Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2758      
       2760              4370       4371       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2759 #1 · p.2759 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What's the Point
105 2.5

Reagan

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    105mm    f/2.5    1/2500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    105mm    f/4.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:18 PM
designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2759 #2 · p.2759 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very nice, Reagan. I'd say those were sharp photos!

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:34 PM
designdog
• •
p.2759 #3 · p.2759 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

OK, not that anybody is asking, but I think I finally got the optimum work flow figured out. This is the one.

First, convert all of your favorite Lightroom presets to ACR, per the link I posted above. Not all of them, just your favorites.
    Then, proceed to do all of your work in Lightroom, as before.
    Now, when you need an edit that is better accomplished in Photoshop, chose "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop" from the Photo/Edit In menu in the Lightroom Develop module.
    In Photoshop, make your edits, and save.
    Return to Lightroom. You will see a tiff or psd (depending on your preferences) file, and the original raw file. At this point you can forget, even trash the latter.
    For any further edits you want to make DO THEM IN PHOTOSHOP, by selecting "Edit in Photoshop" from the Lightroom Develop Photo/Edit menu.
    Save and return to Lightroom.

What does all of this give you? It allows you to continue to make raw edits, albeit on a Smart Object, after you have made Photoshop pixel edits. All you have to do is double click the Smart Object layer in PS, and you will be brought to ACR, where you can change the original raw edits you made in Lightroom. Plus, since you converted several of your presets as above, you can play with them in ACR now.

To me, this combines the UI of Lightroom and the ultimate, never-ending editing capability of Photoshop...

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:47 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2759 #4 · p.2759 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter -Very interesting national flower, I'd like to see one open.

Reagan - Love the first one!

David - That's all well and good except I can't open from LR as a smart object as I only have elements. Oh well.

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:06 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2759 #5 · p.2759 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
Quick question ... those of you who have gone from a D700 to a D800, do you find that the D800 over exposes a lot?

It's driving me a bit crazy actually Seems to happen way, way, way more than it did with my D700.

I have to admit ... in my situation a D800 really didn't give me much over the D700. In many ways I kind of like the D700 better.

I observed after using Don Jean's D800 for a week before I sent it on to him, that I wasn't happy with the new, thinner grip, which contributed to cramping when I held the camera for an extended period of time. I also wasn't happy with the huge files, that really give me little I need. I don't print, so the only justification for the huge files would be to give me a greater capability to crop images. But given my unhappiness with the feel of the camera in my hand, that slight advantage seemed irrelevant.

I checked out the D600 which definitely has a sensible sensor size and great performance, but the build quality doesn't measure up to what I've been using for the past six years. The D700 was a step up on build quality from the Canon 5D, but that too was a full-sized body that fit well in my hand. I continue to toy with the idea of picking up a D600 but I love the D700 so much, that I come back over and over again, to waiting for the next cycle of FX cameras. Perhaps like the DX folks waiting for a D400, I'll be waiting forever, but the D700 is a special camera. If it ends up being the last camera I own, I will hardly be suffering. It never disappoints.

Perhaps you've read Kitty's riff titled Really sick of recent Nikon QC in which she laments the fact new D700 cameras are no longer available. She says...

If there would be any D700 to be sold, i would throw this POS to trash can and buy 10 of D700s and call it a done for rest of my life.
I would be crazy to buy any expensive camera or lens from Nikon with this experience.
GRRRRRRR!

She's a working pro with top end gear.

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:42 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2759 #6 · p.2759 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
One more from this morning's walk with the 400mm + TC-16A.

This time a small bird, I believe the Eastern Bluebird. Again handheld, 1/1600s, ISO 1250, lens wide open for an effective aperture about f/9.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/sa_maryland_fotofun/Birds/EasternBlueBird_zpsb2bcfbe3.jpg

You're making Jose smile with shots like this Samy and I'm definitely smiling with him. This a gorgeous. Do we love that humble lens or what? Very nicely done.

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2759 #7 · p.2759 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love your last set Peter. I also love the fact that you continue to shoot with a D200 which has always had a reputation for producing outstanding images while struggling only in low light. I know the viewfinder is not a bright as FX cameras but you keep finding the way. Well done!

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:48 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2759 #8 · p.2759 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
Quick question ... those of you who have gone from a D700 to a D800, do you find that the D800 over exposes a lot?

It's driving me a bit crazy actually Seems to happen way, way, way more than it did with my D700.

I have to admit ... in my situation a D800 really didn't give me much over the D700. In many ways I kind of like the D700 better.

If there would be any D700 to be sold, i would throw this POS to trash can and buy 10 of D700s and call it a done for rest of my life.
I would be crazy to buy any expensive camera or lens from Nikon with this experience.
GRRRRRRR!

CGrindahl wrote:
I observed after using Don Jean's D800 for a week before I sent it on to him, that I wasn't happy with the new, thinner grip, which contributed to cramping when I held the camera for an extended period of time. I also wasn't happy with the huge files, that really give me little I need. I don't print, so the only justification for the huge files would be to give me a greater capability to crop images. But given my unhappiness with the feel of the camera in my hand, that slight advantage seemed irrelevant.

I checked out the D600
...Show more

I know this off topic from what Dean wanted to know but...adding the grip on the D600 made all the difference for me. Just my 2 cents. Sorry Dean, that didn't help at all.

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:57 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2759 #9 · p.2759 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
OK, not that anybody is asking, but I think I finally got the optimum work flow figured out. This is the one.

First, convert all of your favorite Lightroom presets to ACR, per the link I posted above. Not all of them, just your favorites.
    Then, proceed to do all of your work in Lightroom, as before.
    Now, when you need an edit that is better accomplished in Photoshop, chose "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop" from the Photo/Edit In menu in the Lightroom Develop module.
    In Photoshop, make your edits, and save.
    Return to Lightroom. You will see a tiff or psd (depending on

What does all of this give you? It allows you to continue to make raw edits, albeit on a Smart Object, after you have made Photoshop pixel edits. All you have to do is double click the Smart Object layer in PS, and you will be brought to ACR, where you can change the original raw edits you made in Lightroom. Plus, since you converted several of your presets as above, you can play with them in ACR now.

To me, this combines the UI of Lightroom and the ultimate, never-ending editing capability of Photoshop...
...Show more

Personally, I more enjoy working on images in Lightroom than in PS. Yes, each file ultimately passes through PS, but typically only for re-sizing and a final pass of Smart Sharpen before conversion to an 8 bit file and saving as a JPEG. Original photos remain in folders created upon import and kept on a dedicated partition in my internal hard drive. Lightroom modifications are kept in the same folder which is regularly backed up using SuperDuper. Processed photos are kept on a different hard drive and organized by location. For example, all the photos taken with our traveling lens are kept in a folder titled 2013 Nikki Visit. That drive is also regularly backed up with SuperDuper.

Folders containing processed images are typically uploaded to my Picasa account. The Picasa software on my computer is set so that as new photos are added to each folder, they are automatically uploaded to my online Picasa account.

I generally don't use pre-sets. I will occasionally copy processing settings when working with multiple files I may wish to merge but otherwise I simply work with individual images to find the look I want. Of late I've been playing quite a bit with Nik tools, but that is a new and evolving process. Granted, I don't shoot for a living, so the number of images I handle is generally not large. I can afford the time it takes to process individual images. I quite enjoy the process. Of course, I'm retired so my time is my own.

A final matter, I use a naming convention for my files that includes the lens used, as well as tubes or converters used. This can help me identify the lens when other means are unavailable for doing so. It works.

This is a useful topic because there are many different approaches to handling files and often fresh ideas arise when the topic is being discussed.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:03 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2759 #10 · p.2759 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Out with a camera in our "in town" nature reserve resurrected from an old quarry many years ago. Nature has taken it back with a little help and it supports a large variety of indigenous flora, birds and small animals.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/36/795536.jpg

Peter, excellent set, I liked the first 3 and specially this one.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

asiostygius
• • • •
p.2759 #11 · p.2759 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
You're making Jose smile with shots like this Samy and I'm definitely smiling with him. This a gorgeous. Do we love that humble lens or what? Very nicely done.

Agreed

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:07 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2759 #12 · p.2759 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It makes sense Leighton, that moving from the D7000, the D600 would work for you. But you also have a long history with Nikon, so you doubtless recall the feel of a full-sized camera. I don't know whether you've shot with the D700 but it is a handful. When I was upgrading from my first DSLR during my Canon days, there was no FX option available. The newest Digital Rebel that replaced the 300D I was using, had a much bigger sensor in a much smaller body. I simply couldn't handle it and so moved to the much more expensive 20D which felt much better in my hand. Next I tried a 1D which I loved, but the full-sized professional camera was too heavy and made the plunge to buy the 5D which has recently been released. I enjoyed that camera a great deal and as you know still owned it when I bought the D700.

Smaller cameras just don't feel comfortable in my hand. I might still have taken the plunge with the D600, keeping my D700, of course, except for the problems reported with that new camera. I know you haven't been troubled by dust or oil and I haven't heard complaints from Ray, so I'm assuming it is not a huge problem. But when I'm lukewarm about moving beyond the D700, such conversation diminishes my enthusiasm. I continue to look at both used D700s and refurbished D600s, but will likely do nothing but keep shooting with what I have.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:12 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2759 #13 · p.2759 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy you work with the birds is amazing. It's so good I stop and look at everyone!
Rafael You can display a lens capability like no one else.
Mark your vacation photos are wonderful. Especially the first one!
Leighton I know you must be excited to have your market back. Long winter huh?
Phillippe great to see you are still making those great images!
Jose I love the reserve photos. Lovely water lily!
Reagan I like your new style!

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:15 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2759 #14 · p.2759 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Jeff, Leighton,
Peter (yes, Thomas has a very nice and resourceful site),
and Reagan (are you speaking on the "mosaic birds" ? , right? If not, Samy deserves the credits on the beautiful birds).
Ray, the beautiful flowers are from Peter!

Jeff, splendid flowers;

Mark, loved the flower isolation;

Rafael, thanks for sharing your excellent test shots and impressions with the 55/1.2;

Samy, great work with the TC-16A;

Reagan, I liked your "points".

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:16 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2759 #15 · p.2759 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love your last set Reagan, especially the first image. I think your brief sojourn with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s solidified your appreciation for bokeh play, which is fully evident in that first shot. The 105 f/2.5 in all its iterations is a great performer when doing that kind of work. Though a tube on and you'll be amazed at when that little lens can do in close. Glad to see you're getting out and about with your D600.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:19 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2759 #16 · p.2759 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
It makes sense Leighton, that moving from the D7000, the D600 would work for you. But you also have a long history with Nikon, so you doubtless recall the feel of a full-sized camera. I don't know whether you've shot with the D700 but it is a handful. When I was upgrading from my first DSLR during my Canon days, there was no FX option available. The newest Digital Rebel that replaced the 300D I was using, had a much bigger sensor in a much smaller body. I simply couldn't handle it and so moved to the much more expensive
...Show more

No oil here so maybe they have addressed the issue with the newer released models.
I can see how a grip might just make the difference in the D600 for some folks. I had a grip with most of my Canon cameras although the one series had it built in. I just got to the point with my small hands I prefer my camera with out the grip.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:28 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2759 #17 · p.2759 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:

It does seem like it exposes a bit on the high side compared to my D700, BUT it also seems like it has more highlight headroom than the D700 did. Even so, I tend to have it set to -0.3 EV at times just to make sure the highlights are not clipped even in RAW when I'm in A mode. If I'm shooting in M-mode it just doesn't matter.

For me I like the D800 because:
- Dual card slots (I use the SD card as overflow from the CF)
- 100% Viewfinder!!!!
- Lack of banding at high ISO and bright point light sources
- f/8 AF capability
- A bit lighter
- Higher DR for same output size
- Greater than 12MP for more cropping potential
- Fewer bad pixels despite having 3x more total pixels

What I didn't like about the D800 compared to the D700:
- 36MP - eating up my hard drives 3x faster! 24MP would have been better.
- Amp glow seems worse at times
- Shadows go blue much more when being pulled up - needs lots of fixing in NX2 or CS6
- Does seem to overexpose a bit a times, though highlight headroom seems better, so maybe this is a wash
- Live view implementation is still sub-par (even after the FW update) compared to D700
- Video - could have done without it to save some cost, weight, etc. . . . my GH-2 is far far better for any kind of video
- Grip is not as secure w/o the higher thumb rest of the D700
- I like the looks of the D700 better

John

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:34 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2759 #18 · p.2759 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Who knows Ray, the D600 might be comfortable in my hand, which isn't big either, but I've for so long hand a handful that it seems strange to hold a smaller camera. Point and shoot cameras frighten me. Cellphone are impossible. If folks ask me to take a photo with one I decline. I'll try a point and shoot but reluctantly.

As an aside, I checked EXIF data to see how many photos I took during Nikki's visit. Including all shots with all lenses beginning with the photo of the box when it arrived, to the last photo taken a Marin Brewing Company, I shot 2,453 photos. Here is that last shot...

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:37 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2759 #19 · p.2759 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
It makes sense Leighton, that moving from the D7000, the D600 would work for you. But you also have a long history with Nikon, so you doubtless recall the feel of a full-sized camera. I don't know whether you've shot with the D700 but it is a handful. When I was upgrading from my first DSLR during my Canon days, there was no FX option available. The newest Digital Rebel that replaced the 300D I was using, had a much bigger sensor in a much smaller body. I simply couldn't handle it and so moved to the much more expensive
...Show more

Yes, I have shot with the D700 and loved the feel of it. But when it came down to the deciding factor of IQ the D600 won out over the D700.

I did have sensor dust/oil, but a wet clean took care of that. I understand now that cameras being sent in to Nikon for cleaning are getting their shutters replaced. This tells me that they have discovered and fixed the problem.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:37 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2759 #20 · p.2759 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Leighton I know you must be excited to have your market back. Long winter huh?

You better know it! Gonna be in the 70's here this week.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:38 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password