Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2876      
2877
       2878              4308       4309       end
  

Manual Focus Nikon Glass
  
 
raboof
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #1 · p.2877 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


pburke wrote:
Interesting post here about the TC-16a (the teleconverter that when hacked can give you limited AF capabilities on a lot of older Nikkors) - I am another step closer to getting a long AIS telephoto after reading that.

All I need to verify is: does it actually work on D600 with an f4.0 lens - f/6.8 effective aperture your AF system needs to work with. The specs for the D600 state f/8 is the AF limit, but is anything above f/5.6 still snappy enough to be usable?


I have one. Mine isn't hacked and it still "limited" AF with my 300mm f2.8 AIS on my D2X and D700.






May 22, 2013 at 08:15 PM
pburke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #2 · p.2877 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


raboof wrote:
I have one. Mine isn't hacked and it still "limited" AF with my 300mm f2.8 AIS on my D2X and D700.



so why do they need to be hacked? is it just some camera bodies that may not work? They all do "limited" AF within a pre-focused zone, so that isn't what the hack overcomes. The how to hack page talks about some older AF bodies, so maybe I should first try a cheap unmodded TC16a

http://www.foolography.com/free-stuff/modify-tc-16a/



May 22, 2013 at 08:24 PM
leighton w
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #3 · p.2877 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


pburke wrote:
I've done it. Life will never be the same again

Some lens porn while I wait for the mail man to ask for my signature

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/600mmf4.0/front.jpg

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/600mmf4.0/side.jpg


Congrats Peter! I wouldn't use it as a walk around lens though.



May 22, 2013 at 08:32 PM
leighton w
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #4 · p.2877 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Had to break out the 55mm f2.8 for a while, it was getting dusty.


Calibrachoa 55/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr



May 22, 2013 at 08:36 PM
pburke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #5 · p.2877 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:

Congrats Peter! I wouldn't use it as a walk around lens though.


I've been known to do that when the 600mm I used was painted off-white. It's not something you hold up for very long, but all this talk about massive support tripods for these lenses is bogus. I never used it on a tripod - usually monopod or handheld. All depends on what you're shooting, though.

going to be hard to stuff this into my bicycle bags. Time to find a trailer



May 22, 2013 at 08:38 PM
rankamateur
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #6 · p.2877 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:
Had to break out the 55mm f2.8 for a while, it was getting dusty.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/8791653808_2cd9e67f37_b.jpg
Calibrachoa 55/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr


Seriously beautiful color: Deserves another look!



May 22, 2013 at 08:41 PM
rankamateur
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #7 · p.2877 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


pburke wrote:
I've been known to do that when the 600mm I used was painted off-white. It's not something you hold up for very long, but all this talk about massive support tripods for these lenses is bogus. I never used it on a tripod - usually monopod or handheld. All depends on what you're shooting, though.

going to be hard to stuff this into my bicycle bags. Time to find a trailer


Peter you may consider not dropping this one!



May 22, 2013 at 08:42 PM
raboof
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #8 · p.2877 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Peter - your lens is not listed here. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/F3AFlenses/tc16a/

I am not sure if it's compatible.



May 22, 2013 at 08:43 PM
MDoc9523
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #9 · p.2877 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Congratulations Peter What a beautiful piece of glass. I can't wait to see what you can do with it!
Leighton what a beautiful flower shot. Very nice colors!



May 22, 2013 at 09:01 PM
asiostygius
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #10 · p.2877 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Leighton, simply stunning colours!!!
Congrats Peter, what a beauty!!

Peter, you may be interested in this link:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3121174
The guy has some excellent experiences with a moded TC16A + 500mm f/4 P. As your 600mm is f/4 it should work in a similar way

For a short period I had a D2x + unmodded TC16A + both 500/4 and the 600/5.6 ais working AF. Note that even the slower 600/5.6 had AF, but on the D2x I remenber the lens must be wide open to AF works.

I have some old test shots here:

with my ex (missing it...) 500/4P (= 800mm f/6.4):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/3433735098/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/3432925111/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/3432924975/in/photostream/

with 600/5.6 (= 960mm f/9):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/3481163047/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/6432161809/in/photostream/




May 22, 2013 at 09:15 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



leighton w
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #11 · p.2877 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Thanks for the comments guys!


May 22, 2013 at 09:19 PM
kwoodard
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #12 · p.2877 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:
Had to break out the 55mm f2.8 for a while, it was getting dusty.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/8791653808_2cd9e67f37_b.jpg
Calibrachoa 55/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr


Beautiful shot! Love the colors.



May 22, 2013 at 09:28 PM
pburke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #13 · p.2877 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


raboof wrote:
Peter - your lens is not listed here. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/F3AFlenses/tc16a/

I am not sure if it's compatible.


we will find out in a few weeks. I will do som more research into what the modding is all about. The compatibility list may also be out of date, as the AF sensitivity of cameras has gone up. My old Canon EOS-1n didn't AF at f/8 for example, but modern bodies do. If it doesn't work, not a huge deal. I don't shoot much at 960mm anyway - imagine that one in crop mode - yikes.



May 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM
pburke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #14 · p.2877 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


rankamateur wrote:


Peter you may consider not dropping this one!


I dropped the Canon 600/f4 once in the 90s - the new lens shade was $350 then. I just saw the new Nikon 800mm f5.6 lens shade is over $1000 at Adorama...




May 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM
pburke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #15 · p.2877 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


asiostygius wrote:
Leighton, simply stunning colours!!!
Congrats Peter, what a beauty!!

Peter, you may be interested in this link:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3121174
The guy has some excellent experiences with a moded TC16A + 500mm f/4 P. As your 600mm is f/4 it should work in a similar way

For a short period I had a D2x + unmodded TC16A + both 500/4 and the 600/5.6 ais working AF. Note that even the slower 600/5.6 had AF, but on the D2x I remenber the lens must be wide open to AF works.

I have some old test shots here:

with my ex (missing it...) 500/4P (= 800mm f/6.4):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/3433735098/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/3432925111/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/3432924975/in/photostream/

with 600/5.6 (= 960mm
...Show more

very impressive images, Jose. I'm pretty sure I can make it work with an f/4 lens. I may even add a chip to the lens, although it doesn't really make a difference with the TC-16a, I think. I'll probably buy a TC-14E first for image quality and less extreme reach - AF isn't on top of my list. I do need to find me a decent Gitzo monopod first, plus a lenscoat cover to keep the lens looking nice even with my clumsy handling








May 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM
pburke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #16 · p.2877 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:
Had to break out the 55mm f2.8 for a while, it was getting dusty.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/8791653808_2cd9e67f37_b.jpg
Calibrachoa 55/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr


I suppose black and white wasn't appropriate here - popping colors!



May 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM
mike-in-ak
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #17 · p.2877 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Duck !!

A recent one from the D3s and Nikkor 500mm f/4 P ED IF - ISO 800 - 1/1600 - /8







May 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #18 · p.2877 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Between Jame's shots of a pristine 20 f/2.8 AI-s and Peter's pristine 600 f/4 we're in lens porn central here... I love it! Then we get Leighton's work with the micro lens and Mike's latest with the 500 f/4 P and nothing could be finer. We love the lenses and we love what they produce. And Jose, comparison shots of 135mm MF lenses would be a treat. I was looking at that lens you bought but decided I didn't need it. I'm happy you'll be playing with it, however.

Kit building is forever, so congratulations to EVERYONE who is buying MF Nikkor lenses...



May 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM
kwoodard
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2877 #19 · p.2877 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:
Kit building is forever, so congratulations to EVERYONE who is buying MF Nikkor lenses...


True that. My list has doubled in the last few months... Since I am trying my hand at fixing broken lenses/cameras, I have been given a lot of old gear. Been having a pretty good success rate with repairs.

My list so far:

Nikon Series E 100mm f/2.8 (being repaired)
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon Series E 28mm f/2.8
Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8 AI'd
Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5 AI
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (soon to be converted to AI, have a second, older one that has damaged elements, might use it for parts)
Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 (soon to be converted to AI)
PK13 Extension Tube



May 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2877 #20 · p.2877 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Glad you're having fun Kevin. It really doesn't matter how we get there, it is the journey that matters more than the destination.

I came upon this unusual lens on E-Bay a moment ago... a Carl Zeiss optical design mounted WITHIN a Nikkor lens body...



135mm at f/4 in a 135 f/3.5 Q pre-AI body... I've no idea whether this is an actual Zeiss product, but how strange.

Zeiss 135 f/4 for $669.99



May 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1       2       3              2876      
2877
       2878              4308       4309       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2876      
2877
       2878              4308       4309       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password