Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2805      
       2807              3788       3789       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2806 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott and Curtis, thank you!
Scott, my new old Forester is Subaru #3 for me - love these cars (no wonder, my first own car was a 26hp, two-stroke and two-cylinder "Trabant").
Curtis, yes, I really love photography. I'm shooting 3/4 of my life now and photography is still magic for me.

Mihai, Kevin, Peter & Peter, Leighton and Reagan - thanks for your comments!

Kevin, the alley is the "Dammchausse" from Bad Doberan to Heiligendamm. Behind the trees on the left side are the tracks for the famous "Molli"-train. What did you do back then in both parts of Germany?

Peter from WI - I really don't miss the "Grenztruppen" and the Stasi, but I'm happy that some of the vestiges of the former GDR still can be seen. Wiping away all signs from a dark past is not the way to go.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2806 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter from WI - excellent series from Manzanar! The very first shot is fantastic. Your set reminds me a bit of the movie "Snow falling on cedars".

Rafael, wow, that's a nice bunch of Nikkors

Ray, what's the story behind the names on the stones surrounding the manual water pump?

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2806 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A shot from today (the light was sub-optimal):

it's all about the safety... von georgsfoto auf Flickr
"It's all about the safety..." - D3s, Ai 55/1.2 wide open, 1/8000sec

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2806 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

D600 + 105/2.5 P in a very challenging light, at ISO 6400

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:05 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2806 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

No Kevin, you see a 50-300mm ED, I had a 200-600 k once and it was a dull sample with a scratch in one of the inside glasses, sign of the worst lens evil, repair men.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:11 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2806 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
I don't suppose one of them is a #44 for a 135mm f/2.8 Q.C.? I have a lens and just need to track down the kit but it seems 43 and 45 are more common.

Nope Mark, no kit #44. Will inventory this weekend and let everyone know what I have, there is a few treasures like 35mm 1.4 and 24mm 2.8, 8mm 2.8, etc, in there.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:14 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2806 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Nope Mark, no kit #44. Will inventory this weekend and let everyone know what I have, there is a few treasures like 35mm 1.4 and 24mm 2.8, 8mm 2.8, etc, in there.

Thanks for letting me know. I think that the conversion is easy to do if you don't mind using a file on your lens so I will see how good looking the lens is when it arrives before I decide if I was to take a file to it or not, if not I will keep an eye out, one will crop up somewhere I am sure. Failing that an F3 camera. At $50 for the lens I can afford to be patient.
I see you have one for an 8mm 2.8. Hmmm, then all I'd need is to find an 8mm lens to mount on the front of it, these lenses do get cheaper as you have less mm you have to pay for right?

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:03 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2806 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. I think that the conversion is easy to do if you don't mind using a file on your lens so I will see how good looking the lens is when it arrives before I decide if I was to take a file to it or not, if not I will keep an eye out, one will crop up somewhere I am sure. Failing that an F3 camera. At $50 for the lens I can afford to be patient.
I see you have one for an 8mm 2.8. Hmmm, then all I'd need is to find
...Show more

Rafael, I would add to Mark's comment this link:

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/02/06/nikkor-ai-conversions-diy/

I am not good with handwork, but it is so simple that I got the job done. One of the advantages is that you mantain the original scalloped aperture ring.
Contrary to the link's suggestion, I see no need to remove the claw from the lens:

Nikkor 200mm f/4 ais and non-ai Q.C versions (aperture & focusing rings detail) by labecoaves, on Flickr

Nikkor 200mm f/4 ais and non-ai Q.C versions (aperture & focusing rings detail)
D6000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-S, ISO 200, f/11 at 1/2s.
Side by side comparison of AIS (left) and non-ai (ai'd) Q.C (right) versions. Focusing & aperture rings detail.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:27 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2806 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Georg and Leighton.

Georg, impressive set with the 24mm f/2 - you are the master of this lens! I loved too the "fun shot" of the moon - my dream is someday capture an owl with the moon in the background.

Peter B, fantastic sets, I liked the most the "threatening clouds" with the 20/3.5.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:31 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2806 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Scott and Curtis, thank you!
Scott, my new old Forester is Subaru #3 for me - love these cars (no wonder, my first own car was a 26hp, two-stroke and two-cylinder "Trabant").
Curtis, yes, I really love photography. I'm shooting 3/4 of my life now and photography is still magic for me.

Mihai, Kevin, Peter & Peter, Leighton and Reagan - thanks for your comments!

Kevin, the alley is the "Dammchausse" from Bad Doberan to Heiligendamm. Behind the trees on the left side are the tracks for the famous "Molli"-train. What did you do back then in both parts of Germany?

Peter
...Show more
My father was in the US Air Force and my mom is German. We traveled mainly to see family on both sides of the wall. We did do some sightseeing also, but mostly in the western countries.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zichar
• • • •
p.2806 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some amazing photos in the last few pages. Glad to see Ian back.
Georg, Peter amongst the many that I've glanced at
I don't know how you guys can keep producing such wonderful images!

<rant mode on>
Have been extremely busy at work, and can barely spare usual hour to browse through my personal reads when I'm home
When you spend thaaaat much time at work staring at the computer screen, it becomes a chore after
Yet I'm behind, with less than happy bosses breathing down my neck

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2806 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
....Curtis - the roses are spectacularly sharp. It makes me wonder if perhaps some of the pre ai lenses aren't a tad better built than their replacements? These are two of the best separated images I've seen - as good as the 50 1.2...

I was shooting those roses at f/2 which is considered the sweet spot for the 50 f/1.2 AI-s in terms of sharpness and yes, the older lens performed equally well in my opinion. I'll have to shoot with it a bit more in daylight to make a final judgment of how well the 50 f/1.4 S.C. AI'd performs wide open. When I shot at night the images appeared a bit soft but that might have been a problem for the D700 in finding focus. There is a slight veil in the f/1.2 lens but it is usable wide open. Hopefully, I'll feel the same way about the S.C. I really think it is a great value for the money. Of course, from what I read neither the optical formula nor coatings change so one would expect later f/1.4 MF Nikkors to perform equally well, though perhaps at a price premium.

About cars Peter... for a time I took it as a matter of pride to bury the speedometer of every car I owned. I'm fortunate that all my foolishness with cars never resulted in anyone, including myself being hurt. I have a dear friend involved in a car accident on the night of his high school graduation that resulted in his hip being broken. He was in a body cast for many months and still walks with a heavy limp. Fast cars and booze are not a happy mix. My friend wasn't driving. Two people in the car were killed. Remarkably, the driver walked away with minor injuries.

And, of course, I believe I've mentioned that I was standing on the curb no more than ten feet away from my friend who was changing a tire I'd retrieved from the trunk when a hit and run driver killed him. The whole scene became a blank for me and though I know it happened, I really have no visual or auditory memory of the event. I've finally become a safe and sane driver. My car can go fast, but I'm no longer inclined to do so...

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2806 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I must say Jose, that your conversion looks really fine, especially since you concluded the rabbit ears don't need to be cut down as many folks have done. It looks clean. And yes, the scalloped aperture ring is a very nice feature of these older lenses that is lost in conversion. If I get caught at some future date with a pre-AI lens for which I can't find a conversion kit, I may buy a file... Don't tell Ben I said so though...

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:09 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2806 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

If anyone has AI kit #5 and/or #36, please let me know!

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:20 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2806 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
is there a 12-step program for Nikon MF lens addicts?

Step 1 - 50mm f1.8
Step 2 - 50mm f1.4
Step 3 - 50mm f1.2 (now you're hooked)
Step 4 - 35mm f1.4
Step 5 - 85mm f1.4 (really lost it now)
Step 6 - 300mm f4.5 ED
Step 7 - 180mm f2.8
Step 8 - 16mm f3.5 (no going back now)
Step 9 - 500mm f4
Step 10 - 58mm f1.2 (now you're certifiable)
Step 11 - 300mm f2
Step 12 - 13mm f5.6 (why not? got everything else?)

Damn, I've selectively hopscotched through 6 of those 12 steps already and am 'certifiable'. Just went back & added step #8 yesterday. I think I'll pass on 11 & 12, leave it to the die-hards. My daughter needs to have her eduction paid for still....

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:42 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2806 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott I love this one. It shows the old and the new living side by side!

Curtis this one shows just how delicate a rose really is

Jose what a beautiful flower

Georg well done!

Peter love the post work in this one

Mahai great portrait

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:11 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2806 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Jose leighton reagan and Georg.
Georg the bricks with names was a financial plan to raise money to restore the train depot into a welcome center. People would donate and have loved ones memorialized in stone around the original water pump.

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:14 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2806 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

***** BLOG UPDATE *****

Curtis' third and fourth post.

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:52 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2806 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm finding it difficult to even keep track of you'all. Here is a recent one...Nikkor 20mm f2.8 reversed

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:05 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2806 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
***** BLOG UPDATE *****

Curtis' third and fourth post.

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/

Thanks Leighton and Curtis. Great to see those wonderful pics up on the blog.

Jose - Thanks for the link on the Ai Conversion. Got a note in the post to say the lens is here to pick up!

Georg & Peter (WI) amazing shots from some stark places.

Jeff, all the best for the eye.

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password