Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2885      
       2887              4150       4151       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2886 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks
Great shot Peter and kevin.

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

May 26, 2013 at 07:53 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2886 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Escargot for supper tonight Ronny?

May 26, 2013 at 08:03 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2886 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Escargot for supper tonight Ronny?

protein for Nitro

May 26, 2013 at 08:14 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2886 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I think the person who names them all correctly should win them!

That would be me of course... Though the photo as of fifteen minutes ago became incomplete...

135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd purchased at auction on E-Bay. Bjorn is a fan... though I'm crazy...

May 26, 2013 at 08:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2886 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael, you've got a great eye! I'm not surprised however. I'll have to do a set of images so it is easier to make out the smaller lenses. Of course, everything is listed in my profile so folks can make educated guesses about most everything. I love photos of lenses...

May 26, 2013 at 08:39 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2886 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
Kevin - The second one is killer. Which Q is it?

Nikkor -Q 135mm f/2.8 from 1971.

May 26, 2013 at 08:49 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2886 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Nikkor -Q 135mm f/2.8 from 1971.

Thanks Kevin.

May 26, 2013 at 08:51 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2886 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

That would be me of course... Though the photo as of fifteen minutes ago became incomplete...
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/135mm-f-2-8-AI-Nikon-Lens-/00/s/NDgwWDY3Mg==/z/OL0AAOxydkZRl8F-/$(KGrHqZHJE0FGWtqW)D!BRl8F96Tl!~~60_3.jpg

135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd purchased at auction on E-Bay. Bjorn is a fan... though I'm crazy...

Congrats on another one. But you need this like you need another hole in your head!

May 26, 2013 at 08:52 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2886 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Congrats on another one. But you need this like you need another hole in your head!

It is an investment.

May 26, 2013 at 09:39 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2886 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
protein for Nitro

Haha .. yes it was a delicious dinner ;-)

May 26, 2013 at 09:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • •
p.2886 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
It is an investment.

then my 600mm is a retirement plan all in itself

May 26, 2013 at 09:42 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2886 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny, your snail-action-shots are awesome!
Some days ago I've looked at some snails (as possible photo-subjects) in the garden, but the teutonic snails were lacking the elegance shown in your fabulous shots ;-)

Doug, your work with the Noct is highly inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Jorge, I like your work with the 50/1.2 a lot.

Rafael, love the typical rendering of the 35/1.4 wide open! I like the play with the focus on the wide-open shot too.

Ray, love esp. the first butterfly-shot. The thin "twigs" of the plant are a nice contrast to the butterfly.

Leighton, love the strawberries! A nice "ad" for the 55/2.8 Micro. The haying-shots are very nice too, the framing is excellent.

Curtis, now that's a nice Nikkor-family -shot! My personal MF-Nikkor family is growing too, will report the arrival of my first new-in-box-bought MF-Nikkor soon ;-)

Mark, very nice set from the spring in Switzerland!

Peter from Madison - I like your old B&W's a lot - especially the first two. I'm curious about your first real-world-shots with the 600/4.

Kevin, again a very nice set with the 135/2.8 at macro-distance. And again is shot #1 my favorite. Great work

May 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2886 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter from Knysna, Mark and Jeff - thanks for your comments!

Rafael, there are several long MF-Nikkor's at the european market right now. Prices are ranging from fair to bold. A 500/4P from England is one of the most-worn lenses I've ever seen. It looks like it has been the permanent companion of a british "pap" for two decades at least;-)
I've had my eyes on several 400/3.5's, but delayed a possible purchase for now.

May 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.2886 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

whoa, this thread moves fast at times. Curtis, you are a bad man, that photo will get people into trouble. Whew, you definitely are the MF man.

Well, fruit seemed to be coming into vogue here earlier, so this was from my weeping cherry tree tonight, that seems to think it's a real cherry tree!

D700/58mm AIS 1.2 NOCT

May 27, 2013 at 01:46 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2886 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

As Rafael says... its an investment. Though I have no illusion I'll ever get money out of these lenses for the simple reason I don't seem able to sell anything unless I replace it with a cleaner copy.

In this instance, I'm very much influenced by my experience with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd that Jose tempted me to buy. Both of these pre-AI lenses, as well as the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, have different optical formulae than later versions. With both the 200 and 105 I'm quite taken both with the feel of the lens in my hand, and the character of the images produced. The 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd is a much heavier lens than the AI version I already own. Its weight is close to that of the 85 f/1.4 AI-s. I'm curious about how it will handle on the D700 and what it will produce. Kevin's Q lens has the same weight and optical design but without multi-coating found in the Q.C. We'll see how it does.

From the standpoint of pure aesthetics, the lens I'd like is the 135 f/3.5 Q.C. AI'd which has a form similar to the 105 f/2.5 P. I've become a sucker for those scalloped focusing rings. The f/2.8 doesn't have that feature. There are two copies of the f/3.5 with the AI conversion kit but one has a troubled front lens, the other an absurdly high price. And so I keep my powder dry. At the moment, I'll simply wait for this f/2.8 lens and put it through its paces.

May 27, 2013 at 02:04 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2886 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

3D.Doug wrote:
whoa, this thread moves fast at times. Curtis, you are a bad man, that photo will get people into trouble. Whew, you definitely are the MF man...

This seems to have become my new vocation. I'm retired for the world of work, so I guess I needed a new outlet for my creative energy. Of course, I only had eight lenses when this thread began and now I have 35, so it seems I'm the one most infected with this particular disease that we call Manual Focus Nikon Acquisition Syndrome. I don't think that diagnosis made the recently released DSM-V but those of us frequenting this board KNOW it is real...

Just remember Doug, kit building is FOREVER...

May 27, 2013 at 02:09 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2886 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Kevin's Q lens has the same weight and optical design but without multi-coating found in the Q.C. We'll see how it does.

From the standpoint of pure aesthetics, the lens I'd like is the 135 f/3.5 Q.C. AI'd which has a form similar to the 105 f/2.5 P. I've become a sucker for those scalloped focusing rings. The f/2.8 doesn't have that feature. There are two copies of the f/3.5 with the AI conversion kit but one has a troubled front lens, the other an absurdly high price. And so I keep my powder dry. At the moment, I'll simply wait
...Show more

I really like my Q. I think the multicoating may help prevent ghosts and such, but other than that, I don't think there will be much difference in the two lenses. It may not have a scalloped focus ring, but it has a scalloped aperture. I have found that I need to use the built in hood at all times to prevent any weirdness in my images...unless I am going for an Instagram look, then I keep the hood away.

Can't wait to see what you do with it Curtis. Lens really shines around f4 or f5.6. It has an amazingly short DOF wide open for a lens as long as it is.

This is at f5.6, DOF extends from the front of the flower to right in front of the stem (no tube used, near MFD). That is about an inch and a half of DOF.

DSC_7022 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

May 27, 2013 at 02:51 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2886 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here is wide open with a PK13 (Nikkor-Q 135mm). About 1/4 inch of DOF at MFD.

DSC_7765 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

May 27, 2013 at 02:54 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2886 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well time to close out the weekend, did not do much, tomorrow I will need to go somewhere, I only went downtown escondido, to test the 20mm UD on the D800. You may remember my chicano park aztec/mexica freeway murals, taken with this lens on the D3. On that camera the lens performed well, I had not wanted to use it on the D800, believing it would fall short. Much to my surprise it does not, it is already very sharp at 3.5 and does not improve much in sharpness closing down, but it does improve contrast and illumination.

Like the 15mm 5.6 it is plenty sharp for the D800 but you must focus with the field of curvature very much in mind or the corners will not be sharp. you will also not be able to have near and far corners sharp at any aperture at the same time, must focus taking care of the field match to the lens curvature of focus.

I only have a few lenses that show totally clear glass, absolutely no dust or anything else under sunlight, this is one of them.

Enough words.

First the 55 1.2 SC at 2.8. Rose trellis at Elfin forest.

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 at 2.8 D800 Elfin Rose Trellis by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This is the lens

nikon nikkor 20mm ud D800 front by Rafael CA, on Flickr
nikon nikkor 20mm ud D800 side by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Now the UD at 3.5, yes this is 3.5 with some fixing of the vignette. There is significant depth of focus in the central area

nikom nikkor 20mm 3.5 nkj D800 at 3.5 Escondido Center for the arts by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A crop of this

nikom nikkor 20mm 3.5 nkj UD D800 at 3.5 Escondido Center for the arts crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This one is at f8, with no post processing, landscape pic control.

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 Escondido CA Center for the arts by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Crop

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 8 D800 Escondido CA Center for the arts crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Now at 3.5 using the natural signature of the lens to create an effect, sun colored yellow in sw, other than that no changes. No Photoshop, Lens-a-shop.

Memorial.

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD at 3.5 D800 Escondido CA Center for the arts memorial by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Same effect on landscape.

nikon nikkor 20mm ud D800 full aperture sun in frame by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on May 27, 2013 at 03:40 PM · View previous versions

May 27, 2013 at 03:24 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2886 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lens-a-shop? Is that a technical term?

May 27, 2013 at 03:50 AM
1       2       3              2885      
       2887              4150       4151       end