Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2827      
       2829              4067       4068       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2828 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Leighton, I'd love to jump over the big pond for a visit of your fine country, but that's just not possible in the near future.
Maybe Curtis can help you out on the beer-front (Mihai, if memory serves there was a MF-Nikkor-meeting in Florida some time ago, beer was involved, Curtis too ;-).

leighton w wrote:
Yes Mihai, Curtis is a connoisseur of fine beer!

CGrindahl wrote:
Go away for a few hours of house hunting in the Sierra Nevada mountain foothills and return to hear my name being thrown about in a conversation of beer, wine and brandy. I must be in the right place!

And yes, it is true, Ray, Reagan and I stumbled on a very fine pub in Boynton Beach, if I recall correctly and enjoyed some excellent beer. But as comments suggest, I'm an equal opportunity drinker. The only requirement I have is that it must be good. That doesn't necessarily mean expensive, as I've found of late as I explored a
...Show more

We've only been planning this for two years now.

Still thinking about your friend in the chair.

May 01, 2013 at 10:00 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2828 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
A little less excited looking through LR than I was looking through the viewfinder this morning, lighting is a little harsher than I thought through the viewfinder ... but here's my contribution to the flower posts. Suggestions on framing and PP welcome.

Ray, the composition is very nice but here's what I think. I'm not a big fan of shooting flowers in direct front lighting from the sun, it flattens the look. If it's in part shadow or perhaps side/back lighting then it's fine. It's the same as if you were shooting portraits with the sun directly behind you shining on the subject. If you can't avoid the shooting angle, then try diffusing the light.

Just my 2 cents.

May 01, 2013 at 10:07 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2828 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Took a walk today with a new to me 50 1.4 SC (Yes Curtis, it has a knurled focus ring, my first thanks to Reagan).

I love this one Scott, good foreground subject and an excellent background. Well seen.

May 01, 2013 at 10:09 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2828 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy - The twig on the right makes this shot in my opinion.

Ray - I like it, too bad I can't seem to stay up late enough to try my hand at night shots. I do however get the occasional early morning ones.

May 01, 2013 at 10:11 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2828 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Ray, the composition is very nice but here's what I think. I'm not a big fan of shooting flowers in direct front lighting from the sun, it flattens the look. If it's in part shadow or perhaps side/back lighting then it's fine. It's the same as if you were shooting portraits with the sun directly behind you shining on the subject. If you can't avoid the shooting angle, then try diffusing the light.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Leighton. I agree with the flattening, and the shadows cast by the stamen is a little distracting to me too. The location of the plant means direct morning lighting, and shooting from the side or back has some less than appealing background. I do need to work it more, and will try the diffused lighting soon (hopefully the flowers hold up).

May 01, 2013 at 10:36 AM
designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2828 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Onward and upward!

Finally made the decision to break with Fuji and the XP1. Traded that kit and my D700 for a D800, which should be here today.

Interestingly, what finally put me over the top was a junket with my wife to an herb fair, where I took only the D700 and the 25-50 4 AI-s.Tethered with the R strap, it was comfortable to hold and shoot, and, mostly utilizing f8, a cinch to focus. My photos, while not good enough to post here, just blew me away. What a lens! Here is hoping it performs as well, or better, on the D800. (I love the 24-70 2.8 af, but it is so big and heavy compared to this one!)

Only downside is all the shots, while high in quality, look point and shoot, as they are shot at large apertures. This week we are leaving for Myrtle Beach, and I will take my 85 1.4 and 105 2.5 with me...

Side note: have read some bad press on the R strap and accidents with the connector (I added my camera and lens to my insurance policy!) Any comments on that, or tips for better straps, etc. would be appreciated.

May 01, 2013 at 01:42 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2828 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I could use some input from owners of AIS super telephotos - I'm about to buy a 600mm f4 AIS - I hope somebody will talk me out of it. Don't mention size and weight, since these things really are non-factors to me. I used to shoot the 600mm f4 USM Canon in the 90s, so I know what I am getting myself into. It was my favorite lens, ever.

My problem with the Nikkor AIS 600mm is that there isn't any actual data on image quality available other than comments that at f5.6 it is super sharp. Even harder to find is a side-by-side with the 500mm f4. It's not something that gets properly reviewed these days.

I have been considering the 500mm f4, but the prices are very close for similar condition lenses, as the size/weight difference does seem to draw people to the 500mm, which should sell for less, but there seems to be more demand. I look at it like this: neither lens will go backpacking with me for more than a day trip, so I want the one that has the most reach. I understand that these days the ISO performance of digital bodies reduces the need for f4.0, but since I want to use teleconverters, the 600mm f5.6 for example isn't something I'm interested in. And most of all - even should I decide in a year that I don't use it enough - buying and selling is probably cheaper than renting a modern 600mm for a single weekend. These things hold their value pretty well, especially now with modern DSLR bodies giving you full metering and focus assist.

Regarding TCs - has anyone used TCs on both, the 500f4 and 600f4? Which 1.4x works best? What about the 1.6x that adds some basic AF capabilities?

May 01, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2828 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Onward and upward!

Finally made the decision to break with Fuji and the XP1. Traded that kit and my D700 for a D800, which should be here today.

Interestingly, what finally put me over the top was a junket with my wife to an herb fair, where I took only the D700 and the 25-50 4 AI-s.Tethered with the R strap, it was comfortable to hold and shoot, and, mostly utilizing f8, a cinch to focus. My photos, while not good enough to post here, just blew me away. What a lens! Here is hoping it performs as well, or better, on
...Show more

David, since you like the 25-50 so much maybe you should send me another $100
that would be the gentleman's way of doing things

In the beginning I used to take a long thin ty-rap and attach it to my camera eyelet on 1 side and then thru the R-Strap but after a year I took it off since nothing ever happened. It gave me piece of mind for a while

Reagan

May 01, 2013 at 03:00 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2828 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This group is with the 80-200/4.5 and the PK 13

50% crop

_DSC7918 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC7936 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC7941 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Edited on May 01, 2013 at 03:22 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2013 at 03:18 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2828 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Black and whites with the Series E 50/1.8... Shot in the street photography style.

My friend Markette, he will make a name for himself someday in the video field, even if he uses Canon.

_DSC7961 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Fashion show during Admin Assistants day at American River College.

_DSC7978 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Literally shot from the hip. I used the range markings on the lens to set my min/max focus distance and had the D7000 on quiet mode. Made things appear that I was just holding my camera to stop it from swinging. Actually got a few good shots.

_DSC8004 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

May 01, 2013 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • •
p.2828 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

Literally shot from the hip. I used the range markings on the lens to set my min/max focus distance and had the D7000 on quiet mode. Made things appear that I was just holding my camera to stop it from swinging. Actually got a few good shots.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8398/8696704623_790b5eacc5_b.jpg
_DSC8004 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

so what you're saying is you didn't have him sign a model release?

very crisp looking images. I never use my 50mm (probably because I have f1.2 envy).

May 01, 2013 at 04:05 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2828 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
so what you're saying is you didn't have him sign a model release?

very crisp looking images. I never use my 50mm (probably because I have f1.2 envy).

I like the 1.2 also, but that's no excuse for not using what you have! The subject of the image you mentioned works at the college in public relations I believe, built in waiver.

May 01, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2828 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, I thought that package looked familiar
You didn't even have to spring for a new box

Reagan

May 01, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2828 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks

Great shot Phillipe ..love that last set
Scott love the bokeh
Ray: Really nice shot
Georg: Very good as usual
Samy :Great goose shot
Laura : Nice set
Jose :Great shots
kevin :Love your last set

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s tc-200 teleconverter by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Edited on May 01, 2013 at 06:03 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2013 at 05:57 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2828 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

300mm f4.5 with pk-13 again. No sharpening. Just some WB adjustment.

May 01, 2013 at 06:01 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2828 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chuong the 300 4.5 is wonderful using a tube. Gets you nice and close. Well done
Ronny I love what you are doing with the flower shots. I meant to comment earlier on a similar angled shot that you took a few days ago. SO sharp! What was the F stop setting?
Kevin I like what you are doing with the B&W shots. What F stop were you using?
Samy thank you for the comments I really like you head shot but I would love to see it in color!
Ray I actually like the shadows the stems produce. The last shot to me is the best!
Laura congrats on your school work. I admire you for that and the fact that you can still squeeze in some photo time
Leighton thanks for the comment. It was taken around 9:30 pm.

May 01, 2013 at 06:14 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2828 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks! Here you go Ray (FL).

Exif data

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture f/2.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
Metering Mode Spot

Exif data

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Program Manual
Metering Mode Multi-segment

Exif data

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
Metering Mode Spot

May 01, 2013 at 07:45 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2828 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some beautiful flower shots on this page!

Reagan, Glad you got it, it's a nice little lens. Let's see some images from it.

May 01, 2013 at 08:05 PM
designdog
• •
p.2828 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
David, since you like the 25-50 so much maybe you should send me another $100
that would be the gentleman's way of doing things

In the beginning I used to take a long thin ty-rap and attach it to my camera eyelet on 1 side and then thru the R-Strap but after a year I took it off since nothing ever happened. It gave me piece of mind for a while

Reagan

Reagan:

Momma raised me to be a gentleman, but not to be a fool! Now I am going to have to get a 50-135 to complete the set!

Thanks for the tip. Just trust the r strap, and keep checking the connection...

May 01, 2013 at 08:15 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2828 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

85 1.8 HC :

May 01, 2013 at 08:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell