Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2969      
       2971              4068       4069       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2970 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I offered to give a chess set that has been sitting in my closet for over twenty years to the son of a good friend. I took a few photos to give them an idea of what I was offering. It is actually a very beautiful set... This was shot with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:28 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2970 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I offered to give a chess set that has been sitting in my closet for over twenty years to the son of a good friend. I took a few photos to give them an idea of what I was offering. It is actually a very beautiful set... This was shot with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m7nvNTbhjUY/Uck1iAH99GI/AAAAAAAAVYY/yJ2bGAQLgVA/s1200/50.1.2.ChessPieces.jpg

That is a beautiful set. I have a few sets, trying to find a large board to accommodate the pieces my father carved when he was a teenager.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:45 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2970 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm impressed Kevin. These, of course, are the classic Staunton pieces which are beautifully turned and carved. Carving individual pieces seems like a very challenging task. The board is a bit less than 20 inches square. It comes from the Philippines. I don't recall the origin of the chess pieces, but they are definitely a joy to hold and use. The king is about four and a half inches high. I'm just happy that they will be passed along to a young person who will get years of pleasure from using the sent.

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:12 AM
Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2970 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It's a beautiful set ... but I'm sure they have an app for that!

Any chance you could get a close-up with tubes? Looks really smooth, wonderful craftsmanship

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:20 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2970 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It is long gone Chin. I'm having a bit of remorse over giving the set away but since I haven't used it in over twenty years odds are the young man to whom I gave it will put it to better use... as least I hope so.

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2970 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dogs. Playful fun when awake. Photo opportunities when asleep.

50 1.2 AIS at f/2.8

keep it behind the line by Zichar, on Flickr

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:47 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2970 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mustang - The Rebel, at the World War 2 show in Reading, Pennsylvania, earlier in June.

10.5cm 2.5 lens, f/8

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:53 AM
Kry27
• •
p.2970 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you all for the comments about the fish eye glacier pictures.

Leigthon:
leighton w wrote:
Roland, I like the set with the glaciers. Have you ever seen Chasing the Ice, with photographer James Balog?

No. Not... yet

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:14 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2970 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One more for the morning - "Fifi" takes off at the Reading WW2 show on June 8th.

300 ED AIS 4.5, at f/5.6 and shutter speed kept at 1/400 to try and preserve Fifi's prop blur.

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:23 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2970 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 25-50 f/4 AI-s and 50-135 AI-s make for a nice pairing. Definitely find a copy that has a nice tight zoom ring. I finally found a copy that doesn't have the sloppy ring, so now I've got two 50-135's....

Mescalamba wrote:
Hi guys,

any advice on "basic" MF Nikkor zoom? Some good and "cheap"? I noticed 28-85 for reasonable price (somewhere around 300 USD).

I want it cause now I have Nikon F mount camera, but theres probability of using Canon EOS and MF Nikkors works on both. (like my C/Y lens)

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2970 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, the only thing I'd do is level out the building in the background, gives the feeling of the plane rolling downhill otherwise I went up in a Huey on Sunday, last ride of the day, and Fifi was still on the ground and I thought I'd get an opportunity to get a shot of her from the air. While waiting to board, the engines started up and off she went for the last passenger flight of the day. I only took one camera and lens with me on the flight, an AF lens.

saph wrote:
One more for the morning - "Fifi" takes off at the Reading WW2 show on June 8th.

300 ED AIS 4.5, at f/5.6 and shutter speed kept at 1/400 to try and preserve Fifi's prop blur.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/sa_maryland_fotofun/ReadingWW2Show2013/FifiTakeOff_zps5245b038.jpg

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:43 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2970 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mescalamba wrote:
Hi guys,

any advice on "basic" MF Nikkor zoom? Some good and "cheap"? I noticed 28-85 for reasonable price (somewhere around 300 USD).

I want it cause now I have Nikon F mount camera, but theres probability of using Canon EOS and MF Nikkors works on both. (like my C/Y lens)

leighton w wrote:
My favorite Nikkor zoom is the 50-135mm f3.5 AI-s. You can usually pick one up from anywhere between 150 to 300 bucks. Watch out for the condition, the zoom/focus rings can get very loose.

Check-out my flickr set for this lens. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEWXxSY

CGrindahl wrote:
That is great Leighton... grouping photos by lens used. What a great resource when we're talking about lenses. I think you're setting the price a bit high but doubtless if one has to have a focus ring that stands up by itself, they will pay a premium IF they can find one at all.

Regardless, you know I'm a big fan of this lens as well. I was early to the party so I bought a very clean copy WITH lens creep for $95... Mmm, good...

Yea, that may be a tad high, but I was quoting lenses in EX condition from KEH.

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:44 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2970 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mescalamba wrote:
Hi guys,

leighton w wrote:
My favorite Nikkor zoom is the 50-135mm f3.5 AI-s. You can usually pick one up from anywhere between 150 to 300 bucks. Watch out for the condition, the zoom/focus rings can get very loose.

Check-out my flickr set for this lens. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEWXxSY

Mescalamba wrote:
Very nice pics. I noticed this lens some time ago, tho I think someone was faster then me and grabbed it. I should say that I have APS-C so 50mm as start is tiny bit long. Something starting at 28 or 35 would be better probably..

Tokina AT-X 35-70/2,8 found this one.. worth something? I know its not Nikon.

I had the 28-50 f3.5 AI-s (sold it to Reagan) and it's a VERY nice lens. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it didn't focus close enough for me at the wide end. That's why I went with the 28mm f2.8 AI-s (bought from Reagan) .
As for the Tokina, I'm not sure. But I've read great things about the Tamron 28-75 f2.8

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:50 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2970 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67 wrote:
The last two days my DSL line was out of order, today att&t finally fixed it so I am playing catch up. Here are a few more from the Cape Cod trip, and one from our front yard on Sunday morning
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/20/828420.jpg
Bert

I really like this set, especially the second one with the carpenter. Don't you just hate it when the internet goes down?!

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:53 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2970 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some amazing images the last couple of days. Been off the boil for a while - must be the winter although it's been very mild so far.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2970 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Finally got out today and heard this little bird calling. I played the call on my I Phone and he popped out to take a look. The second shot is about life size taken with the 300 4.5 ED IF

Bar Throated Apalis

NIKON D200    300mm    f/8.0    1/250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D200    300mm    f/8.0    1/250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM
StonePhotog
• •
p.2970 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Bert, I love the Cape Cod shots. Such a beautiful area.

Samy, nice airshow shots. And did I notice some shots from Fells Point a few pages back? Very nice! Did you happen to see the show that's currently playing at the Vagabond? My neighbor is the younger blond lady playing one of the leads. Small world!

Peter, great Apalis pics. Those are right up my alley as far as small bird photography is concerned.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM
designdog
• •
p.2970 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two subjects:

First, I can attest that the 25-50 4 and 50-135 3.5 make a perfect combination - for well lit photography. They are perhaps not the sharpest lenses out there, but they both have that 3D effect, due, I think to excellent color rendition. Add a 50 1.2 and you have a complete kit.

Second, this tube stuff is killing me! Curtis and Ronny, I don't know how you do it! I got set up with the 135 2 AI-s and the Vivitar 31 tube, got to about 3 feet from the subject - where I could focus "left and right" - but what a chore! The subject, an innocent flower whose species only my wife knows, drifted in and out of focus, possibly due to a vagrant breeze. The focus ring on the 135 is not the most responsive. Finally, what was in focus was but a small part of the flower, which held no interest for the viewer.

In frustration, and I am sure to the horror of members of this forum, I slapped on the 105 2.8VR micro, and had a much easier time of it. However the result was nothing artistic, to be sure.

I think I need to select a subject that is smaller, and spent a lot of time with it. Here is an example of my folly.

Jun 25, 2013 at 01:49 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2970 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yes, Dave, shooting with tubes is both frustrating and rewarding. I learned early on that turning the focusing ring while shooting with tubes is not the easiest way to gain focus. What I do is find that position in relation to my subject that gets me close enough that when I gently rock back and forth, the image goes in and out of focus. And remember that the focal plane when shooting with tubes is much narrowed, so stopping down when shooting with a fast lens is a smart thing to do. Two of my favorite lenses for tubes with a maximum aperture of f/4.5 work fine wide open. Fast lenses I stop down unless I'm feeling wild and crazy.

You might want to check out the other thread I started that resides in the Macro World forum. It is titled Shooting with Tubes. You'll find quite a few of the folks hanging out on this thread posting images. I added an introduction that again reviews how best to use tubes. And there are dozens of remarkable images posted to inspire you.

Yes, you need a steady hand but most of all you need practice. And you shouldn't feel that an AF lens solves all problems when doing close work simply because most folks using those lenses also use tubes and come up with the same challenges.

Here's an old shot taken with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with 68mm worth of tubes attached. Although it was a bright day I had to shoot manual mode to keep the shutter speed higher than the focal length. It was wide open.

Keep shooting and remember to stop down a bit, keep your shutter speed up and try rocking gently back and forth. You may need to rely on what you see in the viewfinder rather than the green dot and you definitely will need to take a few photos. All in a days play...

You might also ponder your shooting technique if you're not getting sharp results with those two zoom lenses. At the least the copies I own are wonderfully sharp wide open. I was pretty amazed when i bought them at how well they perform.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2970 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very sweet shots Peter with the lens that does everything well in a package that is easy to handle. Fine work.

I assume "off the boil" is a colloquialism for not feeling very well. It makes me think of England and I imagine the term is associated with heating water for tea. It is a wonderful term but likely hard to understand for someone unfamiliar with the importance of tea in parts of the world. Hope you get back on the boil Peter... And remember, you are on your way to Spring as surely as we're on our way to Autumn.

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password