FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2968      
       2970              5891       5892       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2969 #1 · p.2969 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Steve, great street shots. Keep'em coming!

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2969 #2 · p.2969 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Haha lovely images Steve, and the captions are hilarious!

Absolutely agree - all very funny

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:34 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2969 #3 · p.2969 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

There were enclosed walkways at the second level laced throughout Minneapolis when I worked on one of the IBM computers for Cargill, the international grain handling firm. But that was so long ago Steve, you've likely only experienced the computers I worked on in a museum... They were 360 machines, one at 64k and the other at 128k. I shake my head when I look at my iMac with 16 gigabytes of RAM.

The walkways were nice, but one still had to go outside, chip the ice off the windshield and slide one's way back home where it might be necessary to shovel the driveway before parking... I always said that living in a climate like that requires an hour of preparation from putting on and taking off boots, to warming the car with a tank heater that was plugged in all night so the engine would turn over in the morning, to chipping ice and driving slowly on icy streets. I recall driving down a parkway and having my 1960 Pontiac Bonneville convertible slide out from control and do a 180 degree turn with me sliding backwards down the boulevard. Fortunately, I didn't hit anything and simply backed into a driveway so I could turn around. I don't miss that AT ALL!

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2969 #4 · p.2969 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
How well you know him Peter... Of course, our French companion is only slightly less susceptible to a pretty woman. Honestly, it is probably more a matter of degree when it comes to men's appreciation of beauty in women. I'm definitely susceptible to beauty, though often it moves me most when the beauty radiates from the heart. I've known a few physically beautiful women whose lives have been much troubled because they couldn't get beyond being an object of appeal to men. Actually, it saddens me to witness young girls playing to the attention by dressing and acting provocatively. Being
...Show more

Well, I'll never be the prettiest woman ................

(Tongue very firmly in cheek!)

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:39 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2969 #5 · p.2969 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

There are cows everywhere here ....

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.2969 #6 · p.2969 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanx Zichar and Oosty

A little humour makes the world go round a little easier I think.

This wish tree has some interesting messages from young people.

One says "MANNERS - Teach all your children manners and respect" by Lily

Another seems a little more materialistic, but "Every year Kids should get a Christmas Bonus from the Government (Probably around 100)" or about $160

Interesting what the worlds youth think about. And wish for.

I've heard about the wish of Curtis for a 500mm f4 and 200mm f2 so perhaps I should go put it on the tree for you Curtis.

Steve

Stokesey 2013

Be careful what you wish for .....

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:42 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2969 #7 · p.2969 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Didn't you know Peter that "bald is beautiful..."

And a quick wit goes a very long way...

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2969 #8 · p.2969 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The mexican fisherman reminded me of Somerset Maugham's wonderful story of the Verger. It's very short and here's the link

http://www.sinden.org/verger.html

Enjoy!

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2969 #9 · p.2969 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm afraid Steve that wishing seldom brings new lenses to my door, but I wouldn't send them away if they arrived...

I have about ten thousand dollars invested in lenses and either of those would cost a bit under and over 20% of that amount. Since the 180 f/2.8 AI-s is such a great lens, the added stop and 20mm of length for $1,500 seems an extravagance. The 500 is a stretch in another way since that lens would necessitate buying a tripod, which is something I've clearly resisted. Shooting long is very much a different beast from what I typically do with a camera. It might open some new horizons but I don't know that I'd be willing to spend $2,500 to find out. And again, with a 400mm lens I picked up at a bargain price, less than $400, the extra stop and 100mm seems an extravagance. I get my pleasure viewing other folks work with that beautiful lens.

Of course, we're about three weeks away from the third anniversary of this thread and for anyone who is vexed over what might be a suitable gift to the person who started the thread and nurtured it through its growing pains... you can give them a hint...

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:51 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2969 #10 · p.2969 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Here it is...

Ha ha, I see that you found it. This is the way I want to live my life!

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2969 #11 · p.2969 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
There are cows everywhere here ....
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/26/843526.jpg

We're not in Nancy anymore Toto! Love it!

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2969 #12 · p.2969 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Such fun here tonight!

Jose - another gorgeous capture.

Steve - more great colours

For those who love photo blogs have a look at blipfoto.com - there are some amazing pics there with everything from Iphones to top of the range kit.Start at Farmfresh ( http://www.blipfoto.com/farmfresh ) - I met the lady yesterday and she was visiting Ingrid. I'm blown away by her talent. I then followed comments and clicked away - just amazing talent throughout the world.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:18 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2969 #13 · p.2969 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
The mexican fisherman reminded me of Somerset Maugham's wonderful story of the Verger. It's very short and here's the link

http://www.sinden.org/verger.html

Enjoy!

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:23 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2969 #14 · p.2969 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Now, if it is not your thing, or you don't want to spend the time/learning curve, etc. that is a different matter. But don't claim you are a photographer because you don't get into Photoshop, and I am a graphic designer technician because I do.

That's okay - not everyone wants to spend the time/learning curve to learn how to use a camera - that's probably why Photoshop was created in the first place.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:34 PM
DTOB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2969 #15 · p.2969 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Please excuse me if I've posted this one before, but I don't believe I have.

105/2.5:

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2969 #16 · p.2969 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Fatigue pants are likely cheap at the surplus store... Living on the edge is never easy and can be especially challenging in a place with a harsh climate. We haven't seen this before Dylan. So many stories could be imagined from this photo. Powerful stuff... not at all pretty.

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:36 PM
bruni
• • •
p.2969 #17 · p.2969 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
27 years was enough to prove I'm capable of surviving the cold Dylan, I don't need to immerse myself in it again just to refresh my memory. I recall when I decided to move to the West Coast.

I'd just come back from three months in Europe that included two plus months in Greece and an abbreviated shopping trip through Paris, Copenhagen and London. We left Greece on January 1 and flew out of London on January 20, arriving in Montreal where it was 12 below zero. We took a train and arrived in Chicago at 20 below, then Minneapolis where
...Show more

lovely story Curtis - and the Minnesota chapter too - and I love the way you're stringing it out, like feeding the chickens (as we say here), just tossing us a few grains and teasing the rest later.........

boston ben

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:48 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2969 #18 · p.2969 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Please excuse me if I've posted this one before, but I don't believe I have.

105/2.5:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8454/8061200456_25da1b31b1_o.jpg

They say good images tell a story, this one certainly does.

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:05 PM
DTOB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2969 #19 · p.2969 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Curtis and Leighton, although it feels strange to be thanking someone for a compliment on a photo like this. But I know what you mean.

I'm pretty sure I refrained from posting this in the first place because it is not for the faint of heart. Our homeless are some of the most weathered looking people I've ever seen. The cold can be so.....cold.

There are places they can go, but the beds are limited and they all require sobriety, usually for a few months before you qualify. Many take refuge wherever possible, including the drunk tank.

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:29 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2969 #20 · p.2969 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Thanks Curtis and Leighton, although it feels strange to be thanking someone for a compliment on a photo like this. But I know what you mean.

I'm pretty sure I refrained from posting this in the first place because it is not for the faint of heart. Our homeless are some of the most weathered looking people I've ever seen. The cold can be so.....cold.

There are places they can go, but the beds are limited and they all require sobriety, usually for a few months before you qualify. Many take refuge wherever possible, including the drunk tank.

A very moving image, Dylan...just so sad that wealthy countries haven't resolved this problem. Basic shelter and food should be within reach....

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:34 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password