Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2829      
       2831              4222       4223       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2830 #1 · p.2830 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan, that's a proud day, hope the rain holds off and you can get some good photo memories of the graduation!

John, those panoramas are great regardless of the parking ticket.

Chuong, beautiful work with the 300 + tube again, and don't make the last one in the series!

Kevin, that critter hugging the grass twig is a great catch. And those b&ws at the event with the unsung 50 1.8 Series E are very much professional class! Agree with Peter, hang on to it.

Ronny, your images with tthe 135 + 180 duo always deliver. Cool flower with the stamens peeking out.

Peter, look forward to your 600 f4 dump of photos here Good thing you are not dissuaded by the weight, but goodness, that version is nearly double the weight of the 500 F4P

Samy

May 02, 2013 at 09:34 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2830 #2 · p.2830 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
The $47 panorama of downtown Seattle on a fantastic early evening. Had just enough time to snap some pics before picking up the girls from gymnastics.

45/2.8 AI-P.

Nice one, I don't know if I've ever seen Seattle so bright and sunny. Too bad about the ticket.

May 02, 2013 at 10:22 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2830 #3 · p.2830 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Very nice processing on that image Ray. Amazing what one can do in post. That is one of the reasons i so enjoy that half of the image making process. Well done!

I agree, this one is better. The D600 files hold up amazingly well to just about anything you throw at them in post.

May 02, 2013 at 10:24 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2830 #4 · p.2830 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

***** BLOG UPDATE *****

Curtis' fourteenth post.

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/2013/05/curtis-fourteenth-post.html

May 02, 2013 at 10:37 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2830 #5 · p.2830 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

There is a manual focus lens in the space station. This is a link to Nikon Rumors.
"http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Nikon-D3s-ISS-NASA.jpg"

There are some on earth as well

Nikon Nikkor 8mm f/2.8 AIS Circular Fisheye 2.8 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on May 02, 2013 at 01:20 PM · View previous versions

May 02, 2013 at 01:13 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2830 #6 · p.2830 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I agree, this one is better. The D600 files hold up amazingly well to just about anything you throw at them in post.

I must say that with the D600's extreme dynamic range I enjoy processing digital files even more than I used to like the black and white darkroom, and all that without the chemical buzz from the developing fumes. You can do so much with these raw files and pull out things you just don't expect to be in those files. I should post some before-after shots of some of my recent images to illustrate that.

Maybe one of these days we will have monitors that do show more dynamic range - right now you just get to see part of what the file contains unless you do a pretty strong HDR job on them, which after just a few dozen files gets old real fast. On the other hand, having access to that data is great when you need it - like to save that overexposed shot by burning in that sky, just like in the old enlarger days when we just held up that cardboard and turned it on another 5 seconds to give that sky some cloud detail. Some call this cheating, but until monitors show 14 bits of dynamic range, we'll have do make those choices just like in the days of different weight Ilford print papers and selenium toners.

May 02, 2013 at 01:16 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2830 #7 · p.2830 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Thanks for telling us John. I was wondering.... I just hope you took more than 1 picture so that your cost per image was reduced a bit

Well, my real reason for stopping was to continue testing of my 24-85GVR and 24-85G non-VR against each other, but I had (as is the usual nowadays) the 45/2.8P on the D800 so I snapped a few pictures first with it before switching over to the AF zooms.

I had not used either of these zooms in a while and now that I've used them a bit I now fully appreciate how fantastic primes are . . . .

May 02, 2013 at 02:04 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2830 #8 · p.2830 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
....but I had (as is the usual nowadays) the 45/2.8P on the D800 so I snapped a few pictures first with it before switching over to the AF zooms.

I had not used either of these zooms in a while and now that I've used them a bit I now fully appreciate how fantastic primes are . . . .

That 45/2.8 gets knocked a lot. I have one too and just don't understand the loathing.

May 02, 2013 at 02:19 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2830 #9 · p.2830 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Nice one, I don't know if I've ever seen Seattle so bright and sunny. Too bad about the ticket.

Thanks Leighton - we are in the midst of an unusual stretch of very nice weather for so early in the year.
Believe it or not, but the sunny weather causes traffic jams - mostly I think because everyone in Seattle can't find their sun glasses since it was August since they used them last.

My first image was at 5:03pm - the ticket was given at 5:06pm - the parking enforcement person must have been stalking the place out to be there so fast!

Just realized I'm now over 4,000 posts - I find it hard to believe I've typed that many messages in this little window on FM.

John

May 02, 2013 at 02:44 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2830 #10 · p.2830 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

j.liam wrote:
That 45/2.8 gets knocked a lot. I have one too and just don't understand the loathing.

The 45/2.8P is certainly not perfect - the very extreme corners can be a bit mushy and it can be a bit slow in low light, but for the size, weight, etc. I find it fits my style perfectly. It's sharp in the central 2/3rds wide open and by f/5.6 it does the D800 proud. I think its ergonomics are not liked by many due to the very small aperture and focusing rings, but my average hands find it to be just fine. Wish Nikon would make more of these gems . . . not gonna happen though.

John

May 02, 2013 at 02:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

raboof
• • •
p.2830 #11 · p.2830 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks everyone for your comments on my flowers.

John - Maybe the city will buy that picture for $4,700.00

May 02, 2013 at 02:53 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2830 #12 · p.2830 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
The 45/2.8P is certainly not perfect - the very extreme corners can be a bit mushy and it can be a bit slow in low light, but for the size, weight, etc. I find it fits my style perfectly. It's sharp in the central 2/3rds wide open and by f/5.6 it does the D800 proud. I think its ergonomics are not liked by many due to the very small aperture and focusing rings, but my average hands find it to be just fine. Wish Nikon would make more of these gems . . . not gonna happen though.

John

You're spot-on with every observation on the lens. I am told the CV 40 is optically superior to the Tessar-design of the Nikon when it comes to corner sharpness, and of course, a stop faster.

What I'd love to see Nikon do is similar to what Canon did by introducing the stellar (and cheap) pancake 40/2.8 STM. Again, I agree that they won't replicate this little marvel, nor will they match the 8-15mm fisheye zoom.

May 02, 2013 at 03:01 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2830 #13 · p.2830 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

j.liam wrote:
You're spot-on with every observation on the lens. I am told the CV 40 is optically superior to the Tessar-design of the Nikon when it comes to corner sharpness, and of course, a stop faster.

What I'd love to see Nikon do is similar to what Canon did by introducing the stellar (and cheap) pancake 40/2.8 STM. Again, I agree that they won't replicate this little marvel, nor will they match the 8-15mm fisheye zoom.

I used to own the 40/2 CV and it was great on my D300 (though I could not focus the thing at all), but sold it before going to FX. I tried a used copy of the 40/2 they other day, but it had issues both optically and electronically so I don't think it was a valid test (sharpness was all weird across the image plane and the electronics were not working at all - seems like it had taken some kind of an impact). It's on my list of lenses to try again when I can find a good copy - until then the 45/2.8 will do me fine.

John

May 02, 2013 at 03:33 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2830 #14 · p.2830 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi All,

Been a while since I had the chance to get the camera out. Managed yesterday and it promply started raining so I put it back and very soggily went home again, but I do have 2 sets of photos I have been wanting to share from Garda and Verona in Italy

This set is from the city of Verona. I've shared some before from Verona with the 50mm but these are a few from parts I didn't get to last time, specifically the castly and the famous balcony.

These are all with the 35-70mm and it rained all the time + somehow I got sand in the focus ring, but such a well made lens was easy to clean and the conditions caused no issues.

The castle was the seat of military authority during the middle ages, guarding the river and the city. Being Italy the real power however was held by the families who controlled the money and this swung between rival families in bloodthirsty intrigue that would make the storyline of Dallas believable in comparison.
The castle guarded the bridge across the Aldige river and this is what derived the city much of it's power as this was one of few crossing points of the river. The ancient bridge was bombed in WWII and after the war the local historical society scoured the river for all the original bricks they could find and rebuilt the bridge, casting replacement bricks in the old technique as needed.

The Juliet balcony is the most famous landmark of Verona, except perhaps for the ancient Arena, and attracts thousands of visitors and letters each year. "Juliet" answers all the letters thanks to a team of local volunteers (although one wonders if the writers of these letters have read the play and what happens to the star crossed lovers at the end, maybe not the people you want to write for advise!)

Love locks at the balcony

It has become fashionable to touch the Juliet statue's left breast, not all approve though

People may wrtite messages to their loved ones on some walls

The castle and river

Bird and castle and a very rainy sky

May 02, 2013 at 03:49 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2830 #15 · p.2830 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Very nice processing on that image Ray. Amazing what one can do in post. That is one of the reasons i so enjoy that half of the image making process. Well done!

leighton w wrote:

pburke wrote:
I must say that with the D600's extreme dynamic range I enjoy processing digital files even more than I used to like the black and white darkroom, and all that without the chemical buzz from the developing fumes. You can do so much with these raw files and pull out things you just don't expect to be in those files. I should post some before-after shots of some of my recent images to illustrate that.

Maybe one of these days we will have monitors that do show more dynamic range - right now you just get to see part of what
...Show more

When I first got mine I shot jpegs until LR updated. I was even blown away by how those were handled as well. After all, it's to be expected, the sensor is second only to the D800 in DR according to DXO.

May 02, 2013 at 04:30 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2830 #16 · p.2830 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mark, I love the first and third shots in your set.

May 02, 2013 at 04:31 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2830 #17 · p.2830 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan, congrats on your son graduating.

John, great pano. At least you know what to sell the image for now. Also please share your 24-85 comparison test (of course not on this thread).

Ray, I like the revised night shot. I would keep that tripod handy to fend off pesky alligators.

Peter, thank you for the comment.

Rafael, that is some hunk of glass!

Mark, nice series from Italy. I like the fourth image of the castle and bridge.

May 02, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2830 #18 · p.2830 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, beautiful bokeh play with Nikki's "daughter."

Philippe, lovely antiques set.

Laura, great composition work on the plane shots. Now, get back to your homework young lady!

Peter, beautiful Azaleas. Hope you had a great time in the Eastern Sierra. It's one of my favorite places.

Scott, love the foreground tulips, stonework and gate shot. Really nice.

Thanks Samy. Great goose. Of the two versions, I'm drawn to the b&w.

Kevin, great portraits. When I was doing some lens research I found this clip discussing how popular Nikkor MF lenses have become with videographers, especially those using Canon bodies. http://nofilmschool.com/2012/03/manual-focus-nikon-primes-swiss-army-knife/

Ronny, really like the flower shot with the 135mm and tube.

Chuong, the red flower on green background is gorgeous.

John, $47? Well worth it! Great pano.

Mark, very nice set from Verona.

May 02, 2013 at 04:59 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2830 #19 · p.2830 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You definitely got a chuckle out of me Mark with the second shot. Perfect with the man at the right with his curious or disapproving visage. It is decades since I visited Verona but I imagine a place whose history extends back hundreds of years doesn't change that much decade to decade, at least not in the historic center. I stayed at a hotel close to this scene. It was magical. Of course, I'd met an American ballerina on the platform at Bergamo and shared an enchanting time with her, then drove with boyfriend to a caravan in the hills above Verona for an evening of red wine produced by the farmer on whose property their caravan was located. I spent my first night there. In the morning they "drove" me down to the city center, coasting the whole way because they couldn't afford gas. One of my fine adventures during that month long trip to Italy. That was 1975... where has the time gone...

May 02, 2013 at 05:21 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2830 #20 · p.2830 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Ray, thanks, here's the goose in color. Peter, it found its missing catchlight

I like this much better Samy Thank you
Scott thats a great idea cause I hate those pesky alligators

Edited on May 02, 2013 at 05:44 PM · View previous versions

May 02, 2013 at 05:40 PM
1       2       3              2829