Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2965      
       2967              4363       4364       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2966 #1 · p.2966 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton and Ronny

Jun 23, 2013 at 09:26 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2966 #2 · p.2966 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Bert, the "MG"-shot is great! Love your play with the shallow DoF. I like the Nantucket-image a lot too.

Ronny, wonderful work again! It's hard to pick a favorite because all of your shots are greta

Francesco, welcome! I like your work with the 135/2 a lot!

Rafael, I'm still in love with the sportsfinder on your F2 (? - shown on the image with your pristine 8/2.8) - back in the 90's I've handled a fellow photographers F3 with sportsfinder and remember the view through it like it was yesterday.
Love your B&W-moon - I would never have thought that stacking TC's can work so well like you've demonstrated in a beautiful fashion!

Larry, love the swab-image! A really fine picture: many photographers would probably have walked by without taking notice of this subject; I'm glad you didn't.

Leighton, your impressions from the market are very nicely captured - I like especially the "Free Ice Cream" (who doesn't ;-) and the "too early in the morning"-shot.

Chuong, nice work with your new D600+300/4.5 IF-ED! How do you like the viewfinder compared to your "old" D700? And hats off to your skills as a TC-mechanic
The second shot with the 105/2.8+TC16A is wonderful.

Curtis, I really like the closer shot of "Indiana Jones". B&W (including your processing) works great for these sculptures.

Laura, "schlepping" the 300/2.8 to the show was well worth the effort! I like your sets, especially "Fifi" and the cockpit-close-up with the umbrellas (I'm not into planes, so please excuse my paraphrases).

Samy, the moon-shot is great as are your floral close-ups! Did you use the PC 28/3.5 or another 28/3.5 on the city-image?

Ray, I really enjoyed looking at your fine Charleston-set! My personal fav is the third shot.

Luc, you've captured the classic Benz in a wonderful fashion! That's really classy B&W, a perfect fit for the classy subject!

Eric, very cool takes on the yellow spider!

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2966 #3 · p.2966 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

lucdeschepper wrote:
W125 Mercedes-Benz Silberpfeile / Silver Arrows
28mm f2.8 AI-s

Luc, the light is magic in your hands.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2966 #4 · p.2966 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

stedge wrote:
Nice work, everyone!

Was working in the garden with my wife and noticed this colorful little bugger.

Eric, the last photo is just out of this world!

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2966 #5 · p.2966 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

As stated, I go for old lenses trying to get an old look to my photos, while still being sharp, hence the 5.8CM.

Happy to announce success beyond my wild dreams, none of the silky light that Luc captures here, and the machinery a little slower, but at least it should make Leighton cry.

To remain honest, this high key exposure credit needs to go to the iris, which occasionally refuses to close on time.

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 stuck diaphram art Vista gas and steam D800 Minneapolis tractor by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on Jun 25, 2013 at 02:52 AM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2966 #6 · p.2966 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Georg. I was hanging out on this thread when the auction ended. I'd encourage you to look for a snipe service that can handle bidding for you. I haven't personally followed an auction in about two years. The snipe service permits me to set a maximum bid, which in this case I set at $157.75. The opening bid was $150 and there was a Buy It Now price of $199. Sometime yesterday someone bid $150. I set up my bid so there is no review before the auction ends. I guess that is intended to give bidders the opportunity
...Show more

Curtis, thanks for the hint regarding "esnipe"! I'll check if this service is available and legal over here (some years back sniping-tools were forbidden at the german ebay-site if memory serves).
The 300/4.5H caught my interest because it looks so well-crafted. I also don't really like the focusing-mechanism of my 300/4.5 IF-ED, it is lacking the "sound feeling" the 180/2.8 ED or 135/2 are giving me.
Basically I don't need new old lenses, but would give the "golden oldies" a try if the price is on the moderate side of the scale.
I hope your "H" shows up soon and in a great condition - can't wait to read and see your impressions about it.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM
stedge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2966 #7 · p.2966 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks!!!

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2966 #8 · p.2966 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

LarryM wrote:
Thanks for the tips Curtis. I'll get an estimate of shipping it to Europe and contact Georg.
However, he mentioned that he passed on a local one since the price was too high and I'm thinking that the extra shipping charges and possible duty might be a deal killer. But I'll ask anyway.

Larry and Curtis - thanks a bunch for your thoughts! I'm a bit afraid that the shipping costs and custom-fees/import-duty could be a deal-breaker.
But if it's not too much of a hassle, I would be glad to get an offer from you, Larry!

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2966 #9 · p.2966 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just to add a bit to the wide variety of this wonderful thread:
Here's a staged portrait, nothing special, with many flaws to be precise (ugly shadow on the grass, caused by a not very carefully set-up speed-light, the sky is overexposed at the upper right side and the charcoal isn't clearly recognizable as such...).

A very friendly charburner (charcoal maker) taken 2009 with a D700 and a 28/2 (ISO100, 1/250sec, f/8, one or two remote SB-800's).
We both had tears in our eyes - the gases produced by this "oven" are really breathtaking ;-)

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2966 #10 · p.2966 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Never know what your going to find walking the dog. Ms Painted Turtle popped out of the pond in the back of my neighbors yard and made it several 100yds out by the street to lay her eggs. She really is big the pictures don't do her justice. 50-135mm

NIKON D800    50mm    f/8.0    1/60s    400 ISO    -1.0 EV  

NIKON D800    50mm    f/3.5    1/50s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON D800    50mm    f/5.6    1/60s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

saph
• • • •
p.2966 #11 · p.2966 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, thanks, that was the 2.8cm 3.5 for the bird's eye view on Washington. Scott, thanks and that was indeed a street festival. Seems like every street I walked by had a festival going on. I will try to do a crop of the street and post it.

Ron, that's neat, very nice to see the turtle close up and even more seeing it guarding its eggs.

Some images from Baltimore, all with the 13.5cm 3.5 and the 35 1.4N:

13.5cm 3.5 ..
The show just ended at Vagabond Theatre in Fells Point, Baltimore:

The art place:

Street performer:

Shakespeare Street:

Inside a store in Fells Point:

And finally with the 35 1.4N:

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2966 #12 · p.2966 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi gang, just getting back in touch after a busy week of college tours with my son and a family reunion.

Thanks much for the kind comments on the "balloon" and film noir shots.

Rafael, I loved your vent mocha latte powered Buddhist Ranch shots! The bell was especially nice. The Ford shots with the 8mm are very cool.

Samy, beautiful dove with the 400/5.6 and the flowers with the 35/1.4 are really nice.

Chin, I love the look you get with the 45PC-E. Great sky in "sewn through."

Jose, the woodpecker shots are amazingly good! Really like the flowers and bokeh.

Mark, terrific shot of the building at sunset with the 300mm.

Philippe, very cool "cognac" shot . The man in silhouette makes it for me. "Place du Palais Royal" is a wonderful shot. Love how you "painted" with the cityscape on the OOF background.

Peter, very nice "rain spider" and jag shots.

Peter in Madison, great perspective on "Mr. C" and I really enjoyed your train shots.

Georg, love the apple tree with the rope swing. "Too much coffee" is way cool! "Coat pegs" is an outstanding image and the gull before the flags is really attractive.

Eric, nice portraits. Your dog looks like a real ham!

Ray, great sky shots from Lido beach. Your eye for color is second to none!

Jay, beautiful Hosten flowers.

Ronny, terrific beetles and flowers with the 180/2.8. You're hitting these tube shots out of the park!

Curtis, the Live Oak b&w's, especially the first shot, really spoke to me. Great sky, contrast and framing!

Scott, terrific sets from the Land of Barbara. Wonderful covered bridge shots.

Leighton, I really like the shots of Barbara you're entering in the contest. The second one that's focused on her hands was my favorite. I really liked the b&w conversion of the land and sky shot. The range of tonality was very attractive to me. "Blue Hour" is a winner in my book. A terrific photo. Congrats on the article on your farm. That's very cool!

John, beautiful Seattle skies. Good luck with the remodel!

Luc, wonderful motorcycle b&w's. The shot of the 212 F1 is outstanding!

Chris, the Palazzo shot is very cool.

Chuong, love the shot of your daughter. Great expression, lighting, composition, colors ... really well done!

Philip, "Delux" and the jag are great shots.

Ron, lovely flowers with the 80-200/4.5.

Laura, "Pink" and the big fin is super. As is "FiFi's" nose!

Jim, beautiful apple still life.

Bert, very nice shots from one of my favorite places, Cape Cod.

Samy and Rafael, great moon shots!

Eric, gorgeous spider.

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:23 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2966 #13 · p.2966 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I must admit I screwed up my shoot today, I went to the Vista Steam and Gas museum, been wanting to go for a long time. took the 5.8cm 1.4 to get an antique look of the stored farm machinery, but I did not know it was Farm Day! with tractor parade! this was not the right lens for a tractor parade!

Still got a wealth of tractors, the only way I can do Justice is post one or two over a week period. Ranged from steam to diesel, tiny to gigantic.

Here is a sample of three. No more postings today and I refuse to take moon shots tonight!

The 5.8 CM has a very odd tonal rendition, I like its graphics, they are 3-d like, the tone works well indoors, but sunny outdoors it has a sharp but low contrast odd rendition, odd balance with gray sky. Made the best of it. Still love it, just don't know how to best use it yet.

Small tractors

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 Nik Kodachrome Vista gas and steam D800 little tractor by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Medium Tractors

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 Nik Kodachrome Vista gas and steam D800 mccormick farmall tractor by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Large tractors

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 Nik Kodachrome Vista gas and steam D800 1897 mancy 12hp tractor by Rafael CA, on Flickr

and a slide of Leighton when he was a boy, greasy face and overalls.....

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 Nik Kodachrome Vista gas and steam D800 case steam tractor by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:35 AM
zippy_monster
• •
p.2966 #14 · p.2966 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
That's what manual mode is for. Modern DSLR cameras handle low light so well, that you can turn on Auto ISO, set the shutter speed where you find comfort, set aperture and let the camera solve the lighting problem. Between Auto ISO and the non-CPU register you're in good shape unless you really want to stop down. But these lenses tend to be sharp wide open so that's not a problem.

Ah, but auto ISO is a bit neutered with non-CPU lenses. Without a CPU you've got to set the minimum shutter speed manually, otherwise it will default to 1/50th. On a prosumer camera where you can switch settings banks, this isn't terribly awkward. On an entry-level camera, like the D600, this is more tedious because you have to use the SPAM knob to switch banks.

'Course you could always chip the lens for the best of both worlds.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:22 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2966 #15 · p.2966 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

zippy_monster wrote:
Ah, but auto ISO is a bit neutered with non-CPU lenses. Without a CPU you've got to set the minimum shutter speed manually, otherwise it will default to 1/50th. On a prosumer camera where you can switch settings banks, this isn't terribly awkward. On an entry-level camera, like the D600, this is more tedious because you have to use the SPAM knob to switch banks.

'Course you could always chip the lens for the best of both worlds.

I still use my D3 and D800 as I used the f2, set ISO according to need (choose film), set the aperture according to desired depth of field and shutter speed, let the speed follow last. There is nothing else to adjust on a camera.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:43 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2966 #16 · p.2966 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, there have been a ton of wonderful shots here, and they just keep coming. Few more from Sunday's show, including some of the acrobatic planes. I can't believe I was able to manually focus so well

NightOwl Cat 2013

Wright B Replica

NIKON D3    300mm    f/16.0    1/200s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2013

NIKON D3    300mm    f/16.0    1/200s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2013

F-86

NIKON D3    300mm    f/8.0    1/640s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2013

Team Fasttrax

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:16 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2966 #17 · p.2966 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, perfect family pic with the perfect backdrop! And I really look forward to your market shots; delicious looking peppers and no wonder the customer looks so happy.

Ronny, that yellow flower against the black background is excellent!

Ray, very pleasant place for a visit, nice images of Charleston.

Luc, love the Silver Arrow images, cool subject.

Eric, is that the 55 micro? I really like how the lens rendered the web threads.

Rafael, nice tractor shots with the 5.8cm. And cool capture of Leighton when he used to work.
(of course j/k Leighton )

Laura, nice focus indeed in all the air show action images. The 300 2.8 is a hefty lens to carry to an air show, did you take a monopod to rest it on?

Samy

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:55 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2966 #18 · p.2966 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Georg and Jeff!

Rafael - I rather like the first B&W image of the steam tractor, you captured it well. Ever since I saw some images from you around a month ago with the 5.8, I've been very interested in it. You're right about the 3d rendering, which is the attractiveness of it. But I could have sworn it was the f2 version and not the 1.4 seen here, am I right? I believe the images I am referring to were of an old PU truck.

Georg - That's a wonderful portrait of the "charburner", even with the "flaws".

Ron - The shot of her laying eggs is like a National Geographic moment. Way to get right in the action! And what were the chances you'd be there at that moment?

Samy - Very good capture of the "Street Performer"!

Laura - The whole set is very nice, but I like the first one the best.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2966 #19 · p.2966 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rooftop greenery in Washington DC. 2.8cm f3.5:

And a crop of the weekend street festival in DC, this time a 35 1.4N image for a somewhat closer look:

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2966 #20 · p.2966 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, no, no monopod, just me holding the lens.

Thanks Leighton. I'm debating whether or not to join the museum that has that replica, if you become an Honorary or Lifetime member, you get a ride on it.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password