1       2       3              2933      
       2935              5889       5890       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2934 #1 · p.2934 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

My first attempt saw the foam not going into the slot evenly and there were many wrinkles. I attributed this to the adhesive getting stuck to the sides as I was pushing it into the little groove. What I did to overcome this was attached a longer piece of the covering that sits on top of the adhesive and folded it under the foam with the loose end now sticking out the opposite side to where I attached it. Then I would push the foam into the groove. I would do an inch or so at a time, slowly
...Show more

that last part sounds like a good solution for the problem I encountered. I just couldn't get it into the groove before it stuck to something. Cleaning alone isn't going to work, so this method of inserting it first and then pulling back the backing may just be the ticket.

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:32 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.2934 #2 · p.2934 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
Somebody said something about long lenses a few posts ago - fresh from the CS6 shop a few that match that description: All on D600 with monopod taken at Road America on Saturday, all manual exposure. I learned that a 32GB card can hold about 980 RAW plus 980 JPEG high before the camera rolls over to the second card. The battery in the camera was done and the grip was half drained at the end of the day.

600mm f/4.0 @ f/8.0 1/800s ISO 200

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/600mmf4.0/DSC_3848_web.jpg

600mm f/4.0 @ f/16 1/500s ISO 400

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/600mmf4.0/DSC_3047_web.jpg

600mm f/4.0 @ f/8.0 1/640s ISO 200

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/600mmf4.0/DSC_3888_web.jpg

600mm f/4.0 @ f/11
...Show more

Awesome shots. Reminds me that I really should pay a visit to the Nürburgring once finish moving. It´ll be less the 60 miles from where I live then.

That DTM Audi A4 photo is awesome.

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:33 PM
StonePhotog
• •
p.2934 #3 · p.2934 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Jose!

That's a really cool shot you posted. I don't think I'd be able to keep still long enough to change the focus without shifting the perspective, but maybe one can correct for slight movements in post.

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:34 PM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2934 #4 · p.2934 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I have replaced the foam on one camera and did an OK job of it. There didn't appear to be any light leaks and it sealed well. When I get around do doing Harold, I will document the process and post it. I have read a dozen different articles and have found a couple techniques that I seem to favor. From the one I did, I used probably 30 Q-Tips and about 1/4 cup of 90% rubbing alcohol. I got every trace of the old goop off. Then I used compressed air to gently blow out crevices and tight areas.
...Show more

Don't buy the crappy foam replacement kits from eBay... get in touch with Jon Goodman and order one of his kits. His foam strips don't need adhesive and are much better quality, and he also provides a handy tool for cleaning the slots and installing the new foam.

You can contact Jon at: [email protected]

If you do insist on using the foam stirps with adhesive backing, the trick is to slightly wet the adhesive before installing so it doesn't stick to the sides of the slot as much and is a little easier to position.

Edited on Jul 22, 2013 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:41 PM
adh67
• • •
p.2934 #5 · p.2934 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
Bert, did you use gels on the strobes? The colors are too surreal for me to imagine a setup that could do this without a little help on the light source. Love them - makes me want to pull the old fish tank out of the basement and drop things into it again.

Hi Peter

I did not use gels directly on the the flash, but what I did to get this type of light was position a remote flash behind the Purple and Yellow back ground that I had printed out. that created the backlighted effect and nice color. I had a second flash attached to the camera with a cord and aimed at the ceiling mostly to trigger the remote slave , and to add a little light to the drops.

I was pretty much playing around with different light set ups, and this gave the best results.

Bert

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:48 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2934 #6 · p.2934 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67 wrote:
Hi Peter

I did not use gels directly on the the flash, but what I did to get this type of light was position a remote flash behind the Purple and Yellow back ground that I had printed out. that created the backlighted effect and nice color. I had a second flash attached to the camera with a cord and aimed at the ceiling mostly to trigger the remote slave , and to add a little light to the drops.

I was pretty much playing around with different light set ups, and this gave the best results.

Bert

Those are all very cool shots, would love to see a setup picture. I have always wanted to try my hand to get those kind of shots.

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:58 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2934 #7 · p.2934 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

StonePhotog wrote:
Thanks Jose!

That's a really cool shot you posted. I don't think I'd be able to keep still long enough to change the focus without shifting the perspective, but maybe one can correct for slight movements in post.

Thank you. In fact if you use the burst mode of the camera at the maximum speed (would say 5-6 shots per second) then I think virtually no (or negligible) horizontal/vertical shifts are visible.
Ideally, however, a tripod is advisable when we plan to make focus stacking.

Edited on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM · View previous versions

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:59 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2934 #8 · p.2934 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Big Bore motors and oven-pipe sized exhausts on this set of cars

All 600mm f/4.0 AIS shot at f/5.6 1/500s ISO 400, no TC, slight crops but less than a DX body would have caused. All taken within 90 seconds, and I am skipping a number of nice frames to keep the post down to a manageable number of images. In the end, they are all about the same thing anyway. Got 8 different Corvettes in that lap alone. so much for needing auto focus to nail the shots...

1971 Corvette

1965 Cobra

1965 Corvette

1969 Camaro Z28

Looks like an early 70s Camaro to me, wasn't on the entry list

another 1969 Camaro Z28

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:03 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2934 #9 · p.2934 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Those are all very cool shots, would love to see a setup picture. I have always wanted to try my hand to get those kind of shots.

you know there's a Gavin Hoey how-to video on youtube just for water drops?

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:07 PM
adh67
• • •
p.2934 #10 · p.2934 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
+2, I'm not much of a car guy anymore, but that was a great collection. Could have posted all 50+ and I'd have been happy!

+3 I meant to comment on those. Great series, the colors really pop.

Bert

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

adh67
• • •
p.2934 #11 · p.2934 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Jose, that's a pretty cool looking image! It's a beautiful fruit whatever it is.

+1 great color.

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:11 PM
StonePhotog
• •
p.2934 #12 · p.2934 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you. In fact if you use the burst mode of the camera at the maximum speed (would say 5-6 shots per second) then I think virtually no (or negligible) shift is visible.

Makes sense, but then how does the focus shift during the burst of shots? Forgive my ignorance, and yes, I can Google that and find the answer, but I'm curious to know how you're doing it.

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:14 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2934 #13 · p.2934 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

StonePhotog wrote:
Makes sense, but then how does the focus shift during the burst of shots? Forgive my ignorance, and yes, I can Google that and find the answer, but I'm curious to know how you're doing it.

Thanks!

I assume he moves the camera, rather than changing the lens focus - I do that a lot with the 55mm f/1.2 when shooting wide open, because I can't really see where the focus is nor can you use the confirm dot with certainty - so I just lean my body closer as I fire away at 6fps, one of the shot is gonna be close

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:28 PM
designdog
• •
p.2934 #14 · p.2934 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter:

Dumb and naive question only someone with layout experience would ask: many of your car shots show the cars at an angle. This certainly contributes to a feeling of action, but I wonder if it is simply a given due to your location/angle of the track, or something you do with the camera in shooting, or cropping in post.

I owned a new 1980 911SC, bought in November 1979. By December, 1979, I had 3 speeding tickets of ridiculous dimensions: 55 in a 45, and the like. We have the point system in Virginia. By January, 1980, I had a BMW 530i. Never had a speeding ticket since. God, I miss that Porsche!

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:37 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2934 #15 · p.2934 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
Looks like an early 70s Camaro to me, wasn't on the entry list

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/600mmf4.0/DSC_3028_web.jpg

Looks like a 1970, 10 verticals in the grill.

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:39 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2934 #16 · p.2934 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Detail shots and fuzzy blurry stuff (my definition for bokeh). I love the 55mm f/1.2 - definitely something that was missing in my camera bag that has opened up a whole different way of viewing things, especially when it comes to shooting in cluttered environments.

all these are 55mm f/1.2 Nikkor S on D600 at ISO 100

1970 Porsche 917K f/1.2 1/4000s

1970 Porsche 917K f/2.8 1/2000s

1975 McLaren M23 f/1.2 1/2000s

1997 Benetton B197 f/1.2 1/1600s

same car, f/1.4 1/800s

2006 DTM Audi f/1.2 1/160s

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:47 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2934 #17 · p.2934 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Peter:

Dumb and naive question only someone with layout experience would ask: many of your car shots show the cars at an angle. This certainly contributes to a feeling of action, but I wonder if it is simply a given due to your location/angle of the track, or something you do with the camera in shooting, or cropping in post.

I owned a new 1980 911SC, bought in November 1979. By December, 1979, I had 3 speeding tickets of ridiculous dimensions: 55 in a 45, and the like. We have the point system in Virginia. By January, 1980, I had a BMW
...Show more

David,, the angle thing is just a way to make it look more interesting - old two-page magazine shooting style, when the editor wanted some space in the corners to put text over the full bleed image, I guess. Sometimes it also allows you to include elements such as the apex of the corner or just the tire markings on the pavement to round out the composition. There's not much to work with in terms of composition and sweeping lines on the edges help a lot if you can get them into the frame. You also want to be tight to retain the quality and do this in camera, rather than in post, although with 24MB these days I guess I could have cheated and just shot the 300mm and done all this in Photoshop, but what fun would that be? All the local newspaper pros around me were doing that

Flat rectangular shots don't work too well when looking down at a corner. I don't even think about that very much, except maybe "should I have the car leaning like it is banked or completely off kilter as if the corner was paved with crazy negative camber. In the end, when you shoot the same thing over and over again, you start playing around with what you have available, and tilting the frame is one such thing. I like to shoot real tight, too, and that sometimes forces me to go at an angle to get enough of the car in the frame to relate the sense of car (need a tire in there somewhere). Didn't get close enough this weekend without media pass to do that, though.

I never owned a fast car (a good thing, given I grew up a motorhead in Germany next to a car factory...). I found one outlet of those urges in the online racing simulator called iRacing. I think I crashed enough virtual cars that some country's budget wouldn't be able to fund my team

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:57 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2934 #18 · p.2934 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

StonePhotog wrote:

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion. In fact I was talking about lateral (sides) or vertical (up - down) shift; while shooting you move the camera slightly (forward or backwards) to change focus point; in a sequence of 5-6 shots / second you have possibly some 3-4 with different focus.
But as I told before, best way is to use a tripod, but often I am lazy to use one, except for superteles

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:08 PM
designdog
• •
p.2934 #19 · p.2934 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter:

Thanks for the response. Pretty much thought that was it. Great photographs!

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:10 PM
StonePhotog
• •
p.2934 #20 · p.2934 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

while shooting you move the camera slightly (forward or backwards) to change focus point; in a sequence of 5-6 shots / second you have possibly some 3-4 with different focus. But as I told before, best way is to use a tripod, but often I am lazy to use one, except for superteles

Cool, thanks Jose (and Peter!) for the information. Given how shaky my hands are I'll give this a try with a tripod here in the near future.

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password