1       2       3              2763      
       2765              5885       5886       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2764 #1 · p.2764 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Last week we hardly had one sunny day, but during an afternnon a rare blue sky hole opened:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/8893641538_69701e064d_b.jpg
Blue sky hole during a rainy week by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 135mm f/2 AIS hand held, ISO 500, f/5.6 at 1/3200s.
A rare blue sky hole during a rainy & cloudy week. The yellowish cast at the bottom is because the air pollution near the big city horizon.

Nice image Jose. You certainly get some interesting skies where you live.

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:12 PM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2764 #2 · p.2764 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, at least you have some fine photos of that old ship.
Laura, very nice take of the jazz player, and the sideways curving landscape was the best of the observation tower photos.
Rafael, your 20 3.5 UD work is inspiring me to try harder with my copy. The sheepdog and the rear view of the 59 cruising grand chevy are the best.
Peter (Madison), lots of good work from you. The 55 1.2 is always fun to use. Waiting to see some 600 F4 work. I am curious too which version of the monster you have. The first two manual versions are more than double the weight of my tiny (by comparison) 500 F4 P, and trying to imagine carrying around the weight is making my ongoing backache worse
Jose, loved the sunset colors and the orange ball, as well as the hole showing the blue sky. And terrific blue and golden tanager with the 180 2.8!!
Z, Soie en Provence is beautiful in b&w. If its an Indian silk shop perhaps another time you could do some photography in your style inside the store. And great take of 'Il Padrino'.
Ronny, of your set the red and yellow flower is the best!
Curtis, very good find indeed in that 135 2.8 QC!
Ray(OH), super work with the man sitting in the stands and the green concrete and steel bridge.
John, liked the crossing boats in the night!
Leighton, only occasional stuff from you nowadays, but that strawberries in the hands and the disappearing legs is stellar!
Tony, the Yellowstone scenery pano is very pleasing.
Ben (Boston), great examples of 200 f2. Not sure I have seen pics from the manual version before.
Jorge, the smiling veteran in b&w is a great image.

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:43 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2764 #3 · p.2764 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Inspired by Ronny and Kevin, I mounted a 36mm Vivitar extension tube on the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd to capture in morning light some flowers those of you who've followed this thread for a year or more will surely recognize. I can only call these flowers whimsical since so little of each flower can be captured by the narrow focal plane created by tubes. You get a hint at a flower with a few tendrils sharp but most of the flower in a delicious blur... my favorite thing... This is a brilliant lens folks and two of them are now up for auction on E-Bay WITH the conversion kit installed... Start shopping...

This lens is surely the "poor man's" 135 f/2. $125 versus $625? Mmmm...

Jun 01, 2013 at 04:35 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2764 #4 · p.2764 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Inspired by Ronny and Kevin, I mounted a 36mm Vivitar extension tube on the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd to capture in morning light some flowers those of you who've followed this thread for a year or more will surely recognize. I can only call these flowers whimsical since so little of each flower can be captured by the narrow focal plane created by tubes. You get a hint at a flower with a few tendrils sharp but most of the flower in a delicious blur... my favorite thing... This is a brilliant lens folks and two of them are
...Show more

Love it! I think this is my favorite on tubes.

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:16 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2764 #5 · p.2764 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, somehow I think it's the six inches behind the viewfinder that's really working the magic

CGrindahl wrote:

My 35th lens was waiting for me when I arrived home this afternoon, the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd. It doesn't look nearly as pristine in person as in the photos, though that would have simply been good fortune to buy this version of the 135 WITH the AI conversion and receive an EX+ lens. The glass is perfect and I see nothing inside the lens to be of concern, but there are a few blemishes on the barrel.

I mounted it immediately and wandered down the street to take a few photos. First I noticed the 1.5 meter minimal focusing distance,
...Show more

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:38 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2764 #6 · p.2764 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, I got mine used at an exceptionally good price, but since it was a local sale I could try it out beforehand. Hope you find another one that works well for you.

georgms wrote:
Thank you, Curtis! I've played a lot with the idea to add a long lens like the 400/3.5 or 500/4 to my stable, but had so much fun with the PC 85/2.8 lately that I finally picked the (similar priced) 45. In the last months I've shot a lot pictures with the PC 85 tilted, not to create a shallow DoF, mainly to "connect" subjects like free standing sculptures and such. On many occasions the 85 was a bit too long for the task.
I hope that the return and re-transfer work fast and I can order a hopefully properly
...Show more

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:40 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2764 #7 · p.2764 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, I really like the last two, Concrete and Steel, and At The Game?.

pbraymond wrote:
Some contributions from the recent processing:

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:44 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2764 #8 · p.2764 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And a nice sunset it is !

jhinkey wrote:
Wow - the last couple of pages have been stunning!

- John (I have nothing to contribute except praise . . .)

EDIT - I take that back, I found this image that I had not done anything with from last week . . .
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/91/818091.jpg

Hope you got lots of shots on vacation, Chuong. Rough getting back in the groove after vacation though.

raboof wrote:
Just got back from my vacation. Catching up with the forum...

Nice one, Jose!

asiostygius wrote:
Last week we hardly had one sunny day, but during an afternnon a rare blue sky hole opened:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/8893641538_69701e064d_b.jpg
Blue sky hole during a rainy week by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 135mm f/2 AIS hand held, ISO 500, f/5.6 at 1/3200s.
A rare blue sky hole during a rainy & cloudy week. The yellowish cast at the bottom is because the air pollution near the big city horizon.

Hope you're feeling better, Peter.

Oosty wrote:
I've been pretty busy lately with no time to get the camera out.

I have however been scanning through the thread to keep up to date. There have been some really amazing pics lately with kit that makes my mouth water although my contention is that good photographs are made behind the viewfinder and enhanced by the glass in front of the camera. Not to single anyone out but Phillippe,Jose,Georg, Leighton, Laura and Curtis produce excellent pics with anything and Kevin has put many of us to shame with his "E" lenses. There are many others here too.

Away for the wekend
...Show more

Thanks Samy!

saph wrote:
Laura, very nice take of the jazz player, and the sideways curving landscape was the best of the observation tower photos.

Edited on Jun 01, 2013 at 06:26 PM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:55 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2764 #9 · p.2764 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Back from a wonderful week at the beach. We stayed in an old fashioned resort directly on Lido Beach in Sarasota. Relaxation was the order for the week and I can say with authority that we achieved just that!!!

Here's a down payment from the many photos taken over the week. D600 and 35mm 1.4 - 1/60 at F8

Jun 01, 2013 at 06:17 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2764 #10 · p.2764 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Peter (Madison), lots of good work from you. The 55 1.2 is always fun to use. Waiting to see some 600 F4 work. I am curious too which version of the monster you have. The first two manual versions are more than double the weight of my tiny (by comparison) 500 F4 P, and trying to imagine carrying around the weight is making my ongoing backache worse

Samy, I'm glad I bought the 55mm, because every time I use it the resulting image is a surprise - it is all about the rendering of the scene, which you cannot see in the viewfinder. It is probably the lens with the most difference between viewfinder preview and actual image recording I have ever used.

My long lens is serial #200184 - last type of the manual focus 600mm f4 by Nikon. It allegedly has better image quality than the prior version, so I was really looking for this late model (1986-1998, with mine made early in that period). I almost bought an early AFS version, but somehow I figured I should give the MF a shot first (at half price and near zero depreciation if I take care of it).

I didn't put it on a scale yet, but it feels no different than I recall the Canon 600, except that it seems more front heavy (no AF motor, I suppose). It's also skinnier in the back, so it looks lighter, but really isn't. It carries ok with the shoulder strap for short distances, but I haven't had a chance to do much with it, as it doesn't lend it to just come along with me on a bike ride to work. Weekends have been lawn work and other stuff lately, so I only have spent more money on it (lenscoat which doesn't fit right, lens hoodie, soon a TC, monopod....).

It's not a walk-around lens for sure, but I will take it places and use it extensively as soon as I get a decent opportunity. Once I get that TC-16a, I may even try my luck with birds - we have a great marsh about an hour from where I live that's quite famous for the number of birds migrating through it. On the other hand, I really don't care too much about sitting in a bug infested hot swamp hoping to get some feathered thing on camera, but maybe I'll get into it, having the lens as a reason to get out there, and if I don't see birds, I am sure I can take tubes along and shoot some bugs

Jun 01, 2013 at 06:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2764 #11 · p.2764 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot Curtis
Nice shot Ray

Jun 01, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2764 #12 · p.2764 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
great shots these last few pages everyone.

Leighton - love the woman holding the strawberries - everything works in that shot - even her blurred running shoes with the purple laces.

Phillippe - amazing work with the "humble" 50 f1.8 - really like the shot of the old man staken from above. Someone commented it was typical of your style - but to me it was very different, and I liked the new look. And thank you for giving us the reference to the poem - how were we expected to know that allusion without a bit of help.

Georg - spectacular B&Ws
...Show more

Thanks a lot Ben. We miss your pictures!

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2764 #13 · p.2764 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Very nice Philippe. I like this composition better than the previous closeup.

Thank you Scott. I agree with you. In fact, I don't really like the previous picture.

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2764 #14 · p.2764 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Les Baux de Provence with 50 1.8 :

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:30 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2764 #15 · p.2764 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Ronny. One of the workers told me it was one of the best sunsets of the year!
Phillippe very nice framing

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:46 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2764 #16 · p.2764 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3825/8909115490_4b6124aba5_b.jpg
nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D800 cruising grand 57 Chevy Sheepdog by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/rafabatlle/]Rafael
CA[/url], on Flickr

Rafael, really love how you focused on people this time - especially this hairy passenger who appears to be waiting for hot dog service on roller skates. Car shows are a great place to get graphics shots, but there are so many people around that you can't ignore them (usually they are in the way). Making them the subject really gives this set a lot more character than just showing steel and paint.

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:47 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2764 #17 · p.2764 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, your sunset at the beach is spectacular! Very well done. Have to try the 35/1.4 stopped down sometimes ;-)

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:11 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2764 #18 · p.2764 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Ray, your sunset at the beach is spectacular! Very well done. Have to try the 35/1.4 stopped down sometimes ;-)

Thanks Georg. The 35mm 1.4 owns a permanent place in my bag. Wide open or stopped down it is wonderful. I got to use Curtis's for an afternoon, so I knew when one became available at a price I could afford, it would be mine

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:17 PM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2764 #19 · p.2764 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis has been making so much noise about the 135 2.8 Q or QC that I decided to buy one, it has to have the ai kit and be like new, so it may take a few years.......

While looking for it I ran across this appears mint 200mm Q, it is the second version, the first does not have screws in the bayonet, I do have the proper ai kit #51, back from when I was looking for an ai kit for my QC. After a heady $60 investment in the lens, and $17 on the ai ring, I will now have the chrome nippon kogaku ring I always wanted, we will see how it performs.

$T2eC16h,!wsE9suw0QCLBRoQYgdRew~~60_57 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

$T2eC16Z,!yEE9s5jGJO1BRoQY,)5+g~~60_57 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The ai kit waiting

$T2eC16N,!yME9s5qF8ZwBRQK-6R2hw~~60_57 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:22 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2764 #20 · p.2764 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
After a heady $60 investment in the lens, and $17 on the ai ring, I will now have the chrome nippon kogaku ring I always wanted, we will see how it performs.

are you sure you didn't overspend on that?

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:43 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password