Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2759      
       2761              3821       3822       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2760 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Smaller cameras just don't feel comfortable in my hand. I might still have taken the plunge with the D600, keeping my D700, of course, except for the problems reported with that new camera. I know you haven't been troubled by dust or oil and I haven't heard complaints from Ray, so I'm assuming it is not a huge problem. But when I'm lukewarm about moving beyond the D700, such conversation diminishes my enthusiasm. I continue to look at both used D700s and refurbished D600s, but will likely do nothing but keep shooting with what I have.

For me, with average hands, etc. smaller cameras feel weird when up to my face, but much better when lugging them around. My FE2 feels so compact and light when it's slung around my shoulder, but really tiny and cramped when up to my face. My Panasonic GH-2 feels the same - great when not being used, but cramped when trying to operate it.

Kind of like a sub-compact car. Feels great in the driveway or parking spot and buzzing around downtown, but not so great when trying to haul people or furniture around. That's when I break out my neighbors pickup truck or our SUV . . .

That's why I'd love for Nikon to produce a DFM3A - same size, etc, but stripped down in capabilities (like no AF motor, no flash, low frame rate, single card, no video, etc. etc.). Yes it would be small, but minimize the buttons so you don't need all that surface area and I think it would be fine. It would be small and perhaps a bit cramped, but it would certainly be a joy to carry around - especially with my new-to-me 45/2.8P . . .

Edited on Apr 08, 2013 at 03:55 AM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:40 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2760 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Who knows Ray, the D600 might be comfortable in my hand, which isn't big either, but I've for so long hand a handful that it seems strange to hold a smaller camera. Point and shoot cameras frighten me. Cellphone are impossible. If folks ask me to take a photo with one I decline. I'll try a point and shoot but reluctantly.

As an aside, I checked EXIF data to see how many photos I took during Nikki's visit. Including all shots with all lenses beginning with the photo of the box when it arrived, to the last photo taken a Marin
...Show more

Oh man my mouth is watering. I'll take a shot of my SIL's first brew attempt when it's refreshment time later today.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:40 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2760 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Smaller cameras just don't feel comfortable in my hand. I might still have taken the plunge with the D600, keeping my D700, of course, except for the problems reported with that new camera. I know you haven't been troubled by dust or oil and I haven't heard complaints from Ray, so I'm assuming it is not a huge problem. But when I'm lukewarm about moving beyond the D700, such conversation diminishes my enthusiasm. I continue to look at both used D700s and refurbished D600s, but will likely do nothing but keep shooting with what I have.

jhinkey wrote:
For me, which average hands, etc. smaller cameras feel weird when up to my face, but much better when lugging them around. My FE2 feels so compact and light when it's slung around my shoulder, but really tiny and cramped when up to my face. My Panasonic GH-2 feels the same - great when not being used, but cramped when trying to operate it.

Kind of like a sub-compact car. Feels great in the driveway or parking spot and buzzing around downtown, but not so great when trying to haul people or furniture around. That's when I break out my neighbors
...Show more

I shot with a Panasonic FZ-50 for a few years and never liked how it felt compared to a full-sized DSLR. On the other hand, I LOVED the feel of my old F3.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:42 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2760 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Oh man my mouth is watering. I'll take a shot of my SIL's first brew attempt when it's refreshment time later today.

+100
This is what I would call "delicious photograph" Well done!

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:44 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2760 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ronny, Leighton, Dean and Samy.

Samy, Yes, it was a hot chocolate. That hot chocolate alone was worth the trip. It was molten paradise. I had two.

Onto the camera tests. Sorry you will get sick of this mountain. I promise some more interesting pics and a bit of information on the area later but here's a straight out lens test.
Mainly on the trip I was shooting the 35-70mm lens, great, versatile and such quality. To get a bit of extra reach I took the 75-150mm Series E f/3.5 and then I packed the 180mm and the TC201.

Here are 6 shots of a mountain from our camp site (all taken at F/8). The mountain is about 4km (2.5mi) from camp. The shots are with the 35mm at 35 and then 70mm, the 75-150 at 75 then 150mm and then with the 180 without and then with the TC. The 35mm of course is sharp across the frame at both the 35 and 70mm ends. I am amazed at the corner sharpness of this lens.
The 75-150mm is pretty sharp right across the frame at 75mm, a little corner softness and maybe a tickle CA at in the corners at 150mm but at the price it's pretty amazing and the centre of the frame is spot on.
The 180mm on it's own, no guesses that this is so sharp you could cut yourself. The 180 with the TC201 softens a little right across the frame, but even so I think it our-performs the 300 f/4.5 Ai that I own (the non-IF version) I think I will have to do some more tests there.

35-70mm at 35mm

35-70mm at 70mm

75-150mm at 75mm

75-150mm at 150mm

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2760 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You hit half of the grip problem John. On the backside the ridge for holding the thumb is much less pronounced on the D800. But it is the slightly narrower front grip that caused my fingers to cramp. The wider front grip on the D700 allows me to hold the camera without curling my fingers. Here is a screen shot showing the front of the two cameras.

You can see the narrowing of the front grip. That did me in...

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:49 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2760 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And the two shots with the 180mm + 100% crops from the corners of each lens.

180mm + TC201

180mm

35-70mm at 35mm LR corner

75-150mm at 75mm LR corner

180mm LR corner

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:52 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2760 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice mountain tops Mark and thanks for sharing your impressions on the combos used.

A panoramic view of the Bay of Naples from the mount Vesuvius:

Excuse the size, but the original was almost 7000 pixels at long side:

Bay of Naples from Vesuvius - 2-shots pano- Nikkor 16/3.5 by labecoaves, on Flickr

Soon before reaching the crater border of the Mount Vesuvius I took this picture of the Bay of Naples. Unfortunately there was some haze and air pollution. Herculaneum is near the left border, not far from the sea.

2 horizontal shots pano, no defishing or any kindo of lens "correction".
D7000 + Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd had held, ISO 100, f/8 at 1/500s.
As no polarizer was possible in this lens I abused of the "clarity" slider and made some "tonal contrast" to minimize the haze.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2760 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I promised a few more shots of my time with Nikki. I'd wanted to share a few photos of the colorful Victorian homes that are found all over San Francisco. The first image was shot with Nikki, the others with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd which was called for on narrow streets. San Francisco is noted for its "bay windows that thrust out from the front of a building, whether a single family home or apartment building. I've lived in buildings with this feature and it is quite lovely, especially for viewing up and down a street.

And here is a shot of the first set of Victorians but from farther into Alamo Square so you can see the distant skyline.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:01 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2760 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice set Curtis. To my eyes both Nikki and the 24/2.8 NC deliver beautiful colours and sharp images!

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2760 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And I need to add a few more cable car photos. San Francisco is famous for its cable cars, so I need to give them their due...

All shot with Nikki, the 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:08 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2760 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Nice set Curtis. To my eyes both Nikki and the 24/2.8 NC deliver beautiful colours and sharp images!

Thanks Jose. You're right, both of these lenses shine. A kit with the 24, 55, 85 and 105 makes for some fine shooting.

I didn't mention that the first photo is a panorama of three vertical shots put together quite beautifully by CS6.

Also Jose, to mention something I've noted before, backing off on luminance in the blue channel can really help with haze. I have to increase saturation a bit but it seems to be effective. If you didn't try that you might want to experiment a bit and see if it proves useful, as in the wide shot of Naples, which is a stunner, by the way.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:10 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2760 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I hesitate to share this image considering the magic of Dean's work in Hong Kong, but the conductor on the cable car insisted I sit on the right side so I'd have a view down Grant Street into the heart of San Francisco's Chinatown. Yes, there has been a vibrant Chinese community here since the Gold Rush in 1849 and this neighborhood continues to attract both tourists for the charm and locals who love the shops and restaurants, but... it is NOT Hong Kong. But, so be it...

This was shot with Nikki. What follows is a shot of the line waiting to board cable cars at Mission at the foot of Powell Street. This was taken with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:18 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2760 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I've tried my luck again by using MF-Nikkor's for ice-hockey. It might work well for goalie-portraits, but I'm unable to follow action. Here are two shots taken this evening:

D700 at ISO6400, 105/1.8 Ais at f/2, 1/800sec - tons of sharpening applied

D700 at ISO6400, 105/1.8 Ais at f/2, 1/1000sec - love the bokeh on the goalie ;-)

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:29 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2760 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Also Jose, to mention something I've noted before, backing off on luminance in the blue channel can really help with haze. I have to increase saturation a bit but it seems to be effective. If you didn't try that you might want to experiment a bit and see if it proves useful, as in the wide shot of Naples, which is a stunner, by the way.

Thanks Curtis for the tip. I will try next time, but where exactly I should backing off the luminance? At ACR or inside CS5, Where exactly? Sorry, but I am no PP expert, on the contrary

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:37 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2760 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Nice mountain tops Mark and thanks for sharing your impressions on the combos used.

A panoramic view of the Bay of Naples from the mount Vesuvius:

Excuse the size, but the original was almost 7000 pixels at long side:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8262/8629045614_f5cae77221_o.jpg
Bay of Naples from Vesuvius - 2-shots pano- Nikkor 16/3.5 by labecoaves, on Flickr

Soon before reaching the crater border of the Mount Vesuvius I took this picture of the Bay of Naples. Unfortunately there was some haze and air pollution. Herculaneum is near the left border, not far from the sea.

2 horizontal shots pano, no defishing or any kindo of lens "correction".
D7000 + Nikkor
...Show more

Wow Jose - love these images. You just keep pulling them out. It makes me want to head to Italy for our next big vacation!

Do you have any shots of the crater itself?

I also have haze problems with long distance shots, etc. and need to go into the blue channel and modify the curve. Sometimes this works sometimes not.

I've also found that on a clear blue day at low altitude everything has a blue cast to it due to the blue sky, I then need to warm up the scene a bit either with curves or by modifying the WB temperature (cloudy day settings sometimes work really well to take out the blue color cast that a bright blue day can produce).

Keep these images coming - me and my girls are loving them!

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:51 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2760 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Curtis for the tip. I will try next time, but where exactly I should backing off the luminance? At ACR or inside CS5, Where exactly? Sorry, but I am no PP expert, on the contrary

My guess would be in ACR. That is where I do it and how I pull out fringing.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:57 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2760 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just some brief notes after looking at the past pages:

Jose, love the Bay of Naples! I still have to try my 16/3.5 on DX - maybe I will give it a go in the coming days.
It would make a nice wide-angle-lens for my old D100 (IR-conversion planned).

Reagan, good job with the 105/2.5! The cactus-shots look pretty sharp

Peter, the Protea-image is great! Love the D200's colors and the crisp detail.

Philippe, great to see you posting here again! The spring-cleaning pictures are excellent (and the other ones are not too shabby too ). I've missed your distinctive style.

Samy, wow, the images taken with the 500/4P and the TC16A are fantastic. Personal favorite is the first Cardinal-portrait.

Leighton, very nice work at the market!

Rafael, thanks for sharing your impressions about the fast 50/55's. Sorry to hear about the broken pipe - but you've made the best out of it (=good pictures). The sculptures-shots are awesome - love the rendering of the 55/1.2.

Mark, love the very first mountain-view and the tiny violet blossom.

Jeff, very nice poppies!

Sam, the Iris is beautifully taken - love the smooth bokeh!

Philip, nice to see your beautiful work here again! I like both "girl-portraits".

Chin, love the nightly Singapore-image!

Ronny great work with the 180/2.8! Your focusing-skills are top-notch!

John, great to see some close-range-action-shots with the tiny 45/2.8!

Designdog, please keep your fine images coming! The 25-50/4 is pretty high on my personal wish-list.

Ray from Ohio - I like the stitched bridge a lot! I wouldn't do anything further in PS.

Jorge, that's outstanding photography at the fair. Emotions pure - extremely well captured.

Kevin, love the plants taken with the 135/2.8! Very nice colors and I like the bokeh.

Curtis, I really like your San-Francisco-images. Hard to pick a fav - maybe the creamy (in every way ;-) Irish Coffee.

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:04 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2760 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I took some shots with the D600 and 85mm 1.4. After the firmware update this camera seems much sharper. These are all at 2.8

Cropped close up

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:26 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2760 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis I love the S. F. photos especially the painted ladies
Jose what a great Pano!
Mark what thrilling views!
Georg I can't believe what you can do with action shots on MF

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:34 PM
1       2       3              2759