Nice shot on at Rabbit Samy
Nice set John
Great shot Jose

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:27 PM
MarkdV
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2935 #2 · p.2935 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Unfortunately I was away this weekend and have only just caught up on the 15+ pages added over the Friday / weekend. I am amazed at the great shots added, far too many to compliment individually but this weekend saw some amazing stuff being added and I am in awe of the talent on display.
I am even more in awe of the great sharing of tips, suggestions, help offered and also the meaningful stories shared by Chuong and Kevin and others over the weekend. As Jose mentioned, there are some jerks out there who write and then think but on this thread there is nothing but respect from a great bunch of ladies and gentlemen.
I'm sorry there isn't time to write a response to all the photos that were added because they all deserve individual praise but I hope that all keep sharing as generously.

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:19 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2935 #3 · p.2935 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well I finally bit the bullet and cleaned & done some little maintenance on a 85mm 1.8 K lens that was very generously given to me by Steven (username 'stevenvh'). I intended to get a professional to look at it, but that turned into quite a long story so i gave up and did it myself.

Thanks to some DIY rescue advise it now works and I'd like to share some of the images from this beauty with you.

Steven - please don't forget I owe you a coffee when you are next in Zurich!

The Shard - London

Flowers at Penhurst castle

The garden of heraldry at Penhurst

Lily

Swallow in front of a Tudor house

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:26 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2935 #4 · p.2935 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Well I finally bit the bullet and cleaned & done some little maintenance on a 85mm 1.8 K lens that was very generously given to me by Steven (username 'stevenvh'). I intended to get a professional to look at it, but that turned into quite a long story so i gave up and did it myself.

Thanks to some DIY rescue advise it now works and I'd like to share some of the images from this beauty with you.

Steven - please don't forget I owe you a coffee when you are next in Zurich!

These are really nice, I really like the lily.

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:42 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2935 #5 · p.2935 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two more from the 85mm and then I promise I'll stop.

This is my little lad on his second birthday. Perhaps there something the makers of the sign didn't consider would be a common issue with their target audience…

The second is just a bit of mucking about on a night too hot to sleep.

The third is just enjoying the 85mm too much to stop. I have 2 versions of this shot, one with the little girl running in the background. I can't decide if I like the background interest or it's distracting. Any thoughts?

A pity he can't read.

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2935 #6 · p.2935 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
T
Wow, I am appalled by the degree of unprovoked aggressivity some guys deliver at other threads outside of ours.
I have already posted nearly 99% of the time here, but from now on I will post exclusively here or in the tubes thread.

Jose, your photos are head and shoulders above your critic's. He seems to regard himself as the Nikon guru and what he posts is mediocre, particularly since he seems to have some nice kit .....even if it is AF and VR

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:02 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2935 #7 · p.2935 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
My limited experience was that it does lock on and track, but I don't get to release the shutter. That could very well be user error. For example, I have no idea what buttons change the AF mode on the body, and in the menu I tried both, release on focus and release on release, which I figured is what I wanted (fire anyway, even if the lens isn't 100% sure of focus). But there were times I clearly had the lens lock on the subject and track it, but I could not release the shutter. Saved me a few
...Show more

Peter, very nice pics - still don't know how anyone can shoot 1000 pics in a month let alone an afternoon!!

Are you saying that the AF TC effectively turns an MF lens into AF at a selected range?

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:10 PM
philipj
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2935 #8 · p.2935 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I LOVE the way this lens renders. Nice shot Philipe.

Thanks Leighton! The 50mm f/1.2 AI-s for me is often a frustrating lens to use, but it does little wrong at f/2 for portraiture!

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:26 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2935 #9 · p.2935 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The Lilies looked very nice this morning. Ellie had to guard me while I shot. Taken with the 28/2.8 AIS. Reagan, thanks again for selling me this lens.

28/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:29 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2935 #10 · p.2935 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I came across some interesting and old manuals that I am going to scan. If anyone is interested in them, shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send them your way as soon as I can scan them.

I have:
Close up attachment lenses - talks about the No. 0 ~ No. 2 and has the working distance info for a variety of lenses.

Nikkormat FTn Instruction Manual

Micro-Nikkor-P Auto 55mm f/3.5 Instruction manual

I will try and get these scanned today and will have them in PDF format.

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2935 #11 · p.2935 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I believe Peter that one particular teleconverter, the TC-16A that allows the user to automatic focus with MF lenses. Here's a review of the teleconverter that explains its limitations. I believe both Peter from Madison and Samy have copies.

http://www.momentcorp.com/review/nikon_tc-16a.html

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:37 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2935 #12 · p.2935 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Peter, very nice pics - still don't know how anyone can shoot 1000 pics in a month let alone an afternoon!!

Are you saying that the AF TC effectively turns an MF lens into AF at a selected range?

Peter,

how can I shoot that many in a day? simple: lots of cars, 64GB in SD cards in the bag, and each session different cars to shoot, and that went on for most of the day, with paddock photos in between. I shoot them every time they come by because you have no time to review the shots from the lap before to see if they were in the focus zone.

frame 3008 was at 9:51:56 am
frame 3045 was at 9:53.53 am one lap later when the same car came around again.

that equals one roll of film per lap - I must confess in the film days I rarely ever did that, but then it cost a lot of cash to shoot that much, so I tried to only shot cars that "mattered" - and I didn't shoot the old 6fps trigger style either - each car is one single distinctive click in the pre-focused zone - racing is just a subject that offers a lot of click opportunities

Two additional reasons - I had no time to go back on Sunday for another day to shoot what I missed, and I wanted to see if I can get my D600 to spit some more oil before my mountain trip where I can't really bring sensor cleaning stuff along. I haven't checked yet, if I got more cleaning to do, and none of the images I took show any issues, even the 14mm at f11 stuff looks clean.

I did the math and if I went back into regular racing photography, I'd wear out a D600 shutter in about two seasons, and I'd eat up a terabyte of disk every 15 or so races.

regarding the TC-16a - yes, it has some limited AF capabilities using the camera body to drive it, so on bodies that have that little screw drive to work with old AF lenses, you can use the TC to turn lenses into AF lenses. You just need to be within the range you want to work in, because it simply cannot go from infinity to minimum focus by moving the element(s?) in the TC. You need a "modded" TC or mod it yourself to have it work on modern bodies. All that needs to be done is one pin gets swapped to a different position and a wire is connected to it.

here's another TC-16a on 600mm f4.0 shot - ISO 400 f/8 on the lens, 1/640s monopod from easily 200 feet away outside the spectator fence where the golf carts drive by. I think this was done with manual focus, though

The shot below was definitely done with the TC doing the focus work - it's a lot harder to get cars in a focus zone when you're almost level with them and they drive away from you after just zipping into your viewfinder from the side. By the time you react they are usually somewhere else. The TC-16a has some trouble tracking away from you and again, you have to watch out that you are pre-focused in an area that allows the AF to do the work. with all these cars going by, I obviously get ample opportunity to track them to test my settings.

f/8.0 1/500s ISO 400 plus TC-16a, cropped a little, too, so you're looking at a 1000mm plus perspective

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2935 #13 · p.2935 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I love how wide ranging the conversations on this thread are, from the personal to the technical. Love your explanation Peter of the world of racing and how images are created and used. Loved the discussion about putting seals in older film cameras. Definitely Kevin, when you change seals on your latest gift camera please take some photos and share them with us.

Looking at that famous poster that showed all the elements of the system created by Nikon I'm in awe. I love the fact that some among us are experimenting with different pieces of the system. I don'd know of anyone using a bellows for micro work but just about everything else has made an appearance. That the conversation returns to film cameras seems quite natural since those cameras were at the heart of the system in the early decades. That the latest DSLR cameras can utilize all that gear is quite brilliant. The possibilities for creativity seem endless, which likely means this thread will last until Fred shuts the doors on this place...

Enjoying it all!

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:51 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2935 #14 · p.2935 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Kevin, Molson, John, Curtis and Samy for the encouraging words.

Peter B, awesome race car sets with the 600/4 naked or with the TC16A; thanks for the tips on using this TC;

Zippy_monster, great capture of the bass player; is it a Heavy Metal band?

StonePhotog (Jay?), loved the Osprey shots with your 700mm f/5.6 "cannon"

Just an experiment with my humble but beloved Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI CPU'd.

Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 wide open at MFD: 3-shots focus stacked:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/9343333064_347d909c06_b.jpg
Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 wide open at MFD: 3-shots focus stacked by labecoaves, on Flickr

Unidentified forb fruits.
3-shots wide open, D7000 hand held but at
...Show more

Whoa, these look awesome! I wonder if they are safe to eat?

Jul 22, 2013 at 09:03 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2935 #15 · p.2935 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Whoa, these look awesome! I wonder if they are safe to eat?

only if covered in dark chocolate

Jul 22, 2013 at 09:07 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2935 #16 · p.2935 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This thread moves faster than Peters cars. Really enjoyed all the action shots, and very much so the details you caught between races.

I've got one from this weekend. We drove about an hour north to Selkirk, Manitoba to check out the Marine Museum: http://www.marinemuseum.ca/

Lots of cool stuff to see, I'd be happy to go back.

Jul 22, 2013 at 09:09 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2935 #17 · p.2935 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I love how wide ranging the conversations on this thread are, from the personal to the technical. Love your explanation Peter of the world of racing and how images are created and used. Loved the discussion about putting seals in older film cameras. Definitely Kevin, when you change seals on your latest gift camera please take some photos and share them with us.

Looking at that famous poster that showed all the elements of the system created by Nikon I'm in awe. I love the fact that some among us are experimenting with different pieces of the system. I don'd know
...Show more

I have a line on a bellows system. I need to sell some lenses for it though. Stay tuned for that one.

I am not tooting my horn or anything with the following statement, I just wanted to share my good fortune... I have been very fortunate when it comes to photography since stumbling onto this thread. I had my D7000 for nearly a year before I really started using it. I have one of the initial run units that had a severe oil problem and didn't want to use it. Couldn't sell it because of the bad press the oil drops gave the unit. In 6 months and 1700 shutters, I had the sensor cleaned 37 times. The final cleaning the tech was careless and scratched the sensor. The camera was sent to Nikon, the sensor was replaced and the root cause of the oil issue was resolved. Shortly thereafter I came upon this thread (thanks to Curtis and his Golden Gate bridge photos). The following week, I was given a broken Nikon FG with my Series E 50mm attached. Since then I have amassed a decent kit with all but two of the lenses given to me rather than be thrown away. Nearly all of the lenses had some sort of issue, but with care, I have repaired them all (except one, the Series E 100/2.8...still has a stuck screw and cannot get the helical uncovered because of a different stuck screw). I have been very fortunate with other gear as well. When I had money for kit building, I was usually able to find exactly what I needed/wanted for a lot less than it should have sold for. I now have a kit that I can go from nearly 4:1 magnification all they way up to 500mm (750mm once you factor in Dx). I have a bit of overlap on focal lengths, but each lens has its own character and I have found myself going out with just one or two lenses and seeing what I can get. Because of this thread, its regulars, and my good fortune in gear, I couldn't be happier in this hobby. I am hoping that with some of my newer gear, I might be able to do some more paid gigs.

So, in a nut-shell, thank you all for rekindling an old passion and being good friends in the process.

Jul 22, 2013 at 09:29 PM
adh67
• • •
p.2935 #18 · p.2935 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
The Lilies looked very nice this morning. Ellie had to guard me while I shot. Taken with the 28/2.8 AIS. Reagan, thanks again for selling me this lens.

I like it, great red/green contrast.

Bert

Jul 22, 2013 at 09:33 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2935 #19 · p.2935 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here is something some of you may have seen before and others not... Original guarantee paperwork from Nikon, circa 1970 (and my guess, late 60's too).

Nikon Guarantee by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Jul 22, 2013 at 09:40 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2935 #20 · p.2935 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

adh67 wrote:
I like it, great red/green contrast.

Bert

Thanks Bert, that's what initially caught my eye.

Jul 22, 2013 at 09:44 PM
1       2       3              2934      
       2936              5891       5892       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2934      
       2936              5891       5892       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password