1       2       3              2791      
       2793              5892       5893       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Helen Oster
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2792 #1 · p.2792 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
........ I got my 16/3.5 used from Adorama. The complete transaction was super smooth and very fast. I would buy lenses from reputable US-sellers again.

Good to hear - thanks for the feedback!

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
[email protected]

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:21 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2792 #2 · p.2792 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rolubich wrote:
Thank you Curtis, I had bought here the AI conversion kit as soon as I saw the lens on the web (in an italian shop 1 hour drive from my house).
It looks like the original ring is different than usual pre-AI ring: the ring is shorter and than it dosn't interfere with the aperture, so you can mount the lens without aperture control.
The lens I bought has been modified, it has not been cut but a piece of metal has been added in order to couple with the aperture lever (it is visible in the picture). The lens is fully
...Show more

I'm totally confused on the subject of AI conversion kits for the first generation of lenses from Nikon. Looking at the list of AI conversion kits at photosynthesis.co.nz, the first 50mm kit that has a kit listed for an f/1.4 50mm lens is the one produced from 1968 to 1972. I read this at the photosynthesis...

Nikon Ai Conversions
The majority of Auto-Nikkors with meter-coupling shoe manufactured from 1967 can be modified for Ai compatability. However, due to differences in constuction, some Auto-Nikkors (mainly those made prior to 1967) cannot be modified. This includes all models with no screws in the mount, and some others. The table below shows the relation between serial nos.of the lens to be modified and parts to be selected.

I have a 50 f/1.4 S.C. AI'd that has the AI conversion kit that I swapped out from an earlier S lens, but also one manufactured after 1967. Here is a photo of the S.C. before the aperture ring was swapped. These lenses were made between 1973 and June 1974.

And here is the S with the AI conversion kit No. 6. This lens was made between March 1972 and 1973.

There are no AI conversion kits listed for the lens you bought, so I'm confused what both you and Rafael are talking about. I believe you guys are navigating territory that is much too forbidding for me.... there be dragons there...

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:50 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.2792 #3 · p.2792 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Finally found a 55mm f1.2 Nikkor-SC. It should be here today. I am pretty excited. Next step is to look for the AI ring

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:14 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2792 #4 · p.2792 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Thanks guys - every once in a while it comes together for me. I suck at people shots.

That was the only good one out of about 5 shots I took of her twirling - she was only in the middle for about 5 seconds and I somehow managed to line up the 16/3.5 pretty well with the skylights and just happen to catch her during the twirl.

All good photos of people in motion are a result of preparedness and luck, and you had both here. Fantastic image John!

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:26 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2792 #5 · p.2792 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I'm totally confused on the subject of AI conversion kits for the first generation of lenses from Nikon. Looking at the list of AI conversion kits at photosynthesis.co.nz, the first 50mm kit that has a kit listed for an f/1.4 50mm lens is the one produced from 1968 to 1972. I read this at the photosynthesis...

I have a 50 f/1.4 S.C. AI'd that has the AI conversion kit that I swapped out from an earlier S lens, but also one manufactured after 1967. Here is a photo of the S.C. before the aperture ring was swapped. These lenses were made
...Show more

It's confusing for me as well, Curtis. I just discovered that an old Ai'd Nikkor-S 50/1.4 (like yours with the yellow coatings) is infested with fungus.
I got this lens for 10 Euros or so with many tiny scratches and will search for a clean Nikkor-S to exchange the Ai-rings...

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:13 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2792 #6 · p.2792 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Came across an old, partly overgrown bench and wondered who might sit here. On the way back I saw the answer for this question ;-)
I rarely do diptych's and feel not really comfortable to set a proper frame. Hope you guys and gals (I hope that's not bad language) like this try.

Arthur's Bench von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Arthur's bench - D3s, PCE 45/2.8D wide open

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2792 #7 · p.2792 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks guys

Great shot Dean, Leighton ,Mark, Samy, John,Georg and Peter in Wi

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2792 #8 · p.2792 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

street seller in the Louvre, 50/18 :

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:48 PM
rolubich
• •
p.2792 #9 · p.2792 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
There are no AI conversion kits listed for the lens you bought, so I'm confused what both you and Rafael are talking about. I believe you guys are navigating territory that is much too forbidding for me.... there be dragons there...

My 85-250mm lens is the f/4 version and the proper kits are 80, 81 and 82; for the previous version f/4-4.5 there aren't conversion kits.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:26 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2792 #10 · p.2792 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks guys

Great shot Dean, Leighton ,Mark, Samy, John,Georg and Peter in Wi

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5453/9009487684_9a58a99720_b.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3802/9009314332_a9d482c354_b.jpg

First one looks like an art piece, beautifully done. Second one makes me think of airplanes on an aircraft carrier waiting to take off. These are great Ronny, very well done.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2792 #11 · p.2792 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

In my responsibility as chief instigator of Nikon Manual Focus Acquisition Syndrome, I feel obliged to post this so that Leighton and Chin can find the inspiration to spend more money...

The 135 f/2.8 K AI'd arrived last Friday from Japan and I picked it up this morning shortly after the post office opened. First, I'd observe that the seller did the best job of packaging I've ever seen. Although I didn't receive the package until today, it arrived only five days after shipment. Nothing was glued to the box, but rather all the papers were enclosed in plastic and then bound to the box by the filament much like Saran Wrap. The box was closed with perfectly applied tape the same color as the box. I'll be able to reuse the box without having to tear off glued labels. Pretty sweet. But let's get serious here...

Here are the four 135mm lenses now in my kit... whether that number will be reduced remains an open question since all four of these lenses is beautiful... This was shot with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd... (congratulations Chuong and good luck finding that conversion kit.)

135 f/2 AI-s, 135 f/2.8 AI, 135 f/2.8 K AI'd, 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd

The first thing I did when I got home was head outside to take a few photos with the lenses, hopefully satisfying Leighton's wishes. Everyone knows that I do a pretty mediocre job with such comparisons because I do them hand held. So everything is approximate. (We'll have to rely on Jose and John for serious lens comparisons...) I stood at the same location... not even moving my feet... I cropped, downsized and added labels. I did nothing else to the images. All were shot wide open. I added weight, length and diameter at the bottom of the page to help with the comparison.

As one would expect, the 135 f/2 AI-s obliterates the background, but the other three lenses acquit themselves quite well. More will be revealed...

Edited on Jun 10, 2013 at 07:34 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:29 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2792 #12 · p.2792 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

At first I thought Ronny used a super powerful flash (EXIF tells me no flash) - so he must live in a place where the sun is more powerful than around here. Those shadows on the leaf are incredibly strongly defined, amazing.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2792 #13 · p.2792 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rolubich wrote:
My 85-250mm lens is the f/4 version and the proper kits are 80, 81 and 82; for the previous version f/4-4.5 there aren't conversion kits.

Ah ha.... so you weren't talking about the 50 f/1.4. It is a fortunate person who actually finds an AI conversion kit for a lens. The lenses that seem most likely candidates are invariably unusual lenses such as the beautiful zoom you bought. Unfortunately, for many of the favorite pre-AI lenses talked about on this thread no kits remain... Sadly, I might add.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2792 #14 · p.2792 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A footnote... I washed the window... These lenses deserve at least that much from me...

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:36 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2792 #15 · p.2792 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
All good photos of people in motion are a result of preparedness and luck, and you had both here. Fantastic image John!

Thanks! I was actually trying to get her face toward me during the twirl, but I kept tripping the shutter too late. I'm glad I didn't get her face as I think it's better that she's facing away from me.

Her mom (my sister) thought the shot was awesome, which is more than enough reward for me.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:43 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2792 #16 · p.2792 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis - Thanks so much for this. It confirms my worst fear! If I'm to buy a 135mm one day it'll have to be the f2, although the Q.C. to my eye, looks like it took second place. It's amazing how close they all are.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:53 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2792 #17 · p.2792 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Curtis - Thanks so much for this. It confirms my worst fear! If I'm to buy a 135mm one day it'll have to be the f2, although the Q.C. to my eye, looks like it took second place. It's amazing how close they all are.

Remember, if you want small and light the 135/3.5 AIS is outstanding as well (though not a bokeh king).

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:55 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2792 #18 · p.2792 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Remember, if you want small and light the 135/3.5 AIS is outstanding as well (though not a bokeh king).

And judging by the pics I've seen coming from you very worthy. But I'm afraid the older I get (and with enough glass to satisfy for now) the more bokeh I want.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:57 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2792 #19 · p.2792 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

All that means Leighton, is you'll have to keep saving a bit longer, which isn't a bad thing. I've no intention of letting the f/2 go, but I certainly like the savings in weight offered by the Q.C. and K lenses. They have sufficient bulk that they're easy to use. They balance beautifully on the D700 but without the added weight of the f/2. I've certainly enjoyed shooting with the Q.C. and will now give the K a little tender loving care. Photos will arrive shortly... because I just took them...

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:00 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2792 #20 · p.2792 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just finished the school year up. It's nice to have a few minutes to breathe! I'll probably be shooting my Nikons a lot more now as the mirror in my P67 flew off of its assembly while shooting a few days ago.

I suppose I should play the role of the devil. Here are some lovely lenses at nice prices:

28/2.8 AI-S
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1217827

35/2 AI-S (really good price for a clean copy)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1217078/0?keyword=35,AI-S#11592352

I also need to get some shots to post up to. It's good to see all of the new faces around, and so many great shots in the last several pages!

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:01 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password