Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2935      
       2937              3819       3820       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2936 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
That would be a good idea ... even a "search thread" function would be nice.

I guess the only sort of way to have something remotely like a sticky would be for Curtis to add links in the first post ... just a thought. I've seen this done effectively in other forums where the thread gets massive.

There's some extremely useful info in this thread and I have seen this thread referred to in other sites such as DPR and the like when questions about MF lenses come up.

That's a great idea Dean. But it would take a bit of work for Curtis. Imagine though, if we had the tests from Jose and the others who've done them, not to mention the reviews, how much help this would be to everyone interested in Nikon MF lenses. It would be one of if not the best resource on the internet for these lenses!

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM
deang001
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2936 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Trying to learn Silver Efex ... I found some tutorials but I'm too lazy Just starting with the neutral setting and experimenting.

These are from Siem Reap, Cambodia .. posted these or very similar before I think. All taken with the 180/2.8 Ai-S.

The 180/2.8 is a heavy lens to carry on vacation, but it always seems to take my favourite images. It's so worth carrying around.

DSC_2451.B&W by deang0001, on Flickr

DSC_2444.B&W by deang0001, on Flickr

DSC_1971.B&W by deang0001, on Flickr

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2936 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
That would be a good idea ... even a "search thread" function would be nice.

I guess the only sort of way to have something remotely like a sticky would be for Curtis to add links in the first post ... just a thought. I've seen this done effectively in other forums where the thread gets massive.

There's some extremely useful info in this thread and I have seen this thread referred to in other sites such as DPR and the like when questions about MF lenses come up.

stickies are a feature of forum software. They seem to be possible on this board, but are quite rare. The vote for assignment winners threads are an example. Administrators set the sticky thread value.

To find things in this thread, I sometimes take the main thread URL and use that in Google to restrict my results (e.g. search term followed by site :http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565)

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:07 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2936 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ray, Samy and Leighton.

Leighton, a very partial solution is my set on flickr with all my tests:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/sets/

Philip, loved the umbrella isolation;

Dean, great work with the 180/2.8 ED.

Yesterday we made a short "expedition" on my University campus to capture epiphytes images. I used almost exclusively Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5:

_D6A3170 by labecoaves, on Flickr

Leaf details of a fern epiphyte; I suppose the zoom was at > 100mm position.
D600 = Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5 ais hand held, ISO 500, f/8 at 1/320s; ~15% cropped.

Edited on Jun 14, 2013 at 04:31 PM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:08 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2936 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Ray, Samy and Leighton.

Leighton, a very partial solution is my set on flickr with all my tests:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/sets/

Philip, loved the umbrella isolation;

Dean, great work with the 180/2.8 ED.

Yesterday we made a short "expedition" on my University campus to capture epyphites images. I used almost exclusively Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5327/9037101035_ca49a0e026_b.jpg
_D6A3170 by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 = Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5 ais hand held, ISO 500, f/8 at 1/320s; ~15% cropped.

Beautifiul Jose, I want to move to Brasil, or Toronto, or Sidney, or Aix en Provence, or Piemonte, maybe Barcelona, or Hong Kong, or good old Frisco, Tampa? ..... Escondido is too Escondido.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:30 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2936 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Have to go to the Post office and get the 'new' 5.8cm. In the meantime some old shots I think were never posted before as they were set to private on flickr, but are now declassified , the LPD 20 USS Green Bay arriving for the first time to San Diego a couple of years back, 50-300mm ED, raining, D3. I did get a lot of attention pointing my bigger lenses towards Naval Air Station North Island, but nothing a friendly conversation with the park rangers would not settle, I keep saying that the 50-300mm is the ideal can't move around medium to large event lens, its image quality is as good as anything else I know,

Taken from point loma, cabrillo national monument, tip of San Diego bay, that is mr Cabrillo on the right, he broke a leg on one of the channel islands and died shortly after.

LPD 20 arriving _005_San Diego by Rafael CA, on Flickr

LPD 20 arriving _006_San Diego by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The black marks on the side are Panama canal Scratches, they were quicly buffed out on arrival

LPD 20 arriving _010_San Diego by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on Jun 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:48 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2936 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton and Jose!

Dean, how do you like Silver efex? For now I'm content to play around with the black and white tools in Aperture, but I figure it's a case of not knowing what I'm missing out on.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:15 PM
LarryM
• •
p.2936 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

All of my Series E's are like new and for a total investment of less than $100 for 3 lenses I figured I couldn't go wrong. The 100mm is a great lens when used with my Nikon 1 V1. It becomes a very light weight 270mm f/2.8.

jhinkey wrote:
I just sold my 100/2.8 Series E - too many 100-ish primes about, so this one had to go.

105/2.5 AIS
90/3.5 CV AI-P
135/3.5 and 135/2 AIS

I was kind of saving the 100/2.8E for my m43 GH-2, but I needed to clear thing up a bit.

I did buy an F-to-m43 mount converter so I could use my Nikkors on my GH-2 - especially for video as I absolutely hate using my D800 for video unless it's on a tripod . . .

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:44 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2936 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
I keep saying that the 50-300mm is the ideal can,t move around medium to large event lens, its image quality is as good as anything else I know,

Rafael,
I remember pressing my nose against the photo shop window in the 1980s when I first saw this impressive lens. Because of budget considerations I later bought a Tokina 50-250mm instead, which I used for many years and just recently gave to a friend. Clearly not the same class of glass, but it was in my budget and delivered thousands of decent images when having a long zoom range was key. Later I used the Canon 35-350 L lens a lot, which on that platform became my favorite walk around lens. However, I do prefer the handling of push-pull zooms when I actually use them.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2936 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Phillippe - I like the Palais image a lot

Ronny - lock up your daughter! Beautiful pics

Curtis - another perfect rose

Larry - welcome and a great start

Ron - I like the frog a lot

Philip - how much of that flare is due to the lens and how much due to the angle of the sun. #2 is very good. The B&W houses is well seen and captured

Georg - the latest series is great and the sculpture interesting

Jose - the leaf patterns would be amazing as a mcro shot!

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MarkdV
• • •
p.2936 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Have to go to the Post office and get the 'new' 5.8cm. In the meantime some old shots I think were never posted before as they were set to private on flickr, but are now declassified , the LPD 20 USS Green Bay arriving for the first time to San Diego a couple of years back, 50-300mm ED, raining, D3.

Nice shots Rafael,

That lens holds up a lot of detail

I did get a lot of attention pointing my bigger lenses towards Naval Air Station North Island, but nothing a friendly conversation with the park rangers would not settle, I keep saying that the 50-300mm is the ideal can,t move around medium to large event lens, its image quality is as good as anything else I know,

Amazing how many things can be much better settled with a friendly conversation than any other method.

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:41 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2936 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few from the 180mm f2.8 - it's a fantastic lens! I hope tomorrow or Sunday to try it to try some Ronny style damselfly shots.

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:43 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2936 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philip nice work with the 50mm 1.2
Dean very cool shots especially the last one
Jose the patterns in those leaves are amazing. Nice capture
Rafael that last shot is super special
Mark that last shot really shines!

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:04 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2936 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dean - Love your set from Cambodia!

Mark - Nice looking Peacock.

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:18 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2936 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'd like to remind folks who find particular posts useful or inspiring, that you can always bookmark the post and maintain your own folder to easily access them. Of course, this subject always raises the intriguing possibility of creating a wiki that focuses on such things. We haven't gotten there so I trust we still find FM a suitable location for this conversation. There are so many things to like about this website that I couldn't image moving anywhere else. I guess we could say "it it ain't broke... don't try to fix it." Yes, we seem to have a bit of a reputation with references to this thread appearing on other photography site. While we can't offer a well organized presentation about these great lenses, we certainly offer a friendly place where folks who are curious can explore. I'm in conversation with someone at the moment who has followed this thread from the beginning. Although he hasn't made an appearance, he's slowly built a kit of MF Nikkors and is enjoying them immensely. I've no doubt that those who actually participate on this thread represent a small minority of those who actually follow it and rely on opinions expressed here in both words and photos. Well done everyone!

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2936 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton... shouldn't you be out helping Barbara harvest produce for the tomorrow's market? Are you slacking off again?

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:26 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2936 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dean, I'm with you man. I have a hard time picking up an instructional manual or searching out videos. I guess I've learned the lesson that with non-destructive processing I can make a thousand mistakes and still recover from them. After using recommended styles on SEP I began experimenting as you are doing. We are very fortunate that we have Georg participating on this thread because he is both a very fine photographer, but his post processing skills are exceptional and he loves using Silver Efex Pro. Simply seeing what he's done can lead me to try different approaches to processing. So we learn by doing. Nothing could be finer. I definitely am enjoying your play thus far, though that first set of images felt a bit dark to me. The 180 yields enough contrast that even though the set above is a bit dark as well, they work for me. I'm just delighted you found time in your busy schedule to hang out with us once again. Your absence is always noted...

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:34 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2936 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is what you call putting a dent in my lens budget! Or this really sucks. The leaning walnut finally succumbed to all the rain. It was growing into the bank of the creek behind the house and leaning considerably. I thought about having it cut down. I forget that thought. 16mm 3.5 Fish on the D7000

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2936 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, Leighton and Peter from Knysna - thanks for your comments on my recent shots!

Dean and Curtis, Silver Efex is a wonderful tool, it's well worth spending some time to learn how to use it. I have yet to learn a lot when it comes to B&W-processing, but it's great fun for me.
That said, I will try to find a good in-camera B&W-setting for a more homogeneous look (will try to shoot some entry-level street-stuff). So far my results when using Silver Efex are too mixed (different tonings, borders, styles).

Dean, I like your set from Siem Reap a lot. Just like Curtis I find the tones a bit too dark. If you have any questions about Silver Efex, please write me a PM or contact me via Flickr. I'm not an expert, but have played with SEP2 for a year now ;-)
The 180/2.8ED is one of my favorite MF-Nikkors right now. In my opinion my converted Apo-Telyt-R 180/3.4 is a better performer, but it doesn't handle well on my Nikons.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2936 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mark, very nice work with the 180! I like especially the last shot - well done!

Rafael, nice to see a ship among all the flowers and birds here A high-quality zoom like your 50-300 works perfectly for shoots like this. Do they have to use a special "stealth"-paint to "buff out" the canal marks?

Jose, thanks for your 85mm-bokeh-test! The fern epiphyte looks great in this light.

Philip, as usual very nice work with your 50/1.2: "Black&White" is well seen and captured, the umbrella kinda funny - it seems to be pretty dry ;-)

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password