Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2967      
       2969              3800       3801       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2968 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's a 5 shot pano of the Smokys using the D7000 and 16mm 3.5. Not up to John's standard but the view was wonderful!

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:54 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2968 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Goerg the "charcoal" shot is terrific. Very nice framing!
Leighton the lock photo really shows off the DOF. I think you do great work with the 50mm 1.2
Jose your moon photos make me jealous
Roland you have to love the 16mm 3.5 nice shots
Ron terrific timing on the turtle. Nice capture
Samy you really have a knack for street photography. Shakespeare St. is my favorite

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:04 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2968 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thank you Georg and Jeff!

Rafael - I rather like the first B&W image of the steam tractor, you captured it well. Ever since I saw some images from you around a month ago with the 5.8, I've been very interested in it. You're right about the 3d rendering, which is the attractiveness of it. But I could have sworn it was the f2 version and not the 1.4 seen here, am I right? I believe the images I am referring to were of an old PU truck.

rafaelcasd wrote:
You remember well Leighton, the 5cm 2,0s at 2.0 does the best job I have seen so far in separating the subject plane from the background in a 3d like way, because the subjec plane t is well in focus and the background is just out of focus in a smooth way. The 5.8cm so far seems best at giving an effect of the center very sharp at 1.4 with the rest fading away, but the in focus area is smaller.

Would be interesting to compare with the 50/1.2 at the same aperture.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:05 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2968 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Nicely done Phillippe!

+1

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • •
p.2968 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks
Amazing Jose
Nice set Roland
Great shot Phillipe and Ray

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Edited on Jun 24, 2013 at 08:12 PM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:08 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2968 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Leighton the lock photo really shows off the DOF. I think you do great work with the 50mm 1.2

Thank you Ray. And I love your pano.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:09 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2968 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Roland, I like the set with the glaciers. Have you ever seen Chasing the Ice, with photographer James Balog?

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:11 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2968 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny these flower photos are beautiful. Love the post works and the colors are terrific. I think you are putting some pressure on our flower master Curtis!

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2968 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi guys,

any advice on "basic" MF Nikkor zoom? Some good and "cheap"? I noticed 28-85 for reasonable price (somewhere around 300 USD).

I want it cause now I have Nikon F mount camera, but theres probability of using Canon EOS and MF Nikkors works on both. (like my C/Y lens)

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:22 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2968 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, thanks, but you give me way too much credit I have been following all the street photography here and trying to emulate some of it

MDoc9523 wrote:
Samy you really have a knack for street photography. Shakespeare St. is my favorite

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.2968 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mescalamba wrote:
Hi guys,

any advice on "basic" MF Nikkor zoom? Some good and "cheap"? I noticed 28-85 for reasonable price (somewhere around 300 USD).

I want it cause now I have Nikon F mount camera, but theres probability of using Canon EOS and MF Nikkors works on both. (like my C/Y lens)

My favorite Nikkor zoom is the 50-135mm f3.5 AI-s. You can usually pick one up from anywhere between 150 to 300 bucks. Watch out for the condition, the zoom/focus rings can get very loose.

Check-out my flickr set for this lens. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEWXxSY

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:44 PM
StonePhotog
• •
p.2968 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Once again, there have been too many great shots posted since my last visit to comment on them all. Needless to say, there's some great talent and genuine love of photography being shown off in this thread. It's both humbling and enjoyable to stop in.

Now, if you all don't mind, can I get a quick opinion on two lenses? In one of my first posts in this thread I commented on my desire to get one of the 1.2 variants - either the 50 or the 55 - but I hadn't made up my mind. After doing some research, the 55 2.8 micro has started to look enticing (and cheaper!), so much so that I'm leaning towards this instead. Can anyone share their opinions on the 55 2.8 micro vs either, or both, of the 1.2 variants? The Noct is not an option due to the cost.

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:58 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2968 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here are some photos of the many gates that are prevalent all over Charleston, SC. These are all taken using the D7000 and 16mm 3.5. They fascinated me as to their ornate styles. I hope you will enjoy them

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2968 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

StonePhotog wrote:
Once again, there have been too many great shots posted since my last visit to comment on them all. Needless to say, there's some great talent and genuine love of photography being shown off in this thread. It's both humbling and enjoyable to stop in.

Now, if you all don't mind, can I get a quick opinion on two lenses? In one of my first posts in this thread I commented on my desire to get one of the 1.2 variants - either the 50 or the 55 - but I hadn't made up my mind. After doing some research,
...Show more

Jay, This is a tough one considering I like both the 55/2.8 and the 50/1.2 but for different reasons. I love how the 1.2 renders colors and contrast, not to mention a 3d look at open apertures. It's also VERY sharp closed down. But the 55/2.8 is no slouch either. It will focus a LOT closer than the 1.2 and it's very good at distance as well. If you do a lot of close-ups then the 55 may be the way to go. It can also do micros at 1:1 when used with the PK-13 tube. Here's some samples from both to help you.

50/1.2: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEY6DfF

55/2.8 micro: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFjEjcw

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM
StonePhotog
• •
p.2968 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the links Leighton! However, your pictures from both lenses are so good that it looks like one couldn't go wrong with either lens.

I do like getting up close and personal - hence the attractiveness of the 2.8 micro.

I've been using my AF 50 1.8D quite a bit as a walk-around lens, and while it's a good performer for the value, it's just not remarkable. Granted, that could be the limitations of the man behind the lens... I've seen some really interesting shots with both flavors of the 1.2, which, in turn, is what makes one of those attractive.

FWIW, do you - or anyone else - recommend the 50 1.2 over the 55 1.2?

Thanks again!

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2968 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
My favorite Nikkor zoom is the 50-135mm f3.5 AI-s. You can usually pick one up from anywhere between 150 to 300 bucks. Watch out for the condition, the zoom/focus rings can get very loose.

Check-out my flickr set for this lens. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEWXxSY

That is great Leighton... grouping photos by lens used. What a great resource when we're talking about lenses. I think you're setting the price a bit high but doubtless if one has to have a focus ring that stands up by itself, they will pay a premium IF they can find one at all.

Regardless, you know I'm a big fan of this lens as well. I was early to the party so I bought a very clean copy WITH lens creep for $95... Mmm, good...

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2968 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, I love the panorama. Gorgeous colors and very nicely executed. Great work.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2968 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, I just wanna stop by to say how much I like your pano: excellent work, well done!
PS: I like the last of the gate-shots a lot too.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2968 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So you're already at it Leighton. Very sweet.

Jay, all three of the lenses you're considering are fine lenses that would give you great performance. The knock on the 55 f/2.8 AI-s is that oil can appear on the aperture blades. I've not had that problem but it is both written about and Ron on this thread tore down his copy of that lens to clean the blades. He posted a couple of photos on the process. Of course, he's a person who for years restored cars, so I think he has above average confidence in himself to tackle a project like that. You can always send a lens out for cleaning and adjusting. But I think among micro shooters there is a preference for the 55 f/3.5 AI because it doesn't appear to have a problem.

Here is a photo of my 50 f/1.2 AI-s and the first 55 f/1.2 I owned, a late model AI. There is no AI-s version of the 55.

I haven't done an informal comparison of the two lenses but the bokeh of the 55 seems to please me a bit more than the 50. I've no intention of selling the 50 however. It is a great lens. But I tend to have the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd in my camera bag, not the 50. That may be my recent enthusiasm for pre-AI lenses as much as anything else. But I've traveled with the 50 and been very happy with what it produced. It will likely be a bit more expensive than the 55 but I don't think you'd be disappointed in either lens.

Here's an old shot taken with the 50 at f/2 with a 20mm extension tube attached.

And here is a shot wide open with the 55.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2968 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Here's a 5 shot pano of the Smokys using the D7000 and 16mm 3.5. Not up to John's standard but the view was wonderful!

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v78/p1782232159-5.jpg

Totally up to my standards! Great color and nice framing (which can be tricky with the 16/3.5 even on DX).

- John

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password