Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2858      
       2860              4231       4232       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Paul Gabel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2859 #1 · p.2859 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And while I was experimenting, a few tulips with the 135mm/2.8 Q ai'd and a PK13 tube:

_PG25594 by Apapa56, on Flickr

1/400 f8 iso 200

_PG25618 by Apapa56, on Flickr

1/320 f8 iso 200

May 15, 2013 at 01:11 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2859 #2 · p.2859 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's a shot taken today during a warning strike.

I like the PC 85/2.8D for stuff like this (D700, PC 85/2.8D tilted, f/2.8)

May 15, 2013 at 01:15 AM
Paul Gabel
• •
p.2859 #3 · p.2859 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Paul, it's great to hear/read from you again. Great work as usual. I especially like the classic B&W-images. The macros are wonderful too - the colors of the flower-shot are excellent.

Thank you Georg, you, and others on the thread have been showing some great work. I don't feel I am competent enough to give comment on them, other than that those pictures were awesome. They do indeed inspire me to try things out myself.

Paul

May 15, 2013 at 01:15 AM
designdog
• •
p.2859 #4 · p.2859 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hello!

I have two technical issues, that perhaps someone can help me with.

The first involves something we are all doing here, manually focusing a lens on, in my case, a D800. I have noticed, with many of my shots of plants, trees, and flowers - with a variety of MF lenses - that it seems almost as if the camera "sees" through the fauna and focuses on something behind it. At first I thought it was because the fauna is moving slightly in wind, as even shots at f8 are affected. This may indeed be the case. But it is happening despite may rigorous efforts at steadying the camera and aiming at a large piece of flower etc.

Any thoughts?

The second issue is with Bridge CS6. Despite the fact that I have the fastest processor on my iMac, and 32GB of memory, when I hit the space bar for an enlarged view, it is out of focus. Yet, when I click into that view for 100%, it snaps back to focus. Should, if anything, be the other way around. Note: I have waited for the previews to be refreshed etc, and it still does it.

I am trying to wean myself off of Lightroom, as the new features of Photoshop CC look up my alley, and I have had the subscription at a beta tester discount, since day one.

Seems to be a learning curve with the D800 that I did not experience with the D700. So far, there is no "aha" moment for me...

May 15, 2013 at 01:16 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2859 #5 · p.2859 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Paul Gabel wrote:
Thank you Georg, you, and others on the thread have been showing some great work. I don't feel I am competent enough to give comment on them, other than that those pictures were awesome. They do indeed inspire me to try things out myself.

Paul

You're not competent enough? Your fine work speaks another language, Paul.
But just like you I really like the highly inspiring, peaceful character of this wonderful thread.

May 15, 2013 at 01:26 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2859 #6 · p.2859 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Hello!

I have two technical issues, that perhaps someone can help me with.

The first involves something we are all doing here, manually focusing a lens on, in my case, a D800. I have noticed, with many of my shots of plants, trees, and flowers - with a variety of MF lenses - that it seems almost as if the camera "sees" through the fauna and focuses on something behind it. At first I thought it was because the fauna is moving slightly in wind, as even shots at f8 are affected. This may indeed be the case. But it is happening
...Show more

Sorry about your trouble! Do you focus by the focus-confirmation or on the screen/groundglass in the finder? Todays screens are not made to be used for manual focusing and nailing focus is tricky. For static scenes focusing via Live-View works great.

May 15, 2013 at 01:35 AM
designdog
• •
p.2859 #7 · p.2859 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks. I am using the focus confirmation.

May 15, 2013 at 01:42 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2859 #8 · p.2859 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Thanks. I am using the focus confirmation.

There are some issues that might cause focus-errors: a too small or not contrasty enough target for the AF-system (read: the focus confirmation) is one of the more likely reasons.
You could also check if the lenses work 100% with the focus confirmation: "nail" focus with Live-View and check if the focus-confirmation shows focus as dead on (this should be done from a tripod).
Here is another thread about this stuff.
Hope this helps!

May 15, 2013 at 02:02 AM
mp356
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2859 #9 · p.2859 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:
Here are a couple wide open shots of a flowering coral tree, sometimes called a "flame tree."

Very nice Jeff. I especially like the first image.

May 15, 2013 at 02:15 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2859 #10 · p.2859 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:
Ronny, thanks for your comment. Terrific bee shot with the 135/2. I'm in awe of your steady hands!

+1 Ronny. Amazing work.

May 15, 2013 at 02:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mp356
• • • •
p.2859 #11 · p.2859 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Paul Gabel wrote:
In Central France I visited the Pont-Canal de Briare, an aquaduct across the Loire river built between 1860 and 1896

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7284/8738982179_ee466c4ab2_b.jpg
_PG25573 by Apapa56, on Flickr

Very nice canal images Paul. This one is very nostalgic.

May 15, 2013 at 02:20 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2859 #12 · p.2859 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few more from Letchworth all taken with the 105mm f4 micro. I have been carrying this lens as part of my lightweight kit. The first two are taken at infinity. The sharpness seems quite good. The last image is focused on the stone wall. Taken at f5.6, the bokeh is not as smooth as I had hoped. The wall and tree are very sharp however. Thanks for looking.
Scott

May 15, 2013 at 02:31 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2859 #13 · p.2859 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Our European contingent is entertaining us big time of late... Paul, Ronny and Georg do these lenses proud. Love that heavily loaded bee Ronny, and those tulips knock me out Paul. And I love the fact we continually get to see what you're up to when at work... always interesting subjects. I've never heard before of a "warning" strike. Workers here are on strike or they're not... negotiating happens in between. Though come to think of it, unions will on occasion to informational picketing to make their point. Happily I no longer need to be concerned with such things either as a representative of labor or management... I've done both at one time or another. I even got fired one time for helping a union to organize. Live and learn...

May 15, 2013 at 02:57 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2859 #14 · p.2859 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott that lens seems up to the task, though it is heavier than the faster 105 f/2.5. Of course, you'd need to add an extension tube if you wanted to do close with with that lens while the f/4 gives you you that capacity. Yet, you need an extension tube with that lens as well if you want to achieve 1:1 magnification. No matter, the lens you have is always the right one to use. You can leave it to Ben and me to build kits so large that lenses spend more time in the cabinet than on the camera... This is nice set.

May 15, 2013 at 03:00 AM
charles sharpe
• •
p.2859 #15 · p.2859 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I sold my Nikon 600mm 5.6 lens a few months the reason was I thought the shots I was getting was not up to my standard. I have missed it I have been using 300 2.8 with a 1.7 tc on it but not the same as a 600mm. Do any of you have any shots with the 600mm on a D 4 body.

Charles.

May 15, 2013 at 03:06 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2859 #16 · p.2859 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm still convalescing from a cold and taking occasional walks to keep my body working. This afternoon I mounted the 50 f/1.4 S.C. AI'd, a rather neglected lens in my kit. I tend to shoot longer or wider, though I've certainly become much fonder of standard focal lengths during my time shooting with these fine lenses. I'll make a down payment with a closeup of the trunk of a redwood tree down the street from where I live. I like the way the folks of bark came together. I converted the cropped image in Silver Efex Pro 2.

A couple of blocks beyond that I found a palm tree, which is about as different from the redwood tree as one can get. The palm thrives in hot sun and little moisture, while redwood trees thrive on water and fog, often living close to streams and in sheltered areas. Somehow they survive in places like San Anselmo which can be wet in the winter but gets quite warm during the summer. Here's a closeup of the palm tree trunk processed the same way.

Flowers will follow...

May 15, 2013 at 03:06 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2859 #17 · p.2859 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the 55mm f1.2 is quite a chunk of glass, but I like it - first tests after a thunderstorm kept me in the house for much of the evening

a slinky at f/1.2 with flash, pretty close to minimum focus at 60-70cm

then the storm ended, so I turned up the ISO and went across the street into the park

f1.2 1/125s ISO 800 - vignette is mostly post

f4 1/125s ISO 800

and the obligatory hydrant test shot before it got too dark

f1.2 1/30s ISO 800, vignette mostly post

May 15, 2013 at 03:14 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2859 #18 · p.2859 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

charles sharpe wrote:
I sold my Nikon 600mm 5.6 lens a few months the reason was I thought the shots I was getting was not up to my standard. I have missed it I have been using 300 2.8 with a 1.7 tc on it but not the same as a 600mm. Do any of you have any shots with the 600mm on a D 4 body.

Charles.

I keep telling folks it is dangerous to sell these lenses because they are very easy to miss... Sorry to hear about your loss. Our resident long glass regular, Jose, the ornithologist from Brazil has the 800 f/56 but I'm not certain he has a 600mm lens. Peter B has been musing about picking up a 600mm lens but is inclined toward the f/4. We have at least one 500 f/4 appearing on this thread. Samy produces magical work with it.

If you really have sellers remorse you can always buy another... for $1,690 plus $70 shipping from Japan... in quite good condition judging from the photos and comments.

Nikon 600 f/5.6 ED AI-s for $1,690 on E-Bay.

May 15, 2013 at 03:19 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2859 #19 · p.2859 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I fell in love with the 55 f/1.2 after dismissing it for almost two years. I like everything about the lens. I have the version that follows yours but both have the knurled focusing rings and bulky body. It is such a pleasure to hold in my hand as I turn the focusing ring. And, of course, it is fast, which permits some remarkable work. I love your play with the slinky. Have fun Peter.

May 15, 2013 at 03:24 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2859 #20 · p.2859 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A couple more photos from my ramble this afternoon with the 50 f/1.4 S.C. AI'd, the smaller brother of the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd that sits in my camera bag at the moment.

May 15, 2013 at 03:27 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password