Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2806      
       2808              4183       4184       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2807 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 24mm arrived today, tomorrow I hope to collect the 135mm and a file.

On Solo parent duty for a couple of weeks so not much time between work and the little lad but hope to get some more tests done this weekend if the nice weather holds but already reckon I'm gonna like this beauty, although what is it with people not sending lenses with a rear cap?

Oh, just seen James' shot of the 20mm reversed, add reversed lens shot to the tests to do. fantastically sharp shot of the needle. Did you spot any camels trying to pass through the eye?

F2.8 at MFD

And why not stick on some tubes and have a look at f4

Not the best test shot but stopped down at f/11

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:27 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2807 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Part of the Ringling Museum is a building dedicated to the circus. A complete miniature circus is behind glass and the details are amazing. What an undertaking it was when the circus came to town. Literally hundreds of people, animals and tents were unloaded from trains. This display shows in detail how this was accomplished. This is one display very much worth the time it takes to navigate.
All of the shots were taken with the D600 and 35mm 1.4 AIS

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:29 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2807 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mark congrats on the 24mm 2.8. It is one of my favorite lenses and i spent all day yesterday with it attached to my D600. It certainly works well on a crop camera as well.
James it's nice to see you - wonderful shot!

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:39 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2807 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great collection of photos Ray. I never went to the circus in a tent I'm sorry to say, That would certainly be magical. I did, however, see the circus a number of times as a boy which was held in a huge auditorium in downtown Minneapolis. It was definitely exciting as a young boy. Seems like this is a remarkable place to visit. Thanks for sharing these and other photos.

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:51 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2807 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Funny thing Ray and Reagan... the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd I just bought comes from Lake Worth, Florida. I guess that means there are more like minded folks there than I imagined. It is still too hot for me though, so if I can stay in California I will.

I took out the 200 f/4 AI-s for a spin this morning, with the PK-13 mounted. I only had a short while as I waited for Sue who had an appointment. Not much to shoot, so I got creative...

And, my favorite...

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:58 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2807 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Curtis and Ray.

James, welcome back and nice work with the 20/2.8 reversed;

Curtis, I liked the most the first "creative shot" - B&W and grainy. (edited)

Resuming the "Roman Emperors Columns", this is the only decent pano of another almost intact monument in Rome:
The Column of Emperor Marcus Aurelius. As Edward Gibbon wrote, this was the last of the good Roman emperors.

Marcus Aurelius Column, Rome, 4-shots pano East view by labecoaves, on Flickr

Marcus Aurelius Column, Rome, 4-shots pano East view

4 shots pano. Taken ~45 m from east, cloudy afternoon.
D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd & CPU'd hand held, ISO 200, f/5.6 at 1/250s.

The spiral bas-relief tells the history of Danubian or Marcomannic wars. Unfortunately the original inscriptions at the base and the Marcus Aurelius statue at the top were replaced in the Middle Age. The column is ~30 m high and 3.7 in diameter. The original pano had some 11000 px, this one is "just" 6000px.

Edited on Apr 25, 2013 at 02:05 AM · View previous versions

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2807 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, nice work with the 200/4 Ais! Love the punchy processing of the bolt and the "edgy" framing of the Nissan.

Ray, very cool close-ups of the display! The shot with the green cabriolet is my personal fav - love the 35/1.4's rendering. And thanks for the info regarding the bricks.

Mark, congrats to your 24/2.8! It's a very good and versatile lens. Can't wait to see your pictures in the Winogrand-style ;-)

James, amazing work with the reversed 20/2.8! Nice to see you here again.

Mihai, great available light portrait!

Jose, those columns (and your pictures) are amazing in their detail-richness. Thanks for sharing!

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2807 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
My father was in the US Air Force and my mom is German. We traveled mainly to see family on both sides of the wall. We did do some sightseeing also, but mostly in the western countries.

Okay, now I understand - thanks, Kevin! Traveling beyond the Iron Curtain must have been a thrilling experience for a young man/boy. I'm sure you still can remember the typical East-German brown-coal- and two-stroke-gas-smell ;-)

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2807 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Georg.

Mark, congrats on your new 24/2.8. Is it the scalloped N or N.C version?

By coincidence last Sunday I made the AI conversion of the Nikkor-H.C 24mm f/2.8 (one more 99% Curtis guilt ) myself. Not a pro work but more than enough for me:

Nikkor-N.C 24mm f/2.8 ring conversion to AI by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 ais hand held.

Nothing special, subpar shots, just to show the easy task of filling off the original aperture ring, with the final cosmetic touch (matte black paint).

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2807 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Georg and Leighton.

Georg, impressive set with the 24mm f/2 - you are the master of this lens! I loved too the "fun shot" of the moon - my dream is someday capture an owl with the moon in the background.

Peter B, fantastic sets, I liked the most the "threatening clouds" with the 20/3.5.

Jose, thanks! Yes, I love the temperamental 24/2. It has many flaws but it's kinda unique in it's rendering. To be honest - my 14-24/2.8 is wide open probably sharper in the corners than the 24/2 stopped down to f/8, but using the old lens can be a lot of fun. I have to check out the distortion someday - I was amazed by the difference (in terms of background-distortion) at different focusing ranges.
I hope your owl-moon-picture will become reality someday, but that's for sure very hard work mixed with a good bit of luck...

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2807 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Thank you Curtis and Ray.

James, welcome back and nice work with the 20/2.8 reversed;

Curtis, your debut with the 200 QC is great, I like the most the first creative shot - B&W and grainy.

Resuming the "Roman Emperors Columns", this is the only decent pano of another almost intact monument in Rome:
The Column of Emperor Marcus Aurelius. As Edward Gibbon wrote, this was the last of the good Roman emperors.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8259/8670233966_ec4b6d5c24_o.jpg

Marcus Aurelius Column, Rome, 4-shots pano East view by labecoaves, on Flickr

Marcus Aurelius Column, Rome, 4-shots pano East view

4 shots pano. Taken ~45 m from east, cloudy afternoon.
D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.8
...Show more

Another awesome shot and history lesson Jose -
So, I assume somewhere on line there exists an "un-wrapped" image of the this whole column so that you can see the continuous story that is being told?

John

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2807 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
I'm finding it difficult to even keep track of you'all. Here is a recent one...Nikkor 20mm f2.8 reversed

http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/76816TouchofBlue-web.jpg

Very nice. Love me some reverse macro.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2807 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Okay, now I understand - thanks, Kevin! Traveling beyond the Iron Curtain must have been a thrilling experience for a young man/boy. I'm sure you still can remember the typical East-German brown-coal- and two-stroke-gas-smell ;-)

Oh yeah, I remember watching those Trabants inching along their autobahn's at a snails pace...

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2807 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Georg.

Mark, congrats on your new 24/2.8. Is it the scalloped N or N.C version?

By coincidence last Sunday I made the AI conversion of the Nikkor-H.C 24mm f/2.8 (one more 99% Curtis guilt ) myself. Not a pro work but more than enough for me:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8678553523_54e3d8e2a1_o.jpg
Nikkor-N.C 24mm f/2.8 ring conversion to AI by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 ais hand held.

Nothing special, subpar shots, just to show the easy task of filling off the original aperture ring, with the final cosmetic touch (matte black paint).

I am on the verge of doing this to two of my lenses... I am scared to though...

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2807 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, you misread my 200 f/4 photos... they were will the AI-s version. I shot in anticipation of the Q.C. arriving, though when I checked shipping it appeared the lens could come as late as next week. But wouldn't you know, when I left to run errands early in the afternoon there was a box on the stoop. I opened it an hour later and found a very sweet copy of the Q.C. Needless to say I had to take some flower photos. Here are photos of two yellow roses taken a day apart. First the shot already posted taken with the 180 f/2.8 with a PK-13 attached. That was middle of the day in bright light. The second was taken a few minutes ago around five in the afternoon. It was only after looking at the images I'd taken that I recalled the earlier shot, so there was no attempt on my part to duplicate what I'd done before.

What I can say about the Q.C. is its added weight and size make it a much more comfortable lens with which to shoot than the AI-s version. In fact, it feels a bit like the 180 in my hand and I love shooting with that lens. I think the Q.C. will get more use if only for that reason. I'd also say after having browsed through a few photos, some of which I'll post on the thread, that this old lens with an earlier optical design is no slouch. As with the Sonnar designed 105 f/2.5, there is real character here.

And here is a photo of another flower I shot with the 180. Mmm, Jose is my new guru... Great recommendation my friend.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2807 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I really like this one, very simple. But the mountains in the background makes it.

+1. Very nice.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2807 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
<rant mode on>
Have been extremely busy at work, and can barely spare usual hour to browse through my personal reads when I'm home
When you spend thaaaat much time at work staring at the computer screen, it becomes a chore after
Yet I'm behind, with less than happy bosses breathing down my neck

<fellow worker mode on>
I hope things ease up a bit for you at work. It can get like that at times. Try to get out and snap a few images. Works for me to relieve stress.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2807 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
The 24mm arrived today, tomorrow I hope to collect the 135mm and a file.

On Solo parent duty for a couple of weeks so not much time between work and the little lad but hope to get some more tests done this weekend if the nice weather holds but already reckon I'm gonna like this beauty, although what is it with people not sending lenses with a rear cap?

Oh, just seen James' shot of the 20mm reversed, add reversed lens shot to the tests to do. fantastically sharp shot of the needle. Did you spot any camels trying to pass through
...Show more

Mark, nice work with the 24. I especially like the first image in your series.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:56 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2807 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A couple of more photos taken with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd. I like this lens!

Both shot wide open and cropped.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:08 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2807 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Peter and Ray for the comments.

Ray, I like the bank door and circus shots.

Georg, nice images with the 24 and the V1 "moon-shot".

Curtis, the Porsche emblem seems to be floating in the sky.

Jose, another wonderful stone column pano. The detail is amazing! Gutsy work on the aperture ring.

James, nice close-up of the needle and thread.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password