Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2851      
       2853              4425       4426       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2852 #1 · p.2852 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Philippe, Ronny, Leighton, Samy and Jose: thanks for your comments on the leaf and/or the engine room!

Samy, sorry, I don't have any detail-shots from this engine-room. Another pano is in the works.
Here's a quick grab-shot (taken as "photographic note" for me) from a part of the ship's engine-room:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7436/8730061546_eab0bd5d12_c.jpg
20/3.5 Ai at f/5.6, D3s, 1/20sec, taken as S-sized JPG at ISO12800 as a "photographic note" only

Very nice, Georg! I guess it is the contribution of Germany to the new green energy production!

May 11, 2013 at 09:51 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2852 #2 · p.2852 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
We were on a 3 week bicycle tour, a loop starting and ending in Avignon. We went south to the coast, followed the coast to Toulon, then headed north to La Palud sur Verdon, and back west to Avignon. I am still amazed that my parents let us do this.

jpg

3 weeks for a bicycle tour starting and ending in Avignon via Toulon and La Palud : well done ! That's just the time for the Tour de France. For sure you must have met a lot of girls on the road!

May 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2852 #3 · p.2852 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^Philippe, the machinery dates back to the mid 50's - I guess "smoke on the water" had a different meaning back then;-)

Peter, I love the shot of the Citroen DS in the alley - it looks like the goddess had a dinghy stuffed into in the trunk...

May 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2852 #4 · p.2852 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just a few from today. Mounted the 80-200/4.5 AI for the heck of it. Although this is a nice zoom I don't think I like it as well as my 180mm f2.8.

80-200/4.5 AI by Leighton W, on Flickr

80-200/4.5 AI by Leighton W, on Flickr

May 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2852 #5 · p.2852 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, you've captured a wonderful moment at the picture of the couple! It's a really lovely image. The background is a bit busy, but that's life.

May 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2852 #6 · p.2852 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Spent some more hours with the green machines ;-)
This pano was planned with the dark green box as "Anchors" at the far left and right borders of the image, but I couldn't bring PS to stitch it like intended.
The original image is about 22.000 by 4.000 pixels large, over at flickr is a 5500x1000-pixels version.

engine room von georgsfoto auf Flickr
lotsa vertical shots with the 20/3.5 Ais at f/11

May 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2852 #7 · p.2852 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, if you continue to post amazing images like the long-distance-portrait of the "Great Kiskadee" the prices of the 800/5.6 Ais will never come down

edit: Please keep those fantastic shots coming, I'm too cheap to buy a 800/5.6 at any rate anyway ;-)

Edited on May 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM
raboof
• • •
p.2852 #8 · p.2852 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

300mm f2.8 with TC-14B

May 12, 2013 at 01:01 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2852 #9 · p.2852 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dinner! for our european friends, call it American Gourmet.

55 1.2 D3

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 in and out D3 vette by Rafael CA, on Flickr

at 1.2

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 D3 in and out by Rafael CA, on Flickr

May 12, 2013 at 02:16 AM
philipj
• • •
p.2852 #10 · p.2852 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny, I'm not sure how you manage to get those bees in flight macro shots! Amazing.

Georg, very cool shots from the engine room of the old DDR ship.

Dean, great processing, glad to see you posting again!

A couple with the 50mm f/1.2 AI-s on my walk home from the office this afternoon. The first is shot from the hip, wide open. The second is at f/8, and you can see some crazy flaring going on, despite the fact that I have the HS-12 hood on there...

DRINK WITH by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Auties & Uncles by philipjohnson, on Flickr

May 12, 2013 at 02:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2852 #11 · p.2852 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yard sale all day today - we cleared out 75% of what we had - which is great because we really needed to clear out the space.

45/2.8 AI-P

The Crowds Looking For A Bargain

NIKON D800    45mm    f/8.0    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

My Daughter Having Fun Sitting Around!

NIKON D800    45mm    f/2.8    1/1600s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 12, 2013 at 03:48 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2852 #12 · p.2852 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What a sweet looking house John. If you have one next door for $350,000 let me know... Actually, though I may be willing to revisit Seattle, Sue wants less rain and more sun... Obviously, it works for a great many people but we've been spoiled by California weather... not to be confused with Florida weather...

May 12, 2013 at 04:08 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2852 #13 · p.2852 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice to see you back Dean. When I saw those photos I thought instantly of Brad who was a great adventurer in his processing... and that was before so many of us invested in Nik software tools. I imagine you did these with a little help from Nik... as I did after shooting today. Lovely set of images Dean. I like the processing.

May 12, 2013 at 04:10 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2852 #14 · p.2852 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael, I loved the set of images from the car scene. The 18 seems the perfect lens for what you were doing. Today they held May Madness in downtown San Rafael with classic cars lining the main street. I'd forgotten about the event but as I drove home along an adjacent street I saw the barricades and then in the distance a few beauties. Inspired by your work I wandered about until I found a parking space and headed down to the event. Light was bright in the middle of the day so shooting was a bit challenging. I ended up converting quite a few images with Silver Efex Pro 2. It was a great deal of fun shooting and a great deal of fun processing images. Here's a downpayment...

The first three were shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd and the last with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd which proved especially useful shooting cars. The two Corvettes in the last photo are from 1965, the coupe and 1966, the roadster. I owned two 1965 Corvettes at different times, one silver roadster and one silver coupe. My Corvette days are long gone, but I'm still a fan Rafael, as I know you are.

May 12, 2013 at 04:19 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2852 #15 · p.2852 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
What a sweet looking house John. If you have one next door for $350,000 let me know... Actually, though I may be willing to revisit Seattle, Sue wants less rain and more sun... Obviously, it works for a great many people but we've been spoiled by California weather... not to be confused with Florida weather...

Thanks - it's been a huge amount of work to get it looking like this from the incredibly sorry shape it was in when we bought it . . .

Well, if you can make it from November through April you can get through May & June. After July 4th and through mid October typically is pretty darned nice . . .

May 12, 2013 at 04:30 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2852 #16 · p.2852 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I know that Seattle is perfect for you and your family with so many opportunities to get into wilderness areas relatively close at hand. Puget Sound, Lake Washington and the two mountain chains make for a stunning setting. I remember my three years there fondly. I was rather blown away when I arrived in February, having left twenty below temperatures in Minneapolis, and finding flowers in bloom. I thought it was paradise until it started raining the following September and then seemed never to stop...

You're right, of course, summer can be delicious. It is the overcast skies and rain of winter that are a challenge. Only Buffalo, New York has fewer clear days than does Seattle... 54 to 58, and only Pittsburgh has a lower percentage of sun reaching the ground... 45% to 47%. San Francisco has 160 clear days, by comparison.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/weather-averages-index.php

Interesting stuff...

May 12, 2013 at 04:55 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2852 #17 · p.2852 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One thing that impressed me at the May Madness car show today was that some of most interesting work on cars is being done by Latinos who are very much into low riding and adding hydraulic systems in their cars, which permits them to bounce up and down the road. There were quire a few such cars displayed today, including one that is quite stunning. Everything has been modified to perfection. Here are a series of photos taken with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd of that special vehicle. First looking down the street at the line of cars. You'll see the white car that has lifted off the pavement. That is the one...

And here is the heart of the hydraulic system. Note the eight batteries lined up at the sides of the trunk to provide power to the system.

And here is the engine compartment. Practically everything has been chromed.

Every detail has been impeccably done. This is high art, in my opinion.

May 12, 2013 at 05:04 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2852 #18 · p.2852 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chuong, I like your framing of the sparrow (?). Very nice background-separation too - your 300/2.8 works great for this purpose.

Rafael, nice work at the Dinner (or is it "Diner"?) Crossed palm-trees are a neat idea.

Philip, thanks! The "Aunties and Uncles" restaurant looks like a good place to get good traditional fare (called "Hausmannskost" over her).
The flare/ghosting seems weird, I've had similar things going on with the 55/1.2.
The B&W-shot is cool - I'm not brave enough to shoot wide open from the hip ;-)

John, your daughter looks like the happy cashier of your yard-sale;-) A very nice portrait!

Curtis, love your car-shots, especially the Malibu-details. The hotrod works great in B&W. Lotsa work in the low-riders, amazing craftsmanship nicely captured!

May 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2852 #19 · p.2852 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

And here is the heart of the hydraulic system. Note the eight batteries lined up at the sides of the trunk to provide power to the system.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hrD9-QVsmPo/UY8LgKftNAI/AAAAAAAAU2o/oFr55aMEBPU/s1000/24.2.8.NC.LowriderHydraulics.jpg

They are already half way there to get this into plug in hybrid configuration. Definitely impressive workmanship, even if the purpose is hard to comprehend for an outsider. Perhaps the purpose is unimportant at this level of modification, as it becomes more of a "because we can" thing

Love the Malibu steering wheel shot

May 12, 2013 at 02:21 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2852 #20 · p.2852 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Rafael, I loved the set of images from the car scene. The 18 seems the perfect lens for what you were doing. Today they held May Madness in downtown San Rafael with classic cars lining the main street. I'd forgotten about the event but as I drove home along an adjacent street I saw the barricades and then in the distance a few beauties. Inspired by your work I wandered about until I found a parking space and headed down to the event. Light was bright in the middle of the day so shooting was a bit challenging. I ended
...Show more

Curtis. great photos of an excellent event, I grew up in El Salvador with many relatives living in the Bay area and LA, this was back when the smell of leaded gasoline meant good times coming in a car or a boat, we did cruise the town to meet our friends in a very relaxed and happy way, and would talk endless about the latest engines and their horsepower. Those times are gone and the world is much more complex now, but the old car hobby is still strong, bringing good memories and a good time to us old timers, while conveying to the younger people a sense of the times past. Corvettes in particular, being two seat sports cars with no practical use, were very appealing to us kids. My attraction to these cars was sealed when my rooMmate at Berkeley owned one he received as a high school graduation gift from his optician dad, no real purpose to the car other than having fun.

Always been curious about San Rafael, should move there to escape SoCal and not have to spell my first name ever again.

Really liked the 105mm photo of the Chevy steering wheel, brought memories of riding the front bench seat of my godparent's Impala.

Edited on May 12, 2013 at 08:46 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2013 at 03:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password