Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2820      
       2822              4243       4244       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2821 #1 · p.2821 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

what prize do I get for that 2 millionth view?

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:23 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2821 #2 · p.2821 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some shots from the Blues band we had Saturday.

House of Blues/50-135mm/3.5 ais by Leighton W, on Flickr

Lady Sings the Blues/50-135mm/3.5 ais by Leighton W, on Flickr

Golden Guitar/50-135mm/3.5 ais by Leighton W, on Flickr

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 09:50 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:25 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2821 #3 · p.2821 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
We're about to reach 2 million views!

Remarkable, though what is really impressive is the rate of posting by folks who visit the thread. We're at about 1 post for something less than forty views, whereas the Best Nikon Shots is about 1 post every 130 views. Even the Mustang Air to Air has a rate above 1 in 50. I'm guessing that threads become more engaging when a dedicated community of photographers shares an interest as we do with these outstanding lenses.

I think we need to create a baseball cap with a snappy saying on it like "I'm brave enough to turn a focusing ring..."

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:43 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2821 #4 · p.2821 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Those market portraits are great Leighton! I'm not one for zooms, but that one seems to produce very agreeable results on the tele end (I assume!).

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:45 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2821 #5 · p.2821 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
Those market portraits are great Leighton! I'm not one for zooms, but that one seems to produce very agreeable results on the tele end (I assume!).

Thanks Philip, yes it does seem to stay at the long end most of the time. That must mean I need a 135mm.

I'd be happy to trade a 50mm f1.2 for a 135mm f/2.

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:53 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2821 #6 · p.2821 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
what prize do I get for that 2 millionth view?

The same prize given to the posts before and after 2 million... the opportunity to spend time with a great group of people... I'm delighted you decided somewhere along the way to spend more time on the thread Peter. I love your work, both old and new. And its great that we have at least one person left from Wisconsin now that Monty has become lost in the world of AF photography. Eventually, you'll have Spring... I think...

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:56 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2821 #7 · p.2821 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:

+1 I've always been a big fan of your market shots Leighton and the D600 seems every bit as capable as the D7000. Doubtless your MF lenses are happy to be home on an FX camera. And yes, the 50-135 f/3.5 AI-s is an outstanding lens that is perfect for this kind of shooting.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM
bruni
• • •
p.2821 #8 · p.2821 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton, Samy , Peter, Phillippe.

We call me a "diva" here too - but usually not to my face (nah, who am I kidding , often to my face). It's a boring shot - everyone who crosses that overpass takes that shot - it the equivalent of a shot of the Eiffel Tower lol.

Leighton I'm talking about the VSCO presets for Lightroom/Photoshop - they have a lot of Fuji and Kodak presets - makes the shots look like old film stock. Then you can adjust it as you want in the usual way.

Peter - "normal" looked a lot colder - bluer. The contrast was different too - not more or less - just different.

btw Leighton - love those blues band shots with the 50 - 135mm - amazing results you get from that lens.

ben

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM
bruni
• • •
p.2821 #9 · p.2821 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
I keep wondering if I'll not try to swap my 50mm f/1.2 AI-s out for a 45mm PCE at some point too, I think because of the "normal"ness of the 50--yes it has the ultrabright aperture, but for bokeh play the PCE would be more fun (I think), and I'm doing less and less roaming around at night or visiting fine establishments with colleagues now that my daughter is here. It makes for a good argument for keeping a dynamic kit, these changing life situations.

I'm really eager to hear about your experiences with the Voigtlander 180mm f/4 if you do
...Show more

Phillip - I'll be interested to hear what you think of the 45PCE if you go that way - it's tempting me. But I'm saving my pennies for the upcoming Zeiss 55mm f1.4.

ben

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2821 #10 · p.2821 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
Flowers, flowers - at least I get to see these wonderful things online. It'll be a week before the first will even begin to bloom here.

So I take you back to winter instead. Fisheye-envy overcome with software - here's a 14 image stitch, vertical orientation, for a full 360 degree horizontal (and 86 degree vertical) view of our camp below Mt. Whitney two weeks ago. All frames f8 1/250s ISO 100

But a 360 view at sundown is always a compromise in exposure (i.e. flat and gray at best), so here's a view to the interesting light in the south, which
...Show more

These are awesome shots! You do the same kind of climbing that I do it seems - you are welcome to come out to Washington and climb with us any time!

- John

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • • •
p.2821 #11 · p.2821 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Let's keep the post to view ratio low - another pano stitch - 209 degree view this time, again with the 20mm f3.5 vertically held, total of 11 overlapping frames. All stitching done in Microsoft ICE, which deals with big panos way better than Photoshop. All source frames f8 1/320s ISO 100, polarizer. Sorry for the 1400 pixels blowing out some monitors, but that's the only way to look at this unless you go to Photosynth to see it in the viewer

Peter

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2821 #12 · p.2821 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
These are awesome shots! You do the same kind of climbing that I do it seems - you are welcome to come out to Washington and climb with us any time!

- John

I'd love to - we could even share a tripod Do yo do ski touring? I went to CA mostly to ski, but it turned out too little snow for that this spring, and then I had too much for some climbs. Still good for photos, since short of in a total whiteout, the Sierra is always a great subject.

I've only been in the northwest once, many years back, St. Helens and Rainier, but didn't have the gear then to summit. Still on my bucket list...

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2821 #13 · p.2821 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Why am I not surprised that our two mountain climbing, snow loving members would create a mutual admiration society... Of course, you are both producing stellar work in the snowfields of the West. I've enjoyed your recent images a great deal Peter, though you won't find me trudging around in high altitude snow, or low altitude snow for that matter. Warm weather for me from now on. 27 years in Minnesota was more than enough...

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2821 #14 · p.2821 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the game. Of course, for kids this age, the game is a bit different because every inning ALL team members are either in the field or taking their turn at bat. The inning ends not with three out but only after everyone has had a chance to bat. There may be five infielders and six outfielders and one of the coaches does the pitching for his team. It is quite wonderful. Everyone is encouraged. AND, there were hotdogs. I was shooting with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd and caught these three shots. I couldn't resist a triptych...

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2821 #15 · p.2821 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, Peter, Paul, Philippe, Ray - thank you guys for your kind comments!

Rafael, very nice work with the 85/1.8 (and the 16/2.8AF too). My favs are the shot of your Corvette and the close-up of the pineapple (somehow I like the hexagonal highlights here).

John, your images look like a really happy family-weekend. The local baseball-team is sharing an occasionally mowed meadow with the local rugby-team - soccer is king over here;-)

Peter from Knysna - thanks for the informations about your coast. I was just curious about the sharks.

Leighton, I like your B&W-portraits a lot. And the bent tulips too. And "Red&Yellow" too ;-)

Ben, "Rode Out West" is one of your best shots with the 24PC-E so far (in my opinion). The framing is top-notch and I like your post-processing as well.

Peter from Madison - very cool mountaineering-shots! Love the first pano. And regarding the cell-phone-image - I've thought at first: "Cool, a photographer with a proper lightmeter!". Times are changing for sure

Philippe, I like especially the 180mm-view of the old church. I shoot buildings too often with a superwide-lens - walking a good way back and shooting with a longer lens is in many cases the better approach (but time-consuming, right?).
The street-shot is fantastic too - love the "Produit de Quality"-sign above the texting lady ;-)

Ray from Ohio - very nice work at the river! My fav is the first shot - what a beautiful mood, captured in a proper fashion.
Maybe you could have gotten a sunburst with the sun in a branch fork (when I try to get sunburst, I try to hide the sun a little bit to make it smaller).
A small movement of the camera can make a big difference.

Samy, the squirrel-shot made me smile! Beautiful work with the 58/1.4 and the tubes too (personal fav is #2)!

Curtis, nice action-squence packed into the triptych!

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2821 #16 · p.2821 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
Phillip - I'll be interested to hear what you think of the 45PCE if you go that way - it's tempting me. But I'm saving my pennies for the upcoming Zeiss 55mm f1.4.

ben

That'll be a lot of pennies, which we just got rid of here in Canada!

I find all the PCE lenses interesting, but it'll be some time before I make any plunges on new lenses. I need to find a real job first, now that school's almost up.

Speaking of Zeiss, I'm worried that the rumours of Zeiss making a 28mm f/1.4 in the same series as the 55 you're interested in are true. I'll almost be required to buy that lens given how much I enjoy the 28mm focal length.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2821 #17 · p.2821 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to take some pictures of a pianist during his "warm-up" for a concert.
I hate to take pictures during classical concerts - my DSLR's are way too loud for most concerts and the completely silent Nikon V1 (in electronic shutter mode) is challenged at higher ISO-settings.

Nikon D3s at ISO1250, 1/250sec, Ai 24/2 wide open, a tiny dose of bounced flash

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2821 #18 · p.2821 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Kit building is forever John... Sometimes that involves selling lenses and sometimes it involves buying the same lens again when we discover we miss it. Or like Reagan we buy and sell and buy and sell because life in Florida is so boring there's nothing else to do... Oops, I may find myself there one day and I'll have to eat those words...

This time sold 2 bought 1 and its not boring in Florida. I turned down a more than decent profit to keep the SS
and now a set of headers is tugging at me

My son graduates college this Thursday so maybe I will have a little more money every month. Just too many hobbies

Reagan

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2821 #19 · p.2821 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another flower. Shot with a 300mm f4.5+ PK-13. No sharpening.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Paul Gabel
• •
p.2821 #20 · p.2821 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to take some pictures of a pianist during his "warm-up" for a concert.
I hate to take pictures during classical concerts - my DSLR's are way too loud for most concerts and the completely silent Nikon V1 (in electronic shutter mode) is challenged at higher ISO-settings.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7044/8691112682_89d8437324_c.jpg
Nikon D3s at ISO1250, 1/250sec, Ai 24/2 wide open, a tiny dose of bounced flash

Georg, the mystery hand sneaking up in the picture is marvellous!

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password