Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2792      
       2794              4377       4378       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2793 #1 · p.2793 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Curtis, though Bjorn is generally spot on about lens evaluations, in this particular case I have to disagree (perhaps I was lucky with a good copy, or it would be the multicoating of the QC?):
Even though I have the 200/4 Q.C for a short time, shooting side by side with the 200/4 ais revealed to me virtually no difference. I made no formal test (perhaps I will perform one this weekend ), but apparently sharpness is equal and the only slight, really slight difference could be that wide open the QC has a little bit more CA in harsh
...Show more

You're NOT HELPING Jose... The 200 like the 20 is not a focal length I turn to. On the wide end I'm so mesmerized by the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd that I probably won't use the 20 f/2.8 AI-s until/unless I take a trip to an urban environment where I really need to get wide. At the longer end, the 180 f/2.8 AI-s in in a league of its own. Yes, it is bigger and heavier but it is faster and bitingly sharp wide open. I'd likely go to that lens and if I wanted longer it would most often be the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF.

I'll never say never when it comes to these lenses, but...

This morning I did a bit of shooting with my recently acquired and converted 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. I've no idea what motivated Nikon to switch from the Sonnar design and move to Gauss. This old lens is rather thrilling to use. Here is a shot of a flower without an extension tube shot hand held at f/2.5 followed by a close shot of the same flower taken with the PK-13 attached. These were shot at a local nursery, which on Fridays takes a huge delivery of flowers for sale over the weekend. It is a great time to stop by and take a few photos.

Picasa screwed up the keywords. This WAS shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd at f/8. Neither shot was cropped.

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:28 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2793 #2 · p.2793 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, I really like the last image. The blossom seems to float on the pale green background.

Ray, I love the lines of the hallway-shot too. And: nice selfie with the cash register ;-)

Mark, good job on the Swiss man and his pet goat ;-)

Mihai, impressive collection of 50's! I have to admit that I'm a sucker for 50's too. Right now a late genuine Ai 55/1.2 is my favorite.

Jose, thanks for sharing your impressions about the 200/4-variants. I've never tried one of these. Buying one would make not much sense (for me, have too much lenses around this focal length), but I have my eyes open for a good and cheap 200/4 Micro or the Nikkor-P 200/4 for my Zenza Bronica :-)

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:45 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2793 #3 · p.2793 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, wow, love that first shot!

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:46 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2793 #4 · p.2793 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another blossom from yesterday, 5.8cm 1.4S + PK-13, f/11.

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:52 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2793 #5 · p.2793 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's an image from today, shot for a local paper.
Our local theatre is is in financial trouble and one stage of it is located at the building in the background (as announced today, this stage is on the current cross-off list).
The cannon belongs to a preserved part of our town wall. I really love the PC Micro 85/2.8D ;-)

D3s, PC 85/2.8D at f/4 (effective aperture f/5.3), maximum tilt

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:55 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2793 #6 · p.2793 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very nice work everyone, love the single flowers, I am more of a multitude sort. I am done with the red car, got it ready for summer, with a new hat to keep the sun off and a general spit and polish.

Elliot felt abandoned, kept picking grapefuits and asking me to throw them.

Nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 sc at 2.0 d3 elliot wants to catch grapefruits by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This is what I mean by a multitude of flowers or leaves?

Nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 sc at 1.2 d3 bugamvillea is called summer bush in spanish for a reason by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And finally the subject of my recent attentions

Nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 sc at 1.2 d3 Stingray has hat again by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2793 #7 · p.2793 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, I was about to ask if the 105 2.5 PC version had a significant advantage over the P version, and looking at your second flower shot, I think its not going to be much better!

Mark, nice bubbles, and is that a goat behind the man next the flag? The 24 is very nice, your Swiss scenery will suit it well.

Kevin, super work with those flowers! BTW, if you liked the 600 f4 there's one on KEH I saw today.

Ray, I like the Arcadia window shopping pic, and the second one would also be great for a brick wall test for lenses The gulf coast is a very pleasant area, used to go near Sarasota - to Englewood but haven't been there in years. And that was when I had the Canon S40 I think, and before I started getting interested in bird photos

Ben, your 45 2.8P images are excellent, that's the lens of the week here. I see you're from Boston, hope everything going on there is resolved soon and that city can start healing.

Chuong, very nice 45 2.8P image, and the 135 f2 flower is excellent too.

Jose, thanks for your observations on the 200 F4 Q. And great flowers too!

Jeff, love the red colors on all three flowers.

Mihai, the superb portrait of your cousin with the 105 2.5 P along with Curtis' flower is tempting me towards it.

Paul, very nice avian shots, especially the last one with the hawk being spray-bottle-fed.

Samy

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2793 #8 · p.2793 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Mihai, impressive collection of 50's!

No sir... definitely is not a collection... but a toolbox

BTW that cannon shot is one of the best pictures I ever seen on this thread. Congrats!

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2793 #9 · p.2793 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael, great to see your Corvette ready again - I remember the very first picture of the roof-fabrics and didn't understand the meaning of "C3" - I've thought it could be a new softbox for a C3-studio-flash or something ;-)

Samy, very nice play with the colors on the shot above!

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2793 #10 · p.2793 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
No sir... definitely is not a collection... but a toolbox

BTW that cannon shot is one of the best pictures I ever seen on this thread. Congrats!

Ahh, a toolbox! That's my way of thinking about photo-stuff too! But somehow I seem to hoard tools...
Thanks for your comment on the cannon, it means a lot for me.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2793 #11 · p.2793 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
You're NOT HELPING Jose... The 200 like the 20 is not a focal length I turn to. On the wide end I'm so mesmerized by the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd that I probably won't use the 20 f/2.8 AI-s until/unless I take a trip to an urban environment where I really need to get wide. At the longer end, the 180 f/2.8 AI-s in in a league of its own. Yes, it is bigger and heavier but it is faster and bitingly sharp wide open. I'd likely go to that lens and if I wanted longer it would most
...Show more
Did I miss the news on how this lens got AI'D? Last I heard you were going to swap the aperture ring from your previous version. Did you end up doing this yourself? inquiring minds want to know.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2793 #12 · p.2793 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg what an interesting shot. The tilt shift lenses are amazing and you have given us an example of how good this lens can be - well done!

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2793 #13 · p.2793 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Curtis, I was about to ask if the 105 2.5 PC version had a significant advantage over the P version, and looking at your second flower shot, I think its not going to be much better!

Samy

I bought the 105 f/2.5 P.C. AI'd because it offers a different physical design than either the P or the later K, AI and AI-s versions of the lens. It appears from photosynthesis that the first Gauss deign came in the last version of the P which has the widened metal focusing ring found in the P.C. I honestly have no complaint about any of the 105mm lenses I own. I guess part of my reaction to the P comes from the fact Bjorn rates it a bit less highly that the Gauss versions. I was surprised from the beginning how well the P performs. And it is my favorite lens to look at as well as a delight to use.

MDoc9523 wrote:
Did I miss the news on how this lens got AI'D? Last I heard you were going to swap the aperture ring from your previous version. Did you end up doing this yourself? inquiring minds want to know.

You missed my post Ray telling the story of having both sets of lenses I'd set up for conversion done by my local camera technician. I dropped the four lenses off at noon and picked them up at five. The fact I'd procrastinated on the 50 S and 50 S.C. was a clear indication of my reluctance to tackle the job. In the end I decided I'd rather tackle installing a new battery in a 3Gs iPhone I was given than in wrestling with removing the back of four lenses. The technician said one of the screws was very difficult to remove. I'm glad he took it out rather than me. He's done conversions over the years and knew how much pressure he could apply without snapping a screw off. He did a fine job.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2793 #14 · p.2793 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Georg. Always a delight to ramble through a nursery filled with flowers.

Love your photo with the underlying story of an arts organization "under the gun..." to use one phrase for describing their situation. I've no idea what it is like to be a photographer given assignments and then needing to consider how best to tell a story through images. Obviously, you're very skilled at producing well crafted images, but you also have a knack for finding a captivating point of view. You say you may at times try to hard to be creative, but that is much better than getting lazy about such things. I'm not certain what I'd be shooting if I expected of myself that I would always be looking for something fresh to shoot. Often, what could become boring is refreshed by a new lens with which to play. That was surely what the arrival of Nikki meant. The same happens with each lens added to my kit. It also helps to visit new environs since as wonderful as home is, finding a fresh perspective is always a challenge. Sunday I'll join a friend at a baseball game her nine year old son will be playing in. I'll try my hand and a bit of sports photography... something you know a bit about as well. I'll resist the temptation to bring an AF lens to see how well I can handle zone focusing... I learn by doing.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2793 #15 · p.2793 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

As you could tell the 45/2.8P was a hit while on vacation. It's optical shortcomings, though not that significant, are more than made up by it's portability. Nothing like being able to throw your D800 over your torso and not have the lens constantly banging into your arm.

A few more . . .

Cool Blue Glass

NIKON D800    45mm    f/5.6    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Low Tide In Down Town Coupeville

NIKON D800    45mm    f/5.6    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 20, 2013 at 04:24 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2793 #16 · p.2793 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Car show friday, cruising grand. 55 1.2 sc and 85 2 ais

nikon nikkor 85mm 2 ais at 2.0 D800 Minnequa water bag by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 85mm 2 ais at 2.0 D800 no rust by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 85mm 2 ais at 2.0 D800 like rust by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 at 1.2 D4 red trike by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Apr 20, 2013 at 04:33 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2793 #17 · p.2793 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I bought the 105 f/2.5 P.C. AI'd because it offers a different physical design than either the P or the later K, AI and AI-s versions of the lens. It appears from photosynthesis that the first Gauss deign came in the last version of the P which has the widened metal focusing ring found in the P.C. I honestly have no complaint about any of the 105mm lenses I own. I guess part of my reaction to the P comes from the fact Bjorn rates it a bit less highly that the Gauss versions. I was surprised from the beginning
...Show more

Curtis, good call, I ruined two good lenses trying to remove stubborn back screws.

Apr 20, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Paul Gabel
• •
p.2793 #18 · p.2793 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A beautiful blue still life, John, very cool indeed.

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:54 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2793 #19 · p.2793 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Car show friday, cruising grand. 55 1.2 sc and 85 2 ais

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8266/8663825007_245dbbc07a_b.jpg
nikon nikkor 85mm 2 ais at 2.0 D800 Minnequa water bag by Rafael CA, on Flickr

All are nice but this is very cool Rafael!

Apr 20, 2013 at 09:15 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2793 #20 · p.2793 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mihai, Georg, Jose, Ray and Samy, thanks for the comments!

Thanks Curtis! You were spot on when you recommended the 180mm 2.8 with the PK-13 tube. It's really a fun combination. Beautiful flowers with the 105mm.

Thanks Mark for your comment and for showing that temporary pirates can take good pictures. Your bubbles arrrrrr great!

Scott, belated congrats on your WA win. Well done!

Kevin, beautiful flower shots. I love the first one taken with the 135mm.

Ray, I really like the brick alley shot.

Samy, gorgeous blossom!

Georg, love the cannon image taken with the PC lens.

John, the blue glass still life is beautiful and "Low Tide" is a very cool shot.

Rafael, wonderful car and bike shots. Great vette!

Apr 20, 2013 at 05:08 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password