Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2795      
       2797              4183       4184       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2796 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Curtis, thanks! Yes, "playing" with new gear (lenses, but also other tools like the Nikon V1 or flash-stuff) is one receipt to re-invent or re-think given subjects. I've gone through several phases - the "strobist"-phase, the super-wide-phase, the shallow-DoF-phase and lately I just try to mix it all ;-)
The tilt-shift-lenses are amazing in their capabilities and the PC 85/2.8D is one of my favorite lenses right now.
I hope you'll find a good place to capture the baseball-game.

It turned out I won't be able to go to the game tomorrow but I did stop today for what was scheduled as a team photo shoot and was able to grab a few photos of the young man whose mother is becoming a friend. These were shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. A game will have to wait for a bit.

Processed with SEP.

A crew of hard working young men were herding young baseball players, taking orders from parents of photos, buttons and cards; group shots, individual shots, buddy shots. I've little doubt these guys made a great deal of money today, churning out photos.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2796 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Interesting observation about the 24 2.8, George. I just haven't used it in months, may need to check it out more. I went back and looked at larger size photos of the tree with the two lenses. The corners/edges are just smears in the 20UD image (and that's after a bit of cropping at the edges). The 24 2.8 AIS image is sharp all the way across the frame (no cropping). Maybe a slight falloff at the very far edge of the image, but not much, still can make out distinct grass blades at the edges of the bottom corners.

Not sure if that's just my copy of the 20 3.5 UD.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2796 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Got out this evening - brr, windchill right at freezing.

Been reading really fast when I get breaks, nice work everyone. Maybe I'll return tomorrow and add some well deserved comments on some great images.

Fallen Timbers Monument w/20mm f3.5 AI

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    20mm    f/8.0    1/125s    400 ISO    +1.3 EV  

Fallen Timbers Monument w/50-135 AIS

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    50mm    f/5.6    1/640s    400 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:11 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2796 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

No Curtis, sometimes I am just a simple disciple of you, the main devilŽs adjutant

Anyway, some samples with the old 200 Q.C + 3T (1.5 diopters) close up lens:

single shot at f/11:

Single shot test with Nikkor-Q.C 200mm f/4 F aiŽd + 3T close up lens by labecoaves, on Flickr
Single shot test with Nikkor-Q.C 200mm f/4 F aiŽd + 3T close up lens

This is some of the first test shots with the 1.5 diopters 3T close up lens.
D6000 + Nikkor-Q.C 200mm f/4 F aiŽd hand held, ISO 1250, f/11 at 1/200s. ~10% cropped.

2 shots focus stacking at f/8:

Focus stacking test with Nikkor-Q.C 200mm f/4 F aiŽd + 3T close up lens by labecoaves, on Flickr

Focus stacking test with Nikkor-Q.C 200mm f/4 F aiŽd + 3T close up lens
D6000 + Nikkor-Q.C 200mm f/4 F aiŽd hand held, ISO 1250, f/8 at 1/500s.
This is a composite of 2 images focus stacked. Ideally tripod must be used, but the "burst mode" of camera allowed 2 images in quick sequence - virtually in the same place.

This old lens delivers rich colours.

I made a test with 200QC vs. 200 ais today, at close up and infinity distances, hopefully tomorrow I will post here some samples.

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:12 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2796 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Although the 24 f/2.8 in its various iterations is well reviewed, my affection for the 28mm focal range meant that the 24 f/2.8 AI-s I bought some time ago got very little use. It wasn't until I picked up the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd that I really put it through its paces and I am very impressed. I have this photo on my 27" desktop and as a friend says, there are no flies on that photo...

I imagine I'll rely on the 24 for wide shooting from now one, except, of course, in those instances where I really need the 20. But as I've said, I don't think the UD will make it to my kit. The AI-s has not let me down.

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:15 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2796 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And since Jose is dropping flower photos on the thread, I'll do the same. This was shot a bit differently from how I typically approach this kind of shooting. No tubes, no telephoto lens... this is with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd shot at Minimum Focusing Distance. Slightly cropped, shot at f/11.

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:22 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2796 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I really mounted the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd this morning because as I sat on a bench and looked up I saw this view and wanted to take a photo. I noted these lovely leaves last week but this week I brought my camera. Shot at f/11. It was after taking this shot that I notice the rhododendrons across the courtyard that you see above.

No cropping or sharpening, simply re-sized.

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:26 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2796 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, I am not good with handwork, far from that, but after reading the instructions here:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/02/06/nikkor-ai-conversions-diy/

I was more than capable of doing the job easily.
Do not be in a hurry and use a small and not blunt from use flat file. All you need is around 4-5cm (~ <=2 inches) of filed aluminum. I noted that the claw does not need to be filled, since the camera tab is always below and never touch the claw which I put back in its place.
A final touch is the application of a black matte ink for metal which gives a final good "cosmetic" look to the lens.
I was lucky to have a non-ai 400/5.6 K ring to try before. It was so easy and the result good enough that I even replaced the original in the 400/5.6 K ( it has an advantage - easier grip of the aperture ring with its 4 rows of diamond shaped ridges vs. just 3 of the ai factory) - Now I have a "surplus" 400/5.6 ai factory ring!

I have made this job in the 16/3.5, 200/4 Q.C, 35/2OC, 400/5.6K and 24/2.8NC with great success and saved some USD 170-200.00 to buy another lens

I recommend a reading of Thomas Pindelsk link above.
Hope this is useful to you.

Edited on Apr 21, 2013 at 02:11 AM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:39 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2796 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Resuming the Trajan's Column series, this is a slightly view from 30m West - Southwest.
The original was 14000 pixels, this is "only" 6000:

_D7K_20130220_1100-pano-5-shots-wen-WSw-30m by labecoaves, on Flickr

West- South-west view at ~30m of distance from Trajan's Column, Rome. 5 vertical shots stitched.
D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.8K ai'd & CPU'd hand held, ISO 100, f/4 at 1/1250s.

I think "Nikki's daughter" is incridibly sharp at f/4 to f/8.

According to Lino Rossi's book, at the base the "personified Danube" rises up to watch the Roman troops crossing the river .

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:58 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2796 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
Got out this evening - brr, windchill right at freezing.

Been reading really fast when I get breaks, nice work everyone. Maybe I'll return tomorrow and add some well deserved comments on some great images.

Love the first image a lot...!

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2796 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Resuming the Trajan's Column series, this is a slightly view from 30m West - Southwest.
The original was 14000 pixels, this is "only" 6000:

West- South-west view at ~30m of distance from Trajan's Column, Rome. 5 vertical shots stitched.
D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.8K ai'd & CPU'd hand held, ISO 100, f/4 at 1/1250s.

I think "Nikki's daughter" is incridibly sharp at f/4 to f/8.

According to Lino Rossi's book, at the base the "personified Danube" rises up to watch the Roman troops crossing the river .

Jose, you are incredibly focused, and so is the column. Beautiful, they should move it indoors.

Of my lens samples the 85mm 1.8 H is a little shaper than the K.

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:49 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2796 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Spectacular shot Jose. I'm amazed there isn't greater distortion. Very well done!

Here is a humble effort from this evening with the recently AI'd 50 f/1.4 S.C. shot wide open. It is definitely soft wide open. The image may not look it, but if so that is because of Smart Sharpen...

Shot in Manual mode, at f/1.4, 1/60th of a second and Auto ISO at 2200, converted in Silver Efex Pro 2. This place opened a few months ago and has become the first "night spot" I've known in downtown San Anselmo. We tend to roll up the sidewalks at 10 p.m. but this place is open until midnight on Friday and Saturday nights. I'm very happy that it is doing well.

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:07 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2796 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The inside of the mansion was simply amazing, especially the ceilings. I had to lay down on the floor to get some of these shots with the 16mm 3.5
Jose the alley shot was de-fished but the following shots were not.

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:49 AM
bruni
• • •
p.2796 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

some great flower shots these last few pages - you're on fire Curtis.

I took nikki out but all the shots were crap. The streetscapes were "banal" and the candids looked like lame versions of something Phillippe would take.

I'm totally psyched out. I need more time - just going to leave it on the shelf for a while.

ben

nikki - nikon 24mm f3.5 PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Carnival Spirit - nikon 24mm f3.5 PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 24mm f3.5 PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Pitt St Mall - nikon 24mm f3.5 PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Apr 21, 2013 at 07:56 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2796 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
This lens looks so pathetically inadequate on that camera - this must be the reason for all the huge zooms. Just to restore ones masculinity!

Looks good to me though....

Peter, if you mount it on a D7000 the combo looks very sexy, believe me! And takes stunning images!

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:38 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2796 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some great work lately guys! You all are inspiring me to shoot more.

Here are some people shots from yesterdays market. The first and last ones were with the 180mm, and the middle one was with the 28mm.

Market Vendor by Leighton W, on Flickr

Little Miss Calixto by Leighton W, on Flickr

Peg and Friend by Leighton W, on Flickr

It was a beautiful day but gold. In fact, it's 33 outside right now!

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2796 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice market shots for the week Leighton, like each one of the images! Same spring chill here but at least not windy this morning

Here's edge crops of the 20 3.5UD and 24 2.8 AIS images.

20 UD edge crop:

24 2.8 AIS edge crop:

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2796 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, I have spent a good amount of time looking at Trajan's column. What you have been able to bring out with your skill and patience is the science, engineering and art back in ancient history that went into putting up this structure that has withstood time!

Ben, your shop window reflection images are always super. And looks like there's a bit of space near Nikki to add another lens to your collection

Ray (FL), superb interior images of that mansion.

Ray (OH), very nice images of the Fallen Timbers monument, both the wide angle and the composition with the zoom!

Samy

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2796 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

85 1.4 AIS, f/4

In the spotlight:

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2796 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Samy. I like the light and color in your flower image.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password