Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2819      
       2821              4261       4262       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2820 #1 · p.2820 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Some of the flowers from the market.

MDoc9523 wrote:
Wow Leighton this is terrific!

jhinkey wrote:
+1 - A real eye-catcher of an image Leighton!

Thank you too John! I'm always startled at the terrific bokeh this lens has. It does take a little work in post to get the best out of it, but it holds up real well to any type of conversion.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:02 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2820 #2 · p.2820 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
John, are you sure you want to let your 50mm f/1.2 AI-s go?!

Yes, yes, I know I shouldn't.

I've take a lot of nice images of my girls with it - and that's what I mostly used if for. But we've entered a new phase in our household - the girls no longer want to go to parks/playgrounds after dinner or on the weekends. This has been replaced by homework and tons and tons of reading (no TV in our house!). It's a bit of a bear to lug around casually for me - that's the job of the 45/2.8P (which is really no worse to have on your camera than a body cap . . .). Plus I have the 50/1.8G for any large aperture work that's needed.

I just have not used it much - so it needs to find a deserving home. Plus I'm saving up for a 180/4 APO Voigtlander to be my ~200mm prime (my 200/4 AIS ran out of gas at 36MP and my 180/2.8D was too big to casually carry around or hike with and is long gone).

I'm working on the following prime line-up:
16/3.5 (of course)
20/2.8D (I may swap the D for the AIS at some point)
45/2.8 AI-P or 50/1.8G
90/3.5 CV
135/2 AIS or 135/3.5 AIS
180/4 CV (if I can find one at a decent price)
400/5.6 ED AI
500/4P (maybe sometime this year if business is good)

Nothing is static in life and I feel it's time to change my lens lineup to adapt to what's going on in my family's life. The one downside to selling some of my MF Nikkors is that I'll have less of an opportunity to inflict my images upon you guys in this forum.

- John

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 07:39 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:09 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2820 #3 · p.2820 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
John, are you sure you want to let your 50mm f/1.2 AI-s go?!

jhinkey wrote:

I've take a lot of nice images of my girls with it - and that's what I mostly used if for. But we've entered a new phase in our household - the girls no longer want to go to parks/playgrounds after dinner or on the weekends. This has been replaced by homework and tons and tons of reading (no TV in our house!). It's a bit of a bear to lug around casually for me - that's the job of the 45/2.8P (which is really no worse to have on your camera than a
...Show more

Kinda of sad in a way, but inevitable. My 2 girls were always hams when they were young and then it suddenly happened. Awww Daaaad, don't take my picture. So we went through a phase where it was like pulling teeth to get a snapshot of them. But they're both married now and they know there's nothing they can do to escape from my camera. Sounds like you're about to start the same season of life.

Funny you should be thinking about selling your 50/1.2, I've been thinking about letting mine go as well as I also don't use it much. I'm just not crazy about that FL. But before I do, I'm going to take it to the Market next Saturday and give it a good workout to see If I'm nuts or not.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:18 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2820 #4 · p.2820 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kit building is forever John... Sometimes that involves selling lenses and sometimes it involves buying the same lens again when we discover we miss it. Or like Reagan we buy and sell and buy and sell because life in Florida is so boring there's nothing else to do... Oops, I may find myself there one day and I'll have to eat those words...

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:20 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2820 #5 · p.2820 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
***** BLOG UPDATE *****

Curtis' ninth, tenth and eleventh posts.

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/

Leighton told me he'd posted the last blog entry I'd given him so I had to go to work and this morning sent him four more... Idle hands are the devil's playground and I don't want my friend in Virginia to get in trouble...

Kidding, of course. Leighton has really been the glue that kept the Great Lens Adventure together since all these lovely photos quickly disappear in the stream of work posted on this thread. We really needed a repository for those images, perhaps as a companion to a book...

As an inveterate Chatty Cathy, I can just talk and talk in one more place. What fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlTR3lTGdk

Thanks Leighton, for all your hard work. I promise to keep you busy at least one more week. I still have three or four more entries to pull together.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:29 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2820 #6 · p.2820 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Kit building is forever John... Sometimes that involves selling lenses and sometimes it involves buying the same lens again when we discover we miss it. Or like Reagan we buy and sell and buy and sell because life in Florida is so boring there's nothing else to do... Oops, I may find myself there one day and I'll have to eat those words...

I know something you don't know. But I'll let Reagan tell it.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:29 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2820 #7 · p.2820 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Leighton told me he'd posted the last blog entry I'd given him so I had to go to work and this morning sent him four more... Idle hands are the devil's playground and I don't want my friend in Virginia to get in trouble...

Kidding, of course. Leighton has really been the glue that kept the Great Lens Adventure together since all these lovely photos quickly disappear in the stream of work posted on this thread. We really needed a repository for those images, perhaps as a companion to a book...

As an inveterate Chatty Cathy, I can just talk
...Show more

It's been my pleasure as well as an honor to be a part of this.

I have been putting ALL the images in a Dropbox folder that I plan on sharing when all is said and done. I was going to have a Pinterest page, but I found out you had to "pin" each image separately and I wasn't up to the task.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2820 #8 · p.2820 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
Resorted to faithful golden hour chase yesterday morning. Got a couple with MF lenses I like. Not terribly inventive I know :-). Today is rainy and dreary in northwest Ohio.

Both with the D800 and 50-135 f3.5 AIS. I find flare tricky to manage with the sun in the picture with this lens, thus the omission of the sun within the first picture. I have others of the same setting with the sun in the picture with the 70-200 VR2, so there has been progress in the battle against lens flare. I tried to work for some form of artistic flare
...Show more

Both are very good - I don't think the flare's a problem at all.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:46 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2820 #9 · p.2820 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One more flower shot, since it's so slow.

Red & Yellow/50-135mm/3.5 ais by Leighton W, on Flickr

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2820 #10 · p.2820 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
One more flower shot, since it's so slow.

Beauty!

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2820 #11 · p.2820 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And one more or two more or three more flower shots before I head out and take photos of baseball... These were all shot with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd without tubes... I really like this lens, in part because of its size but also because of its performance.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:52 PM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2820 #12 · p.2820 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

More work with the 5.8cm 1.4S with 2X PK-13 extension tubes. All of these were at f/2.8. At 57mm extension with this lens, the working distance is a few cm.

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:11 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2820 #13 · p.2820 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Outstanding colors in that flowers pic up there Leighton. And looks like Jose's hard sell worked for Curtis

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:13 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2820 #14 · p.2820 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Phillippe - love Provence. Have you visited Bonnieux and Gordes on this trip? Photographers paradise!

!

Not this time, Peter. I visted L'isle sur la Sorgue, Oppède, Ménerbes, Lourmarin, Cassis and last but not least the fantastic Baux de Provence.
But I lived in Aix-en-Provence a few years ago and I know Bonnieux, Gordes and all the region quite well.

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:40 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2820 #15 · p.2820 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

50 1.8 ais :

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:41 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2820 #16 · p.2820 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Peter and Samy.

Samy, you're really doing some nice works with the close-ups lately. I really like this one:

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:41 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2820 #17 · p.2820 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Flowers, flowers - at least I get to see these wonderful things online. It'll be a week before the first will even begin to bloom here.

So I take you back to winter instead. Fisheye-envy overcome with software - here's a 14 image stitch, vertical orientation, for a full 360 degree horizontal (and 86 degree vertical) view of our camp below Mt. Whitney two weeks ago. All frames f8 1/250s ISO 100

The full 171 megapixel experience is here for online viewing

But a 360 view at sundown is always a compromise in exposure (i.e. flat and gray at best), so here's a view to the interesting light in the south, which you'll see
somehwhere in that pano above if you look real hard. (20mm f3.5 @f8 1/160s ISO 100)

and the real modern mountaineering dilemma: searching for signal so you can post new stuff on Facebook! 20mm f3.5 @f5.6 1/100s ISO 100, polarizer

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:52 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2820 #18 · p.2820 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
So I take you back to winter instead. Fisheye-envy overcome with software - here's a 14 image stitch, vertical orientation, for a full 360 degree horizontal (and 86 degree vertical) view of our camp below Mt. Whitney two weeks ago. All frames f8 1/250s ISO 100

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/20mmf3.5/camp_360_pano_stitch_web.jpg

Winter. . . YECH! But I do like this one.

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:58 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2820 #19 · p.2820 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:

I've take a lot of nice images of my girls with it - and that's what I mostly used if for. But we've entered a new phase in our household - the girls no longer want to go to parks/playgrounds after dinner or on the weekends. This has been replaced by homework and tons and tons of reading (no TV in our house!). It's a bit of a bear to lug around casually for me - that's the job of the 45/2.8P (which is really no worse to have on your camera than a
...Show more

I keep wondering if I'll not try to swap my 50mm f/1.2 AI-s out for a 45mm PCE at some point too, I think because of the "normal"ness of the 50--yes it has the ultrabright aperture, but for bokeh play the PCE would be more fun (I think), and I'm doing less and less roaming around at night or visiting fine establishments with colleagues now that my daughter is here. It makes for a good argument for keeping a dynamic kit, these changing life situations.

I'm really eager to hear about your experiences with the Voigtlander 180mm f/4 if you do end up purchasing a copy. It is nearly half the weight of the NIKKOR*ED 180mm f/2.8 AI-s, and loses only one stop, and gains built-in macro (kind of), and apochromaticity, so both it and the 125mm f/2.5 are forever of interest to me, though now the recently released Zeiss 135 Apo-Sonnar may trump the 125mm (since they are in the same ballpark price range too)...

Kit building is certainly forever!

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:14 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2820 #20 · p.2820 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We're about to reach 2 million views!

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:22 PM
       2821              4261       4262       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell