1       2       3              2786      
       2788              5888       5889       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2787 #1 · p.2787 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great work everyone!

I was making my rounds at the market yesterday and noticed this old guy in a wheelchair talking with one of the vendors, so I went over and started talking with the him and the vendor. After a while, I asked if I could take his portrait and he said shoot away. When I knelt down to take the shot he asked how I liked the Nikon. Well, that's all it took for me to start a conversation about gear!

This guy had wonderful tales to tell about living in Japan after he was wounded in Vietnam and taking thousands of slides using his Minolta while driving around the island in his VW van.

Vet 180/2.8 ED AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:15 AM
pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2787 #2 · p.2787 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Gosh, a Deudeuche in the US !

Is that car still in working order? The rear tyre seems to be flat.

that shouldn't affect the handling very much

Jun 09, 2013 at 01:55 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2787 #3 · p.2787 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Last 3 days I was at a savannah reserve in the countryside with a student, performing a pilot for a possible ornithological project.
Unfortunately I did not take many shots with MF glass; I used mostly my 300/2.8 af-s VR (on) + TC20EIII + D7000 hand held with a Bushawk stocky mount, "stalking" for bird foraging behaviours. For work on fast moving small birds the AF is useful; shame on me

Anyway, some landscapes were captured by my trusty 28/2 ai, and once more I tested it with vs. without a circular polarizer:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8415/8990265284_acc781320f_o.jpg
Circular polarizer filter effect in a savannah by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 28mm f/2 AI, ISO 200, f/8, hand held.
Top: without polarizer, 1/500s;
Bottom: with Marumi CPL DHG.

This lens is so sharp that I need no sharpening at all, just the default's 25 amount at ACR. The polarizer appears to bring a greener/yellowish (dry season over here) vegetation and a deeper blue sky than without polarizer.
...Show more

Jose,
I like polarizers, so obviously the second shot is my favorite - ever since I first discovered them in the early 80s, I've been using them when the light was right, probably too much, but dark blue skies are the thing people who climb mountains want to see (the higher you go, the darker they get, so let's tweak the photo a little and polarize that sky down to near black.. makes it look like you're on Everest when you're just 4000 meters up )

The only problem with polarizers is that once you get sucked into bringing out those popping colors, you will want to shoot at the sun angle they work best at, but that's not always a great photo.

Recently I did a quick test of all my polarizers and no-polarizer in the back yard - one thing that came out of it is that at least with MF glass, a linear polarizer works just as well as a circular - so if anyone is shopping for one on this thread, get a linear one, as they can be found for next to nothing on ebay. Marumi are my favorite, but only because I saw a test that showed them as superior to other very expensive brands, not because I can tell a difference in the photos.

Can't find those test shots right now - have to go look for them.

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:27 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2787 #4 · p.2787 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Terrific photos Peter. It seems the 300 AIS is a common choice among manual lens shooters headed to an air show I thought 400 5.6 first, but that gets too close for too many shots if one hangs around right at the fence. After Fifi landed and parked, I headed over to see if I could get a close up but the roped area around it was very large.

Samy, I shot the 300mm because, well, it was the longest I had then (on DX). I think this year, I will be using the 600 for airborne planes, and the 300 with TC-16a when things get too tight. Even shooting DX at 450mm effective, I had to crop quite a bit - the first FiFi shot would have easily been possible with a 600 on DX, that's how far away that plane was kept, on the other side of the airport. But there were moments when the 300mm was too tight, especially when they went over the top of us. Got none of those in focus, in spite of shooting at shutter speeds that would make the guys on the Mustang air to air thread cringe I cheated on that last approach shot and made the props turn in post (in fact, most of that photo is post - the original is a bland Sunday afternoon semi-hazy sky blue on gray shot)

I'm already thinking about perhaps getting a 300/f2.8 so I can use the TC-16a on it - have to see how well it works on other lenses first, but the 300mm f/4.5 is a bit slow for it, plus it has some rather strong chroma issues already without TC - my guess is things will get worse once I add the converter. Air shows with all the approach and departure shots at high speed are definitely AF subjects, but where's the challenge when you can rattle off hundreds of in-focus frames in a row?

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:42 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2787 #5 · p.2787 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2865/8991668134_b0bdb7d39e_b.jpg
45PC-E wide open, D3s, cropped a bit, hate the outline of the trees in the background (I just don't wanna run a blur-filter over it)

nothing content-aware fill can't remove I've taken out entire electrical grids that way, so a grumpy tree line could be easily replaced by a happy sky. I'm sure you don't really want to go that far. Throw the Lens Flare filter from Photoshop over everything maybe?

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2787 #6 · p.2787 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot Georg Leighton and Jose

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:06 PM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2787 #7 · p.2787 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
Jose,
I like polarizers, so obviously the second shot is my favorite - ever since I first discovered them in the early 80s, I've been using them when the light was right, probably too much, but dark blue skies are the thing people who climb mountains want to see (the higher you go, the darker they get, so let's tweak the photo a little and polarize that sky down to near black.. makes it look like you're on Everest when you're just 4000 meters up )

The only problem with polarizers is that once you get sucked into bringing out
...Show more

The linear polarizer works the same with lenses, but may affect the camera meter and/or focus sensors.

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:18 PM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2787 #8 · p.2787 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
that shouldn't affect the handling very much

Don't know if it was in running condition, but the oveall condition was very good, and its mechanics are easy to fix. Only damage was the bump on left rear fender.

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:27 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2787 #9 · p.2787 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
v
The linear polarizer works the same with lenses, but may affect the camera meter and/or focus sensors.

I'm sure it has to do with the AF, since even in full color matrix mode my camera exposed about the same. I don't always get proper exposures with polarizers, but that seems to be the case even with the circular type. I used the circular one on my 20mm in the mountains this year and it was off by over a stop once in a while. Nothing you can't fix in post coming from D600 files, but in my experience, you have to expect dark images with either type. Always a good idea to check that histogram

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2787 #10 · p.2787 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Jun 09, 2013 at 04:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2787 #11 · p.2787 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny, the sharpness you're getting from your tube shots is amazing.

Jun 09, 2013 at 04:24 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2787 #12 · p.2787 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

More people shots from the market.

Little boys and water puddles, go figure.

180/2.8 ED AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

The drummer in the band.

I think he ended up with all the cookie icing on his face.

Jun 09, 2013 at 04:30 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2787 #13 · p.2787 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, the vet shot and the first one in the last set are beautiful portraits telling a story!

My daughter with her horse, 50/1.8 :

Jun 09, 2013 at 04:47 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2787 #14 · p.2787 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Philippe. I love the first and last shots in your set. Your daughter seems to be growing up so fast. Is the horse on your farm, or do you board it somewhere?

Jun 09, 2013 at 04:54 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2787 #15 · p.2787 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lehighton love the market shots!
Phillipe your daughter is a cutie and the 50 shots are marvelous.

Cooper keeps me busy but I still have my 180 mounted

Jun 09, 2013 at 04:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2787 #16 · p.2787 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, your portraits from the market are very nice. I love the shot of the veteran and the drummer, though all four are first rate. Excellent black and white conversions as well. You don't need no stinking AF lens...

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:13 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2787 #17 · p.2787 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wonderful set of images Philippe. I'll be hiking out of stables not too far from where I live. It might be a great time to take some photos of the horses who call the stable home. My god daughter has a great love of horses and spent all her free time during her teens years with her horse and working about the stable. It is a perfect pastime for a youth. The second shot is priceless... a family portrait...

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:16 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2787 #18 · p.2787 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

thanks Curtis,Leighton and Ron.
Leighton, the horse is in a meadow around 300 meters from my home
Curtis, you are right about the family portrait : I'm afraid that the horse is somewhat like my son-in-law

Edited on Jun 09, 2013 at 05:22 PM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:17 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2787 #19 · p.2787 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sheesh Ronny, you're supposed to raise the bar, not make it unreachable. Those shots are all great! The solitary blue one is awesome.

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:22 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.2787 #20 · p.2787 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Shanghai seafood market, with 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens.

Edited on Jun 09, 2013 at 05:27 PM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password