Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2855      
       2857              4228       4229       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2856 #1 · p.2856 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Great work Peter. Our friend Bert from the Netherlands who now lives in the Central Valley of California did some work like this some time ago when he was hanging out on the thread. I'm always amazed at the possibilities available for a creative person to play with photography. Very well done. A great way to spend an evening...

It was too windy to hunt down flowers and bugs outside, and I remembered another youtube video when I was cleaning out the basement and was just about to ditch the fishtank (cracked glass) when I realized that I now had the remote triggers to try some splashes myself. This is all done on the cheap - SB16 flash ($20 ebay), old Canon 540EZ flash from the 90s, Yongnuo RF602 triggers, some gaffer tape and a black cardboard box. Had a lot of fun.

Two more drops - Santa with the ukelele didn't have waterproof color in his dress - that ended the session prematurely, although I was really running out of things I could think of to drop in there

and a little processing fun with the Nikkor splash

May 13, 2013 at 05:39 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2856 #2 · p.2856 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Kevin, for all the concern you had when you first arrived about how you were processing images, I have to say that what you've been posting of late has been top notch. These two above are excellent. I love the work with an extension tube and the portrait is rather priceless. I imagine this little girl's parents will be very happy to have that photo.

Keep up the good work and good luck with the lens repair. Good eyesight and a steady hand are essential...

+1 I totally agree.

May 13, 2013 at 07:00 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2856 #3 · p.2856 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott I love your photos using the 28mm but I have to say that the falls using the 50mm is my favorite. Well done!
Georg the time laps is really cool and your nature church shots are top notch!
Alan what a precious shot. That one is a keeper!
Jose the berry shot is really nice but I find the light on the left a little distracting.
Rafael there are some great captures especially in your timing!
Curtis the car series is great but the live musicians takes first place. - Wonderful perspectives!
Peter I find your splash shots very intriguing especially the strawberries.
Kevin the portrait of the little girl is simply marvelous - well done!

May 13, 2013 at 08:13 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2856 #4 · p.2856 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's a shot of the Caladiums taken at the University of Florida's teaching garden. I brought the 105mm 2.5 P out of mothballs today. It is such a sharp lens. F4 at 1/320

May 13, 2013 at 08:27 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2856 #5 · p.2856 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray - I love the red veins in the leaves, wonder what it would look like in B&W? And you're right, hard to beat that 105!

May 13, 2013 at 08:29 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2856 #6 · p.2856 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Curtis, Leighton and Ray.
Ray, agreed with you, the intention was to show the 6 blades effect at f/2.8.

Curtis, loved the musicians set, liked the most the bass player captures;

Peter B, fantastic splash shots;

Ray, gorgeous leaves.

Some pages ago there was a discussion on short telephoto bokeh.
By coincidence, a week ago I made a simple test between my current 85mm MF lenses at 10-30m of distance.

85mm "bokeh battle": the subject is a "banal", palm leaf at ~6m, with three leaves some 20-25m behind.

Just as a reference this is the general scene with the reddish rectangle showing the cropped area.

Bokeh-battle-85mm-general-scene-85mmf14-ais-wide-open by labecoaves, on Flickr

All shots straight from the camera/no edit - ViewNX2 conversion to jpge - FastStone Viewer - Printscreen command - CS5 resizing - save to web format.

Wide open:

Bokeh-battle-85mm-wide-open by labecoaves, on Flickr

At f/2:

Bokeh-battle-85mm-at-f2 by labecoaves, on Flickr

At f/2.8:

Bokeh-battle-85mm-at-f2.8 by labecoaves, on Flickr

I think the 85/2 wide open delivered the busiest bokeh. 85/1.4 is the best (?) and 85/1.8 K is near. What do you think?
Someday I will run a test at shorter distances to see the results.

Edited on May 18, 2013 at 08:53 PM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 08:52 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2856 #7 · p.2856 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Agreed. The f1.8 K is pretty close to the f1.4. I just picked up a 1.8H. I hope it's similar to Nikki or the 1.8K above.

Edited on May 13, 2013 at 09:08 PM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 08:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2856 #8 · p.2856 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I agree with your assessment Jose. We're all big fans of the 85 f/1.4 and your test demonstrates exactly what those of us who use the lens find so appealing. The bokeh is luscious. But the other two lenses are not exactly chopped liver... For those who don't feel inclined to buy the high priced spread, there are options. We all know the even older lenses such as the H and H.C. are solid performers. I love these tests you perform Jose. I can only assume you post such more often that John ONLY because he has twins that keep him occupied when he isn't busy making money to support his family. But both you guys add a dimension to this thread that is most welcome. Keep em coming...

May 13, 2013 at 09:02 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2856 #9 · p.2856 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 1.4 is definitely the clear winner. But it's interesting to note that the bokeh improves with the 85 f2 at 2.8. Thanks Jose.

May 13, 2013 at 09:07 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2856 #10 · p.2856 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 85mm1.8 K really is good but the 1.4 is king of the 85's
Thank you Jose and leighton. I tried my photo in B&W but my skills just are not up to the ones posted here in this forum. Maybe you can send me your recipe Leighton

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • • •
p.2856 #11 · p.2856 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
The 85mm1.8 K really is good but the 1.4 is king of the 85's
Thank you Jose and leighton. I tried my photo in B&W but my skills just are not up to the ones posted here in this forum. Maybe you can send me your recipe Leighton

just a quick conversion done with Camera Raw and Photoshop Channel Mixer - this is close to the Infrared filter preset, just a little less blacks. Probably could do more with the RAW file. Most of the contrast increase comes from changing the original in Camera Raw to a different contrast curve, plus a good dose of clarity before converting to black and white

May 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2856 #12 · p.2856 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

More photoshop fun, this time with the 360 degree pano I did with the 20mm f3.5 at Mt. Whitney. Here the "poor man's fisheye" version from outer space:

May 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2856 #13 · p.2856 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, love the leaves! Leighton is spot on - B&W works better for this shot.
I think your kinda naturalistic approach on the conversion works great for this subject. Good job!

Jose, thanks for sharing your 85mm-bokeh-test! Interesting results - the 85/1.8K wide open surprised me. I've never tried the manual 85/1.4, but it seems to perform just as beautiful like my old AF-D 85/1.4. The Leica Summicron-R 90/2 is wonderful in terms of rendition, but it's a pain to use on a Nikon (in my opinion).
Btw, love the small fruit with the 50/2 HC - I don't find the hexagonal highlight really disturbing.

Peter, woah, the splash-series is really fun to look at! Thanks for sharing.

Kevin, the portrait of the girl is really wonderful!

Curtis, very nice series from the concert! B&W works fine here. Looking at this set an old family joke crossed my mind: somehow the bass-players are always the best subjects (my sister plays bass-guitar).

Alan, the exhausted little guy is wonderfully captured. Don't give up the D700, film is great to work with, but a DSLR of the D700's league will always be a good mate for your analogue gear.

Rafael, your work with the 25-50 led to an instant ebay-search at my side of the pond;-) This lens would mix well with my primes.

May 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2856 #14 · p.2856 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments on my recently posted pictures!

Jose, the pictured street is just a curved bridge.

May 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2856 #15 · p.2856 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's an image shot today, at first I had a gritty B&W-conversion in mind, but changed my view:

room with a view von georgsfoto auf Flickr
3 horizontal shots with the PC 85/2.8D wide open stitched together

May 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2856 #16 · p.2856 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
The 1.4 is definitely the clear winner. But it's interesting to note that the bokeh improves with the 85 f2 at 2.8. Thanks Jose.

I've got one to loan you Leighton... I might even be convinced to sell it since I have other options at that focal length.

May 14, 2013 at 02:59 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2856 #17 · p.2856 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter and Georg are entertaining us with their distinctive creativity. I really enjoy 8mm fisheye shots, though I think I'm be more inclined to take your approach Peter rather than spending two thousand dollars on that lens. It is simply too specialized for my taste. And Georg, I've always been a fan of Anton's work with the 45 PC-E, largely because of the amazing way it creates bokeh. You're little experiment catches the flavor of that work. I like a great deal. I assume the stitching was vertical since the images were in landscape format. Very intriguing...

May 14, 2013 at 03:03 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2856 #18 · p.2856 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

After all the talk about 85mm lenses I had to mount Nikki's older sibling when I took an afternoon constitutional. I have a cold, a runny nose and sinus headache. About all I could do was put one foot in front of the other. Having my camera along made it doable.

Roses...

I have a hood on the lens which doubtless helps manage the bright light. The lens is a pleasure to hold and use. I doubt I'd pay for an H.C. since this lens works so well but maybe the universe will bring one my way and I'll take the plunge.

May 14, 2013 at 03:08 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2856 #19 · p.2856 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And two more from my hike... new blossom followed by a fallen pine cone atop a fence rail.

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 07:03 AM · View previous versions

May 14, 2013 at 03:10 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2856 #20 · p.2856 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis you have unique aesthetic and it shows in your flower shots. Move to Tahoe and buy a corvette and a chris craft. + on the car shots. Also any writer would be proud of a portrait by you on their book cover, or a band on their album

Ben, what a great city your live in, your photos are a constant reminder of where civilization has migrated.

Philippe, your photos of Provence are a reminder of where civilization originated, in beautiful sorroundings.

Mihai, hope your surgery is a total success.

Jose, impressive panorama with the 50 H. Like the 85K best.

Ronny, bee in flight and perfectly focused. Horse in flight and perfectly focused.

Georg, incredible work on the engine room panos! love the sports chairs. Is the wicker grown church where Curtis is moving into? Do buy a 25-50mm

Dean, the Macau cemetery is haunting in the memory of portuguese colonial past, do they still speak the language?

Peter, your shots have altitude! and your lenses are wet! and then you left the planet.

Philip, me likes the colorful flare in aunt and auntie's and the 105 look

John, nice home and neighborhood

Samy, I have the 28 pc, you master it, like how you make the tops just a bit wider than straight

Leighton, we want more, I would love to see your unique winter perspective extended to other seasons, those shots were far out

Scott, very mossy greens

Alan, beautiful sleeping moment with the 105 in BW, very subtle light

Kevin, happy shipwreck

Thanks for kind comments, I am a poor photog but enjoy it immensely, specially in good company like here

May 14, 2013 at 03:23 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password