1       2       3              2836      
       2838              5891       5892       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2837 #1 · p.2837 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67 wrote:
The last two days my DSL line was out of order, today att&t finally fixed it so I am playing catch up. Here are a few more from the Cape Cod trip, and one from our front yard on Sunday morning
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/20/828420.jpg
Bert

I really like this set, especially the second one with the carpenter. Don't you just hate it when the internet goes down?!

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:53 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2837 #2 · p.2837 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some amazing images the last couple of days. Been off the boil for a while - must be the winter although it's been very mild so far.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2837 #3 · p.2837 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Finally got out today and heard this little bird calling. I played the call on my I Phone and he popped out to take a look. The second shot is about life size taken with the 300 4.5 ED IF

Bar Throated Apalis

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM
StonePhotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2837 #4 · p.2837 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Bert, I love the Cape Cod shots. Such a beautiful area.

Samy, nice airshow shots. And did I notice some shots from Fells Point a few pages back? Very nice! Did you happen to see the show that's currently playing at the Vagabond? My neighbor is the younger blond lady playing one of the leads. Small world!

Peter, great Apalis pics. Those are right up my alley as far as small bird photography is concerned.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM
designdog
• •
p.2837 #5 · p.2837 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two subjects:

First, I can attest that the 25-50 4 and 50-135 3.5 make a perfect combination - for well lit photography. They are perhaps not the sharpest lenses out there, but they both have that 3D effect, due, I think to excellent color rendition. Add a 50 1.2 and you have a complete kit.

Second, this tube stuff is killing me! Curtis and Ronny, I don't know how you do it! I got set up with the 135 2 AI-s and the Vivitar 31 tube, got to about 3 feet from the subject - where I could focus "left and right" - but what a chore! The subject, an innocent flower whose species only my wife knows, drifted in and out of focus, possibly due to a vagrant breeze. The focus ring on the 135 is not the most responsive. Finally, what was in focus was but a small part of the flower, which held no interest for the viewer.

In frustration, and I am sure to the horror of members of this forum, I slapped on the 105 2.8VR micro, and had a much easier time of it. However the result was nothing artistic, to be sure.

I think I need to select a subject that is smaller, and spent a lot of time with it. Here is an example of my folly.

Jun 25, 2013 at 01:49 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2837 #6 · p.2837 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yes, Dave, shooting with tubes is both frustrating and rewarding. I learned early on that turning the focusing ring while shooting with tubes is not the easiest way to gain focus. What I do is find that position in relation to my subject that gets me close enough that when I gently rock back and forth, the image goes in and out of focus. And remember that the focal plane when shooting with tubes is much narrowed, so stopping down when shooting with a fast lens is a smart thing to do. Two of my favorite lenses for tubes with a maximum aperture of f/4.5 work fine wide open. Fast lenses I stop down unless I'm feeling wild and crazy.

You might want to check out the other thread I started that resides in the Macro World forum. It is titled Shooting with Tubes. You'll find quite a few of the folks hanging out on this thread posting images. I added an introduction that again reviews how best to use tubes. And there are dozens of remarkable images posted to inspire you.

Yes, you need a steady hand but most of all you need practice. And you shouldn't feel that an AF lens solves all problems when doing close work simply because most folks using those lenses also use tubes and come up with the same challenges.

Here's an old shot taken with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with 68mm worth of tubes attached. Although it was a bright day I had to shoot manual mode to keep the shutter speed higher than the focal length. It was wide open.

Keep shooting and remember to stop down a bit, keep your shutter speed up and try rocking gently back and forth. You may need to rely on what you see in the viewfinder rather than the green dot and you definitely will need to take a few photos. All in a days play...

You might also ponder your shooting technique if you're not getting sharp results with those two zoom lenses. At the least the copies I own are wonderfully sharp wide open. I was pretty amazed when i bought them at how well they perform.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2837 #7 · p.2837 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very sweet shots Peter with the lens that does everything well in a package that is easy to handle. Fine work.

I assume "off the boil" is a colloquialism for not feeling very well. It makes me think of England and I imagine the term is associated with heating water for tea. It is a wonderful term but likely hard to understand for someone unfamiliar with the importance of tea in parts of the world. Hope you get back on the boil Peter... And remember, you are on your way to Spring as surely as we're on our way to Autumn.

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2837 #8 · p.2837 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I tried something new... if you can imagine a flower shot in black and white. This was shot with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a 36mm Vivitar tube, then converted in Silver Efex Pro 2. It is an experiment, but not likely one I'll repeat soon or often.

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:17 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2837 #9 · p.2837 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

16mm 3.5 Fish but appears to be non AI and with no rings available now would need to be cut! Lousy listing no pics but a real decent price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Fisheye-16mm-3-5-NIKKOR-Lens-/181164507997?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2a2e3f035d

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:30 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2837 #10 · p.2837 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I tried something new... if you can imagine a flower shot in black and white. This was shot with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a 36mm Vivitar tube, then converted in Silver Efex Pro 2. It is an experiment, but not likely one I'll repeat soon or often.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lRZIrckxJ2E/UclGDCBwMNI/AAAAAAAAVZI/dcwYge_nJFo/s1000/300.36.LilySEP.jpg

I think this is pretty good Curtis. I find white flowers very hard to capture so why not a black and white for white ones.

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2837 #11 · p.2837 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Because this is a VERY orange flower...

This is a companion flower from the same shoot that I posted a few days ago...

But you are right about white flowers... I'll have to try that.

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Randy Roy
• • •
p.2837 #12 · p.2837 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This might be my first posting here. Taken with my old D50 and 75-150 Series E at 5.6:

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2837 #13 · p.2837 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jay and Curtis - thanks for commenting.

Curtis - my being "off the boil" relates more to my level of enthusiasm than to my health, which is fine. (perhaps my "mental health" needs examination")

On the subject of B&W flowers, Endre Balogh, alias "strad" is a master and his shots on the Black and White Vision Forum are works of art. This is one I found after a quick search but he has many that are much better http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1127905

His gallery of flower photos is at http://www.endresphotos.com/-/endresphotos/gallery.asp?cat=119826&pID=1&row=5

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:56 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2837 #14 · p.2837 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow Peter. Gorgeous stuff! Thanks for the link. That he is a violinist of great accomplishment is an interesting side note since for the last few weeks I've been exploring classical music videos found on YouTube and have been drawn especially to works for the violin. I'll have to do a search on his name to see what might be available. There are quite a few very talented violinists performing today and since video production has greatly improved with time, you'll find more performances by young talents than the more familiar stars of days gone by. It is amazing what is available on YouTube. I've been very taken by a young Japanese woman who was the youngest winner of the Paganini Competition in Genoa. I'll share a link to her performance of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. Watching her facial expression is a delight.

" target="_blank">Sayaka Shoji - St Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra

Sorry everyone for the digression...

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:16 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2837 #15 · p.2837 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Randy Roy wrote:
This might be my first posting here. Taken with my old D50 and 75-150 Series E at 5.6:

Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto. Sorry, I couldn't resist. One of my favorite movies.

Welcome to the thread Randy!

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:26 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2837 #16 · p.2837 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto. Sorry, I couldn't resist. One of my favorite movies.

Welcome to the thread Randy!

I guess with that comment I'm completely off the hook for my Tchaikovsky reference...

And yes Randy, welcome. Anyone who shoots MF with the D50 deserves our respect. No non-CPU register and a not very bright viewfinder demands skill. Nicely done.

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Randy Roy
• • •
p.2837 #17 · p.2837 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I guess with that comment I'm completely off the hook for my Tchaikovsky reference...

And yes Randy, welcome. Anyone who shoots MF with the D50 deserves our respect. No non-CPU register and a not very bright viewfinder demands skill. Nicely done.

Thanks. I see a D7100 in my not too distant future.

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:49 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2837 #18 · p.2837 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks
Great shot Peter and Curtis

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:57 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2837 #19 · p.2837 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Randy Roy wrote:
Thanks. I see a D7100 in my not too distant future.

If you go through this thread you'll find a great many photos taken with MF lenses and the predecessor of the D7100. I believe for anyone who prefers a cropped sensor that is a great choice and you'll be very happy mounting MF lenses. The non-CPU register makes life a great deal easier. Glad you found us Randy. Enjoy yourself.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:06 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2837 #20 · p.2837 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
16mm 3.5 Fish but appears to be non AI and with no rings available now would need to be cut! Lousy listing no pics but a real decent price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Fisheye-16mm-3-5-NIKKOR-Lens-/181164507997?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2a2e3f035d

Actually this is one of the first ones made in 1973. I bought mine for $299 a couple years ago so this seems to be a great price. As I mentioned yesterday I have a whole set of photos exclusively using the 16mm and D7000.
Randy welcome to the thread. This one would be a great lens for you. As a wide angle lens this provides around a 21mm coverage on a D50 or D7100

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/p1064651749

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password