Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2822      
       2824              3819       3820       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2823 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
From Oppède-Le-Vieux with the 180 and the 85 HC Ben forced me to buy ;

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/83/804483.jpg

Philippe, classy and "atmospheric" set before this one, and in this one I liked the most this village (?) scenario: tack sharp and with your usual perfec PP!

Apr 29, 2013 at 02:04 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2823 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
Resorted to faithful golden hour chase yesterday morning. Got a couple with MF lenses I like. Not terribly inventive I know :-). Today is rainy and dreary in northwest Ohio.

Both with the D800 and 50-135 f3.5 AIS. I find flare tricky to manage with the sun in the picture with this lens, thus the omission of the sun within the first picture. I have others of the same setting with the sun in the picture with the 70-200 VR2, so there has been progress in the battle against lens flare. I tried to work for some form of artistic flare
...Show more

Ray, simply stunning picture!

Apr 29, 2013 at 02:20 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2823 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

And one more or two more or three more flower shots before I head out and take photos of baseball... These were all shot with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd without tubes... I really like this lens, in part because of its size but also because of its performance.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ow6J7YZlO7E/UXyvRNPfP1I/AAAAAAAAUgw/fiRCn-G7ZDI/s1000/200.QC.IrisPair.jpg

Curtis, what lovely flowers. Glad to know you liked so much this lens (my "fault" ).

Apr 29, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Foggy14
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2823 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi gang, it's good to be back. Here's a quick one from the roof of the Museum of Contemporary Art in La Jolla. In case you have any doubts, I have it on good authority that, yes, this is fine art.

Boats Nikon D800 Nikkor 180mm 2.8 ais 1/500s f5.6 ISO 100

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:25 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2823 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, just 2 day out and you guys displayed so many great images.

Thanks Mihai, Georg, Rafael and Samy for the comments.

Rafael, great set with the 180 + TC16A, the flowers with "Nikki's daughter" are amazing, and welcome to the "200/4 QC club"!

Peter B, your work with the 20/3.5 continues to reveal excellent pictures and PP;

James, beautiful flower buds and the dragonfly 8 stacked image is jaw dropping;

Georg, another great picture with the 24/2: beleive it or not, this weekend I made a test of the 24/2.8 NC againt the maligned 24/2 ais and the latter won both at shot and infinity distances, including borders! It could be my copy but I will probably let the 24/2.8NC go;

Ben, very nice sets with the 24 PCE;

Samy, loved the unusual posing of the squirrel and the bokeh playing with the 5.8cm/1.4;

Chin, lovely "paladin queen";

Curtis, excellent triptych sequence, but you left me hungry

Chuong, very nice flower with the 300/4.5.

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:40 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2823 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton, Scott, Jose for the encouraging words on the sunrise shots. I've probably missed a few people on the willow and deer pics as well, but just know that it's appreciated.

georgms wrote:
Ray from Ohio - very nice work at the river! My fav is the first shot - what a beautiful mood, captured in a proper fashion.
Maybe you could have gotten a sunburst with the sun in a branch fork (when I try to get sunburst, I try to hide the sun a little bit to make it smaller).
A small movement of the camera can make a big difference.

Thanks for the tip Georg. I did try your suggestion that morning, and the picture I posted was about as good as I've could get on that day. I don't doubt that with the right skill and circumstance that it's possible to coax a sunstar from the lens. I'll put up a different version when I get home this evening, maybe I can learn from some tips form the gang here.

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:11 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2823 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:

Thanks for the tip Georg. I did try your suggestion that morning, and the picture I posted was about as good as I've could get on that day. I don't doubt that with the right skill and circumstance that it's possible to coax a sunstar from the lens. I'll put up a different version when I get home this evening, maybe I can learn from some tips form the gang here.

My esperience with the 20mm f3.5 shows that the most success can be had by keeping the sun off center, f22, and underexposing heavily. With a camera like the D600, two stops under is no problem. You have to avoid that the sun area goes beyond the sensor's upper range, while pulling detail out of the shadows is usually still possible, and since it's back lit, you can have it a bit dark and it will still look correct. Or shoot HDR - the dark frames will have the sun burst, the brighter ones the detail you may lose.

Peter

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:20 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2823 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
My esperience with the 20mm f3.5 shows that the most success can be had by keeping the sun off center, f22, and underexposing heavily. With a camera like the D600, two stops under is no problem. You have to avoid that the sun area goes beyond the sensor's upper range, while pulling detail out of the shadows is usually still possible, and since it's back lit, you can have it a bit dark and it will still look correct. Or shoot HDR - the dark frames will have the sun burst, the brighter ones the detail you may lose.

Peter

Thanks Peter, will have to keep that in mind next time I'm out.

Ray

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:27 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2823 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few more with the 20mm f3.5 from the High Sierra, all on D600

feels like I processed this one a little too much, or at least the sharpening went over my usual limit f/8 1/320s ISO 100

f/8 1/250s ISO 100

f/11 1/125s ISO 100, polarizer. yes, it is that steep in the "chute" - also called "the blowling alley" for the constant rock fall danger

same place on the way back down f/8 1/32s polarizer ISO 100

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:35 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2823 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, very interesting bokeh play with the two tubes. Like the second pic best.

Georg, love the pianist, though I did not notice the third hand until I saw the comment on it.

Scott, nice use of color and neutrals in what I presume to be skunk cabbage rising up from the ground.

Rafael, the enchanted elfin forest looks like a great place to park and wait for something to happen with a camera.

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

georgms
• • • •
p.2823 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
Thanks Leighton, Scott, Jose for the encouraging words on the sunrise shots. I've probably missed a few people on the willow and deer pics as well, but just know that it's appreciated.

Thanks for the tip Georg. I did try your suggestion that morning, and the picture I posted was about as good as I've could get on that day. I don't doubt that with the right skill and circumstance that it's possible to coax a sunstar from the lens. I'll put up a different version when I get home this evening, maybe I can learn from some tips form the
...Show more

Ray, I was really curious about the possibility to get sunstars/sunbursts with longer lenses. So far it was easily possible to create sunbursts with lenses up to 35mm (with the sun partially hidden behind something).
With the full sun in the frame superwides like the famous 20/3.5 or the fisheyes work best (at smaller apertures, of course).
This evening I've tried the 180/2.8ED. To my surprise it was easy as well, with the same cheap trick: the sun should be partially hidden behind branches, trees or something else.
Unfortunately this doesn't work at short ranges, so I've tried to create an out-of-focus sunburst behind something worth a picture.
Here's a quick shot from this evening, not a really good picture, just an example to illustrate my experiment:

just a sunburst-test von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Nikon D700, onboard-flash at maximum power to act as fill, Ais 180/2.8ED at f/11, cropped a wee bit
Usually I would give a shot like this a hefty SEP-treatment, this is just the Fuji-Acros-preset and a mix of blue-and green-filter, no structures-filter applied.

Apr 29, 2013 at 06:04 PM
m1mgd00
• •
p.2823 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to take some pictures of a pianist during his "warm-up" for a concert.
I hate to take pictures during classical concerts - my DSLR's are way too loud for most concerts and the completely silent Nikon V1 (in electronic shutter mode) is challenged at higher ISO-settings.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7044/8691112682_89d8437324_c.jpg
Nikon D3s at ISO1250, 1/250sec, Ai 24/2 wide open, a tiny dose of bounced flash

Just catching up and have been enjoying the extreme close-ups and the rich color of flowers, cacti, etc., yet this B+W conversion from Georg really grabbed me.

Mike

Apr 29, 2013 at 06:31 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2823 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
A few more with the 20mm f3.5 from the High Sierra, all on D600

feels like I processed this one a little too much, or at least the sharpening went over my usual limit f/8 1/320s ISO 100

f/8 1/250s ISO 100

f/11 1/125s ISO 100, polarizer. yes, it is that steep in the "chute" - also called "the blowling alley" for the constant rock fall danger

same place on the way back down f/8 1/32s polarizer ISO 100

Great images! I too find it hard to convey with pictures how steep things really are - sometimes they look steeper than reality while others they look not steep enough.

- John

Apr 29, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • •
p.2823 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wonderful pictures everyone
Have just taken pictures with my zeiss lenses the recent past
so don't have much new

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Apr 29, 2013 at 07:22 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2823 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hello all! I haven't dropped by to chat in awhile, but I still am taking time at least every day or two to peruse all of the new images that are posted. So much wonderful work is showing up here each day.

I've been doing some senior and family jobs lately and I can only add to what Georg, Tony, and several others have shown, MF glass is great for the business of photography:

Probably 40% of my shooting for paid jobs is going through the 50/1.2, 5% with the 180/2.8. I really should pull out my 105/2.5 too... The newer G glass has been nice for dealing with shots with lots of point light sources, backlighting, etc. and I've been tempted to swap the 50/1.2 for the newer 50/1.8G. I'd be very sore to trade my favorite lens though, so for now I stick to 85mm if I'm going to shoot straight into the sun

Apr 29, 2013 at 07:46 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2823 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Also, if anyone wants a very nice, clean copy of the 50-135, mine is listed on the B&S board as I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. I find that I am too much of a prime shooter.

Apr 29, 2013 at 07:48 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2823 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, Jose, Scott, Paul and Mike - thanks for your comments on the pianist-shot! Really much appreciated.

Peter, another really nice set!

Jeff, great to see you're posting again. Hope the eye-surgery went well. Love your fine image of the "bunch of boats".

Ronny, love the delicious shallow Depth-of-Field on your images with the 180/135's! Nice to see that spring has arrived in Sweden too :-)

Huddy, nice to hear/read from you! Lenses with a special rendering like the 50/1.2, the 24/2 and others have for sure a place in portraiture (in my opinion).
But sometimes AF or more recent optics are handy too (my favorite portraiture-lens right now is the 28/1.8G - thanks for your recommendation over at the 28mm- or AF-S-lenses love film-thread).

Leighton, your Onions-shot made me hungry (that's a compliment ;-).

Rafael, wow, that 200/4 QC on your F2 is a beauty The "Enchanted elfin forest" is wonderfully captured.

John, can't get enough of your sunset-panos!

Curtis, you're clearly on a roll with those strange looking old lenses ;-) Nice work, I really enjoy the variety of your shots!

Scott, very nice set! Hard to pick a fav - maybe it's the moose acting as a weathercock.

Chuong, beautiful flower-shot! You guys here made me re-think the use of the 300/4.5 - it was for me just a long-distance lens.

Apr 29, 2013 at 08:19 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2823 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg - I really like the sunburst shot. The B&W conversion is top-notch as well.

Ronny - Both are good but the 135mm has that "look" to it!

Alan - Good to see you again, I can't believe you're selling the "little gem"!

Apr 29, 2013 at 08:21 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2823 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:
Hi gang, it's good to be back. Here's a quick one from the roof of the Museum of Contemporary Art in La Jolla. In case you have any doubts, I have it on good authority that, yes, this is fine art.

Good to have you back Jeff. I hope your eye is much better. Nice shot BTW.

Apr 29, 2013 at 08:25 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2823 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Finals week, and I should be studying instead of goofing off

© NightOwl Cat 2013

© NightOwl Cat 2013

© NightOwl Cat 2013

Apr 29, 2013 at 08:28 PM
1       2       3              2822      
       2824              3819       3820       end