Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2768      
       2770              3818       3819       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2769 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose the creator shots are awsome but the pano takes the prize!
Mark beautiful vista on that first shot.
Ray what great timing on your deer photo. Great capture, sharp and wonderfully framed!

Chuong that's a terrific shot of your daughter.
Curtis the post work on the barb wire is just plain GOOD!

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:37 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2769 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I step away for a day and a half and suddenly we're talking about Voigtlander glass?

The natives must be restless... When you run out of Nikkors to buy, I guess you have to expand your horizons. Or in John's case, it is looking for the perfect kit that will fit in his backpack when he's scaling the peaks of Washington state. Clearly, Mihai has the problems with owning too many Nikkors... you can always send me the NOCT my friend... Lighten your load...

I know I know - us kids tend to get into trouble while adult supervision is not around - no more talk about such heretical things . . . .

Still hunting a 500/4 P - KEH has one right now for a decent price, but taxes are due next week

John

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:53 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2769 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
We don't have much graffiti in our little town, so when I saw this I had to take a photo.
D600 35mm 1.4 F/8 1/160

Ray, thanks for your kind words on the V1-shots. With a fast lens wide open and at close range the little camera can indeed deliver some shallow-DoF-images. Have yet to try the 35/1.4 on it...
You can be really happy that Graffiti is rare in your town - it's a major pain over here. Some cities seem to have kinda "artistic" sprayers in their community, this is unfortunately not true for my hometown.

Here's one of my very first stitching-tests with the PC 85/2.8 D - 3 vertical shots, shifted to the left, in neutral position and shifted to the right side, taken last year.

"da spellin' is right" - D3s + PC 85/2.8 D - 3 vertical shots stitched

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:04 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2769 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I came up with a spreadsheet (Excel) that can help you figure out Minimum Focus Distance (not exact, but will give you a ball park) while using tubes as well as magnification ratio's for stacked lenses. If anyone is interested in it, PM me your email and I can send it to you.

I am trying to get this worked out so I can make a web page out of it. The math is right, but with lens variation in MFD, its not exact.

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2769 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
What I really like about this lens is it's close focusing capability - 0.5 meters, as opposed to the 105/2.5's 1 m. For close-up portraits this makes a huge difference. Also, it's very compact, which is huge for me when dragging my lenses around. It is a stop slower though than the f/2.5 . . .

Plus, if you buy it and don't like it you'll be able to resell it at very little loss . . .

John

I see... I'm not so much for the close focus capability but the very compact form is a big plus for me. Excluding the events I shoot indoor when I take my f/1.4 - f/1.2 arsenal of primes for anything else, special on travel I tend to focus on compact lenses and D600.

CGrindahl wrote:
Clearly, Mihai has the problems with owning too many Nikkors... you can always send me the NOCT my friend... Lighten your load...

I have no any gear list or inventory but in the optimistic estimation the total number of MF and AF Nikkors + Zeiss + Sigma + Tamron + CV (no any Tokina yet) from my shelves may be be equal with the number of your MF Nikkors Curtis! So there is space to grow About NOCT: Nice try my friend!

Having said that I wanna congratulate you for the great job done with Nikki! I was no interfering in the conversation for a time but I am a very careful reader as always. I am stunned by the pictures that you, Ray, Leighton, John, Scott, George, Mark, Reagan, Chin, Peter, Jose, Dean, Rafael, Chuong, Ben, Kenny, Phillipe (and many others I can not list right now) are posting on this unique thread. I wish I can contribute more but for now I have to be patient and focus on some important issues like a soon coming hip replacement, my son graduation, etc... Life was hard to me last six months but I hope is just a temporary conjuncture and I look forward for more sunny days

Keep the good work going please and tell Monty he is missed and so is Rinnie!

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:44 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2769 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mihai, best of luck for your surgery and lotsa sunny days when you're done with it! I've missed your posts.

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2769 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Curtis, love this shot! SEP's #20 Fine Art Framed preset is nice, but usually renders most subjects too bright.
Your conversion looks just like it should in my opinion

Great minds I guess Georg...

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:25 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2769 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Mihai, best of luck for your surgery and lotsa sunny days when you're done with it! I've missed your posts.

+1 I'm aware that my hips are a bit more tender than when I was younger, but I hope to avoid a replacement. I have a friend who has had wonderful success and great relief from his surgery. Hopefully you will do as well. You are missed on the thread, but I'm certain you are with us in spirit if not on the thread. We shall be with you as well during your journey.

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:29 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2769 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
+1 I'm aware that my hips are a bit more tender than when I was younger, but I hope to avoid a replacement. I have a friend who has had wonderful success and great relief from his surgery. Hopefully you will do as well. You are missed on the thread, but I'm certain you are with us in spirit if not on the thread. We shall be with you as well during your journey.

I guess that would make me +2! Take care! Get some extension rings and do some Macro while your laid up.

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2769 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
I know I know - us kids tend to get into trouble while adult supervision is not around - no more talk about such heretical things . . . .

Still hunting a 500/4 P - KEH has one right now for a decent price, but taxes are due next week

John

If you buy the 500 f/4 P, all will be forgiven...

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mishu01
• • • •
p.2769 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:

Thanks Georg! I appreciate!

CGrindahl wrote:

Curtis, I'm younger than you so my hips must be better but unlike you I spent almost 28yrs under communism. The medical system was a nightmare (it isn't very performing yet... but is somehow improved). While I was a student I was the subject of a bad medical error: doctors confused a banal rheumatic illness with hip tuberculosis. The mistake was discovered 10 months later after they almost destroyed me with a treatment that was against my real problem. It took one more year to start over but I was only partially recovered. Getting older things get worse and I came to that point were I need both hips to be replaced - one of them as soon as possible. I never got any material compensation for what they did to me and actually I fully pay my surgeries in a private hospital (because my medical problem is older than my private medical insurance, so it's not covered...) But I've learned to live with this situation, enjoying the good part of this life i.e. photography, family, friends, etc. And yes, I'm optimist regarding the surgery... despite the fact that I developed a real phobia regarding doctors, hospitals, etc

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2769 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
Curtis, I'm younger than you so my hips must be better but unlike you I spent almost 28yrs under communism. The medical system was a nightmare (it isn't very performing yet... but is somehow improved). While I was a student I was the subject of a bad medical error: doctors confused a banal rheumatic illness with hip tuberculosis. The mistake was discovered 10 months later after they almost destroyed me with a treatment that was against my real problem. It took one more year to start over but I was only partially recovered. Getting older things get worse and
...Show more

Wow! Take care and keep us posted on your progress. Sending "Get well soon" prayers your way.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2769 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I got a line on a PK13 tube, for next to nothing... Going to look at it after work and hopefully pick it up. Excited!!!

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2769 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Seeing all these awesome shots the last few days got my mind all worked up trying to figure out how to get a D600. You folks are a bad influence, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

On another note, I was shooting an event this past weekend and my D7000 could not meter worth beans. Center and spot metering was hit and miss at best. Not sure what they did with the lights, but my camera was nothing but confused. So in about two hours, I worked through in my head how to really go all manual (shutter/aperture/ISO) to compensate
...Show more

Kevin, manual exposure is the way to go for most stage-events (in my opinion). I've shot a ton of concert-, theatre- and other stage-events and can't imagine to work in A- or S-mode. Black curtains behind a singer for instance will confuse most cameras. Strong backlighting will do the same. Usually I try to find a "standard-exposure" (quick check for blinking highlights) and adjust manually by instinct, not by the meter, if the singer/actor walks into a less well lit corner of the stage (just an example).
Back in the film-days I've shot basically everything on stage at f/2.8 and a 1/250sec and just changed the developing time to adjust for more or less light ;-)

Edit: congrats to your PK-13! Can't wait to see your work with it.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2769 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
If you buy the 500 f/4 P, all will be forgiven...

My penance for having sinned!

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2769 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Kevin! You're very kind! I did some preliminary tests etc and in two weeks I have an appointment with the orthopedist to estabilsh which is the day of the first surgery. If I have to guess it will happen before middle of May but when I'll know for sure I'll leave a brief notice here. I'm encouraged to see people that I never met in person caring for such as situation. Thank you!

kwoodard wrote:
Wow! Take care and keep us posted on your progress. Sending "Get well soon" prayers your way.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2769 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chuong, the portraits of your daughter are wonderful!

Peter, I like your "Brown-deer"-image a lot. How is the 200/4 Micro compared to the "plain" 200/4? The long Micro is a lens that seems to get not much attention here.

Mark, the bell in the cliffs looks very unusual - I like this shot a lot.

Jose, the second image of the Vesuvius-crater is fantastic. The fine textures call for a really high resolving image and the D7000+20/2.8-combo delivered.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2769 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Kevin, manual exposure is the way to go for most stage-events (in my opinion). I've shot a ton of concert-, theatre- and other stage-events and can't imagine to work in A- or S-mode. Black curtains behind a singer for instance will confuse most cameras. Strong backlighting will do the same. Usually I try to find a "standard-exposure" (quick check for blinking highlights) and adjust manually by instinct, not by the meter, if the singer/actor walks into a less well lit corner of the stage (just an example).
Back in the film-days I've shot basically everything on stage at f/2.8 and a
...Show more

+1

Actually all camera meters are driven into wilderness at concerts Actually like Georg I also use manual mode 1/250 f2 or f2.8 and AutoISO. I take a first shot and then I bring exposure corrections making sure to have the face of the main performer exposed right. Do not care about anything else, just check his face until you get what you need. If I go for what camera says I need to introduce at least -2 fstop correction in order to see the face properly exposed. Later on in the PP you can work a bit on the shadows if necessary. In very dark venues sometimes I'm forced to go up to 1/60 f1.4 but then is a PITA to take images without recording the movement of the people. Do not be afraid to have the superior limit of AutoISO set at 6400. Grainy images look nice, especially in comparison with blurry junk

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2769 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

Mahai, all the best with your surgery. We will all be thinking of you. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2769 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Nice shot Ray and great expression on the deer. I hope your ring tone wasn't the theme to Bambi.

No, not the theme to Bambi. Just an old fashion phone "riiinnggg".

MDoc9523 wrote:
Ray what great timing on your deer photo. Great capture, sharp and wonderfully framed!

Thanks Ray. It's actually cropped in LR quite a bit, I was at my longest lens I had with me, the 200 AI Micro. The performance holds up really well though even at the almost 50% crop.

Oosty wrote:
Ray - I went to your uploads and looked at it - I missed it first time round. That was very well spotted - unless you'd been walking round in circles for a couple of hours!

The trail sign picture was about 3 minutes after I got back to the car and started driving, the sunset in the opposite direction from the fishermen caught my eye and I stopped to look for something in the foreground.

One more from last Friday, just as I was getting back to the car. 200 AI Micro again.

Smiley faces

NIKON D700    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    180mm    f/8.0    1/500s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password