Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2956      
       2958              4182       4183       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2957 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This mornings critique of my images leads me to a question for everyone who frequents this thread, and something Scott and I talked about when he paid me a visit. Should we start being more critical on each others images in an effort to help improve our photography? Maybe we can just ask for it by saying C&C welcomed when we post images. There's some very talented photogs on this thread that I know I can benefit from. Or would this take away from the main purpose of this thread? Something to think about.

Jun 21, 2013 at 09:08 PM
lucdeschepper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2957 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Bokeh of the f1.4 looks much more even, perhaps due to more and/or more circular shaped aperture blades. The bokeh of the f2 shows less even cat eye shape already in the center and in the corners. I'm a big fan of smooth bokeh so I prefer the f1.4 here.

P.S.
Thanks for the nice comment.

Jun 21, 2013 at 09:10 PM
deang001
• • •
p.2957 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice to see some Ferrari & Alfa lovers on the thread. I particularly love Alfas !!

Taken with the 50/1.2 Ai-S

DSC_5995 by deang0001, on Flickr

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM
deang001
• • •
p.2957 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
This mornings critique of my images leads me to a question for everyone who frequents this thread, and something Scott and I talked about when he paid me a visit. Should we start being more critical on each others images in an effort to help improve our photography? Maybe we can just ask for it by saying C&C welcomed when we post images. There's some very talented photogs on this thread that I know I can benefit from. Or would this take away from the main purpose of this thread? Something to think about.

Yes please !! Brilliant idea.

Curtis gave me a few hints about what he did to my B&W image last week and I implemented what he had to say about channels to my other B&W images and was very pleased.

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM
bruni
• • •
p.2957 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Mark, enjoy your trip and look forward to seeing more images from the Lieutenant's land! Very nice images in this set, the first of the flower and the last one of your son are the best!

+1

Mark - love that one of your son

ben

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM
bruni
• • •
p.2957 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Nice rendering, Philip!

50 1.8 wo :

WOW Phillippe - how do you get so close without someone thumping you? It's great the way you've got it overexposed - and, in a departure for you, low contrast/very little black.

ben

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2957 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just some brief notes after looking at the last few pages:

Scott, the bridge is a wonderful subject and I really like your "takes" on it.

Luc, I really enjoy your contributions here.

Leighton, "2295-7" is the best processing of this fine landscape-shot in my opinion.
The rendering of darker green-tones was never "eye-like" with all the Nikon DSLR's I own or have owned.
Many times carefully adjusted colors "go south" if converted for web-display, that's one of the reasons why I prefer to post B&W-images here ;-)

Philip, the E-type looks great in B&W, very nice image of this iconic car.

Philippe, love your almost surreal photograph of the woman alone on the place.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2957 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A quick shot from today, framing is too tight, there was a disturbing sign at the left that made me shoot closer than initially intended:

bronce-sculpture "ship-builder" and old steam-tug, PC-E 45/2.8D at full aperture

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:24 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2957 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

"Lucy...you got some splaining to do"
Georg,
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I just can not wrap my head around this image. The chest is in focus, but the right arm isn't, and then the boat in the background is in focus, but all are on the same plane. (don't look at the punctuation of that horrible few lines) I don't think any amount of tilt or shift can do that...can it? How did you do that?

EDIT...Oh snap....I think I figured it out. Weird, my impression that bronze was Tilted to the plane was due to the shadows, but his right arm is in front of the plane of focus.

georgms wrote:
A quick shot from today, framing is too tight, there was a disturbing sign at the left that made me shoot closer than initially intended:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2844/9104265362_fd4c272422_c.jpg
bronce-sculpture "ship-builder" and old steam-tug, PC-E 45/2.8D at full aperture

Edited on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2957 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

I have resisted including critique of anyone's images (as least that I can remember) unless they overtly asked for help/opinion/critique.

I figure it might hurt feelings if a critique is not asked for . . . and I also feel that my images have many imperfections and thus am not really qualified to render and critique-like opinions. I.e., I only generally say positive things about others images otherwise I keep my mouth shut.

Fortunately the folks who participate in this thread operate at a very high level IMHO and thus I find it to be very few times that I'd even consider offering an un-solicited critique.

By all means though, if you want suggestions, please say so and I'd be happy to throw my 2 cents of opinion around.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

georgms
• • • •
p.2957 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
"Lucy...you got some splaining to do"
Georg,
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I just can not wrap my head around this image. The chest is in focus, but the right arm isn't, and then the boat in the background is in focus, but all are on the same plane. (don't look at the punctuation of that horrible few lines) I don't think any amount of tilt or shift can do that...can it? How did you do that?

EDIT...Oh snap....I think I figured it out. Weird, my impression that bronze was Tilted to the plane was due to
...Show more

James, sorry for the confusion ;-)
It's pretty simple: full tilt (or "swing", this might be the proper technical correct term, but I'm not sure).
The PC-E 45 is an amazing lens, I have this one for some days now and try to shoot with it as much as possible to get a "feel" for the amazing capabilities it is offering the nut behind the camera ;-)
This lens is very, very contrasty - this might explain why the in-focus areas look so sharp defined.
Sometimes I apply a diagonal tilt/swing, which works fine for certain subjects in my opinion.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2957 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
I have resisted including critique of anyone's images (as least that I can remember) unless they overtly asked for help/opinion/critique.

I figure it might hurt feelings if a critique is not asked for . . . and I also feel that my images have many imperfections and thus am not really qualified to render and critique-like opinions. I.e., I only generally say positive things about others images otherwise I keep my mouth shut.

Fortunately the folks who participate in this thread operate at a very high level IMHO and thus I find it to be very few times that I'd even consider
...Show more

Following this discussion I feel a bit (or more than just "a bit") guilty for some rather unqualified remarks, critics or suggestions.
I can just hope that non of my replies hurt a fellow photographers feelings, the very last thing I wanna do is to spoil somebodies joy of taking pictures or discuss this wonderful hobby.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2957 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I for one welcome critique. It's the only way I grow.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2957 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Nice rendering, Philip!

50 1.8 wo :

Very nice Philippe. Love the pastel like background.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2957 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Sorry for the repeat images. But it sometimes pays to get others opinions such as I received this morning. After getting the recommendations, I re-edited the image. I can't believe how far off I was on the original seen here.

I'm still not sure if it's "right", but I like this version better.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5464/9101631573_41525a609c_c.jpg
TLW_2295-7 by Leighton W, on Flickr

Thanks for the critique by all that replied earlier.

Very nice Leighton. I like this version the best. The colors look most natural and you were able to bring out some detail in the dark green foreground.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2957 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
Yes please !! Brilliant idea.

Curtis gave me a few hints about what he did to my B&W image last week and I implemented what he had to say about channels to my other B&W images and was very pleased.

As you know Leighton, I am in favor of this. Like you suggest, when someone posts an image(s), if they would like to solicit critique, they can state C&C welcomed. I can certainly use the help.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2957 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2844/9104265362_fd4c272422_c.jpg

Very nice Georg. Wonderful contrast and b&w conversion.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2957 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Regarding critiques... when this thread began I was wary both of critiques of photos and detailed reviews of lenses because either can cause the eye to glaze over, the mouth to become dry and the viewer head for the woods. What has transpired over the almost three years this conversation has been going is the we've attracted a group of folks much dedicated to these lenses who tend to be generous and kind with their comments. We have a few rock stars who generally contribute stellar images to the mix and quite a few very competent photographers eager to improve skills. From my perspective, seeing excellent work is in itself an inspiration and motivation for me to do better.

What I've seen in comments on specific photos is that by an large they are supportive of the efforts of the person who posted the images. I don't see ANY mean spirited comments despite the fact on occasion we've had folks drop by who are having great difficulty getting images in focus when they have to turn the focusing ring themselves. I wouldn't want our celebration of these fine lenses to become distorted by comments and critiques that would drive folks away. That said, I appreciate the conversations about processing and the more detailed evaluations of lenses that appear. I think we're mature enough as a group that when someone wishes comments, as Leighton did today, we can offer feedback that might prove useful. My comments to Dean about his first Sliver Efex Pro conversions were not exactly solicited but he was talking about the challenges of learning the software. What I shared was intended to help him in that process. I consider Dean a good friend even if we've never met in person and wouldn't dream of demeaning his work. I hope that was evident in how I handled by suggestions.

So long as we continue to treat one another with respect and kindness, I believe we can give feedback where requested and continue to learn this wonderful craft. I can't imagine a better place to be doing that than right here.

Jun 22, 2013 at 01:03 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2957 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Ray, James, Leighton, Samy, and Jay for the comments.

James, I have visited many covered bridges and this was my first arched one I have seen.

Leighton, I did a search under Falling Spring Falls in Google images. There are some that show people at the bottom but I am not sure how they got there. It was not obvious when we were there.

There are some terrific rails-to-trails in the "Land of Leighton". We had the opportunity to ride a couple of these. The following were taken on the Virginia Creeper Trail. All taken with the 50 1.4 SC. As always, comments and critique is welcome.

Jun 22, 2013 at 01:11 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2957 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

As a general comment, although we've been given powerful tools with which to work on images, there is always the risk of over-processing an image and thereby losing the freshness of the scene depicted. I recall my embarrassment as my post processing skills improved and I looked back at some of the early work I'd posted on TrekEarth. I recall replacing one such image that when I first posted seemed just fine. With a later version of Photoshop I went back to the image and reworked it. The conditions were surely challenging, shooting a long distance in midday sunlight. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would have done as Georg suggests, and converted the image to black and white where I have much greater control of light. Though the second image was better, it was still compromised.

I really believe less is more when it comes to post processing, though I'm completely willing to use all the tools at my disposal. We truly learn by doing.

Jun 22, 2013 at 01:23 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password