to eat

Outstanding. I love how the rain shows in the picture. I love it!

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:38 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2970 #2 · p.2970 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Please excuse me if I've posted this one before, but I don't believe I have.

105/2.5:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8454/8061200456_25da1b31b1_o.jpg

Powerful image... Here and in other areas, I have seen quite a few stirring and powerful images lately. Lots of human condition stuff. Fine work, very fine.

What I find interesting is that not only is he wearing what look like near new fatigues that are probably 10 years old (from about the time of the second Gulf war, the military switched to the urban camo pattern) and he is wearing what looks like an even older pair of combat boots. The trench he is wearing is styled after the wool trench coats used in the European theater after WWII and Korea. Makes me almost wonder if this guy is a veteran.

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:50 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2970 #3 · p.2970 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey wrote:
Thanx Zichar and Oosty

A little humour makes the world go round a little easier I think.

This wish tree has some interesting messages from young people.

One says "MANNERS - Teach all your children manners and respect" by Lily

Another seems a little more materialistic, but "Every year Kids should get a Christmas Bonus from the Government (Probably around 100)" or about $160

Interesting what the worlds youth think about. And wish for.

I've heard about the wish of Curtis for a 500mm f4 and 200mm f2 so perhaps I should go put it on the tree for you Curtis.

Steve

Great photo Steve!

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:56 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2970 #4 · p.2970 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Please excuse me if I've posted this one before, but I don't believe I have.

105/2.5:

Love it Dylan

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:57 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2970 #5 · p.2970 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
I dont think Adobe will ever go CC only with Lightroom, but never say never. There is too much of a broad appeal for the product at the consumer level.

That said, the world of digital photography is changing, thanks mostly to the camera in your telephone. P&S cameras are in decline, and the numbers are not there for the mid/high range sub $1,000 cameras. If you can take a reasonably good photo/movie on your telephone and immediately share it with anyone in the world on the same small screen, why do you need to lug a camera around? And why
...Show more

I hate Photoshop, but agree completely with your assessment on how important it is. The one point I'd disagree with is that Ansel Adams did not correct problems in the dark room. Rather he considered printing images an integral part of photography, equally as important as creating the negative. He used printing the images (photoshop in his day) to complete his artistic vision.

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:59 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2970 #6 · p.2970 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
I dont think Adobe will ever go CC only with Lightroom, but never say never. There is too much of a broad appeal for the product at the consumer level.

That said, the world of digital photography is changing, thanks mostly to the camera in your telephone. P&S cameras are in decline, and the numbers are not there for the mid/high range sub $1,000 cameras. If you can take a reasonably good photo/movie on your telephone and immediately share it with anyone in the world on the same small screen, why do you need to lug a camera around? And why
...Show more
rattymouse wrote:
I hate Photoshop, but agree completely with your assessment on how important it is. The one point I'd disagree with is that Ansel Adams did not correct problems in the dark room. Rather he considered printing images an integral part of photography, equally as important as creating the negative. He used printing the images (photoshop in his day) to complete his artistic vision.

RM, you're assessment on AA is exactly right. And that's why I LOVE to do post work. EVERY image I take has some editing done to it.

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:02 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2970 #7 · p.2970 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I left my full time job when I was 47... I haven't worked at any job full-time since then. I'll never be rich, but then MF lenses are pretty cheap...

Wow.....semi retired at 47? That's awesome. I'm guessing you don't have any kids....

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:03 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2970 #8 · p.2970 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks everyone, and I'm glad to be able to share images with such a thoughtful group.

I've wanted to ask, do you find the white borders at the top and bottom of my film shots to be a distraction at all? I should be cropping that, I've just always been too lazy.

Edited on Jul 31, 2013 at 09:18 PM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:14 PM
mp356
• • • • •
p.2970 #9 · p.2970 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
We're not in Nancy anymore Toto! Love it!

Very mooooooving! +1 Philippe.

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:17 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2970 #10 · p.2970 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Too funny Scott

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • • •
p.2970 #11 · p.2970 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Been too busy to follow the thread over the last few days. Great stuff as usual, too much to comment on. I am off the grid for a month or so, hiking and shooting pictures to post in fall.

I still need to decide what lenses to bring (weight issue - have to carry them for about 400 miles). Very difficult to go with MF Nikkors when you have sharp plastic zooms that cover a huge range in one sweep. good chance I won't bring any vintage glass Why did they have to build them so well?

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:27 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2970 #12 · p.2970 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Thanks everyone, and I'm glad to be able to share images with such a thoughtful group.

I've wanted to ask, do you find the white borders at the top and bottom of my film shots to be a distraction at all? I should be cropping that, I've just always been too lazy.

digital users tend to pay money for filters and plugins to get these cool margins, so keep them. They'll think you bought a fancy film look border plugin

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:28 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2970 #13 · p.2970 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Honeysuckle and some ants for a mixture of plants and insects. 28 3.5 AI.. I call this the poor mans 28 2.8

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:35 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2970 #14 · p.2970 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
Been too busy to follow the thread over the last few days. Great stuff as usual, too much to comment on. I am off the grid for a month or so, hiking and shooting pictures to post in fall.

I still need to decide what lenses to bring (weight issue - have to carry them for about 400 miles). Very difficult to go with MF Nikkors when you have sharp plastic zooms that cover a huge range in one sweep. good chance I won't bring any vintage glass Why did they have to build them so well?

I think you should take one MF lens, something small like a 28/2.8....

rankamateur wrote:
Honeysuckle and some ants for a mixture of plants and insects. 28 3.5 AI.. I call this the poor mans 28 2.8

I like my 28/3.5 more than I do my 28/2.8. I love the look it renders (like your example) over the faster/newer/better 2.8.

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:44 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2970 #15 · p.2970 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I think you should take one MF lens, something small like a 28/2.8....

the 20mmf/3.5 has a good chance to make the cut, but that challenges the 14mm Rokinon I want to use for stars... can't bring both. 55mm f/1.2 is just too heavy, the 24mm f/2.8 makes no sense when I bring a 24-85mm VR - and everything over 70mm is covered by the 70-300mm VR unless I don't bring that and limit myself to a 105mm.

there is a chance I will not take any AF glass and go with 20mm, 55mm and 105mm instead, plus maybe the 14mm, but I have to put that on a scale to see if that borders on insanity or is a viable alternative.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:33 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2970 #16 · p.2970 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Wow.....semi retired at 47? That's awesome. I'm guessing you don't have any kids....

Hit the nail on the head Tom. I have great respect for those who take their responsibilities as parents seriously. I was complimenting the neighbor whose roses have often graced this thread, saying he must have quite a nut to crack each month with two teenagers, three cars and a mortgage in San Anselmo. He appreciated the acknowledgement and spoke of how hard he has worked for years to keep the ship afloat. He has a beautiful home, a wonderful wife and what appear to be two very healthy children whom I've seen grow up. All of that has required a great deal of work. I'd assumed he was clipping coupons from his stock portfolio, one of the many folks drawn to this beautiful place who have trust funds. I'd discovered awhile back that he is an appraiser of commercial property who spends ten hours a day in a small office he built behind his home.

You're giving your kids an amazing experience, even as John does with his two girls. My hat is off to all the parents on this thread. Having kids didn't make sense to me until I was too old to seriously contemplate doing something about it. I have to live vicariously through other folk's children.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2970 #17 · p.2970 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:

A 50 f/1.8 AI-s weighs a few ounces Peter. ONE MF lens means you can post on this thread. Perhaps you can borrow John's 45 that weighs 120 grams. You're not going to do better than that weight wise and from we've seen of his work, it is a stellar lens. Then you can post something more than a link on this thread...

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:04 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2970 #18 · p.2970 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you all for all of the comments on the photos. Here's a couple more from our river excursion. The tree in the first shot was just crazy looking. No filters used here just my tripod

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:28 AM
designdog
• •
p.2970 #19 · p.2970 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just one of hundreds of examples AA at work.

In a letter to Paul Strand dated January 8, 1944, Adams provides information about toning: "I am no chemist, and can only give you empirical suggestions. But here is what I have found in practical work:
1. Gold Chloride gives a bluish cast to prints, especially Bromide papers. Without other agents the tone is of little consequence.
2. Proprietary toners - such as Agfa Flemish (old type) and Barstone toners - contain the word "gold" on their labels. But that relates more to effect than content. The toning agent may be gold, selenium, or other metals. The new Agfa Flemish toner - Selenium type - gives a warmer tone than the old type.
3. I know of no tones - with the possible exception of Tellurium - that will tone Bromide papers directly. Bromides are toned by the bleach-redevelopment process.
4. I work on this basis with the new Flemish Toner - (with Chloride or Chlor-bromide papers)
A. I develop in the coldest-bluest developer I know - Agfa 103, with just a trace of Bromide (just enough to prevent fog in 45-60 second development).
If I add a small amount - say 1 gram per 8 ounces of Stock solution of Potassium Solphocyanite [Sulphocyanide] I seem to lose what green remains.
B. I fix in a hypo-Metabisulphite bath, followed by five minutes in a plain hypo bath.
C. I wash for hours. Apparently, if the fixing bath is old, and if washing is not very complete, there remains enough residual silver in the emulsion to take the toning and produce yellowish whites.
D. The results are pretty good, but often there will be a disappointing split-tone effect - where the toner has taken hold only on the deepest values of the print, leaving the light middle tones a puny blue-green!
E. The Brady prints you saw were on Azo O, or Kodabromide 1, and toned in Agfa Flemish tonoer Old type.
Have you tried printing on Kodabromide with an amber or weak white globe? Try a blue-cold developer, and the new Selenium toner, diluted at least 1 to 5. Fix and wash as above. Perhaps a paper with a "natural" base color will give a richer effect....The trouble with the ordinary conception of toning is that the tone must be almost egg-yolk brown or else the print is considered to be black and white!....P.S. Another suggestion: if you want a neutral tone to begin with, I advise you to use Agfa 120 formula - just Metol - with a minimum amount of Bromide.
This will mean that, for standard contrast from any given negative, you should use a paper of one contrast higher than you would use with other developers. Print for the black, give full development, then if the whites are still too blank, immerse in an Agfa 103 or 125 developer; this will pull them down with only a slight effect on the blacks. It's a swell control."[2]

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:46 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2970 #20 · p.2970 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
A 50 f/1.8 AI-s weighs a few ounces Peter. ONE MF lens means you can post on this thread. Perhaps you can borrow John's 45 that weighs 120 grams. You're not going to do better than that weight wise and from we've seen of his work, it is a stellar lens. Then you can post something more than a link on this thread...

here are the real world numbers, from the digital scale, caps attached, some lenses have a filter on them. Tell me what you'd take... I like to shoot extremes, but know that most of the time it'll be somewhere in the range the 24-85 can cover.

14mm f/2.8 570.0g (Rokinon - great for night skies and anything extreme)
20mm f/3.5 253.8g (proven lens, compact, wide enough, not good at night)
24mm f/2.8 286.8g (don't really use it much, rather carry the zoom)
50mm f/1.8 234.4g (would hate this lens knowing I could have brought the f/1.2)
55mm f/1.2 440.7g (love the rendering, but not really relevant for most shots up there)
85mm f/1.4 550.0g (Rokinon - tack sharp, had to focus, not that much better than the zoom)
105mm f/2.5 445.8g (the only long MF I would consider as an alternate to the long zoom)
135mm f/2.8 625.0g (too much extra weight over the 105)
300mm f/4.5 1095g (incl tripod collar - not gonna happen with a lighter 70-300 VR available)
600mm f/4.0 6180g (not gonna happen)

the AF team
24-85mm VR 486.1g - great all around lens
70-300mm VR 790.0g - pretty big and heavy for a lens with infrequent use on the trip

taking both AF lenses means 1276g

taking 20, 50 f/1.8 and 105 is 933g, but the range is limited at the long end, no VR, and I want the f/1.2 if I go with a 50

one set of lenses I am contemplating is
14mm, 55mm f/1.2, 105mm - total 1456.8g or
14mm, 24-85mm, 55mm 1497g

D600 with grip and one battery, tripod plate attached - 1205g,
D600 no grip, no plate 885g, but when my three batteries are dead, I am screwed. The grip allows AA batteries to power the body when the EN-EL's are dead. I could bring a charger, but there are few opportunities to plug in and when there we don't have time to wait through three full charges.

Benro carbon tripod with ball head and arca clamp - 1220g - no head and clamp is pointless as it removes the easy leveling. Without that I can just as well use a rock pile as tripod.

My son is no help - he saw I was at 35 pounds base pack weight including 8 pounds for the camera gear and went "didn't you carry 55 a few years ago?" Yeah, but not with a 20+ mile per day schedule and 8 days of food, which still go on top of that weight. I want to keep things under 50 pounds on the worst days (those with the most food in the bag)

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:23 AM
1       2       3              2969      
       2971              5886       5887       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2969      
       2971              5886       5887       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password