Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2767      
       2769              4053       4054       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2768 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some pictures from a short walk with a 24/2Ai mounted onto the V1 via FT-1:

Very nice Georg

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:13 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2768 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Last two alternative views of the Vesuvius crater, now with the 20/2.8 ais CPU'd.

More top shots Jose - you're going to have to get a new apartment to cope with all the prints!

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:23 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2768 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Some actual photos from Lago Garda in the North of Italy.

This is a set from the 35-70mm f/3.5 lens. A very versatile lens with handy Macro function at 70mm which halves the MFD from 70mm to 35mm. I have the Ai-s version with the 62mm filter thread.

The lens is quite a heavy beast and sits well on the D4 but is too heavy to sit comfortably on the D200. I took it because it would make a great walking around lens of excellent quality, being touted as one of the first professional lenses in the midrange zoom and made
...Show more

A very nice series Mark. I have fond memories of both Lake Garda and Lake Como which Ingrid and I visited about 11 years ago - time flies!

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:27 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2768 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
Appreciate the comments on the trail sign pic Georg and Jeff. That was something fun after a frustrating hour of trying to capture local fisherman on the river with not enough lens for shooting from the shoreline.

Ray - I went to your uploads and looked at it - I missed it first time round. That was very well spotted - unless you'd been walking round in circles for a couple of hours!

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:31 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2768 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Question for you fine folks... I have two Nikkor-S lenses, 50mm f/1.4 and 35 f/2.8, and am considering having them converted. I have looked for AI kits, no dice. Any experience with either of these lenses? Are they worth more as a collectible and shouldn't be cut? If they are good and "OK" to cut, I will probably sell off my Series E 50mm to fund the conversions.

Thoughts and opinions please.

I read the link to Thomas Pindelski (can't remember who put it up) but he sums up my thoughts regarding collector value very well in the last paragraph in this page from his blog http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/02/06/nikkor-ai-conversions-diy/

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:38 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2768 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Great pano shots, everyone. Warmer weather in Ohio today and I managed to take some shots.

85mm f1.4

#2 is lovely

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:40 AM
deang001
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2768 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some pictures from a short walk with a 24/2Ai mounted onto the V1 via FT-1:

the 24/2Ai is a warrant for some lively bokeh - 24/2Ai at about MFD, wide-open, Nikon V1

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8256/8635451400_da0fd3002c_b.jpg
I'm not 100% happy with the B&W-conversion here, maybe I'll re-do this one

birchbark - I could stare for hours at it

That's an awesome shot, Georg ... I'd be 100% happy with it

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2768 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Curtis, I like especially this shot - the framing with the diagonal rolling wave is great. And I really like your B&W-conversion.

+1 on that.

Curtis ... what presets are you starting out with on Silver Efex Pro ... or is it a trade secret I love this look you are getting with you conversions over the last couple of weeks.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2768 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Slightly heretical I know, but related to MF Nikon anyways:

KEH has a pretty good price on a LN- Cosina-Voigtlander 90/3.5 SL-II. A couple months ago I may have bought the last new one available on the planet via Robert White in the UK for well over $600.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Non-Mfg-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK08999115872Z?r=FE

The SL-II version is chipped and works perfectly with all Nikon bodies. Slow at f/3.5, but an awesome & compact lens nonetheless that I don't hesitate to shoot wide open on my D800 - I hate to say it, but it has replaced my 105/2.5 for much of my shooting, except when I need
...Show more

You're driving me crazy John!

Our large photo-dealer from Bucharest still have at least a new copy of this lens... but is listed at a 'prohibitive' cost of about $715. I also have the possibility to buy it used in LN condition for about $510 but I'm hesitating... already owning several 85s and 105s... But this lens is very tempting and has a very solid reputation, including here Lloyd Chambers. If I'm right Ben also own (and praise) this lens. I'm a big fan of compact gear so I may consider very seriously to spend these $500... even my rational part of the brain says NO!

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2768 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Question for you fine folks... I have two Nikkor-S lenses, 50mm f/1.4 and 35 f/2.8, and am considering having them converted. I have looked for AI kits, no dice. Any experience with either of these lenses? Are they worth more as a collectible and shouldn't be cut? If they are good and "OK" to cut, I will probably sell off my Series E 50mm to fund the conversions.

Thoughts and opinions please.

Kevin
For these two the value would be on the serial number. Check this site to see if you have an early or unique serial number:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MarkdV
• • •
p.2768 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott - Well done on the Weekly assignment win. I hope you used a MF lens on it.

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:01 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2768 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
You're driving me crazy John!

Our large photo-dealer from Bucharest still have at least a new copy of this lens... but is listed at a 'prohibitive' cost of about $715. I also have the possibility to buy it used in LN condition for about $510 but I'm hesitating... already owning several 85s and 105s... But this lens is very tempting and has a very solid reputation, including here Lloyd Chambers. If I'm right Ben also own (and praise) this lens. I'm a big fan of compact gear so I may consider very seriously to spend these $500... even my rational
...Show more

What I really like about this lens is it's close focusing capability - 0.5 meters, as opposed to the 105/2.5's 1 m. For close-up portraits this makes a huge difference. Also, it's very compact, which is huge for me when dragging my lenses around. It is a stop slower though than the f/2.5 . . .

Plus, if you buy it and don't like it you'll be able to resell it at very little loss . . .

John

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:39 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2768 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Great pano shots, everyone. Warmer weather in Ohio today and I managed to take some shots.

85mm f1.4

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22102440/FRED/D2X_0099.jpg

Very nice color and background Chuong.

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:41 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2768 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Scott - Well done on the Weekly assignment win. I hope you used a MF lens on it.

Thank you Mark. Yes I did use a MF lens, the 105 f4 micro. I used the new to me 16 f3.5 fisheye for this weeks submission topic Urban Decay. I do prefer using the MF lenses whenever possible. The exception for me is if there is fast action where AF would be necessary.

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:46 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2768 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Thank you Mark. Yes I did use a MF lens, the 105 f4 micro. I used the new to me 16 f3.5 fisheye for this weeks submission topic Urban Decay. I do prefer using the MF lenses whenever possible. The exception for me is if there is fast action where AF would be necessary.

Way to go Scott!!!!!

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:50 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2768 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Mark, Peter, and Scott. I always love the color coming from the D2x.
Spring is here but where are the flower shots?

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2768 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I step away for a day and a half and suddenly we're talking about Voigtlander glass?

The natives must be restless... When you run out of Nikkors to buy, I guess you have to expand your horizons. Or in John's case, it is looking for the perfect kit that will fit in his backpack when he's scaling the peaks of Washington state. Clearly, Mihai has the problems with owning too many Nikkors... you can always send me the NOCT my friend... Lighten your load...

Edited on Apr 10, 2013 at 06:28 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:16 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2768 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dean, I'm happy you've been enjoying my work with Silver Efex Pro 2. Initially, I worked with the series of presets listed at the left. Then I began playing a bit with the sliders on the right to see how each affected the preset. I also checked how filters affected the appearance of the image. Then I began working with the original conversion doing essentially the same thing, working with brightness, contrast and structure before reviewing framing options.

When I began working with Photoshop many years ago, I was definitely a "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" sort of guy. I just started playing. Eventually I watched a few videos, but I basically learned by doing. I did the same thing with Lightroom and am now experimenting with SEP. I discovered that it really isn't possible to make mistakes that can't be corrected. Non-destructive processing is a dream. So the best way, in my opinion to find what you like with SEP, is to just begin moving sliders and seeing what you like.

I began playing with the 020 Fine Art Framed option, then reduced contrast slightly, reduced brightness slightly and added structure. Here is a shot I processed this way a moment ago... barbed wire taken yesterday with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, wide open.

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:27 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2768 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Dean, I'm happy you've been enjoying my work with Silver Efex Pro 2. Initially, I worked with the series of presets listed at the left. Then I began playing a bit with the sliders on the right to see how each affected the preset. I also checked how filters affected the appearance of the image. Then I began working with the original conversion doing essentially the same thing, working with brightness, contrast and structure before reviewing framing options.

When I began working with Photoshop many years ago, I was definitely a "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" sort of
...Show more

Curtis, love this shot! SEP's #20 Fine Art Framed preset is nice, but usually renders most subjects too bright.
Your conversion looks just like it should in my opinion

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:41 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2768 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We don't have much graffiti in our little town, so when I saw this I had to take a photo.
D600 35mm 1.4 F/8 1/160

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password