Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2828      
       2830              4436       4437       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2829 #1 · p.2829 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
85 1.8 HC :

I like this. My only issue is the OOF building on the right, the bokeh is weird to me. Is this an artifact from shrinking to web or whomever is hosting the image?

May 01, 2013 at 08:35 PM
raboof
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2829 #2 · p.2829 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Again.. 300mm f4.5 with PK-13. This should be my last

May 01, 2013 at 09:01 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2829 #3 · p.2829 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Again.. 300mm f4.5 with PK-13. This should be my last

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_8754.jpg

Very nice! I like this one a lot.

May 01, 2013 at 09:30 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2829 #4 · p.2829 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You are demonstrating beyond ANY doubt Chuong, what a fine lens the 300 f/4.5 with ED glass is, with or without tubes. Personally, I think it is a great lens with tubes. This last shot is definitely a winner. Nicely done.

May 01, 2013 at 09:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2829 #5 · p.2829 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, congratulations on your new/old lens. You put that 50 f/1.4 S.C. AI'd to good use with that set of images. When I was shooting Canon I practically never used a 50mm lens and I owned both the 50 f/1.4 and the 50 f/1.2L. It wasn't until I started shooting with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s on my D700 that I came to appreciate that focal length. Among the three 50mm lenses I now own and the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd, I find myself using that focal length a great deal... at least when I'm not shooting longer and with tubes, which happens a great deal at this time of the year.

Keep up the good work.

May 01, 2013 at 09:54 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2829 #6 · p.2829 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Laura, congrats to your results in the exams! I like the B&W-picture of the old plane a lot, great textures and framing.

Ray from Ohio: I like Azalea #3 the most. And I agree with Leighton about the light.

Scott, very nice work with the 50/1.4 SC ! The background-rendering on shot #1 is typical for this lens (a bit more "action"-bokeh ;-) - I like this behavior for some shots a lot. The tulips in front of the wall/gate are very nicely taken.

Ray from Florida: I like your nicely framed nighttime-shot. For my personal taste it's a bit too dark (around the houses and trees).
It's always tricky to nail nighttime-exposures, maybe some local corrections in post would make the picture look a bit more "glamorous".

Samy, thanks for your comments! I like the goose-portrait: very nice B&W and great framing with the white branch.

David, congrats to your D800! Regarding the strap: I've never used a sling-type strap and probably never will. I'm pleased with my old fashioned, broad and comfortable Op-Tech-Pro-straps. A fellow pro-shooter (he's guitar-player in a local hardrock-band too :-) is using guitar-straps on his pro-sized cameras for decades now and really happy with it.

Peter - sorry, can't offer guidance regarding the 600/4. One of Nikon's super-teles is still on my wish-list.

Kevin, good job on the B&W-series, I like especially shots #2 and #3! The lady at the left looking at the models shoes makes this picture in my opinion. Very nice B&W-conversion! Shot #3 is a really nice candid.

Ronny, thanks for your comment! Love the jackdaw (?), your work with the 180/2.8ED and TC is highly inspiring.

Chuong, I really like the "sobriety" of your first flower-shot. Very effective work with just two colors. Keeping it simple is sometimes the best option Framing and colors of the second shot are beautiful as well.

Philippe, I love the framing on the street-scene.

May 01, 2013 at 11:36 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2829 #7 · p.2829 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter, maybe Jose has the 600 and can comment first hand on it? The 500 F4P is very much pro quality, the sharpness of the images is just striking. I have tried the TC14B, the TC16A and TC 301 with the 500 F4P. I don't do quantitative tests but the general feeling I get is there is very little loss of quality with those TCs.

The TC16A is great as it adds some rudimentary AF capability (you first manually focus to a narrow range around where the desired focus point is for that semi-AF to work). In cases of low contrast or low light, that capability doesn't work so well, but usually then neither does the focus indicator dot. The TC-16A needs to be modified to work on modern Nikons.

The cool thing about the F4 max aperture is the bright image in the viewfinder, compared to for example the 400 5.6. My 400 (nowadays generally with the TC16A attached) however gets a lot more work in general for hikes or trips. I need to look at a rolling carrier for the 500, I am not strong enough to carry it beyond 15-20 min

What application(s) will you use the 600 f4 for?

Samy

I could use some input from owners of AIS super telephotos - I'm about to buy a 600mm f4 AIS - I hope somebody will talk me out of it. Don't mention size and weight, since these things really are non-factors to me. I used to shoot the 600mm f4 USM Canon in the 90s, so I know what I am getting myself into. It was my favorite lens, ever.

My problem with the Nikkor AIS 600mm is that there isn't any actual data on image quality available other than comments that at f5.6 it is super sharp. Even harder to find
...Show more

May 01, 2013 at 11:46 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2829 #8 · p.2829 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Peter, maybe Jose has the 600 and can comment first hand on it? The 500 F4P is very much pro quality, the sharpness of the images is just striking. I have tried the TC14B, the TC16A and TC 301 with the 500 F4P. I don't do quantitative tests but the general feeling I get is there is very little loss of quality with those TCs.

The TC16A is great as it adds some rudimentary AF capability (you first manually focus to a narrow range around where the desired focus point is for that semi-AF to work). In cases of low
...Show more

Samy,

I think Jose has the 600/f5.6 - saw a lot of his posts on this site and others. The 500mm f4 is a lens a good friend owned back in the 90s and I know it can deliver the goods, but I always felt my Canon's 600mm reach (or 840 with 1.4x) was better suited for what we did (motorsports). The 1.4 was really perfect, hard to notice on any shots. 2x converters were soft and we rarely used them, and apparently these days that is still true even for the latest glass.

Since I posted this morning, I've found a few more reviews and examples and I am pretty much determined to go for a 600/f4 AIS late generation. I just can't make up my mind between a beater for $1800 (adorama), a decent condition lens from Canada for $2400 and a near mint one for $2800... currently leaning towards the nice one, as it is easier to resell should I change my mind. The Canadian lens auction ends tonight - but it probably is the least likely purchase, being from a foreign seller and without case or other accessories.

What will I use for? Other than flood this forum with flower pictures, I shoot cars, planes, landscape, deep zoom panoramas in the gigapixel range, portraits, etc. I don't do birds and other animals for the most part, but who knows, maybe I will find some subjects other than our oversized mosquitoes and black bears in people's garbage cans.

What you tell me about the TC16A is what I assumed it can do. The modified units should work on my D600 and allow me to grab a focus point if I get the lens pre focused in the ballpark. That's pretty much how we used the AF lenses in the 90s, since they just could not keep up with fast cars, we just locked them on an object at the distance we wanted to shoot, then turned off the AF and fired away in MF, waiting for things to roll through our focal plane. Technically, I think you can do that with the confirm-dot, so the TC16 may not be of that much use - key for me would be to know how the image quality of it compares to a TC14B which is allegedly the best TC for the 600 F4 AIS.

Thanks for the input - I really just have to make peace with the thought of putting almost 3 grand into something I may not use very often, even if it is something that holds its value quite well, thanks to Nikon's F mount still being current.

Peter

May 02, 2013 at 12:23 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2829 #9 · p.2829 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you everyone for the comments on the 50 1.4 SC images. I think I am going to like this lens very much. It seems to render OOF areas differently than my 50 1.4 AIS, more pleasing to my eye. Might be fun to try some side by side testing.

Everyone continues to post some very nice images.

Ray, nice night image. I did not think you had a tripod?

Samy, nice detail in the goose head shot.

Kevin, I like the macro and fashion show images.

Ronny, the flower image with the 135 is very nice.

Choung, nice work with the 300. I like the clematis flower.

Philippe, nice street scene. The sign has so much character.

Reagan, I am with Leighton, lets see some images from that little zoom.

May 02, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2829 #10 · p.2829 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My son graduates from college tomorrow. I will try and take it but it is supposed to rain most of the day
Anyone want to give him a job

Reagan

Chuong, great job with the flowers
Scott, I wished we had stone walls and iron gates around here but you probably wish you had the ocean and warm winters
Peter, love the work with the 20 3.5
Phillipe, you need your own thread

May 02, 2013 at 01:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2829 #11 · p.2829 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The $47 panorama of downtown Seattle on a fantastic early evening. Had just enough time to snap some pics before picking up the girls from gymnastics.

45/2.8 AI-P.

The $47 Panorama

f/5.6    1/1250s    100 ISO  

May 02, 2013 at 03:05 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2829 #12 · p.2829 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Now you might be saying to yourself "Why is John calling this the $47 panorama"?

Because at the exact moment I was taking these pictures I was getting a $47 ticket for parking in a trailer-only zone . . . . .

May 02, 2013 at 03:07 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2829 #13 · p.2829 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One more with the 45/2.8P - CPL used to get some saturation and bring out Mt. Rainier.

John

NIKON D800    45mm    f/8.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 02, 2013 at 03:24 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2829 #14 · p.2829 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Ray from Florida: I like your nicely framed nighttime-shot. For my personal taste it's a bit too dark (around the houses and trees).
It's always tricky to nail nighttime-exposures, maybe some local corrections in post would make the picture look a bit more "glamorous".

Thank you Scott: Ray, nice night image. I did not think you had a tripod?
Thanks Samy
Georg I had another look at this photo and I have to agree. The balance was off and too dark. I started again from scratch with my post work and I like the clarity and light in this version much better.
Scott I got a tripod given to me by a friend so I thought I would try it out. I wouldn't want to carry it very far

May 02, 2013 at 04:53 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2829 #15 · p.2829 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That's funny John. Always good to maintain a bit of humor in situations like that. Getting angry seldom helps. I always counted such occasion as reminders that an hour with a therapist would be much more expensive. Better to move on with my day.

That little lens is certainly a big performer John. Wonderful colors.

May 02, 2013 at 05:33 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2829 #16 · p.2829 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very nice processing on that image Ray. Amazing what one can do in post. That is one of the reasons i so enjoy that half of the image making process. Well done!

May 02, 2013 at 05:34 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2829 #17 · p.2829 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Curtis

May 02, 2013 at 05:52 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2829 #18 · p.2829 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Now you might be saying to yourself "Why is John calling this the $47 panorama"?

Because at the exact moment I was taking these pictures I was getting a $47 ticket for parking in a trailer-only zone . . . . .

Thanks for telling us John. I was wondering.... I just hope you took more than 1 picture so that your cost per image was reduced a bit

May 02, 2013 at 06:40 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2829 #19 · p.2829 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg - very nice shots of the tap and hoses and the buds

Chris - excellent B&W of the lighthouse - great tones

Kevin - the iris is a winner

Ronny - glad the snow has finally gone! Love the bird/

Jose - very good macro

Phillippe - you brought back great memories from 2001 of a lovely hot Provencal day with lunch in L'Isle sur la Sorgue - excellent series

Curtis - the chair at the ball game tells it's own story - great processing

Laura - only 100%? Well done! Again an excellent series. I'm amazed at the quality of the high ISO images

Ray - I like your azaleas. Perhaps you'd get more "pop" (if that's what you're after) by increasing the balacks a touch and using a black border in the frame rather than white?

Scott - congrats on the "new" addition. I love the tulips.

Ray - really nice night shot

Samy - the goose is good and would be perfect with catchlight in its eye

Kevin - excellent "street" images. Do not get rid of this lens!! Despite plenty of opportunity I find it really difficult to get decent skin tones shooting dark skinned people - you have nailed these exposures perfectly without overexposing the backgrounds. Well done.

Chuong - stunning flowers

May 02, 2013 at 07:02 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2829 #20 · p.2829 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, thanks, here's the goose in color. Peter, it found its missing catchlight

May 02, 2013 at 09:09 AM
       2830              4436       4437       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell