Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2888      
       2890              4374       4375       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2889 #1 · p.2889 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great images everyone.

Philippe, like the b&w lamp image.

Ronny, the ducklings are very cute.

Kevin, the colors in the brown-eyed susan are great.

Peter, nice old train loco and station image.

Ray, wonderful butterfly image.

Leighton, great images from the farm market and of the haying.

Curtis, beautiful lens collection.

Jeff, great twilight image. Nice colors.

Samy, nice series.

Georg, I like the Georg Buchner image. The wood power boat in the foreground is sweet.

May 28, 2013 at 12:53 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2889 #2 · p.2889 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rusty old railroad bridge converted to a trail. Taken with the 50 1.4 SC. Thanks for looking.
Scott

May 28, 2013 at 01:34 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2889 #3 · p.2889 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ahhhh . . . . haven't had any good old rust in a while! Very nice Scott.

May 28, 2013 at 01:56 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2889 #4 · p.2889 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
That's a great idea, though I'd likely have to give them away because I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to buy one.

Your name came up a moment ago as I refreshing a list I keep of MF lens purchases. I note in the list where the lens came from and I was having difficulty getting the numbers to add up correctly until I realized that ONE lens came to me via a recommendation from you that led me to a Seattle camera store where I bought the 400 f/5.6 ED-IF AI-s lens. Thanks again John. The floppy hood is
...Show more

I'm thinking that perhaps a better piece of apparel would be a baseball cap, or perhaps a coffee mug, or perhaps a tattoo for the truly afflicted . . . .

May 28, 2013 at 01:59 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2889 #5 · p.2889 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, love #2 and #3.

May 28, 2013 at 01:59 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2889 #6 · p.2889 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another shot from Friday night: 45/2.8P hand held pano from a different viewpoint of downtown Seattle early in the evening before the lights came on in the buildings.

Would have taken more from this area, but the creeps come out when the sun goes down and I didn't feel like exposing my camera bag with $5K worth of gear in it . . .

45/2.8 AI-P @ f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/250 sec on a D800

John

Actually got out into the mountains yesterday, but it was going to be a tough slog in some potentially nasty weather, so the heavy FX gear stayed at home - not worth carrying it if there would be nothing to see for the most part. Instead the (sorry!) m43 gear went along:

http://hinkey.zenfolio.com/p193626793

Three guys, one very experienced, got caught in an avalanche near the top in this very same spot about a 5 weeks ago with the experienced guy being killed and buried. They fell about 1,300 ft down the mountain - they just found his body two weeks ago. Always have to be careful out there . . .

May 28, 2013 at 02:27 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2889 #7 · p.2889 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Brought the film camera to one of the arboretums here, also put the D3 in the bag. Longest lens I had with me was the 105 f/2.5. Went to climb the tower there to get my bird's eye view shots. Got those done, was talking to someone who also climbed the tower, and he was telling me about the deer he got pictures of a couple weeks ago, from the tower. He leaves, I continue looking out the tower, don't see any deer, and finally go down, and start walking the path back to the parking lot. What looked like a bird house down low caught my eye, so I went over to look at it a little closer, and discovered it is actually a bee nesting block. No bees came out of it, so all well and good. Turned to leave, and found myself looking a doe not more than 20 feet from me. D3 was in the bag, without a lens on it. N90s only has black and white film on it, and the 85 f/1.4 was on it Managed to get the bag open, get the D3 out, put the 105 on it, and start shooting. The doe just kept right on munching like I wasn't even there. Finally, she crossed the path in front of me, now about 12 feet away, then sauntered down into the tall grass on the other side. Once she was far enough away, I quietly walked away totally stunned that I was that close... no crops.

Yes Leighton, I know... Sworn enemy

NightOwl Cat 2013

Peekaboo

NIKON D3    105mm    f/4.0    1/60s    2200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2013

NIKON D3    105mm    f/4.0    1/60s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2013

NIKON D3    105mm    f/4.0    1/60s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2013

NIKON D3    105mm    f/4.0    1/60s    2800 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2013

NIKON D3    105mm    f/4.0    1/60s    2800 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 28, 2013 at 02:46 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2889 #8 · p.2889 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:
I was going through some older film shots and this one, with a 105/2.5, caught my eye.

Beautiful Jeff

May 28, 2013 at 02:53 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2889 #9 · p.2889 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I just found out today that the old 35mm f/2.8 Non-AI will fit onto my D7000 without being modified. The aperture ring is very narrow and slips under the Indexing tab. So, the lens is usable completely manually. The indexing tab hits the rabbit ears, so it indexes (just not correctly). Going to see if I can use this to my advantage.

***UPDATE***

Built up a little AI stop between f11 and f16, waiting on the superglue to dry. (I am very good with glue, it is only where I want it, and totally reversible if I need to remove it.) Then
...Show more

This is how I use my 50 2 s and the 20 ud, slip under the ai tab. I just allow the ai tab to engage the rabbit ears, and dial -3 and -4 compensation respectively. The aperture does not close below f8, but that is fine with me.

May 28, 2013 at 02:58 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2889 #10 · p.2889 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Brought the film camera to one of the arboretums here, also put the D3 in the bag. Longest lens I had with me was the 105 f/2.5. Went to climb the tower there to get my bird's eye view shots. Got those done, was talking to someone who also climbed the tower, and he was telling me about the deer he got pictures of a couple weeks ago, from the tower. He leaves, I continue looking out the tower, don't see any deer, and finally go down, and start walking the path back to the parking lot. What looked
...Show more
These are awesome!!

May 28, 2013 at 03:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwoodard
• • • •
p.2889 #11 · p.2889 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Got my little tab done, but the sun had already set. Had a mild storm come though, made for some dramatic clouds.

Nikkor-S 35mm f/2.8 @f/8 (this one goes down to f/16) I like its feel a lot. Can't wait to see how it does in the sunlight.

_DSC8466 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

May 28, 2013 at 03:05 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2889 #12 · p.2889 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Brought the film camera to one of the arboretums here, also put the D3 in the bag. Longest lens I had with me was the 105 f/2.5. Went to climb the tower there to get my bird's eye view shots. Got those done, was talking to someone who also climbed the tower, and he was telling me about the deer he got pictures of a couple weeks ago, from the tower. He leaves, I continue looking out the tower, don't see any deer, and finally go down, and start walking the path back to the parking lot. What looked
...Show more

Incredible series Laura.

Well, I am greatly motivated by the discovery that the 20mm UD is very competent on the D800, So I decided to go spend the day in my favorite California mission, San Juan Capistrano. The thing is that this mission has large grounds with a beatiful ruin, a working school and a new church. Did not find the gardens as well kept as they used to be.

The original mission church was destroyed by an earthquake, and the large building adjoining were eventually abandoned, I used to spend time in Antigua Guatemala, a 100 times bigger version of these ruins, also abandoned after an earthquake, but so beautiful today.

Will do three postings, the first is just Fray Juniperro Serra in the new and the old chuch.

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano Fray Junipero Serra by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano Fray Junipero Serra old mission by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on May 28, 2013 at 04:49 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2013 at 03:18 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2889 #13 · p.2889 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And the final posting of the day, the general views of the old church and the chapel altar, just like being in Guatemala.

20mm UD on D800. incredible performance. far better at 3.5 than the 18mm 3.5 ais.

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano old mission building by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano Fray Junipero Serra old mission 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano Fray Junipero Serra old mission 4 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

this at 3.5 ISO 1600.

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano old mission chapel altar by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Check the 100% crop at 3.5 and iso 1600

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano old mission chapel altar crop center by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on May 28, 2013 at 05:17 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2013 at 04:16 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2889 #14 · p.2889 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well just one more, may not post until Friday again, this is the main courtyard, mission San Juan, most buildings are museums. 20mm UD.

I enjoyed this so much, I need to come back with the D800 and the 8mm, the 15 5.6, the 16 3.5, the 18 3.5, the 28 2.0. the 35 1.4.....

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano Courtyard Fountain by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This is what the curvarture of field does on this lens, compare near and far corners, and this is closed down, the 15 5.6 is similar, not a problem, something to manage to your advantage.

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano Courtyard Fountain far corner by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 San Juan Capistrano Courtyard Fountain near corner by Rafael CA, on Flickr

May 28, 2013 at 04:46 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2889 #15 · p.2889 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wonderful set of images Rafael. What a wonderful place to shoot. I have a friend who lives in San Juan Capistrano and when I visited I was so focused on other matters than i didn't check out places to visit. This will definitely have to be on the list next time I visit. It looks beautiful.

I'm ending the day with an HDR treatment of another panorama, this of two photos taken in landscape orientation with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd. I'm not a huge fan of HDR but I thought I'd experiment a bit with this other Nik tool that came with the collection I bought recently. I took a preset, then opened up the sliders and played a bit. This is hardly rocket science. This is pretty close to what the scene looked like during my visit this morning.

And here is the same image converted with SEP.

May 28, 2013 at 06:38 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2889 #16 · p.2889 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks folks for the comments on the St. Michaels/Easton photos. There's a few more I am processing and will add later today. Curtis, I really like the San Quentin landscapes you have been posting. Rafael, cool shots with the 20 UD. I have to try mine some more this season, perhaps mine's seen too much rough use, or maybe its just me and wide angles.

Scott, the bokeh on the railroad track photo is sweet, I like the colors and the rendition with the 50 1.4S. Laura, cool capture of Bambi. Kevin, nice storm clouds.

Here's a different image, taken with the 105 2.5 P Sonnar version, on a rainy, misty day a couple weeks ago.

May 28, 2013 at 09:34 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2889 #17 · p.2889 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John, I think the t-shirt would be better . I have quite a collection of t's. Baseball caps don't stay on my head very well, I inherited a very thick head of hair and I have a hard time with hats. My oldest son also inherited the thick mop of hair.

jhinkey wrote:
I'm thinking that perhaps a better piece of apparel would be a baseball cap, or perhaps a coffee mug, or perhaps a tattoo for the truly afflicted . . . .

May 28, 2013 at 09:35 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2889 #18 · p.2889 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jeff - Beautiful shot with the Velvia 50, that was probably my favorite film besides Kodachrome 64.

Georg - I agree with Curtis, B&W really does work well for you.

Scott - Thanks for the comment. I LOVE the second shot with the way the light is falling on the rust. Hope you didn't get that 3 feet of snow up your way.

John - The sky DEFINITELY Makes that shot!

Laura - Very nice deer images. But around these parts, we eat our enemies.

Curtis - I like the B&W version better.

Samy - Nice capture of the dew drops!

May 28, 2013 at 09:38 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2889 #19 · p.2889 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Kevin.

kwoodard wrote:
These are awesome!!

Love this cloud shot Kevin! Very dramatic for sure.

kwoodard wrote:
Got my little tab done, but the sun had already set. Had a mild storm come though, made for some dramatic clouds.

Nikkor-S 35mm f/2.8 @f/8 (this one goes down to f/16) I like its feel a lot. Can't wait to see how it does in the sunlight.

Thanks Rafael, it looks like a wonderful place to bring a fully loaded bag/Pelican case of MF lenses.

rafaelcasd wrote:
Well just one more, may not post until Friday again, this is the main courtyard, mission San Juan, most buildings are museums. 20mm UD.

I enjoyed this so much, I need to come back with the D800 and the 8mm, the 15 5.6, the 16 3.5, the 18 3.5, the 28 2.0. the 35 1.4.....

May 28, 2013 at 09:43 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2889 #20 · p.2889 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton. I can understand why, but their natural enemy also likes sheep. I'm still in awe of the close encounter.

leighton w wrote:
Laura - Very nice deer images. But around these parts, we eat our enemies.

May 28, 2013 at 09:47 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password