Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2961 #1 · p.2961 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67 wrote:
A few more from last weekend.

Bert

the last two of the flower are excellent, very nice!

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:15 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2961 #2 · p.2961 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Jorge, superb scenarios!

Rafael, always loving your 15mm shots; is the f/3.5 better than the f/5.6 version??

RM (Tom?), as always gorgeous B&W pictures from China!

ose, I can't say that one is better than the other, the 5.6 has more curvature of field, but definitely sharper in the center, the 3.5 may be easier to focus and sharper across the frame in more environments. I will run a comparison series of shots this weekend and let you know.

My current enthusiasm for the 3.5 is driven by having written it off in the past as only a pretty face, after Nikon repairs it is now quite excellent.

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:15 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2961 #3 · p.2961 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ben great shot! good to see you
Jorge one of those medevac helicopters saved my life when I had my heart attack
Jose your bird photos are nothing short of amazing!
Ronny nice sharp shots with the 180mm
Georg your harbour shot is absolutely stunning
Leighton sorry to hear about Jed. I am sure he was a good "friend"
Curtis it is so nice to see you posting your B&W's some amazing photos that truly show your talent! Wonderful capture of the three mates taking self portraits
Bert the pink and blue shot is my favorite!

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:45 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2961 #4 · p.2961 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great concert pics Curtis. I'm more than tempted now to get something longer than 100mm's.

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:49 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2961 #5 · p.2961 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's a couple shots from the Hillsborough River State park. I had to try my new tripod on some moving water. So Melody and took the afternoon to explore. She walks ahead of my and scouts out the locations for the best shots. I stop and take the photos
There are taken with the D600 and 24mm 2.8 AIS

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:52 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2961 #6 · p.2961 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:

RM (Tom?), as always gorgeous B&W pictures from China!

Thanks! Yes, my name is Tom, but RM or Ratty works even better!

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:53 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2961 #7 · p.2961 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love the humming bird shot Bert. The wing position could not be more perfect!

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:54 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2961 #8 · p.2961 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Question for the group: How's the focusing of these lenses on digital cameras? I assume most people here are using FX cameras. is it easy to hit focus? Even at apertures like f/1.2 or f/1.4? (Not interested in live view type answers since that, I assume, takes away from the SLR experience).

I tried my 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens on my S5 (D200) and found focusing awful. So bad that I put the lens away for over a year. I could get nothing in focus at shallow DOF. Now that I use a Nikon FM2 with it's gorgeous split window screen, focusing is a breeze. Are FX cameras better than a crop camera?

Just curious what your experience is like compared to mine for focus accuracy.

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:57 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2961 #9 · p.2961 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I like my D700 and find it easier than my FM2
Am sometimes thrown off by the lack of the green dot, and also the fuzzy surroundings of the center split screen as I do not focus-recompose
I would think it depends on what you're used to; I've never used film cameras before so the green dot becomes a crutch; takes me faster to get to the dot then fine-tune from there
I must admit I still haven't gotten over my child-like wonder and marvel when the image snaps into focus and sharpness through the FM2 viewfinder. It's like magic!

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:42 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2961 #10 · p.2961 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Question for the group: How's the focusing of these lenses on digital cameras? I assume most people here are using FX cameras. is it easy to hit focus? Even at apertures like f/1.2 or f/1.4? (Not interested in live view type answers since that, I assume, takes away from the SLR experience).

I tried my 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens on my S5 (D200) and found focusing awful. So bad that I put the lens away for over a year. I could get nothing in focus at shallow DOF. Now that I use a Nikon FM2 with it's gorgeous split window
...Show more
Really all I can say is practice, practice, and practice. All my manual lenses are different, but most are at ther sharpest when the > and ē alternate quickly. Add a tube and then the are rock solid green dot. I did have one lens that was no where near the green dot, but it had impact damage.

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2961 #11 · p.2961 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Folks who've used cropped cameras like the S5 have commented on how challenging it can be to use MF lenses, but with FX cameras and their bright viewfinders it is really a breeze. As Chin notes, the arrows and center dot really work extremely well, though the camera is making little more than an educated guess when shooting with very fast lenses. With practice, however, even fast lenses get the job done. I shot all afternoon with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd wide open and got consistently great results. I don't think I posted this shot...

I've heard from a number of experienced photographers that some of Nikon's film cameras have the very best viewfinder they've ever experienced, so I've no doubt there are cameras superior in that regard to FX DLSR cameras. But I couldn't be happier with my D700 on every level. It is a great camera.

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:00 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2961 #12 · p.2961 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have a 35mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 and although I relied on the green dot with the D7000 with the D600 I can usually nail the focus visually

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:08 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2961 #13 · p.2961 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ray. It is good to have the camera in hand again after a few months of busyness. Hopefully, I'll get out some more. Clearly, shooting in settings where it is expected cameras will be out makes life much easier and more interesting. Both at the water's edge and at the local concert everyone was taking photos. The performer clearly played to the camera, which added to the fun. Here are a few more photos from that concert.

Some "old" hippy rockers.

Bonnie and guitarist listening to drummer...

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:08 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2961 #14 · p.2961 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I see Curtis, the first group was the teaser and you saved the best ones for the second time around
These are really good shots. I can feel the energy!!!
I miss live music shooting

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:12 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2961 #15 · p.2961 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks so much for the kind comments and good wishes. I appreciate them a lot!

Jose, beautiful Tanagers and I love the look on the Kiskadee's face.

Scott, wonderful farm shots; great light and compositions. Love the IH Farmall.

Rafael, terrific shots from Mission San Luis Rey and Rancho Guajone adobe. My shooting time has been pretty limited since the PRK procedure, but it's getting better every day. I'm hoping to get a full clearance from my Doc when I see him in three weeks so I'll be ready for the great SoCal MF shootout. I'm looking forward to it!

Jorge, love the mountain landscapes.

Ben, that's a very cool street shot.

RM, I really like the look you're getting from the Neopan Acros. Time to break out my F100.

Dylan, very nice NY b&w.

Georg, beautiful f11 stitch.

Leighton, I'm so sorry to hear about Jed. From your photographs, I felt like I knew him. The shot of Jed you posted today is outstanding.

Mark, I like tones and mood of the distant lightning shot.

Curtis, terrific shots from the Bay.

Ronny, you are definitely a pro with that 180.

John, I really like the shadow on the rocks shot.

Ray, lovely moving water shots. Tell Melody that she's a great scout!

Bert, terrific hummingbird.

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:16 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2961 #16 · p.2961 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Jeff. So glad you are feeling better

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:18 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2961 #17 · p.2961 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Good to see you back on the thread Jeff and to have your photography appear. I didn't comment on the pelican shot but I love it. I'll look forward to seeing more of your work now that your medical procedure is behind you. Have fun shooting.

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:39 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2961 #18 · p.2961 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Iím quite behind on my comments, kept a draft on Evernote but forgot to sync it, Iím sorry if I missed out on any:

Scott: Loved the tractor shot and bales of hay. As a personal preference, Iím always drawn to open spaces. An off-tangent remark: I canít however forget the quip about Massey Ferguson tractors being the equivalent to MF (Dean said that I think)

Tom: That tower image is really cool. B&W is perfect. I imagine a fish where the scales are unravelling from the tail

Curtis: I forget, are you using SEP for those conversion? Theyíre perfect: the tones, the grains. If you didnít mention it, Iíd probably do the touristy thing and walk across the bridge too.

Jeff: Glad youíre getting better. I think the birds in flight is magnificent; it appeals to my minimalist tendencies.

Ray: The waterís perfect in the first; just the right ss to capture movement in the water, not too much to make it all silky, enough rippling and moving lines to signify motion. Are you using MLU?

John: I simply laughed when I read the caption. Yes it does look like Gumby (and embarrassingly I can remember that character)

Ben: What, no freelines? Thought the street shot was well executed: an excellent contrast between dark and light, the man in the light has a stern almost-grimace, but the Marilyn Monroe graffiti is cheerful, frozen in laughter

Jose: Always a pleasure to view your bird photos. I think of how the small ones tend to flit and hop around so fast, itís a wonder you manage to get them so sharp.

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:59 AM
bruni
• • •
p.2961 #19 · p.2961 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

thanks for the comments everyone - I know it's been a while.

Leighton - loved the Ned shot

very funny Curtis - yes, I'm Ben from Boston. You can call me BB from now on .

I loved the bridge shots with the 400mm - it's actually made me think about pulling out my 400 - might help me get back into taking some pics (the zeiss 135 mm has completely intimidated me).

Chin - you may be sorry you asked - there may be a freeline shot any day.

ben

Jul 30, 2013 at 08:48 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2961 #20 · p.2961 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you all for the comments on Jed.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1       2       3              2960      
       2962              5885       5886       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2960