1       2       3              2961      
       2963              5886       5887       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2962 #1 · p.2962 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Of course, what was happening on shore was equally interesting. I was standing next to a path used by bicyclists who had crossed the Golden Gate bridge and were heading for Sausalito. A great many would stop to read about the bridge and take photos of friends with the bridge or San Francisco in the distance. Here are three buddies having a great time.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tM44rw31MJo/UfaJhnagJ2I/AAAAAAAAVpw/BHiKwM-vFJg/s1000/400.TouristsGGBridge.jpg

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-C04dOCr5rpE/UfaIo-0CxtI/AAAAAAAAVpo/ZnpIMaOuXpg/s1000/400.ThreeDudesTakingPhotos.jpg

I LOVE these two shots. BTW, I love all that you've shared the past few pages. The one while you were pumping gas just proves that the best camera is the one you have with you, well done my friend!

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2962 #2 · p.2962 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Btw, anyone here with experience using "sensor-film" for cleaning?

kwoodard wrote:
Google "Copperhill Method sensor cleaning"... That is what I did when my D7000 was constantly spitting oil on my sensor. Works great!

To tell you the truth, this is the first I've heard of this. Looks interesting, but I think I need to know more.

There was a guy on dpreview a long time ago that swore by using Scotch Tape! I never tried it but others did and they said it worked.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2962 #3 · p.2962 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67 wrote:
A few more from last weekend.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/99/842899.jpg
Bert

Very nice Bert, I like the third one as well.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2962 #4 · p.2962 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Question for the group: How's the focusing of these lenses on digital cameras? I assume most people here are using FX cameras. is it easy to hit focus? Even at apertures like f/1.2 or f/1.4? (Not interested in live view type answers since that, I assume, takes away from the SLR experience).

I tried my 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens on my S5 (D200) and found focusing awful. So bad that I put the lens away for over a year. I could get nothing in focus at shallow DOF. Now that I use a Nikon FM2 with it's gorgeous split window
...Show more
As others have already indicated, FF cameras are fairly easy to focus these lenses due to their large bright viewfinders. This was the main reason I switched to the D600 from the D7000. YMMV.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2962 #5 · p.2962 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Here's a couple shots from the Hillsborough River State park. I had to try my new tripod on some moving water. So Melody and took the afternoon to explore. She walks ahead of my and scouts out the locations for the best shots. I stop and take the photos
There are taken with the D600 and 24mm 2.8 AIS

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v83/p1676802603-5.jpg

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v84/p1800604364-5.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous Ray! I believe you have found your niche in photography. Now get yourself that variable neutral density filter from Tiffen and go to it!

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2962 #6 · p.2962 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
As others have already indicated, FF cameras are fairly easy to focus these lenses due to their large bright viewfinders. This was the main reason I switched to the D600 from the D7000. YMMV.

There's a Nikon showcase store here in Shanghai where one can look and handle virtually every Nikon photographic product they have. I'll have to stop by there and slap on my 50mm f/1.2 lens and see how it is. Sounds worlds different from my DX camera, which was very frustrating.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM
elnj
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2962 #7 · p.2962 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Nice Ursa Major!

I'll second that - nice image, Mark! This image caught my eye while scrolling through in a hopeless attempt to catch up with the thread. Good-looking image, and nice and steady - you can clearly see the nice clean separation between Alcor and Mizar (the pair of stars that are second from the end of the handle of the Big Dipper).

Eric J.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM
elnj
• •
p.2962 #8 · p.2962 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
The Golden-chevroned Tanager at f/4:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2812/9386595755_75abc7ec6a_b.jpg
Golden-chevroned Tanager with Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AI-S ED by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AI-S ED hand held, ISO 100, f/4 at 1/400s, ~80% cropped (!). This 16Mp sensor allows a lot of cropping.

Jose, super shots as always. I thought I was done buying lenses (!) but you're making me want a 180 for my D7000. (Not just you, of course - always lots of great shots on here. But seeing what it can do on the same camera I have is particularly striking.)

Eric J.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2962 #9 · p.2962 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Peter, didn't know you spoke spanish, I am sure you have the cojones, it is your brain you are having trouble with, it wants to make a good decision. The lens has grown in me, and this is one with a little haze that Nikon refuses to see. If the one you can buy is mint, as in perfect, I would say buy it, test it. If you don't like it bring it to your son in America for him to sell on the Bay. Are you still using the D200? if so you need to go D600 first.

I can see you've been infected by Ben and Curtis who are experts at spending other peoples money

My Spanish is limited to a few unacceptable words picked up from novels and about three phrases from a Berlitz course that I once looked at - starting with "como este usted, Senor Garcia?" - that's it

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM
designdog
• •
p.2962 #10 · p.2962 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sorry to hear about your dog, Leighton. More than half of the photographs I take have our two dogs in them, so I know how you feel.

I do not know about kennels for your breed, as we have Border Collies and Golden Retrievers. However, there is a pretty famous sheep trial event about halfway between your house and ours every fall. Believe it is in Montpelier, in October - the "Fall Fiber Festival". While I certainly hope you have found another dog by then, if you have not, this would be a good source for information.

If you go, please let me know. I will be the other old fat white guy with a Nikon camera...

Again, really sorry about your dog.

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

designdog
• •
p.2962 #11 · p.2962 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Question for the group: How's the focusing of these lenses on digital cameras? I assume most people here are using FX cameras. is it easy to hit focus? Even at apertures like f/1.2 or f/1.4? (Not interested in live view type answers since that, I assume, takes away from the SLR experience).

I tried my 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens on my S5 (D200) and found focusing awful. So bad that I put the lens away for over a year. I could get nothing in focus at shallow DOF. Now that I use a Nikon FM2 with it's gorgeous split window
...Show more

I have that lens and use it regularly on my D800. Keep your eye on the Green Dot, and you will have no problem. In fact, the main problem is relying too much on the green dot and forgetting the scene...

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:32 PM
designdog
• •
p.2962 #12 · p.2962 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Not much of a photo, but fun for me. My wife finally, against my vehement objections, set up one of those glass balls in our garden. Fortunately, we have many gardens, and she choose a remote spot. This was with the 50 1.2 AI-s. Autofocus actually had a tougher time with this shot, so I changed to an MF lens.

I keep seeing stuff like this. The D800 is great for it, reminds me of one of the initial scenes from Twin Peaks, when the killer's image shows up in the victim's retina. I have crops where I emerge in my dog's eye, in someone's sunglasses, etc. Perverse, but there you go...

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:51 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2962 #13 · p.2962 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
There's a Nikon showcase store here in Shanghai where one can look and handle virtually every Nikon photographic product they have. I'll have to stop by there and slap on my 50mm f/1.2 lens and see how it is. Sounds worlds different from my DX camera, which was very frustrating.

Tom, going from DX to FX is a whole different ball game.

However, the viewfinders on FX cameras still only show DOF down to f2.8. Meaning, if you set your 50/1.2 to f2 and hit the DOF preview, you will see no difference at all.

I have remedied this by replacing the focussing screen in my D700. Looking online, all available options were $80 and up. I didn't want to spend a dime, so I started looking at all of my old film cameras before carefully choosing my victim. It ended up being an old Miranda Sensomat that has a removable prism, similar to an F3.

Getting the screen out of the old camera was a breeze. It was ever so slightly bigger than the D700 screen (also easy to get to) so I had to shave it down a bit. A few swipes on the top and bottom on some sand paper did the trick, it fits perfectly.

It isn't a split prism, it has a small area of microprism in the center, and a matte area outside of that. It is accurate down to f1.2, and setting even 1.4 on my 55/1.2 (half click off of wide open) and hitting the DOF preview shows an ever so slight dimming of the viewfinder. I can focus using the microprism or the matte area equally well.

This one modification has made MF lenses SO MUCH more enjoyable and accurate, for me. I mentioned this to Georg and he found a Miranda Sensomat local to him and did the same mod on his D700. He seemed to get on well with it.

Jul 30, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2962 #14 · p.2962 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

For the fun of it I took advantage of some late afternoon warmth on the deck to compare the 28mm lenses. All shot wide open and handheld although I did use the grid in the viewfinder to help with the verticals.

28mm PC Nikkor f3.5 (2shot pano of pp'd jpegs)

28mm Nikkor H pre ai ai'd f2.8

28-45 zoom Nikkor f4.5

Jul 30, 2013 at 02:57 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2962 #15 · p.2962 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
To tell you the truth, this is the first I've heard of this. Looks interesting, but I think I need to know more.

There was a guy on dpreview a long time ago that swore by using Scotch Tape! I never tried it but others did and they said it worked.

I worry with tape if there was oil on the sensor, that could potentially spread it around more. I also worry about pressing any dust/dirt into the sensor glass when you stick the tape. The Copperhill is a sensor swab that gently brushes across the sensor using methanol, so it breaks up dust and dirt and oil, not spreading it around. I wish the place I took my camera to be "professionally" cleaned used this method, wouldn't have damaged my sensor like they did. But, again, without them damaging my sensor, Nikon would not have cleaned the oil issue permanently...

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:23 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2962 #16 · p.2962 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

elnj wrote:
I'll second that - nice image, Mark! This image caught my eye while scrolling through in a hopeless attempt to catch up with the thread. Good-looking image, and nice and steady - you can clearly see the nice clean separation between Alcor and Mizar (the pair of stars that are second from the end of the handle of the Big Dipper).

Eric J.

Thanks Eric,
Nice to learn something through my own photos. Alcor and Mizar, I will remember those.

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:51 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2962 #17 · p.2962 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Btw, anyone here with experience using "sensor-film" for cleaning?

kwoodard wrote:
Google "Copperhill Method sensor cleaning"... That is what I did when my D7000 was constantly spitting oil on my sensor. Works great!

leighton w wrote:

kwoodard wrote:
I worry with tape if there was oil on the sensor, that could potentially spread it around more. I also worry about pressing any dust/dirt into the sensor glass when you stick the tape. The Copperhill is a sensor swab that gently brushes across the sensor using methanol, so it breaks up dust and dirt and oil, not spreading it around. I wish the place I took my camera to be "professionally" cleaned used this method, wouldn't have damaged my sensor like they did. But, again, without them damaging my sensor, Nikon would not have cleaned the oil issue permanently...

All I've ever used is the Sensor Swabs with Eclipse and never had an issue. I cleaned the infamous D600's sensor one time and it's still clean.

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:00 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2962 #18 · p.2962 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, sorry to hear about Jed. I know he was a working dog, but I think that you can make make a very strong bond when you work together everyday.
You say that your dogs protect against predators, what do you have predating your sheep? Do you have the larger predators where you are or is it smaller things like stoats attacking the newborn lambs etc?

Another amazing collection of brilliant work from everyone. Ray - glad you are liking the tripod, your work is stunning with it.
Bert, amazing with the hummingbird shot. I am going to try to get some in the next couple of weeks so studying your pics closely.
Georg, I missed you Sweden boat shot earlier, gorgeous. Sehr schönst.
Curtis, loved all your series from around the bridge and where you live. All those B&W and then the great colour shot at the end as a surprise. Liked the three guys mucking about as well, lots of fun.

Lots of other great shots too from many others.

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:00 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2962 #19 · p.2962 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Sorry to hear about your dog, Leighton. More than half of the photographs I take have our two dogs in them, so I know how you feel.

I do not know about kennels for your breed, as we have Border Collies and Golden Retrievers. However, there is a pretty famous sheep trial event about halfway between your house and ours every fall. Believe it is in Montpelier, in October - the "Fall Fiber Festival". While I certainly hope you have found another dog by then, if you have not, this would be a good source for information.

If you go, please let
...Show more

Thanks David. We've been to the Fall Fiber Festival a few times in the past, who knows, maybe we'll go again this year. If you're in to that sort of thing, the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival blows it out of the water. Hard to see it all in one day!

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:03 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2962 #20 · p.2962 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Leighton, sorry to hear about Jed. I know he was a working dog, but I think that you can make make a very strong bond when you work together everyday.
You say that your dogs protect against predators, what do you have predating your sheep? Do you have the larger predators where you are or is it smaller things like stoats attacking the newborn lambs etc?

Mark, Coyotes are the biggest problem around these parts other than stray dogs. There's also Black Vultures and an occasional Golden Eagle, although I've never seen the Eagles, just heard of the problem in the next county west of us.

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:07 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password